AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-21, 18:05   Link #41
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
What series would this be?
Sugar Dark: The Buried Darkness and the Girl

Its also in ann: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...rk-light-novel

Also, I'm expecting another Haruhi Season for 2011!
Old 2010-02-21, 18:09   Link #42
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post

Also, I'm expecting another Haruhi Season for 2011!
Alas, after looking for three days, I find it only to be beaten to the punch. While I was mistaken that it was a series, I knew it was the first novel to win the grand prize since Haruhi.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-21, 20:09   Link #43
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
I'm pretty sure KyoAni is relieved and happy that Tanigawa finally is releasing his novel.
Wait, what?

Confirmation where?
Old 2010-02-22, 16:08   Link #44
Leo Keichi

There was a confirmation that Tanigawa was writing the 10th novel, but it was a while ago and I'm starting to become suspicious already.

Kadokawa won't simply drop Haruhi. Why would they do that? The fans would be inconsolable. Personally I believe the light novels will take really long to be finished, and there may be even a change of animation studio, but it won't end anytime soon.

I really hope they animate the drama CD, Sound Around, and Haruhi theater, as well. These are some of my favourite stories, and seeing the SOS brigade in medieval clothes would be hilarious.

Quote:
I got interested in the anime industry itself after reading that it's actually not doing so well right now. It shocked me because I have hardcore anime fans as friends around me, and hang out with a bunch of anime fans from all over my country.
I've been an anime fan since 2004, and people always say that the industry is in crisis, even when it's blooming. So, there's no way this supposed crisis is so strong. In the worst case scenario, anyway, there will always be anime in Japan.
Old 2010-02-22, 16:14   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My shot-in-the-dark prediction...

There will either be a new Haruhi anime season by Winter 2011, or one Haruhi movie per year (until the source material is caught up to/exhausted) if that's the route Kadokawa/KyoAni decides to go.

Just a slightly educated guess on my part.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-02-22 at 16:30.
Old 2010-02-22, 16:44   Link #46
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
I really hope they animate the drama CD, Sound Around, and Haruhi theater, as well. These are some of my favourite stories, and seeing the SOS brigade in medieval clothes would be hilarious.
Haruhi theater at least (I'm not sure about Sound Around) would probably be a good OAD/ONA like Haruhi-chan, since they aren't really canon to go with the tv series. I suspect that Kadokawa might not want to animate some of the later novels until more gets written (judging by the background characters and things we've seen already that tie into later novels), and that could be a good source of material.
Old 2010-02-22, 18:47   Link #47
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My shot-in-the-dark prediction...

There will either be a new Haruhi anime season by Winter 2011, or one Haruhi movie per year (until the source material is caught up to/exhausted) if that's the route Kadokawa/KyoAni decides to go.

Just a slightly educated guess on my part.
Hmm, this is an interesting speculation. I think book 7 certainly could be made into a movie-

Spoiler for w00t:

As for the rest of the material:

Books 9 and 10 would have to be handled very delicately by the studio to make a good movie out of it, but the payoff could be huge. It's a very interesting sci-fi premise and would continue the Haruhi franchise's tradition of presenting non-linear stories and challenging anime genre conventions. On that note, I could see 9 and 10 being awkward in an episodic format, and possibly leading fans to accuse Kadokawa of more E8 trickery. A movie format with the higher budget would help that story a lot.

The rest of the material doesn't seem cohesive enough in my mind to make into another movie or to run as a season all on its own, soooo what could they do? Exactly what they did with BLR, E8 and Sighs: Run it as a sort of 'bonus' mini-season to keep up the hype for the franchise, provide the necessary backstory to compliment the upcoming movies (ie. Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru pre-book 7 the way BLR and E8 did for Disappearance), and handle the less adaptable works in a format that lets them stand on their own and take up a meaningful spot in the narrative.

Also, great avatar. Too bad about Canada's performance against the US. D:

Last edited by Airman8; 2010-02-22 at 18:48. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-02-23, 00:56   Link #48
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman8 View Post
Hmm, this is an interesting speculation. I think book 7 certainly could be made into a movie-

Spoiler for w00t:

As for the rest of the material:

Books 9 and 10 would have to be handled very delicately by the studio to make a good movie out of it, but the payoff could be huge. It's a very interesting sci-fi premise and would continue the Haruhi franchise's tradition of presenting non-linear stories and challenging anime genre conventions. On that note, I could see 9 and 10 being awkward in an episodic format, and possibly leading fans to accuse Kadokawa of more E8 trickery. A movie format with the higher budget would help that story a lot.

The rest of the material doesn't seem cohesive enough in my mind to make into another movie or to run as a season all on its own, soooo what could they do? Exactly what they did with BLR, E8 and Sighs: Run it as a sort of 'bonus' mini-season to keep up the hype for the franchise, provide the necessary backstory to compliment the upcoming movies (ie. Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru pre-book 7 the way BLR and E8 did for Disappearance), and handle the less adaptable works in a format that lets them stand on their own and take up a meaningful spot in the narrative.
Another option for Novel 6/8 material would be OVAs, like what Shana is having right now. Just a few stand-alone episodes spread out a lot.

This isn't really KyoAni/Kadokawa's style, really, but it might work well if Novels 7 and 9 get the movie treatment.

Quote:

Also, great avatar. Too bad about Canada's performance against the US. D:
Glad you like the avatar!

As for Canada... oh well, if they beat Germany, they face Russia, and that will be a great game!

Asakura's new country against DemitryEV's country... whoever will DemitryEV root for?
Old 2010-02-23, 01:55   Link #49
DmitryEV

Send a message via ICQ to DmitryEV
Quote:
As for Canada... oh well, if they beat Germany, they face Russia, and that will be a great game!

Asakura's new country against DemitryEV's country... whoever will DemitryEV root for?
Yes, this will be great game, if they beat Germany of course. Let strongest will win!
I will root for Russia.

On topic:

IMHO, it would be better if Kyoani will make TV series, not OVA from other novels.
Old 2010-02-23, 02:38   Link #50
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yeah, I'd look forward to more actual anime, rather than just specials.
Old 2010-02-23, 03:32   Link #51
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

a few specials would be nice, but not all material should be made into ova.
Old 2010-02-23, 10:17   Link #52
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Regardless of how you enforce laws and enable digital rights management, there will always be people out there who are not going to purchase your product and there will be people who will either watch at someone else's house or obtain a copy from someone who owns it. That's automatically someone that's not going to buy a product.

What fansubs have done is enable people outside of Japan to be able to find shows they otherwise would not have seen (like Haruhi) and support them by buying other merchandise. As I've posted before, I'm buying the R2 Haruhi DVDs, and have ordered the Gensou DVD, and the Disappearance/ENOZ CDs as well as the guidebook. I plan to get a R1 copy of the new episodes so I can understand the extra features and complete that set as well.

If I had not been able to originally watch the fansubs, I wouldn't have purchased the limited edition R1 DVDs, much less what I've already bought, so there are people like me and TMISDR who would likely not have bought any merchandise if they hadn't been pirated from TV broadcasts.

Also think about other merchandise such as figures and toys for other various shows. I know of several people on another board who buy tons of Japanese Kamen Rider and Super Sentai toys that would not have been possible unless fansubs were not available.

Piracy isn't always a bad thing. Will there be people who won't buy anything, yes! But those people will always and have always existed. Enthrall people with a quality product and they will support the show regardless of cost. It's also a two-way street. If you really like a show, buy something for it, even if it's a single or a figure to show your support.
I'm not sure about the actual figures, but I have a feeling why Haruhi can be such a great success despite the predominance of piracy and fan-subs is because the profits earned from the merchandise is way, way higher than the loss of profits from piracy. This similarly should be the case for other animes as well. There are a variety of spill-over effects from the launch of the anime. I agree with Megax-san in that there will always be free-loaders who simply watch the anime and not contribute anything towards the earnings. But for each free-loader there will almost certainly be another hardcore fan who buys figurine after figurine, DVDs after DVDs and trading cards after trading cards (that's me). So I really don't buy the whole 'piracy-is-causing-the-anime-industry-to-suffer' theory. Hollywood suffers from piracy because they do not have merchandise to profit from other than DVDs.

That said, anyone knows what are the major names in animation these days? I know KyoAni is one, but any others?

Quote:
There was a confirmation that Tanigawa was writing the 10th novel, but it was a while ago and I'm starting to become suspicious already.

I've been an anime fan since 2004, and people always say that the industry is in crisis, even when it's blooming. So, there's no way this supposed crisis is so strong. In the worst case scenario, anyway, there will always be anime in Japan.
Apparently, Tanigawa is 'readying the novel for publication'. I don't know what that can mean. Maybe settling promotions for the novel or something?

I haven't followed any of the official Haruhi releases outside of the anime and light novels, so I can't judge the awesomeness of the drama CD and Haruhi theater. Mainly because I don't understand anything without subs

So what exactly is this crisis people are talking about? I'm lost on this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post

My, my. The plot sounds pretty dull to me so far, but the animation shown in the video given by the link stirs my interest. Last time I watched something distinctly like this it was in Bakemonogatari (but their animation techniques and style are pretty hard to follow, to be honest), so I'm looking forward to seeing what Kadokawa and KyoAni, the backers of Haruhi, can do with this light novel.

Quote:
Given your new avatar and the ongoing Olympics, I was wondering what on Earth has Asakura got to do Canada when I realized that she's technically a Canadian now

Wonder if she can fit in if she really went over there, though
Old 2010-02-23, 10:32   Link #53
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Well, she could fit easily at the school and almost instantly become class rep...
So she shouldnt have problem in Canada...

So we wont see any Haruhi getting animated for a while huh...
Hope they decided to take back the statement...
Old 2010-02-23, 10:56   Link #54
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
That said, anyone knows what are the major names in animation these days? I know KyoAni is one, but any others?
Sunrise is still probably one of the biggest names in anime, and I'm sure Gainax is up there, as well. Can't really say much for other studios, though.

Quote:
I haven't followed any of the official Haruhi releases outside of the anime and light novels, so I can't judge the awesomeness of the drama CD and Haruhi theater. Mainly because I don't understand anything without subs
The drama CD has been available on YT off and on for a while, and Haruhi Theatre was an official side-story published in the sneaker. Both have English translations available. (Rather, both did have them. Theatre kinda went down with the rest of the Baka-Tsuki translation project. )
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2010-02-23, 16:29   Link #55
Leo Keichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Haruhi theater at least (I'm not sure about Sound Around) would probably be a good OAD/ONA like Haruhi-chan, since they aren't really canon to go with the tv series. I suspect that Kadokawa might not want to animate some of the later novels until more gets written (judging by the background characters and things we've seen already that tie into later novels), and that could be a good source of material.
No, but Haruhi theater can be considered canon. It was written by Tanigawa himself, and I believe there's nothing that contradicts the novels.

Quote:
The names I'm most familiar with are KyoAni, J. C. Staff, Madhouse, and SHAFT, but there must be others as well.

Quote:
So what exactly is this crisis people are talking about? I'm lost on this point.
See, that's my point. I don't know what crisis is this, either.
Old 2010-02-23, 20:05   Link #56
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
No, but Haruhi theater can be considered canon. It was written by Tanigawa himself, and I believe there's nothing that contradicts the novels.
I dunno, wasn't it an immersion RPG virtual reality thing? I'm not even sure where it would fit in the timeline, and seems to be more of a sidestory that isn't really meant to be part of the main story, even if it doesn't necessarily contradict canon.

Either way, because of what Haruhi Theater is, it's a great candidate for an OAD/ONA, especially considering the last two sets of tv episodes and how they were put together.
Old 2010-02-24, 03:16   Link #57
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Yeah... Not contradicting the novels and written by the author doesn't mean it's canon. Having the characters play completely different characters in completely different settings from the novels kinda means it isn't.
Old 2010-02-24, 08:22   Link #58
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Yeah... Not contradicting the novels and written by the author doesn't mean it's canon. Having the characters play completely different characters in completely different settings from the novels kinda means it isn't.
I agree.

Haruhi Theater was kind of fun, but the SOS Brigade (except Kyon, perhaps) felt a bit out of character to me there.
Old 2010-02-24, 08:39   Link #59
roankun
Tsundere Lover

Quote:
Haruhi Theater was kind of fun, but the SOS Brigade (except Kyon, perhaps) felt a bit out of character to me there.
alright. i'm lost. wth is haruhi theater?
Old 2010-02-24, 10:12   Link #60
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
But it was referred to in SMS, IIRC.