Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2016-01-20, 01:52   Link #41
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
A transgendered person is still the gender/sex s/he was born with. If they want to be treated as the opposite gender/sex, then they should get themselves operated on and transformed into the gender/sex of their desire
Surgery is far too high of a bar, especially since such things are as John Oliver said "medically speaking none of your fucking business" because its irrelevant to most people you'll ever interact with because it's a very personal matter. Additionally the Surgery costs more than a new car or even houses in some cases and generally most insurances won't put a dime towards it because they can get away with the discrimination currently, so you ask people to wait potentially a very long & absurdly unfair time to be treated as who they are.

The medical community, & psych community both agree with allowing transgender people to change gender markers after hormone treatment has been going for some time under the doctors watch with them signing off for it, which is what the law generally is in most reasonable places.

Quote:
as that is the only way regular people will be able to tell that they are what they claim to be.
No it's not after enough time with HRT & a few other non-surgical steps, most people wouldn't be able to tell generally.

Quote:
I see no reason why they deserve special treatment, just because they feel like they're different from the others.
How is it wanting to be special to be allowed to use the bathroom that matches your appearance & your legal identification like anyone else?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 01:34   Link #42
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I don't know about you, but I do not regularly force people to reveal their genitals to me so that I may discern their gender.
Part of why I do not think it's as big a deal as it would seem. You might not even notice in most cases. And you might care in an even smaller amount of cases. Because, indeed, we probably all have ways of separating male from female without looking at their genitals.

Since we're going onto fears and troubles about giving a minority special treatment when in reality it's going to matter in a minority of cases regarding that minority

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-21, 02:58   Link #43
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Surgery is far too high of a bar, especially since such things are as John Oliver said "medically speaking none of your fucking business" because its irrelevant to most people you'll ever interact with because it's a very personal matter. Additionally the Surgery costs more than a new car or even houses in some cases and generally most insurances won't put a dime towards it because they can get away with the discrimination currently, so you ask people to wait potentially a very long & absurdly unfair time to be treated as who they are.

The medical community, & psych community both agree with allowing transgender people to change gender markers after hormone treatment has been going for some time under the doctors watch with them signing off for it, which is what the law generally is in most reasonable places.

No it's not after enough time with HRT & a few other non-surgical steps, most people wouldn't be able to tell generally.
Whatever works.

Quote:
How is it wanting to be special to be allowed to use the bathroom that matches your appearance & your legal identification like anyone else?
Doesn't that mean you'd have the use the bathroom you don't want, which is what this whole issue seems to revolve around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Part of why I do not think it's as big a deal as it would seem. You might not even notice in most cases. And you might care in an even smaller amount of cases. Because, indeed, we probably all have ways of separating male from female without looking at their genitals.

Since we're going onto fears and troubles about giving a minority special treatment when in reality it's going to matter in a minority of cases regarding that minority
And yet, this extremely small minority apparently deems this important enough to matter. What am I missing here, if anything?
Old 2016-01-21, 14:11   Link #44
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
And yet, this extremely small minority apparently deems this important enough to matter. What am I missing here, if anything?
My point was to address concerns about this being a problem, aka the cons of allowing such a thing. The concept that them transgender people are somehow imposing themselves into the bathroom is not involved here.

You can claim transgender are making a big deal out of using a bathroom, but I could also claim others are making a big deal out of them using them too. Otherwise this issue wouldn't exist. It's clearly a sensitive issue for both ends.

But I suppose context is needed-- this is the United States and we do have a number of groups in power that will make a huge panic over a large amount of issues.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2016-01-21 at 14:35.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-02, 23:23   Link #45
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

South Dakota governor vetoes bill that would have restricted transgender students’ access to school restrooms

Quote:
South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard (R) has vetoed a bill that would have been the first in the nation to restrict transgender students’ access to school restrooms and locker rooms, a move that came after LGBT rights activists waged a furious campaign against the measure.

In a message to state lawmakers announcing his veto, Daugaard said that the bill would have introduced a new statewide mandate that “does not address any pressing issue concerning the school districts of South Dakota.”

“Instead of encouraging local solutions, this bill broadly regulates in a manner that invites conflict and litigation, diverting energy and resources from the education of the children of this state,” Daugaard wrote, emphasizing that local school districts should be able to decide how to handle questions about bathroom use without interference from the state or federal government.

Daugaard’s decision came days after meeting with transgender youth to hear their personal stories and their reasons for opposing the bill, which would have required that students use the public school restrooms that correspond with their biological sex instead of their gender identity. Transgender students would have been allowed under the bill to ask their schools for “reasonable accommodations,” such as a single-stall teachers’ bathroom.

He announced the veto just hours before a deadline to act on the bill.

Had it been enacted, the South Dakota law would have been in direct conflict with federal civil rights policy, and schools could have faced the possibility of losing millions of dollars in federal funding.

The president of the nation’s largest LGBT rights organization cheered the governor’s decision. “Today, the voices of fairness and equality prevailed, and these students’ rights and dignity prevailed against overwhelming odds and vicious opponents in the state legislature,” said Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign.
This was way too close of a call for how dangerous this bill is with it nearly becoming law honestly. It's refreshing to see a Republican acting so sensible about an LGBT issue for a change, as Dennis Daugaard's veto of it was well written and very reasonably I have to say.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
human rights, lgbt, transgender