AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black 2nd Season - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 33 32.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 35.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 15.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.94%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.98%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-14, 01:45   Link #101
laboo

has anyone considered that Hei was too quick to judge, thinking it was Yin who killed Norio's mother... i mean, Yin's observation ghost was there, but we still don't know anything about her powers or current condition... (from my understanding, observation ghosts don't really seem like they have that power)

perhaps it was someone else... like Izanagi... or more likely, Shion to protect Suou...

the ghost seems more like Yin's spirit... her body could be controlled, while the spirit roams free...
Old 2009-11-14, 01:50   Link #102
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

l know l'm late to the party but did mao just said Yin was hei's woman in the past?

faints/:
Old 2009-11-14, 01:54   Link #103
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Actually, that could be feasible. Wasn't there something in the last episode of season 1 where they said that Hei could turn people into contracters with his powers? I remember reading that in tvtropes somewhere, but I haven't checked since.
In the manga,

Spoiler for manga spoilers:
Old 2009-11-14, 01:57   Link #104
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
l know l'm late to the party but did mao just said Yin was hei's woman in the past?

faints/:
Well, Mao didn't exactly say that. If you're feeling HeixYin-fan-ish enough, you could draw a line to that , but for translational accuracy, Mao said they have a history.

Or at least that's what Mao said if you're talking about the specific scene that I think you're talking about.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:02   Link #105
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Well, Mao didn't exactly say that. If you're feeling HeixYin-fan-ish enough, you could draw a line to that , but for translational accuracy, Mao said they have a history.

Or at least that's what Mao said if you're talking about the specific scene that I think you're talking about.
l see....
damn you subbers! and here l was very happy...
Old 2009-11-14, 02:10   Link #106
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
l see....
damn you subbers! and here l was very happy...
Lol, don't hang up those hopes just yet. This episode still had a nice possible HeixYin flag. And then there's the new lengthened OVA trailer......
Old 2009-11-14, 02:13   Link #107
orangejuicetang

Quote:

Actually, that's more along the thoughts of what I thought he said. It makes more sense, considering that this Mao is a backup from the pre-gate incident.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:18   Link #108
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Lol, don't hang up those hopes just yet. This episode still had a nice possible HeixYin flag. And then there's the new lengthened OVA trailer......
Yeah the trailer looked hot...hiexyin all the way!
when is that out....and when does it take place timeline wise?
Old 2009-11-14, 02:22   Link #109
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
January I think, and it takes place in between seasons one and two.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:22   Link #110
orangejuicetang

Quote:
It's a bridge between season 1 and season 2.

*beaten to it.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.

Last edited by orangejuicetang; 2009-11-14 at 02:22. Reason: beaten
Old 2009-11-14, 02:22   Link #111
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Not the best of episodes so far. It felt bogged down by forced drama. I'm finding myself unable to care about the Norio situation. I expected his mother to die but I didn't expect them to kill her 1 episode in. Feels like a completely contrived storyline to fill time. His meeting and "falling in love" with Suou was in itself random but then his mother popping up and just happening to be a contractor... It could have worked maybe if they actually stretched it out more and gave it some depth but it as of now it feels a shallow and unnecessary plotline.
Love at first sight needs no explanation. Norio is a teenager with hormonal imbalances. And it was in episode 5 (1 episode ago) that Lebanon told Suou that his wife was a contractor. So if you had to complain about that development, you should have done that last episode.

First season of Darker than Black had contractors dying one episode in, if not the first episode of the two episode arcs. You should have no complaints about her dying one episode in either.

Quote:
The HeiXSuou issue is even worse. Wasn't he beating on her not an episode or so ago? Talk about random change of hearts. Way too much pedo fanservice so far this season. Could we at least get some inkling of why she might like him besides this random shift of gears? All of this seems like them trying to distract me from the lack of actual story they have to tell so they resort to random killing and forced drama. I wish the story would find some focus. Hopefully next episode is where it actually gets on track.
It started after Suou said she hated Hei for beating her in episode 4. Made Hei think twice it would seem the next episode.

Hei refrained from hitting Suou, confusing her. Next thing that happened would be him acting as a decoy. Followed by Hei using his common Li-kun tactics with the bad-tasting food and asking for seconds to not hurt Suou in her cooking. Basically, he mellowed his stance on Suou last episode and continued to do so this episode.

We would have to add the times Hei has saved her as well.

Hei has unknowingly confused her, but she also has no idea what love is yet, as she keeps asking about what it is. I think we could liken what Suou's feeling right now as one of possessiveness rather than what you're thinking of as sudden love. Suou has no idea what she has now, just that she hates the fact that someone else is getting the attention of her current benefactor/protector in Hei.

The story also does have focus: going to Tokyo, now for two reasons (Suou's and Hei's). You just let the relationship advancement between the two of them blind you into a seething rage.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:24   Link #112
orangejuicetang

I just want to point out that when Suou was wondering about what love was, one of things she flashed to was Hei stopping her from shooting Yin.

Old 2009-11-14, 02:25   Link #113
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
I just want to point out that when Suou was wondering about what love was, one of things she flashed to was Hei stopping her from shooting Yin.
She flash-backed to that scene because she was thinking about how Hei had finally called her name. Suou: "He......said my name."

On the matter of release dates, episode 12 (which is apparently the last episode) airs.........yep..........Christmas Eve. Is anybody else getting that sinking feeling that they're not going to air episode 12 that day and make us wait an extra week for the final episode in favor of Christmas programming or whatever they air around Christmas? >.>

And I've been thinking by the way............I've thought it odd that the OP kept showing Suou travelling around by herself with squirel-Mao, even though that't not what's happening. Anybody else suspect that the OP may be showing us what happens to Suou at the end of the series? Just like the ED to Soukou no Strain was the final scene of the final episode all along. (and I know there was at least one other anime that did the same with its OP or ED, I just can't remember it)

EDIT: Edited because of release changes.

Last edited by Shinji103; 2009-11-14 at 02:38.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:28   Link #114
Nanaya
ハイパー武器英雄

Quote:
It comes out on the the 23rd of December, and is supposed to fuill in the 2 year gap between S1 and S2.
No, actually, the OVA comes out late January in the second DVD/BD of season 2. Four episodes, 1 in every even numbered release.

So we won't be seeing the Gaiden untill next year. And it won't finish until all the DVD/BDs have been released.
Old 2009-11-14, 02:35   Link #115
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
No, actually, the OVA comes out late January in the second DVD/BD of season 2. Four episodes, 1 in every even numbered release.

So we won't be seeing the Gaiden untill next year. And it won't finish until all the DVD/BDs have been released.
%^$@#&*@#$&#%^#!@%

They originally said the OAV episodes were being released with each S2 DVD/BD release. >.>
Old 2009-11-14, 03:10   Link #116
Equidistant

Anyone notice that when Misaki was talking to the ninja chick she seemed to imply that Suou was Izanagi.
Old 2009-11-14, 03:14   Link #117
Strange
Incoherent at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
Anyone notice that when Misaki was talking to the ninja chick she seemed to imply that Suou was Izanagi.
Yeah, that's what I noticed as well. It's just July and Suou up there. Although July could very well be Izanagi, fitting the whole 'combat doll' definition if his talents grow in that direction. It's most likely Suou and her ability/pendant, though.
Old 2009-11-14, 03:20   Link #118
DavidLin

Maybe Hei gets his powers back when he gets near Hells Gate. "If he don't get his powers back then this amine is pointless to watch." (IMO)
Old 2009-11-14, 03:36   Link #119
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

I thought the OVA's were being released in late December this year, each DVD containing one OVA episode? :/
Old 2009-11-14, 03:39   Link #120
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
Love at first sight needs no explanation. Norio is a teenager with hormonal imbalances. And it was in episode 5 (1 episode ago) that Lebanon told Suou that his wife was a contractor. So if you had to complain about that development, you should have done that last episode.
That's just plain silly. Love at first sight is fine when used correctly and when it doesn't come off as completely contrived. This certainly doesn't come off well. He just happens to be walking by her and falls madly in love with her. Then low and behold he just happens to be the son of contractor, who happens to be involved in a case they have. It's just many instances of people being connected for the sake of drama. They could have done it much better instead of random love in the middle of a street to connect them. Love at sight can't be used to explain away bad story telling. Also I can complain whenever I want to I don't really need your permission. I didn't comment in 5 but if I did or didn't I still reserve my rights to call up relevant issues to my point. You don't have to like it and I don't care whether you do or don't.

Quote:
First season of Darker than Black had contractors dying one episode in, if not the first episode of the two episode arcs. You should have no complaints about her dying one episode in either.
I don't know what this has to do with anything. My point, which you seem to miss, was that her story was badly thought out. They brought her in to basically just die. She added very little to the story. They gave her a half-assed backstory then set her up to die. It left me feeling unattached. Instead of just making her another random mook contractor to die they tried to and IMO failed to give her some relevance to the story. This is probably supposed to come off as character building for Suou but what it really comes off as is forced drama because of a lack of anything else to show.

Quote:
It started after Suou said she hated Hei for beating her in episode 4. Made Hei think twice it would seem the next episode.

Hei refrained from hitting Suou, confusing her. Next thing that happened would be him acting as a decoy. Followed by Hei using his common Li-kun tactics with the bad-tasting food and asking for seconds to not hurt Suou in her cooking. Basically, he mellowed his stance on Suou last episode and continued to do so this episode.

We would have to add the times Hei has saved her as well.

Hei has unknowingly confused her, but she also has no idea what love is yet, as she keeps asking about what it is. I think we could liken what Suou's feeling right now as one of possessiveness rather than what you're thinking of as sudden love. Suou has no idea what she has now, just that she hates the fact that someone else is getting the attention of her current benefactor/protector in Hei.

The story also does have focus: going to Tokyo, now for two reasons (Suou's and Hei's). You just let the relationship advancement between the two of them blind you into a seething rage.
Once again another plotline that could use focus. These feelings should be better relayed. Instead we have one episode where she states she hates him, only to have her not two episodes later do a 180. Maybe there was some softening but going for that to this is just comes off badly. There was really no instance that stood out for when she might have changed her mind instead we only have this episode where all of a sudden she willing to go throw hoops to please him.

The story should have focus now since they are going to Tokyo but this little excursion was lacking in it. The whole Norio sidestory was just basically throwaway drama. I don't let any blind me but my opinions differ from you since I don't think the producers did a good job of making this "advancement" seem logical and not forced. Perhaps this relationship advancement has blinded you so your unable to tell when something is being forced on you without proper setup so your all defensive now.