AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-05-28, 16:14   Link #901
oompa loompa

Lots of hatin' I see. Well, I quite enjoyed it, although I can't say it made too much sense. Can't wait for the next one, am expecting big things. Hopefully it'll clear up a lot of what went on in this one.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 21:11   Link #902
ScudFace

Only evangelion can invoke such passion among the otakudom. Love it or hate it you cannot deny its relevance or influence.
ScudFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 11:24   Link #903
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudFace View Post
Only evangelion can invoke such passion among the otakudom. Love it or hate it you cannot deny its relevance or influence.
That's totally true.
Old 2013-06-15, 17:49   Link #904
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumofin View Post
So I finally got around to watching this.
I have to say I'm impressed on some level. Instead of "more bigger better" like the last movie, which at times fell flat on its face, it really took its time for atmosphere and character development. Not much happened, but for that, it is a better movie imo. For all the changes, I am truly surprised of how closely the whole tone of the movie stuck to the original series. Emotionally, it is almost identical, dealing with the exact same themes, in a very different setting. So while everyone was different, it still felt eerily familiar, a very powerfull execution.
Im looking forward to the next movie, I enjoyed this one, mission accomplished, I'd say.
yep
3.33 was a great movie , one of favorite sci fi i've ever seen

It felt like EoE and the magic of this movie is that you discover stuff and stuff more and more you view it
and you enjoy it more and more.

classic Anno
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 17:30   Link #905
Tiranas

So I finally found the resolve to watch this after putting it off because a friend of mine was so disappointed by it that he was moping around for an entire week. But hey it couldn't possibly be that bad, right? After all some people seemed to like it quite a bit. And I really wanted to like it, too, but it was even worse than I had feared.

I watched 2.22 again to refresh my memory, athough I should not have bothered since there is such a huge disconnect between the movies and nothing and nobody introduced in 2.22 was of any real importance. Mari seems even more superfluous than before and Kaji is just gone. One thing this film accomplished for the first time though:
I finally felt pity for Shinji, if only because I was exactly as confused by everything as he was and everybody refused to answer even the most basic question for no apparent reason other than to be an a**hole.

I do not have anything against timeskips in general but so much crucial things seem to have happened in the 14 omitted years while the actual movie was rather uneventful and ultimately did not accomplish anything other than killing off Kaworu and breaking Shinji even further.

I have countless questions but here are two that are particularly bothersome to me. For some other things like the existence of "WILLE" i can at least guess what probably happened.

- What exatly happened with Lilith and Eva 06 (which turned into the 12th angel thereby somehow demoting Kaworu/Adam from 1st to 13th if I actually remember that correctly)? After the first two movies were at least partly about protecting NERV headquarters and by extension Lilith I would at leat like to know why she is suddenly no longer crucified and most impotantly why she is dead (decapitated?) now.
- Was there any logical reason for Kaworu to remove Shinji's death collar and put it on himself instead of just disarming it and disposing of it? I know it could serve as a symbol of him wanting to take on Shinji's burdens but it just seems like a rather silly thing to do. And it resulted in him dying in a quite gory way, which just traumatized Shinji even more.
Tiranas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 05:24   Link #906
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranas View Post
So I finally found the resolve to watch this after putting it off because a friend of mine was so disappointed by it that he was moping around for an entire week. But hey it couldn't possibly be that bad, right? After all some people seemed to like it quite a bit. And I really wanted to like it, too, but it was even worse than I had feared.

I watched 2.22 again to refresh my memory, athough I should not have bothered since there is such a huge disconnect between the movies and nothing and nobody introduced in 2.22 was of any real importance. Mari seems even more superfluous than before and Kaji is just gone. One thing this film accomplished for the first time though:
I finally felt pity for Shinji, if only because I was exactly as confused by everything as he was and everybody refused to answer even the most basic question for no apparent reason other than to be an a**hole.

I do not have anything against timeskips in general but so much crucial things seem to have happened in the 14 omitted years while the actual movie was rather uneventful and ultimately did not accomplish anything other than killing off Kaworu and breaking Shinji even further.

I have countless questions but here are two that are particularly bothersome to me. For some other things like the existence of "WILLE" i can at least guess what probably happened.

- What exatly happened with Lilith and Eva 06 (which turned into the 12th angel thereby somehow demoting Kaworu/Adam from 1st to 13th if I actually remember that correctly)? After the first two movies were at least partly about protecting NERV headquarters and by extension Lilith I would at leat like to know why she is suddenly no longer crucified and most impotantly why she is dead (decapitated?) now.
- Was there any logical reason for Kaworu to remove Shinji's death collar and put it on himself instead of just disarming it and disposing of it? I know it could serve as a symbol of him wanting to take on Shinji's burdens but it just seems like a rather silly thing to do. And it resulted in him dying in a quite gory way, which just traumatized Shinji even more.
Wow, I just watched the film and came here to comment exactly what you just said (maybe different wordin). So I must thank you for saving my time.

I was quite frustrated by the film. There were, for me, two huge problems that bothered me through out the film. First, like you said, no one bothers to explain anything, not to him or us but until much later into the film. And that was done purely to influence Shinji into doing what he did. I did not find that normal. After 14 years, I would expect someone to explain him everything the moment he woke up. This would have saved him from any further manipulation. For example, when finally they talk about his collar, he is told only that it reflects their mistrust in him (or something like that). I am sorry, but as far as Shinji is concerned he saved their life before passing out for 14 years!! I would go crazy. hahaha

The second point was the slow pace, everything happens in the last 15 min, before that it felt too long. Nothing is explained and nothing happens.

Anyway, now I am waiting for the last film because the last 15 min made me curious about the ending.
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 17:57   Link #907
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

3.0 was pretty good.

As great as 2.0? Lolno. Did I expect it to be that good? No, I knew it wasn't gonna beat 2.0 >.>.

Though my second favorite of the Rebuilds.
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 19:19   Link #908
hamazura
whatever

what the fuck happening in third movie? lol i have no clue at all
Old 2013-07-27, 23:03   Link #909
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Lots of hatin' I see. Well, I quite enjoyed it, although I can't say it made too much sense. Can't wait for the next one, am expecting big things. Hopefully it'll clear up a lot of what went on in this one.
Considering how much I hated the original Eva, it's a very strange universe where I find myself defending the reboot.

There's something wrong with a season of new anime when popcorn shounen like Hunter x Hunter and Kingdom are what I'm looking forward to the most every week.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 02:07   Link #910
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
Then you know you're watching Evangelion .
Old 2013-07-28, 07:50   Link #911
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
Then you know you're watching Evangelion .
There are anime that one can watch, enjoy and forget... but thankfully there are some that one can watch, think and think, and think, and think and still try to figure them out, even after being exhausted by endless discussions on- and off-line (well after the attention spun of the average viewer has given up)... I root for the second group
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 10:15   Link #912
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

I just tried focusing on what happened in the movie myself.

Too much stuff to wonder if I think of "WTF happened?" during the timeskip. It'd make me enjoy it less
Old 2013-07-28, 13:03   Link #913
Helius

It's actually easy to get - you take what Anno gives you, that's it.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 15:58   Link #914
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Basically they don't know if Shinji is really Shinji. Probability states hes might be a angel since hes been sealed up in space for the last 14 years. So basically they don't tell him anything and the whole mess starts. Shinji's dad basically predicts Misato won't tell him anything. He makes Seele think hes working for them when he pretty much has his own agenda. The movie was pretty much majority of the evangelion series with Shinji going apeshit and what not. Hopefully he doesn't urobutcher to the last movie. And Mari gets fully explained.
Old 2013-07-28, 17:47   Link #915
The Butcher
Butchered Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
It's actually easy to get - you take what Anno gives you, that's it.
Exacta.

/10char
Old 2013-07-29, 06:40   Link #916
hamazura
whatever

evangelion is basically an ultraman series until the movie where all of sudden end of the world begin and there is naked giant rei
there is no plot at all from the entire series and then the world is fucked up out of nowhere in the End of eva movie
so is this movie 3.33 still 'no plot ultraman' part or 'the world fucked up' part? i have no clue watching this, in eva 2.22, asuka and dat glasses girl pwn angel in space and then now they are in sea and then the ship goes super modern gundam and like im flyiiiiiing, then what? -_-
Old 2013-07-29, 08:43   Link #917
mols

I don't really mind the confusing/weird/halucinogen-induced parts. What bothered me the most was the lack of normal interaction between characters. Specially between those that know what is going on and Shinji, who knows nothing... Explaining some things would not have taken that long and the kid wouldn't be left clueless. And also, I do not know how they can be so blind as to treat Shinji as the "bad guy" when they are all at fault. They, are the ones that made it possible for the other pilots to keep operating their evas, etc. They were working just like Shinji. They were as blindfolded as he was.
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 19:15   Link #918
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:

SPOILERS !!!

Shinji after being in coma for 14 years ,trapped into the eva 01 was "rescued" and captured by Wille , a new organism wich was created during this time skipp by Misato to fight "Gods" entities and eventually Gendo Ikari the father of shinji

It seems they thought have beat all angels during this time and now the fights are between new nerve/seele and Wille through Mark 4 things (cf the fight in the beginning or the fight in the sea with nadia music)

Shinji is after rescued by another girl , new Rei , rei-3 a fresh new clone ready to fight.
With Mark-9 a new unit she manages to pick shinji for gendo purposes.
Since he can't pilot eva 01 and wille is hostile to him ( probably because events during time skipp , events we don't officially aware of) he go on gendo ready to pilot Eva-13 since Kaworu a newcomer told him a bit about the during time skipp and what he did.

After that , shinji loose his mind and decide really to stop the shit , he needs two lances , differents lances to eventually restore the destruction he launched at the end of 2.22.

Kaworu decides to sacrifices himself knowing a bit some events will come (like the activation of DSS choker)
They go into the shit getting the lances to save the world and then kaworu discover the two lances are the same (two longinus type ) and in top of that he turns into the 13th angel
He needed longinus and cassius (probably the lance into eva 01launched by mark -6 at the end of 2.22 )

Owned by Gendo , he couldn't stop shinji of doing this
The demote to 13th angel probably prevented him doing this

Gendo calculated this , knowing shinji will do that to avoid responsabilities.

The impact was launched but kaworu managed to stop it , and of course was killed

Mari later saved the day with the pink eva.(the only eva with 13 to survived the shit , other eva were very injured or loosed their head whenever)

Wille retrieved shinji again
Like the story of the Monomyth , shinji like the boy at the end went back to his "home" , wille

Maybe the actions were done because he is immature , despite he is 28 years old (but 14 years of coma so he is fucked up)
The vision of anno is that you have to face the shit you have done , and take responsabilities , sometimes you can avoid it and fix it through magic but magic is doomed onto this world and it never works

Too good to be true.

END SPOILERS !

If you love happy ending don't watch it.
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 19:26   Link #919
hamazura
whatever

what the fuck 14 years -_-
so the ultraman part, slaying angel one by one is already finished huh? so what the fuck they fighting with dat super modern flying giant ship in the sea? -_-

oh yea i could understand dat ultra yandere side of gendou he want to reunite with his wife so badly and cant move on like a fucking teenager but i dont understand that seele bastard objective, fusing all people into one bastard giant naked rei? wtf man, its so.... i dont even know how to describe it, so egoist man, they force a billions of people, what the advantages of being a naked giant rei anyway... Seems like they need to be raped by giant dog to death to fix their fvked up brain...

Last edited by hamazura; 2013-07-29 at 19:37.
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 19:41   Link #920
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@Lenneth4: Those are not spoilers... rather what happened during the film
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evangelion, remake