AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-17, 19:16   Link #281
Westlo
Lets be reality

DBZ Kai has been out rating One Piece (which airs after DBZ) since it started airing.

Dragon Ball Kai Fuji TV April 5 (Sun) 09:00 30 min. 11.3
One Piece Fuji TV April 5 (Sun) 09:30 30 min. 9.9

Dragon Ball Kai Fuji TV April 12 (Sun) 09:00 30 min. 9.8
One Piece Fuji TV April 12 (Sun) 09:30 30 min. 8.8
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 19:47   Link #282
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
DBZ Kai has been out rating One Piece (which airs after DBZ) since it started airing.

I guess DBZ really hasn't lost any "magic" after all these years. For some reason I was into One Piece when it first aired but after a while, it just died out on me. I would be watching Kai and then switching channels as well. Sounds great, thanks for the info.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 07:28   Link #283
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

That's really impressive also note that Dragonball Kai was the third most watched anime in Japan in the week of April 12.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 15:05   Link #284
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I'm disappointed , i really though it'll be HD with design graphic like the technology now .... Its just a remake with old graphic ... i wanted to keep watching the show even though i knew all the story but its just an old remake so stop watching ... The dbz on my channels in the tv are enough ...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 15:20   Link #285
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

^
Personally I am glad that they kept the old animation, because I don't like the new design of the characters. Also, whether, it has old or new animation, Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball at the end of the day.
Old 2009-04-18, 16:07   Link #286
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
I'm disappointed , i really though it'll be HD with design graphic like the technology now .... Its just a remake with old graphic ... i wanted to keep watching the show even though i knew all the story but its just an old remake so stop watching ... The dbz on my channels in the tv are enough ...
While it is very similar to the old grpahic style there are quite a few differences. I for one am glad they kept the old style because it just gives the show this type of originality, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it, but anyways about the differences.

Kai has a widescreen border that gives it a more "cinematic" feel. The biggest difference is the color contrast. This gives a much smoother look to the show and it gives backgrounds a nice watercolor like effect. Grain, like in the original, is still present in Kai. Thats one of the few let downs I had, because I was hoping it would be a little more "clean" looking.

Here is a picture of Raditz for quality comparison.

ORIGINAL
Spoiler for image size:

DRAGONBALL KAI
Spoiler for image size:
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 02:23   Link #287
Alchemist007
*Author

Semi-off topic but, I finally got the remastered steelbook editions of Super 13, Bojack, and the Broly movies. Man its so much more awesome seeing this than the crappy quality versions I saw online X years ago. Now just Season 9 and movies 12-13 and my DBZ collection is complete (pending the '08 film).
Old 2009-04-19, 02:55   Link #288
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I just saw episode 3 of DB Kai, and words can't describe how awesome it was. You can really notice the new special effects and added frames of animation in this episode. The Special Beam Cannon looked absolutely astonishing, which was a moment I was really looking forward to. Furthermore, this episode pretty much covered 5 chapters. Yeah, you read that right. The pacing doesn't get any better than that. Everyone here is sure to enjoy this.
Old 2009-04-19, 03:58   Link #289
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
While it is very similar to the old grpahic style there are quite a few differences. I for one am glad they kept the old style because it just gives the show this type of originality, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it, but anyways about the differences.

Kai has a widescreen border that gives it a more "cinematic" feel. The biggest difference is the color contrast. This gives a much smoother look to the show and it gives backgrounds a nice watercolor like effect. Grain, like in the original, is still present in Kai. Thats one of the few let downs I had, because I was hoping it would be a little more "clean" looking.

Here is a picture of Raditz for quality comparison.

ORIGINAL
Spoiler for image size:

DRAGONBALL KAI
Spoiler for image size:
That comparison-image seems to be comparing Kai with the "remastered" DBZ-sets, which had some downright horrible color-alteration, so it's not exactly a good way to compare it. (Let me put it like this: The sky in the background during Goku and Vegeta's battle had a green tint to it in the original, but on FUNi's sets, it was clear blue. Yeah, they sure did a great job "preserving the original colors" and all that...) If you're gonna make a comparison, you pretty much have to use the japanese DVD-footage, as that's the only way you're gonna get the image the way it's actually SUPPOSED to look.
Old 2009-04-19, 06:56   Link #290
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I just saw episode 3 of DB Kai, and words can't describe how awesome it was. You can really notice the new special effects and added frames of animation in this episode. The Special Beam Cannon looked absolutely astonishing, which was a moment I was really looking forward to. Furthermore, this episode pretty much covered 5 chapters. Yeah, you read that right. The pacing doesn't get any better than that. Everyone here is sure to enjoy this.
What you haven't mentioned is the Funimation like censoring, which both surprised and shocked me. The extensive blood pouring out of Raditz mouth is gone, Piccolo's blood is now pinkish and the worst contender of them all: Goku's hole through the stomach has been changed to blueish spot.

Those were the biggest gripe I had with the episode, besides that the pacing was fantastic. Some minor notes: they changed Nappa's seiyuu though he's now voiced by Inada Tetsu (Harry Ord in Turn A) and they did fix Vegeta's colouring when you see him.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:19   Link #291
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Japan is ultratouchy with the extreme home-grown violence and the violence in hikkikomiri cases and other otaku-crimes nowadays. Also kids supposedly copying the violence in anime and stuff.

Censorship in Japan? No surprises there. This is not the 80's.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 08:28   Link #292
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
What you haven't mentioned is the Funimation like censoring, which both surprised and shocked me. The extensive blood pouring out of Raditz mouth is gone, Piccolo's blood is now pinkish and the worst contender of them all: Goku's hole through the stomach has been changed to blueish spot.
Yeah, that kinda sucks, but I suppose that the standards for what they're allowed to show on TV have changed, so they can't show that much violence at 8:30 in the morning any more... (At least I think that's when it airs...)

Oh, and I just thought of something that strikes me as a bit odd... They show Lunch in the ending, even though she has absolutely no scenes in the manga after Goku defeats Piccolo... So they're showing a character in the ending who will most likely not make a single appearance at any point in the show...
Old 2009-04-19, 09:14   Link #293
DidCart

Here in Brazil, when Dragon Ball Z first aired, it was the censored version, just like this one in DBKai. So, for me, it`s still the same!
DidCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:24   Link #294
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The Special Beam Cannon looked absolutely astonishing, which was a moment I was really looking forward to.
That was pure eye candy there, though the best parts of this episode for me were:

-The tail grab. Seriously, as a kid, I loved that scene so much it still made me laugh now.

- Vegeta’s appearance. I am so glad that the colour mistakes were fixed, because it was one of those things that annoyed me in the past.

-The music during...

Spoiler for Not that no one knows, but better be safe:
Old 2009-04-19, 09:36   Link #295
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Episode 3 is defenitely getting me pumped for upcoming episodes. It did a good job of covering a lot of material without feeling too rushed. As people have said the Special Beam cannon was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Spoiler for Not that no one knows, but better be safe:
Was that music in the original? I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere else before, Unless I'm mistaking it for something else.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 09:50   Link #296
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Was that music in the original? I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere else before, Unless I'm mistaking it for something else.
I can't remember because it has been a long time since I watched it, but I think it was a different track used in here.
Old 2009-04-19, 11:06   Link #297
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I can't remember because it has been a long time since I watched it, but I think it was a different track used in here.
Yep, definitely.

The original is better.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...piccolo_webcam
It was the same used for piccolo's death.
The new one has a saint seiya feel, good but not DBZ.

And the new soundtrack is overall quite a mess.
In Europe, we got the original ones, and they truly kicked ass.

But the new ones are still superior to the US tracks

mtarzaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:22   Link #298
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

^ Ah yes, You are right.

Even though it might not have the same impact as the original, it was still a nice piece (though I guess it does have a bit of Saint Seiya feeling, but I don't really mind that much).

The one death scene I don't want the track to change
Spoiler for :
Old 2009-04-19, 12:00   Link #299
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Have people just ignored mine and Blackbeard D. Kuma's posts on how it's a complete different composer to the original series?
Old 2009-04-19, 12:14   Link #300
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
You know what, I felt the exact same way you did when they edited that particular piece of footage. The absence of blood after the Special Beam Cannon pierced through the both of them was quite surprising. But the funny thing is, is that they technically made this scene more like the manga because there was no blood gushing out of their stomachs in the manga version. Well, there was blood (just a few droplets for that matter), but nowhere near the extent there was in the original anime version. As for Piccolo's blood, it was purple (which is the correct colour) and not pink.

Quote:
Those were the biggest gripe I had with the episode, besides that the pacing was fantastic. Some minor notes: they changed Nappa's seiyuu though he's now voiced by Inada Tetsu (Harry Ord in Turn A) and they did fix Vegeta's colouring when you see him.
I like Nappa's new seiyuu, since he also did the voice of Akuma Shogun in the Kinnikuman video games. He knows how to make characters sound like raging beasts. Speaking of changing colouring schemes, I found it stupid that they changed Vegeta's but not Nappa's. Nappa is supposed to have a gold and dark blue armor outfit, not a brown and black one.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2009-04-19 at 14:04.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote