AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2009-07-22, 03:37   Link #541
M!rage
~Queen of evil~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
Holy crap I can't believe this. I figured out what Hikaru and Kaoru's names mean! They're a reference to Castor and Pollux in Greek Mythology!

Compare:

Hikaru means "shining"
Kaoru means "sweet smelling"

Castor means "shining"
Kaoru means "very sweet"

That can't be a coincidence.
strange...
M!rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 09:42   Link #542
Ziv

And on top of that the twins are Geminis which further cements the link between them and Caster/Pollux.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 09:48   Link #543
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Actually, Hikaru means "light". It's the male form of "Hikari".
Old 2009-07-23, 16:21   Link #544
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Actually, Hikaru means "light". It's the male form of "Hikari".
jisho.org says it means "shining"

http://jisho.org/words?jap=hikaru&eng=&dict=edict

I see they are spelled differently, but I'd still say it's just semantics.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 09:04   Link #545
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Notice that the "hikaru" used in jisho has the "ru" at the end. On its own, "光", it's light.

One brother represents "visual", the other "scent". Duality ftw.
Old 2009-07-25, 02:51   Link #546
M!rage
~Queen of evil~

does anyone know the meaning of tamaki & haruhi's names?
M!rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 14:24   Link #547
GaijinOtaku
Yuri Addict

Haruhi most likely means "spring day" and Tamamki means "jewel tree" although I'm not 100% positive. I'm pretty sure though.
GaijinOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-29, 01:42   Link #548
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Haruhi's name is written in hiragana (the only club member who has this). Tamaki's kanji name has many meanings in Japanese. Just check out the Tamaki page on Jwiki.
Old 2009-07-29, 18:50   Link #549
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailHeaven View Post
I just bought the first volume of the manga because I liked the anime so much. I've never read any manga so this will be a new experience for me
Ouran's manga is definitely worth reading if you loved the anime.

I'm very glad I did. It goes a lot further than the anime. So much further that now I'm really sad that they ended the anime. (I prefer to see series in anime form.)

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 17:06   Link #550
typhonsentra

You know, I just checked DVD sales for this series and.... why isn't there a second season even being planned? Tons of source material left-over and it performed very well, seems like a no-brainer.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-01, 21:40   Link #551
Envy
Band Nerd ♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
You know, I just checked DVD sales for this series and.... why isn't there a second season even being planned? Tons of source material left-over and it performed very well, seems like a no-brainer.
Possibly because they only planned it to be a 25 (or is it 26? I forget. lol) series from the beginning, and they made up an ending for it.

But I still do think that a new season following the manga material would be possible and very welcomed. Ouran was an awesome anime adaptation. (I prefer things in anime format too, so I'd love to see a new season faithful to the manga.)

“The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.”
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 20:15   Link #552
RailHeaven

The ending was still open ended though. I'm reading the manga now and there are some many episodes that I would love to see turned into an anime. I bet they could pump out another 26 episode season soon (maybe after volume 13 or 14?). I might make a list of the manga episodes I want to see made into anime :P
RailHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 01:51   Link #553
ATP

I found this in TV Tropes Wild Mass Guessing.

Quote:
Haruhi and Tamaki died when they fell into the water in Episode 26 of the anime

Think about it. They seem to be a good distance up, and while they may be okay swimmers, well... why else would Eclair let go of Tamaki? Methinks she just thought "May as well let him die with her." That's why the car drives away and such. What we see with Eclair afterwards is in the actual aftermath in the real world. The final waltz is a Dying Dream of sorts.
Make sense? it does.
ATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 12:52   Link #554
Pineapple_Split

It would if it weren't totally contradictory to the style of the series. There is nothing in the preceeding 25 episodes as dark as that. Also, there have been many instances throughout the anime where stuff has happened that has "defied logic." (Think, Hunny up against that many guards just a little while earlier. I mean, I know he's this martial arts prodigy, but really.)

Also, Tamaki and Haruhi fell into the ocean before at quite a distance, and they survived that.

And I'm pretty sure we were supposed to think that Eclair finally gave in because she does have at least on decent bone in her body.
Pineapple_Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 23:02   Link #555
blue skies
noch einmal?

That's one crazy wild theory up there. But I think this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Split View Post
It would if it weren't totally contradictory to the style of the series. There is nothing in the preceeding 25 episodes as dark as that. Also, there have been many instances throughout the anime where stuff has happened that has "defied logic." (Think, Hunny up against that many guards just a little while earlier. I mean, I know he's this martial arts prodigy, but really.)

Also, Tamaki and Haruhi fell into the ocean before at quite a distance, and they survived that.

And I'm pretty sure we were supposed to think that Eclair finally gave in because she does have at least on decent bone in her body.
pretty much sums it up. No downer ending here, nope. Just lots of shoujo sparkles and roses everywhere. Or maybe Haruhi and Tamaki found some tiny little island and decided to live there forever, idk.

Anyone else kind of holding out hope that they'll make a second season? Once the manga finishes up (looks like it's kind of started to wind down a little -- at least, I think), there should definitely be enough material. It'd be great to have an ending that isn't a little on the ambiguous side (though I actually liked that), and I want to see more of the host club's antics. Probably shouldn't hold my breath, but I still want another season like burning.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 00:49   Link #556
Pineapple_Split

Life would be grand if they did. And they definitely have enough material to make another season. The thing is, they probably just don't want to. I mean, from what I understand they only planned to have one season from the very beginning. So once season one was over, the crew probably moved on to other anime. 'Tis very frustrating, but what can you do?
Pineapple_Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-23, 14:30   Link #557
Yuna Ito

I'v just started to read the manga >///>
Yuna Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 04:22   Link #558
raduccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Split View Post
Life would be grand if they did. And they definitely have enough material to make another season. The thing is, they probably just don't want to. I mean, from what I understand they only planned to have one season from the very beginning. So once season one was over, the crew probably moved on to other anime. 'Tis very frustrating, but what can you do?
Maybe another studio can pick up the task. It happened before. The series was very popular and if there is good material in the manga that can be adapted into anime then they can't go wrong.

Maybe they're not just waiting for enough material for a second season. Maybe they want a manga ending so that when they can end the show with another season. That's just my guess. I don't even know if the manga ended or not.

Whatever happens, they can't just leave it like this. This show is far too good to be left incomplete.
raduccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-08, 14:38   Link #559
Cactus_u

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduccio View Post
Maybe another studio can pick up the task. It happened before. The series was very popular and if there is good material in the manga that can be adapted into anime then they can't go wrong.

Maybe they're not just waiting for enough material for a second season. Maybe they want a manga ending so that when they can end the show with another season. That's just my guess. I don't even know if the manga ended or not.

Whatever happens, they can't just leave it like this. This show is far too good to be left incomplete.

I've heard that the ouran VAs (I think them) are reading manga lines for fans (which I think are favorite lines picked by fans) I think this is good news for a second season (as well as Ouran closing) I wouldn't hold on to that silver lining just yet, but I always thought there was a possibility for a second season once the manga ended.
Cactus_u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 16:20   Link #560
symphonious7
Emperor of Dorkdom

It amazes me how so many of you have such knowledge of the Japanese language. I've always wondered what "no" means in japanese since EVERY anime has the word "no" in it somewhere. But yeah, I'd love to see a second season too, but if they'd have to follow some dark manga story that didn't have the vibe of the first season I'd rather them just leave it alone and preserve OHHC as the hilarious light hearted anime I remember it as.