AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 29 29.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 19.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 24.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 13.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 8.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-04-04, 16:49   Link #121
Stefkov

The ending to this series got intense. This episode, Accelerator is slowly becoming a favourite of mine.
Now to go ahead and finally start the novels. I know someone told me that the first anime is pretty much the same as the novels but I'm a completionist and I can hardly remember what happened back then, I wish the first few chapters were translated.
Stefkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 16:57   Link #122
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
Overall good episode,but I am tired of Touma shouting " SMASH THAT ILLUSION OF YOURS!!!" to everyone even to people without any magic/esper abilities. I understand that he means the morality and his enemy's worldview, but it's sounds awful when he uses this phrase too much.

Accelerator owns the show together with some oppai. And Index again biting Touma at the end,well, not very entertaining. I mean again she bit him for nothing or just cuz he said he was lucky??
Break that illusion of yours is a pun.

There is a sort of running gag in the show with Touma being fond of telling people that he'll "break their illusion". before proceeding to beat them with his right hand. More specifically, he says "I'll kill it... That illusion/fantasy of yours!!" It's actually a pun: The Kanji given for 'Imagine Breaker' is 'Illusion/Fantasy Killer (Genso Goroshi)'.
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 21:42   Link #123
judasmartel
*Author

Post moved to Q and A. --> http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...88#post3558288
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 23:03   Link #124
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefkov View Post
The ending to this series got intense. This episode, Accelerator is slowly becoming a favourite of mine.
Now to go ahead and finally start the novels. I know someone told me that the first anime is pretty much the same as the novels but I'm a completionist and I can hardly remember what happened back then, I wish the first few chapters were translated.
Everything is pretty much the same as in the light novels; we fans complaint all the time about how this is a bad adaptations, but compared to most shows, we're already lucky enough to be far down the butchery ladder.

The only stories where things have a drastic change is in vol 2 and 4 where they both removed a character entirely, but the basic gist is the same.

If you really want an important refresher, go read the Index manga, imo it's a better adaptation, but they didn't do [Deep Blood] or [Angel Fall] either.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 12:32   Link #125
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Consider this a review of all 3 Toaru series that are out so far. I’m not willing to make different reviews around the same setting.
The Toaru trilogy is a typical shonen adventure with a nice presentation. It doesn’t fair much next to the higher ups such as One Piece or Full Metal Alchemist but at least has a nice way to show everything… half of the time.

The story for example is quite average and never plays out in any special way. There is a world where magic and science are at war and some teenagers are fighting in it. There is a lot more that just that but, seriously, the scriptwriters hardly try to offer anything more than the basic. Sometimes even less than that.
- Toaru 1 had little to no overall plot amongst its story arcs. Some excuse it as the introduction to the setting and the cast but story-wise it is still pretty much a disjoined series of almost stand-alone missions.
- Railgun was just a storyless spin-off just for kicks, done to please the Misaka fans / Index haters. It is considered far more enjoyable that Toaru 1 but still has zero story to tell.
- Toaru 2 does a much better job at having a better overall plot but then again the transition from one segment to another happens in a rushed and poor way that confuses anyone not aware of the novels. Plus, it leaves most older characters as background decoration and ends openly at a point that is almost a major cliffhanger. There is a lot more to show in a, supposed, upcoming Toaru 3 series.

In all cases, the story is nothing but a sort of excuse for stuff to happen that never seems to always tie in an event that followed or preceded other events. Some may be content with just that but I don’t; I like tight storytelling and good pacing. Some actually love how the author did a lot of research in order to explain the various magical and scientific powers that many characters possess, but it’s not like that makes the actual story any more creditable. It is still to the most part improbable physics canceled with a broken power.

In a similar fashion, the cast is a colorful bunch of stereotypes that hardly develop in any significant way. Most are in fact given some attention and are then thrown in the background.
- The most prominent example of this is the lead girl Index, whose name is even in the title. Although she is supposed to be the key character in the war because of her hidden knowledge, she is offered some immersion and drama before she becomes nothing but a platonic lover to the lead character. Not only that, but as the girls who like the lead male keep increasing, her role becomes even less and less important to the show in general. Some say this is good because she is very annoying and the less air-time she gets, the better the show is. Well in that case, she sounds like a very bad choice for a lead character to begin with.
- The lead male Touma, ain’t exactly any better. He is the stereotypical shonen protagonist, predictably owning a broken power with which he uses it to protect his loved ones and save chicks. Make a check on the list of clichés at how he also keeps shouting morality speeches all the time. He always does the exact same thing; cancels the powers of his opponent, lash out a monologue about how wrong he or she is, do a punch to the face and then goes to heal in the hospital.
- The support characters seem to have even less importance in the plot. Each arc usually ends with Touma saving one girl and adding it to his personal harem, which gets more and more nude as the episodes go on. Most girls are treated as nothing but harem material, existing in the show just to play it tsundere to Touma and cook stuff just for the heck of it. They otherwise hardly develop or matter. Hell, the show goes as far as to clone them in order for more mass produced zero- depth girls to frown over Touma.
- The only villain most care about is this psychotic guy named Accelerator, but even he seems like a crazy dude and nothing more. Big deal.

The production values are of rather high budget but even those get various ups and downs throughout the anime. There is rather high fluent animation, nice color palette, and catchy BMG but that still does not cover for the completely generic looks of the characters or the forgettable songs. And they are still talking so much during battles that become ridiculous. I wouldn’t mind if they were about deep philosophy or the fringe science of superpowers but it was just typical moral speeches around superficial morality, and macho one-liners.

Action scenes are very good if all you want is fancy lights and big explosions but they are otherwise following a very standard and repetitive formula that makes them uninteresting in the long run. You know the drill, they macho talk, the lead gets trashed, they macho talk, the lead gets up full of resolve to protect his friends, they macho talk, the lead wins. Thank you very much; I am watching this since Hokuto no Ken came out. And I ensure you Hokuto has far more exciting action, despite being downright clichéd as heck.

There is also fan service in it for the roneries amongst us, which is low on Toaru 1 but gets rather overboard on Toaru 2. Most were displeased with how degrading the show became with its females and it is even weirder how the producers themselves demanded more of it because they though it would increase sales. That feels plain distasteful to me. but I guess that is the normal thing to do with characters you have no idea how to maintain them interesting to the viewers.

Now about the enjoyment part. I sure wasn’t amused much but I am aware how it ranks great for many out there. I will just say that I have seen far better shonen than this one, with far better handling of its story and characters.

It is as I said, a typical shonen adventure with a nice presentation. The nice part is relevant of course; personally it strikes me as very bad to treat characters as ecchi material and have the plot being so loose and repetitive. I guess generic characters doing generic things with poor reasoning and cheap plot twists may indeed be entertaining for many. I just expected a lemon twist to my average soda thereafter. And Toaru is down to it plain water in a fancy glass.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 13:22   Link #126
Zakoo

Hard to find no stereotype characters those days. Nearly everything was made y'see.

About the fan service : nothing more than a fiction, just that all the fan service has been gathered inside Agnese, Daihaiseisai and Italia arc ( after episode 15 the only time there has been fs it was with a sister ) while it was dispatched between all arcs in season 1.
But of course, there's always better.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 13:30   Link #127
roriconfan
Banned

All I can say is that there are stereotypes and there are STEREOTYPES! Character development helps to break the mold too in the longrun. And less fan service would mean more dignity for the characters. I don't care if it would sell less; it made me dislike them.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:44   Link #128
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
All I can say is that there are stereotypes and there are STEREOTYPES!
You probably haven't been watching many shows lately have you? Nevermind.

As far as stereotypes go, Toaru has a wide variety of colourful characters with their various antics and unique quirks, if you want to see STEREOTYPES, I only need to point you to Dragon Crisis.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:45   Link #129
tsunade666

I also hate the straight forward fan service in S2 of index. They had time to cut the fight and talk of the other character but they find time to put the naked shower scene -_- and blatant panty shots.

I prefer that while reading the novel because its funny but seeing it in the anime is also fun IF and only IF they are not rushing things and cutting some scenes.

Some prefer the pacing on S 2 and saying it's not rushed. But for me even without knowing the novel I can tell its rush and specially that I had read the novel. I can tell the scenes that had been cut is good but still didn't get to be shown.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:10   Link #130
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
What i can say?

I like the entire series...IMHO Second better then first season...

BUT

Third season?

From the novel i can say that the thirs season is full of Epic moment...

Go ACCELERATOOOOOOOOOOR.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:15   Link #131
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The problem with the possible third season is that it's HUGE, at least 3 cours to fit in 9 volumes... No, scratch that, the only way it would work without complete butchery IS with at least 3 cours.

But seeing as how he squeezed in SS1, with completely no regard to make it seem like a season finale, I'm starting to worry what this director has in mind for S3.

Shows change directors all the time right?
Old 2011-04-06, 14:21   Link #132
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The problem with the possible third season is that it's HUGE, at least 3 cours to fit in 9 volumes... No, scratch that, the only way it would work without complete butchery IS with at least 3 cours.

But seeing as how he squeezed in SS1, with completely no regard to make it seem like a season finale, I'm starting to worry what this director has in mind for S3.

Shows change directors all the time right?
9?

14.15.16.17.18.19.ss2. If they add 20,21,22......They ARE the stupidest anime adapters. Worse than avatar the last airbender, Oh yeah, I went there!

I would rather wait 1-2-3 years for a those last three than have them shoved in 24 cour. But i guess we gotta take this into JC staffs POV for themselves.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:24   Link #133
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
9?

14.15.16.17.18.19.ss2. If they add 20,21,22......They ARE the stupidest anime adapters. Worse than avatar the last airbender, Oh yeah, I went there!

I would rather wait 1-2-3 years for a those last three than have them shoved in 24 cour. But i guess we gotta take this into JC staffs POV for themselves.
Why SS2? Unlike SS1, it doesn't fit anywhere on the current timeline. Which is why I said 'nine'.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:35   Link #134
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Why SS2? Unlike SS1, it doesn't fit anywhere on the current timeline. Which is why I said 'nine'.
So far its not, but knowing the author, it most likely does. But it was just so random. I fear the day anime watchers watch it.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:46   Link #135
Evil_Sephiroth

I care only about one thing...that if they do season 3....cutted or not....pay attention do do a good work.

It can be worst then LN...but if it is around SS2 standard...i'm happy^^
Old 2011-04-06, 14:58   Link #136
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_Sephiroth View Post
I care only about one thing...that if they do season 3....cutted or not....pay attention do do a good work.

It can be worst then LN...but if it is around SS2 standard...i'm happy^^
Thats alot of cutting though, I know that cutting is necessary, Thank god they cut out the Necessarius dorm fun with the girls this ep or it would've gone bad.
Old 2011-04-06, 15:56   Link #137
Evil_Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
Thats alot of cutting though, I know that cutting is necessary, Thank god they cut out the Necessarius dorm fun with the girls this ep or it would've gone bad.
noooooooooooooooooo...I want THIS XD
Old 2011-04-06, 16:48   Link #138
giorno

@roriconfan: i agree with most of what you said, although i still find most characters to be very interesting and some story arcs were very good, but all in all, the author is no naoki urasawa, that's for sure

but with that said, what's been adapted in the anime is pretty much only the introduction to the main plot...the story gets overwhelmingly better starting from volume 13(the final arc of season 2), and kept getting consistently better with each new volume. It still has some of the problems you mentioned, but not nearly as much...

and imo, ultimately the main reason for that is the light novel format...after volume 13, i think index would've worked much better as a proper novel series...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 18:07   Link #139
outerelf

Hold it everyone!

This is episode 24 discussion.

This is not a season review. Our forum moderator has posted that they will post a review discussion later on. So please keep it to episode 24.
outerelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 19:00   Link #140
roriconfan
Banned

From what I am reading here, it appears the story gets better later on but it is impossible to be adapted properly into anime form? That's like wishing for the show to NOT go on.

Tags
final episode thread