felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Uh... what's with this hurry again?

Well whatever.
Old 2011-09-16, 08:10   Link #302
Honoakari
Lurking Member

I think this gradient is the best one. It was last used in 2008, and the banners of that time looked much better than the current ones, in my opinion.
Old 2011-09-16, 10:04   Link #303
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ That was one nice Air banner.
Old 2011-09-16, 12:25   Link #304
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. View Post

I think this gradient is the best one. It was last used in 2008, and the banners of that time looked much better than the current ones, in my opinion.
It was the theme not the gradient that made the difference...
Old 2011-09-16, 23:41   Link #305
brocko

How many Halloween contests have there been so far? Maybe this one mine as well be another Halloween theme'd one since it'd cut down on brainstorming time. Or you could use it to buy time till a proper theme could be thought of anyway.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 03:20   Link #306
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It would also make the banners expire after little more then one day brocko; not to mention a lot of us don't even have any idea what Halloween is even for.
Old 2011-09-17, 07:02   Link #307
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

If we change the gradient, do we lose the current set??
Old 2011-09-17, 07:28   Link #308
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
If we change the gradient, do we lose the current set??
If we do mix gradient we don't (not necessarily), otherwise yes.

I'm all for not keeping the current ones though. Looking at the join dates, I guess they got some nostalgia feel to them (for you), but ehh, don't worry you'll live even if they all change. It's sometimes better to just leapfrog forward and leave some old things behind; lifts up the spirits and all that.

Just goes to show how lazy the community has been with banners when we now have these sorts of problems.
Old 2011-09-17, 08:47   Link #309
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It would also make the banners expire after little more then one day brocko; not to mention a lot of us don't even have any idea what Halloween is even for.
You don't have to use them only for 1 day. Could have em for a like 2-3 week period around Halloween. I've seen Christmas decorations go up in some places as early as the start of November.

But with that said, that is a good point on the limited use of such banners.

I still stand by on one of my earlier suggestions in this thread. Just dig up the old banners and add them into the current rotation again. Everytime you get new banners (be it through competitions or w/e it is), you just keep adding them into the rotation. If the different gradient colours is an issue, you could section them off based on the day of the week.
EG:
Monday - Wednesday: current purple gradient
Thursday - Sunday: old light blue gradient

If you really wanted to get adventurous you could even alternate them if you want.

Monday: purple
Tuesday: blue
Wednesday: purple
Thursday: blue
etc. etc.

Over time hopefully they'll be enough banners sets for use, making each day unique in it's banner theme/gradient scheme.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:18   Link #310
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

If they allowed constant banner submission, then yeah, since they don't and believe in the efficiency of holding a two month contest with a hundred banner where they pick THREE*, I'd say keeping a giant backlog of old banners in the rotation really belittles the effort. The current weighted rotation would also mean that the old banners might as well not be there, and if there's no weighted rotation the old banner will just completely block the new ones.

* just in case people forgot how monstrous these contests are with the usual process (which we will probably be following; again)
Old 2011-09-17, 16:33   Link #311
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
If the different gradient colours is an issue, you could section them off based on the day of the week.
Right now, I think the gradient is part of the forum theme, so we can't change it automatically without changing the programming. So that's why we have contests revolving around a set background, and run those in the rotation for a while until we change it. That isn't to say such a programming change wouldn't be possible, but probably not for now.

Anyway, more info about the upcoming contest will be announced shortly.
Old 2011-09-17, 16:49   Link #312
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Why do you guys make everything sound like it's some kind of rocket science. You just turn an array to an associative array with gradients as key pointing to an array of banners using it. It soooo simple...
Old 2011-09-17, 18:29   Link #313
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Why do you guys make everything sound like it's some kind of rocket science. You just turn an array to an associative array with gradients as key pointing to an array of banners using it. It soooo simple...
We're not just going to hack away at the vBulletin v3 code and keep messing it up more and more, making the possible migration to v4 that much more onerous, just to have rotating background gradients. It's not worth the deviation for now. Maybe later.
Old 2011-09-18, 03:08   Link #314
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
We're not just going to hack away at the vBulletin v3 code and keep messing it up more and more, making the possible migration to v4 that much more onerous, just to have rotating background gradients. It's not worth the deviation for now. Maybe later.
vBulleting doesn't support banners to begin with.

Changing one line of code in an existing modification is hardly a migration problem.

You can use plugins (though I'm sure NW is already) to make everything extremely easy and flexible.
Old 2011-09-18, 06:19   Link #315
brocko

Quote:
If they allowed constant banner submission, then yeah, since they don't and believe in the efficiency of holding a two month contest with a hundred banner where they pick THREE*, I'd say keeping a giant backlog of old banners in the rotation really belittles the effort. The current weighted rotation would also mean that the old banners might as well not be there, and if there's no weighted rotation the old banner will just completely block the new ones.

* just in case people forgot how monstrous these contests are with the usual process (which we will probably be following; again)
They can make it so the newer banners get higher priority or simply dedicate more time to the newer banners than the old ones.
EG:
Mon: old purp
Tues: new banners
Wed: old blue
Thurs: new banners
Fri: old blue/old purple (can alternate every week or something)
Sat: new banners
Sun: new banners

It's been so long since we've last seen the old banners so they mine as be treated as though they were new anyway imo.

Also just curious but how many sets of banners does Animesuki have stacked up already?
I know there are:
  • current purple
  • old sky blue
  • halloween
  • christmas
and a night time one too perhaps?

Old 2011-09-18, 10:10   Link #316
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There was no Night theme. It was proposed, but never saw the light or night or whatever. As I recall the sky theme replaced it.

There are others besides those, however bear in mind the dimensions for those were quite different, and going by quality of what we had back then and what we have now, I think it's best if we just stick to those sets you mention. They were season themed BTW, as in spring, summer, etc. However the problem was with how slow things move around here we ended up with things like winter banners in the middle of summer and things like that, hence the move to universal theme like the Sky theme.
Old 2011-09-20, 19:26   Link #317
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Update: We now have a Poll up so everyone can vote on the background they'd like to see used for this contest. The theme will be Fall/Thanksgiving/Hallowe'en. Once the background is decided, we'll launch the contest quickly using a format similar to what was discussed previously (quick contest, staff picks, random rotation).

The plan at this time is that we will then have a second contest shortly thereafter that is a bit more like the traditional contests, including user voting, since some felt that participating in the voting process was a valuable part of the collaborative experience. So we're going to run this first contest in an "abbreviated" way, but we'll also take feedback for the next contest. Our goal is to make this enjoyable for as many people as possible, while also providing the much-needed "refresh" of our banners.

Edit: You probably will have noticed, but the contest is running now!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-09-28 at 20:25.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 12:39   Link #318
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

curious, who did the banner with Miyu?
Old 2011-11-14, 13:02   Link #319
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
curious, who did the banner with Miyu?
You can find all the submissions here.