AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-10, 09:29   Link #61
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
lol can't argue about takeru. I think he is much more suited as battousai than Kenshin.(Yeah, i know they are the same person but whatever i'm trying to make a point here xD)
i know what you mean. kenshin in battousai mode is stiff, expressionless and emo. takeru's typical acting is very similar to that. lol but takeru can't pull off kenshin in his usual cheery and cute self. i can probably think of other actors who could do both sides of kenshin's personality, it's just too bad they went with takeru. i heard he's quite popular in japan so maybe that's partly the reason why they chose him. he's also quite famous in my country judging from the amount of fangirls who screamed, gushed and giggled every time he appeared onscreen.
Old 2012-12-10, 10:00   Link #62
sa547
*Author

Came back from the cineplex tonight. In my simple language (and leaving the talk to the cineastes), I'd say the movie is WORTH MY MONEY.
Old 2013-01-01, 13:45   Link #63
ChronoReverse

I have no preconceptions about the actors because I don't watch Japanese cinema or TV. With that view, the casting was surprising apt. I wouldn't mind if Kenshin had a kinder look on his face sometimes but he had the two sides of Kenshin. Perhaps I'm used to Kyoto Arc and onwards Kaoru but I felt she was good except the movie also had to put emphasis on Megumi (alas poor Megumi, I was never much of your fan). Sanosuke was more comic relief than I had hoped for but his straight-forwardness remained. Yahiko will need a second movie =(.

If there's anything to complain about the movie for me, it would be that 2:15 is a really small amount of time. Hence while they couldn't remove Kenshin vs Sanosuke, they ended up removing _why_ Sanosuke fought Kenshin with a simple placeholder reason instead which then makes his reason to stay with the group more flimsier.

Actually a very small thing so I can see why they'd do things like that all over since the things I know about the characters can't be packed into the movie.

It's also good that it was directed more like a regular movie as opposed to a "comic book adaptation". I admit that I was taken back a bit at first because my Kenshin fan heart had wanted him to be absolutely crushing his opponents in the exaggerated manner of the manga but it's much better this way since Rurouni Kenshin also had a nice serious story that can stand without heavy visual gimmicks.

For me, Rurouni Kenshin (2012) was a good start and I'm truly anticipating the subsequent movies.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 14:19   Link #64
Kirarakim

Forgot I saw this on the plane to Japan and really enjoyed it. Thought the casting of Saitou, Megumi, Kaoru, and especially Kenshin was spot on.

I wasn't as keen on how they introduced Sano & Yahiko. Obviously they are important characters but I don't think anyone new to the franchise would realize this.

And although I was sorry to lose Aoshi, I think they tied the first arc into a cohesive narrative pretty well.

That being said while I enjoyed the movie as a fan, I made my friend (unfamiliar with Kenshin) watch the movie and he said the only thing he got out of it was "killing is bad". I thought that was simplifying it but then my friend said I just thought this because I am familiar with the series. So that made me think maybe it's not good for someone new to the series. Of course this is just one non-fan perspective.

But as someone who is a long time Kenshin fan I really enjoyed it.
Old 2013-01-01, 14:25   Link #65
ChronoReverse

Well the first bit of Kenshin still didn't hammer home as hard the themes as Kyoto and Jinchuu did.

I agree that the killing nature Kenshin is fighting against wasn't brought to the forefront strongly enough even against Jineh and part of that is because of the Kanryuu A-plot of the movie. Still, I believe it's something that can be picked up on with a subsequent viewing (lots of movies are good in this way).
Old 2013-01-01, 19:17   Link #66
Xion Valkyrie

Hmm, aren't sequels already greenlit? How are they going to add Aoshi back in? I guess maybe they'll just cut him out entirely.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 01:01   Link #67
zalem

The movie has Saito but no Aoshi? That makes me sad. I mean don't get me wrong I'm very happy to see Saito, but story wise it doesn't make sense considering the movie seems to cover mostly Tokyo arc stories.
Old 2013-01-12, 05:06   Link #68
Xion Valkyrie

Just finished watching the movie. The scriptwriter is a genius to be able to take pretty much all the arcs up to the Megumi arc and combine it into a movie without it feeling overloaded. The shuffling of events is genius, especially how the Jinie arc got moved and combined. It's also good that they kept the special moves. The movie versions are REALLY cool and still look mostly realistic while keeping their flavor from the manga.

Sanosuke's and Yahiko's backstories got cut though, but I guess Yahiko's is not particularly important and Sanosuke's could be written into the sequel. The main problem is Aoshi got completely cut. I guess they could still work him into the sequel but it'd be much harder since most of his motivations for wanting to kill Kenshin wouldn't be there anymore.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 06:53   Link #69
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

That being said while I enjoyed the movie as a fan, I made my friend (unfamiliar with Kenshin) watch the movie and he said the only thing he got out of it was "killing is bad". I thought that was simplifying it but then my friend said I just thought this because I am familiar with the series. So that made me think maybe it's not good for someone new to the series. Of course this is just one non-fan perspective.

But as someone who is a long time Kenshin fan I really enjoyed it.
"Killing is bad" does simplify it, but maybe first timers will appreciate it more if they watch the sequels, assuming the sequels will do well in piecing the story together.

Anyway, after the movie I went to the restroom to empty my bladder. A bunch of girls were in there fixing their make-up and all. One of them commented, "I really don't get my boyfriend..." to which another replied, "Yeah! My boyfriend's joy and excitement is so shallow!" Lol.

I bet these were the same comments their boyfriends made when they were forced to watch Breaking Dawn with them.

It was just amusing.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 07:53   Link #70
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I bet these were the same comments their boyfriends made when they were forced to watch Breaking Dawn with them.
I doubt those girls were around when the anime series first got its start on Studio 23. That was back in 1999.
Old 2013-01-12, 09:19   Link #71
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I doubt those girls were around when the anime series first got its start on Studio 23. That was back in 1999.
I think they were. They looked like they were 20ish...

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2013-01-12, 09:24   Link #72
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I always believe that there are just some things you shouldn't bring the opposite gender to watch
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 14:35   Link #73
Kirarakim

Kenshin was actually very popular with female readership back in the day. I am sure there are just as many female fans as male fans of the series.

Female fan right here in fact!
Old 2013-01-12, 15:34   Link #74
ChronoReverse

I recall that Kenshin was in fact popular across the different demographics despite being shounen.

There was this blurb from the author apologizing for Hiko Seijurou's super muscled build betraying the female fans' expectations (from Hiko's pretty face haha) too!
Old 2013-01-12, 15:44   Link #75
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Yeah, Rurouni Kenshin does have a lot of female fans here. I'm also one too.
But the girls who watched the movie in the same cinema as us were newbies apparently.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2013-01-12, 15:54   Link #76
ChronoReverse

Thing is, the first bit of Kenshin really isn't _that_ interesting regardless of who you are. Especially to an audience over a decade later who have been inundated with media (as in movies and books, not the news).

The Kyoto Arc is the where the themes really crystallize and Jinchuu (it's a shame it never got animated) is the closure for our hero.
Old 2013-01-12, 16:03   Link #77
Kirarakim

Well I like the first arc of Kenshin but you are right in terms of storytelling it's the weakest of the 3 arcs. It's mainly made up of a bunch of mini stories.

There are certain stories I really like in the first arc. I love both Yahiko and especially Sano's introduction (and I am sorry the film didn't reflect this better).

I also like how Kenshin finds initial acceptance with Kaoru (this is something the film does reflect well).

But my favorite part of the Meiji arc is the concept of Aoshi not wanting to leave behind the Oniwabanshu who could not find a place in the new era (the film kind of covers this in other ways, but it mentions the plight of the samurai only in passing).

Another thing I think the film did well was show the connection between Megumi & Kenshin (although the film never explicitly states that Megumi wants to become a doctor to atone).

Thinking about it I guess it would be hard for new people to get what Kenshin was about from the first film as perhaps it didn't present what the story was about very well. I still felt it did a great job of creating one narrative out of many smaller stories in the first arc and re-creating the characters in a realistic way. So overall as a fan I still feel the first film was a success.

The Kyoto arc is more interesting narratively speaking but I wonder how the film will pull off Shisio and especially characters like Soujiro. And will they leave Aoshi out again? That would be a shame.
Old 2013-03-04, 09:03   Link #78
sa547
*Author

DVD (and possibly BR) to be released soon in my country -- through a local record chain called Odyssey.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2647142&type=1
Old 2013-06-02, 02:35   Link #79
ElCachicamo

I think they wasted a good opportunity to show the otakus in the west how a good Japanese movie really looks like. I'm pretty sure many of them think that the Japanese doesn't really know how to make a movie and can't act just because of their shitty live-action adaptations.

When you have films like Twilight Samurai, Seppuku, Sword Of Doom, Seven Samurai and Ran in your fucking cinema history something like Rurouni Kenshin is inexcusable. I think Samurai X has the potential for a really good film, something really awesome and the OVA showed that.

I love twilight Samurai a lot and this was the perfect tone for Rurouni Kenshin.

In Twilight Samurai the characters feel real and that's the reason why you care about Seibei Iguchi when he is in a fight, it had good acting. Even an action movie like Miike's 13 Assassins had better acting in it than Rurouni Kenshin, Kôji Yakusho is a brilliant actor and he was the lead in that movie.

Last edited by ElCachicamo; 2013-06-02 at 03:04.
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 04:44   Link #80
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

You're sour because it didn't feel like a classic samurai movie.

Nope, instead, it felt like an adaptation of a comic book.
Maybe because, oh I dunno, it is.

And a good adaptation.
Rurouni Kenshin was never even supposed to be a Kurosawa film, nor should it be.

And this is coming from an old-timer who owns Kurosawa films on Laser discs, and love it.
Spoiler: