AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-13, 02:02   Link #1
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
American Comicbook Discussion thread

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of anything related to western books, reviews, terms, likes, loves, hates, questions about the industry itself and anything else possibly related.

This IS NOT. A "western books are better then your books" and vise versa type thread. Keep it clean and keep it on point, if it turns into that kind of stupid bullshit, it'll get locked.

Also another purpose is to introduce fans that might be willing to cross over and try some western books, because like everything else when it comes to entertainment of this type, you have to look. Because I'm pretty sure theres more people like me that can enjoy both sides of the spectrum without ridiculous misconecptions, and superiority complexes that fans have on both sides. *rolls eyes* Shit gets old, some people need to loosen up and grow up, but thats besides the point. So yeah, enjoy, anyone can jump in with comments and what not.

Let me break down my comicism. I'm a huge DC fan, love DC books/characters, Marvel's not really my taste, but Marvel's Ultimate Universe books has made me a HUGE fanboy of theirs though. Captain America from the Ultimates has one of the best lines in comicbook history. I don't read a lot of independent stuff or second line stuff (Vertigo and what not) the only real independent book I read is Fables. My favorite writers: Kevin Smith, Mark Millar, Geoff Johns, Chuck Austen, Brad Meltzer Loeb and a few others.
Favorite artists: Turner, Hitch, Brooks, McKone, Pat Lee, Jim Lee and several others.
Disliked writers: Bendis, Grayson and Morrison sometimes.
Disliked Artists: Hester.

What I'm reading right now: Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, Nightwing, Outsiders, Identity Crisis, Teen Titans, Superman/Batman, Fables, some Sandman, JSA, ROBIN, Batgirl, Birds of Prey, DareDevil 2099, Black Panther 2099, and Powers.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 02:28   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I can't say I'm actively reading any particular series, I more or less just purchase random volumes and editions of things that look interesting.

Although I do make a point of reading everything that is JTHM, anything released by Evan Dorkin and whatever Lenore I can find and get my hands on. On the other hand I'm an avid read of titles like Blue Monday, Scooter Girl, Summer Blonde, Goodbye Chunky Rice and Queen of the Black Black. ^^: While I occassionally flip through various Marvel and DC releases the characters never really appeal to me. I prefer the more grim, grusome and morbid titles like the ones I cited above and a large number of the more independantly released one-shot titles and graphic novels (actual novels).

Of course Bill Watterson is a healthy staple of any comic diet.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 02:35   Link #3
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
I don't read any series in particular, but more of books written/drawn by that certain artist. Such as the Esiner award-winning duo Tim Sale and Jim Loeb (I think he's a Jim... can't remember), they've done books for both the big 2 (Marvel and DC) and I love their work. Another one of my favourite writers is Neil Gaiman, most well-known for his re-vamped Sandman series, I like his novels too. Then there's Frank Miller, I've only read Batman: Dark Knight Returns and the issues of Daredevil in which he was involved, just in case, Frank Miller is a legend in the western comics industry along with Will Eisner whom an award's been named after. Will Eisner is the grandaddy of modern sesquential storytelling/comics, I'm not a particular fan of his books, but I do pick them up occasionally.
The New X-Men series is also pretty cool, story and art wise. And finally there's The Invisible Art Of Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud= must read.
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 02:56   Link #4
JubeiYamazaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I can't say I'm actively reading any particular series, I more or less just purchase random volumes and editions of things that look interesting.

Although I do make a point of reading everything that is JTHM, anything released by Evan Dorkin and whatever Lenore I can find and get my hands on. On the other hand I'm an avid read of titles like Blue Monday, Scooter Girl, Summer Blonde, Goodbye Chunky Rice and Queen of the Black Black. ^^: While I occassionally flip through various Marvel and DC releases the characters never really appeal to me. I prefer the more grim, grusome and morbid titles like the ones I cited above and a large number of the more independantly released one-shot titles and graphic novels (actual novels).

Of course Bill Watterson is a healthy staple of any comic diet.
I've actually read Scooter Girl and Queen of the Black Black, just not my cup of tea, but theres a lot of great independent books out there, just don't got the cash for em'. Also I consider all comics graphic novels and vise versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
I don't read any series in particular, but more of books written/drawn by that certain artist. Such as the Esiner award-winning duo Tim Sale and Jim Loeb (I think he's a Jim... can't remember), they've done books for both the big 2 (Marvel and DC) and I love their work. Another one of my favourite writers is Neil Gaiman, most well-known for his re-vamped Sandman series, I like his novels too. Then there's Frank Miller, I've only read Batman: Dark Knight Returns and the issues of Daredevil in which he was involved, just in case, Frank Miller is a legend in the western comics industry along with Will Eisner whom an award's been named after. Will Eisner is the grandaddy of modern sesquential storytelling/comics, I'm not a particular fan of his books, but I do pick them up occasionally.
The New X-Men series is also pretty cool, story and art wise. And finally there's The Invisible Art Of Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud= must read.

I like Will Eisner's stuff a lot, but I would never put him and Frank Miller in the same catagory, I mean I absolutely loved Return of the Dark Knight, Miller's popularity from that book was that he was able to give Batman this really dark and edgy view that was really rarely seen until then, and basically started the "elseworld" type genre for superheroes. But the artwork damn... compared to his other work, Return of the Dark Knight had really shitty art, imo. I mean it got so bad that a former DC Editor had to go and just lay down the truth, cause for him that artwork was pretty bad, and I absolutely agreed with him on it. But Return of the Dark Knight story was just so great, I loved it.
Old 2004-12-13, 03:20   Link #5
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
Also I consider all comics graphic novels and vise versa.
I consider the collection releases of most comic series more like short stories (nothing against them). They're still good, but I feel the term novel is more suited to stories by authors/artists like Craig Thompson, the author of Goodbye Chunky Rice and the recently released title Blankets, Alex Robinson, author/artist of Box Office Poison, and others who's works often exceed 500 pages (Blankets is actually closer to 600 pages and Box Office Poison is nearly 610 pages). The term works for both, but I like to use novel for the more lengthy titles that actually seem like such. ^^:
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 03:29   Link #6
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Channel Zero by Brian Wood is, for me, a classic, anyone read this?
Old 2004-12-13, 05:16   Link #7
beet

Im a huge Hellboy fan, although i havent seen the movie yet. Im not that into superheroes with costumes, except for Spawn wich I realy like since I was a kid.

Other comics i enjoy are Transmetropolitan and The Goon (i dont remember the writers of these two). I realy enjoy when the way its drawn simple and very hard lines, therefor i see Priest as the ultimate comic/manga (well Priest is from Korea so its rated as a Manwah but i dont realy care). And later on i found that the Priest writer realy liked Hellboy so now Im totaly into that.
beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 10:10   Link #8
7thMethuselah

I do read alot of comics but most of them aren't american ones as far as I know, the ones I own are mostly local. I think the only ones I pretty sure of that are american are Jim Davis' Garfield (you gotta love it ) , Bill Watersons "Casper&Hobbes" (I think it's called Calvin & Hobbes in the US). Especially Casper and Hobbes is one of my favorite comics
Oh I also read Storm which may or may not be an american comic book.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 12:34   Link #9
Seraph

I use to be a HUGE fan of Marvel. Then in the late 90' they started to h0re themselves out. Sence thenI only flip through a new X-title if I'm in the comic book shop waiting on my boyfriend to get his minis.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 20:00   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
I dont particularly like marvel's style, so i stayed away from here... until i opened the paper this morning and remembered all the non-marvel comics.

Political cartoonists: cant get enough of them.

Satirists/realists/family cartoons- yes! (PS: bill amend is a genius)

I like a ridiculous number of them

(geez. i can see this being a humongous thread)

in no particular order

Zits, Baby blues (both done by Jerry scott... hmm?)
For better or worse
Crankshaft
Foxtrot (go bill amend)
Brewster rockit (new one, like this one alot, very ironic/satirical)
Jump start
Drabble
Frazz
Blondie
Momma
In the bleachers (todays was about ron artest. particulary fits the title yes?)
Herman (today's was particualrly good)
Get fuzzy
Saly forth
Bizzaro
Pardon my planet
Non sequiter (GO wiley!) (and diane)
Mallard fillmore (another artest, usually not this good)
Boondocks (Aaron McGruder, Harriet beecher stowe?)

yeah. most everything in the comics. and

Garfeild - which is why i have a maniac craving for lasagne

i eat them up.

and... ... uhh... family circus. sometimes.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 03:18   Link #11
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Transmet was witten by Warren Ellis.

Has anyone read Jeff Smith's Bone? That series kicks ass - and has been re-released in a $40, 1300-page gigantic book.

I'm trying to find copies of Maus, but currently reading a ton of mainstream Marvel/DC titles.

Jim Lee/Brian Azzarello's Superman is pretty good. Identity Crisis and JSA, and Superman/Batman are better.

Probably the most random thing I read is Too Much Coffee Man.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 03:26   Link #12
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

If you find a copy of Maus online... let me know raikage...

I've been wanting to read Scud: The Disposable Assassin for some time know... the art looks cool and the premise is even nicer... but sadly I haven't yet....

btw... does anyone know what the title is of a comic based on Peter Pan and the Lost Boys as vampires in Central Park NY? if anyone knows pls let me know... ever since I saw a review of it on the Anti-Gravity Room tv show (we miss you Phil ) a few years ago I've been wanting to read it... but I don't know the title...
Old 2004-12-14, 05:38   Link #13
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
I'm trying to find copies of Maus, but currently reading a ton of mainstream Marvel/DC titles.
I've read Maus #1, got it from the library (*Surprise!*) . Picked up Maus #2 too, but it was overdue before I actually read it. As far as humour is concerned, the funniest comic out there would be, in my opinion, Dilbert, a close second would be Get Fuzzy.
Old 2004-12-14, 12:15   Link #14
Seraph

Let us not forget the greatness of Berekely Breathed with Bloom County, or more currently Opus!
If you ever have children you MUST get Goodnight Opus. It is wonderful.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 13:21   Link #15
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
I do read alot of comics but most of them aren't american ones as far as I know, the ones I own are mostly local. I think the only ones I pretty sure of that are american are Jim Davis' Garfield (you gotta love it ) , Bill Watersons "Casper&Hobbes" (I think it's called Calvin & Hobbes in the US). Especially Casper and Hobbes is one of my favorite comics
That's pretty strange. Why would they change the name of the main character, expecially since they were aptly named after famous philosophers. But yeah, Calvin & Hobbes will be forever remembered as one of the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
Let us not forget the greatness of Berekely Breathed with Bloom County, or more currently Opus!
He is indeed a cartooning genius, but his name is 'Berke'. I know, it looks and sounds wierd, but there it is.

As for the stuff in the paper these days, I have to admit I don't follow them much anymore, with the exception of Doonesbury. Despite the fact that Breathed supposedly lives around here, the local paper does not carry Opus. I do get a good laugh from Get Fuzzy and Foxtrot most of the time. After a while, Dilbert started sounding a little less like humor and a little more like an entire nation complaining about their jobs, so I'm not hte fan I used to be. It still tickles the funny bone from time to time, though, usually through some random absurdity like Phil, the Prince of Insufficient Light.

For comic books in the US, my tastes run the opposite of Jubei. The only thing I'll read from DC is Vertigo books, I much prefer Marvel, although both the big houses lose out compared to the better independant stuff. Brian Michael Bendis may be the best thing to happen to comics in years, and J Michael Strazyncki has been turning out quality material for a while now. I heard Busiek was finally getting back to writing Astro City, which is music to my ears. Now if Alan Moore would crank out a new chapter of Top 10, I might actually have to make trips to the comic book store a habit again.

Quote:
Has anyone read Jeff Smith's Bone? That series kicks ass - and has been re-released in a $40, 1300-page gigantic book.
Yes, Bone was awesome. I really, really hope Smith is working on a new project now that he's finally finished with that, 'cuz that man has loads of talent.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 20:30   Link #16
raikage
日本語を食べません!

This thread ain't gonna die that easy!

Who else finished reading Identity Crisis?
Spoiler:
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-18, 20:34   Link #17
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

Its all about Stan Sakai's, Usagi Yojimbo from Dark Horse.

<3 <3 <3

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 01:30   Link #18
JubeiYamazaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
I'm a big fan of Berkeley Breathed and Aaron McGruder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
I've read Maus #1, got it from the library (*Surprise!*) . Picked up Maus #2 too, but it was overdue before I actually read it.
My friend has Maus #1 paperback, and I was reading it at his house, and oh my god, what a great book I need to buy #1 and #2. Good thing Christmas is coming up.

Quote:
This thread ain't gonna die that easy!

Who else finished reading Identity Crisis?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-20, 15:53   Link #19
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Anyone herd of the Red Son Comic book, Looks rather intresting.
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 04:40   Link #20
HoboGod
Necromancer

I think Spawn is probably my favorite. But I love most comic books out there. I used to go down to the comic book store and read anything I could get my hands on as long as I knew it would be violent or funny. I don't get much of a chance to hang out in comic book stores anymore, but I still like to from time to time.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote