AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you rather win the lottery or be US President?
$200 million lottery 145 94.77%
US Presidency for 4 years 8 5.23%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-11-04, 17:49   Link #1
Cal-Reflector

Would you rather win the lottery or be president?

I think this question is interesting because it presents a choice between two things which have been universally coveted throughout human history: Money and power and all that they bring. Many dream of becoming rich or president and the more dedicated spend their lives working towards it. Both are tough goals that few achieve, although becoming a mega-millionaire seems like the more attainable of the two.

So what would I rather have: 200 million dollars or the US Presidency for 4 years?

A few years ago I would have taken the presidency, but now I would choose the money. The reason for this is my diminished confidence in the political offices. I read a poll a long time ago that a majority of US college students believe the country would be in better shape if they were running the show; I'm not sure I can. International politics too has a depressing record; genocides and famines still occur repeatedly and the UN is powerless to intervene when large nation's interests are at stake. Disease and Civil war is still rampant in Africa. Developing countries are still building dirty power plants (why shouldn't they? The West had its turn in the industrial revolution). What's an American president to do about all this?

On national and international issues, in a democracy such as ours, progress on important issues must come at the expense of up to 49% of those concerned. Legalizing or Banning gay marriage will probably make more people upset than satisfied either way. Restricting the right to pollute will limit the economic growth of developing countries. There's also taxes, guns, spending on welfare and defense, nuclear power usage, etc. I may have an opinion on these issues, some of those opinions could even be beliefs, but when you're the one who actually makes the decision to try to make these things happen and are shouldered with the consequences and possibilities of failure and the bad blood to follow... I'd rather take the lottery jackpot.

Just to illustrate how unsure I am of my ability to be president: I think there may even be some video games that I'd ban. Just like how even though I like gun ownership as a constitutional right, I don't think people should be allowed to own rocket launchers. It's foreseeable that in the future, when GTA become mundane, video games will permit players to become slave traders, child killers, drug dealers, rapists, you name it. In fact, I think all these options are already available. So yeah.

I'd take the money, skip the bureaucracy and political pressure, and try to help those in need more directly, if I were so ideally inclined that is. Thus I'd avoid the burden of spending taxpayer's money in a fashion that is fair to everyone in America and the rest of the world, which is absolutely impossible and something only God can do.

I don't need 200 million dollars to be a writer, but maybe the money would be useful if I wanted to convince someone to turn my writing into a manga or anime, which would surely be a huge hit and inspire millions: An anime where the hero, his childhood girl friend (naturally his primary romantic interest) and his pet German Shepherd battle vicious warlords in Africa and unethical businessmen who are polluting the world we share.

On second thought, perhaps banning handguns while allowing rocket launchers wouldn't be such a bad idea. The majority of gun owners who like to hunt and shoot on the range still can, and would probably enjoy more the explosive thrill the latter provides, while criminals and robbers would have a harder time acquiring rocket launchers and sneaking around with them. The important thing would then be to prevent cheap Chinese rocket launchers from flooding in.
Old 2008-11-04, 17:58   Link #2
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well its a no brainer for me. The lottery. I just wouldn't feel up to the task of president and I just don't have what it takes to run a country. Getting all that money would be great, but I'd make sure not to become one of those countless idiots who shovel all there money away on pointless ventures that eventually ruins their lives.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 19:14   Link #3
Claude

Send a message via AIM to Claude Send a message via Yahoo to Claude
I'd much rather win the lottery because I would probably do something stupid and get assassinated.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 19:26   Link #4
Cherudim Arche

I would also go with the lottery, as the the burden will come and go. As president, it would be a nightmare to deal with all risks involved domestically and internationally. The burden keeps on falling on the president one after another. The qualification are too important as president, so it must be nitpicked. I don't think those tough decisions are something I would do.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 19:27   Link #5
nanafan
horo fan

hmm i agree with the others i would rather win the lottery, i don't think i could handle the pressure or want to have a big responsibility like that.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 20:06   Link #6
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I picked the lottery. To be honest, I would prefer having way less than 200 million dollars, for having that much money is dangerous in itself...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 20:17   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I picked 200 million as well.

I'd really live my life as a NEET if I had such money.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 20:56   Link #8
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

This is ridiculous. I would use the lottery to run for my presidency and still have money left over. I would have absolutely no problem letting my mind being a vessel for my country's ideals. This country needs a honest candidate with no gray areas, and that honestly won't happen for some time.
BOOKGLUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 21:03   Link #9
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOKGLUTTON View Post
This is ridiculous. I would use the lottery to run for my presidency and still have money left over. I would have absolutely no problem letting my mind being a vessel for my country's ideals. This country needs a honest candidate with no gray areas, and that honestly won't happen for some time.
lol but you would have to have a political office to gain experience, or get a name in the world of politics.
i would rather the lottery since i can pay off my loans, find an apartment, etc...
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 21:04   Link #10
xia

I'm the type of person who just doesnt like to take on to much responsibility, so I much rather win the lottery than be the leader and chief of a country.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 21:10   Link #11
Irkalla
I asked for this

Since I'm not from USA neither do I want to be, I'll chose the money. Does that count or do I need to be a resident to vote :O
Old 2008-11-04, 21:15   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can be a lot more politically effective with $200M than by being President.... under the current status quo.
Old 2008-11-04, 22:00   Link #13
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I rather be president. Because I believe I can create changes.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:03   Link #14
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Same. I'd rather be pres. Although in modern society, even with $100 mil. I might be able to make a huge difference politically. Bribe a few here and there..

Seriously, I aim to be a bigger figure in the future anyway.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:24   Link #15
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
lol but you would have to have a political office to gain experience, or get a name in the world of politics.
i would rather the lottery since i can pay off my loans, find an apartment, etc...
Views alone can get you moderate amounts of recognition. Some light terms in office are all that's really needed to get running.
BOOKGLUTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:29   Link #16
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Money, obviously.

1. I'm not a US citizen

2. I have more control over money than people.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:31   Link #17
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Money, obviously.

1. I'm not a US citizen

2. I have more control over money than people.
Of course this is that we are assuming you are a citizen and can be prez ^^, Kang Seu.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:35   Link #18
FateAnomaly

Lottery by far no question about it. With 200m i can do the things i like and retire now. With the presidency... well i can't think of anything good that will come out of it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 22:56   Link #19
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

One has to see the debauchery of American politics, the other gives me millions of dollars taken from poor people who were made to think they have a flying chance at jumping several tax brackets. I can't do either in good conscience.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-05, 00:54   Link #20
Cal-Reflector

Today is a good day for America. It's another step forward since desegregation, arguably the final step, the last step that can be cleared through ballots and politics. Today America comes clean with its deepest self-inflicted wound and source of shame.

It's clear now that the majority of voters did not let race decided their vote. Of course there are still those who let race decide whether they were for or against Obama. There will continue to be those who vote this way in the future, but they didn't decide this election, and that is a victory all Americans can be proud of. So if you, like me, didn't vote for Obama because he said he'd raise taxes on rich people, etc, that's alright, what's important is that you voted against him for the right reasons. And what are the right reasons? That is debatable, but they definitely don't include race.

Back in 2000, to be fair, that is without the benefit of hindsight, no one could say that they KNEW Al Gore was going to be an awesome president and they KNEW Bush was going to be, well, the end of the world. Now, 2008, I still don't think anyone can say they KNOW Obama is going to be an awesome president or they KNOW McCain would make an awful president. In Gore and McCain's case we'll never find out, but we're going to find out about Obama; He could make a great president and we're giving him that chance because we were able to look past the color of his skin. That's not to be taken for granted. That is very cool.

Alright, I'm going to scrounge together something alcoholic now, because even though the guy I voted for lost, there's still a cause for celebration today.