AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-12-12, 09:48   Link #1441
FateAnomaly

I think she just lost the most recent ones first?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 10:03   Link #1442
Ickarium

If I had to handwave it, SHE can't choose what to take. But a living Gundo can. And it was her last gift to Chaika.
Old 2014-12-12, 10:36   Link #1443
Go0gleplex
The Old Guy

Well...other than the time she was hunting for remains, Chaika's real memories were sealed off or overwritten by the Chaika magic. It's likely that the fake memories formed a shield of sorts.

"No society can thrive when it puts more money, effort, and emotion into its vices rather than its virtues."

Harem of choice? Uzume, Rory Mercury, Raphtalia, and Yasaka.
Go0gleplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 11:34   Link #1444
Sixth
Hu Tao

I think the best part of the ending is Toru. This guy finally changed and take the initiative on his own..I mean career wise. I wonder, how's great the dragon cavalry life would be now.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 11:42   Link #1445
Kouvley

Enjoyable show overall despite a very rushed ending.
I guess knowing that it would end on ep10 and expecting a rushed ending kinda softened the blow.

Interested to see how the LN ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Also, official site popularity poll results:
Images
long pics
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
An owl came 12th....?
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 17:43   Link #1446
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
I think the best part of the ending is Toru. This guy finally changed and take the initiative on his own..I mean career wise. I wonder, how's great the dragon cavalry life would be now.
Same problem as with the Saboteur life: with Gaz gone, no one really needs one.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 18:57   Link #1447
Ickarium

I don't know about that. After all, outside the special Iron Blood thing, there were equivalents on the Gilette team. Issue is Toru was less than proactive about things. There's lots of things he could to that are outside outright war.
Old 2014-12-12, 22:51   Link #1448
MgMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Good point! And I'm actually very glad this happened right at the end and not before as it would've made the entertaining struggling battles so far kind of boring as he'd steamroll his foes.

That being said,I supposed it could've happened an episode earlier(or if the show had at least another ep) so his transformation wouldn't be so rushed.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 23:56   Link #1449
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
All I could think about is '' Wait .. what just happened '' throughout the episode. Everything happened WAY too fast, he just got resurrected and KO'ed already? Niva helped Chaika without any explanation other than '' I have personality '' and never turned back to the human form .. Chaika used her memories, no epilogue as to what extent the memory loss was .. and so on.

I didn't even know this was going to be the last episode so I was even more confused. A bad and confusing ending for sure .. It needed at LEAST one more episode.
Old 2014-12-13, 00:12   Link #1450
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I am talking about the power that granted to dragon cavalry. Regeneration, flying, badass armor, ability to change cloth at will and etc.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 00:24   Link #1451
SvenCalBayan

I agree with most people here, the ending of this series was rushed. It's sad, it is what it is.

Still, I liked it. Chaika was cute... I wonder what would an adult Chaika would look like.
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 00:31   Link #1452
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvley View Post
An owl came 12th....?
That owl is a badass.
Old 2014-12-13, 03:27   Link #1453
Alchemist007
*Author

Quite the rushed ending, though overall the series was a fun watch.
Old 2014-12-13, 04:59   Link #1454
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
I don't know about that. After all, outside the special Iron Blood thing, there were equivalents on the Gilette team.
Yes, but how many such jobs are there, compared to how many out-of-work soldiers are left? And Saboteurs didn't seem to have a good reputation, for some reason... (They fought for both sides?) Plus, he seems overqualified for a lot of peace-time jobs... It's even worse now that he's a Dragon Cavalier.

Quote:
Issue is Toru was less than proactive about things. There's lots of things he could to that are outside outright war.
At a guess, when looking for work in whatever it is Saboteurs do, "who you know" matters more than "what you know".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 10:55   Link #1455
desrtsku
Nympholept

Moral of the story.

Giving your weapon a cute appearance is fine, but never give them a freaking personality you damn fool.
Arthur Gaz, you were a man of fine taste. But in the end, your love for cute little girls killed you.
Old 2014-12-13, 14:10   Link #1456
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

All I have to say is that after a promising start, the second season ended up being one massive disappointment. It spent the majority of the time meandering through the same ground as the last season and then capped it off with a rushed and unsatisfying conclusion.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-14, 00:07   Link #1457
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Bells of Contention

Chaika is concluded, so I can cover the last episodes in a more free fashion, as well as I won't be repeating opinions that read somewhere else.

To be honest, with so many things to settle in a span of around three episodes the S2 eighth episode felt shabby to me in terms of pacing, execution, and developments. Nothing the characters did became anything like breakthrough or outstanding; the course of events felt like a monotony.
Besides, the Black Chaika and her sisters were just passive spectators to the death matches unfolded inside the arena; flies onto the wall, figuratively speaking.

Although there were a few WTF moments that elicit a quick reaction from me like:
1. The many Chaikas after Frederica and Akari getting sliced, and yet their body parts continue to move. Ew

2. With that little and frail body, and yet Vivi was able to swing that BF sword, and sliced Gillete's right hand, literally, in order to snap him out of his senses, though I believe it was mostly in self-defense.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-14, 07:57   Link #1458
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I don't know how to feel about Niva defecting to chaika's side to finish off Gaz, the reason that "I have personality" doesn't quite explain what happened. She even didn't revert back to human form!

Gaz even just stood there knowing how powerful Niva was! can't he even bring down the shutter of the castle to protect himself or something?

So 2.5 chaikas survived, Gilette got the 0.5, and Tohru got the 2. Not a bad deal, he even got Akari and Frederica.

Lastly, at least we knew white chaika kinda became normal after that, saying arigato instead of kansha. Maybe i was just reading into that too much. Not such a bad end all in all.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-14, 11:48   Link #1459
justsomeguy

With only ten eps, season two was pretty rushed, and the finale felt no different from the other quests since there was too little rising action in the story. The last episode especially felt strange. Toru becomes a dragoon cavalier, and all he manages to do is kill Shin, who was introduced late and underdeveloped, and would have been killed by Gaz if Gaz hadn't arbitrarily decided to open the shutters and lower the shields. And Niva switches sides so arbitrarily and conveniently, declaring that she "had personality," and then she ends up locked up forever in her gundo form. If Chaika were an RPG, the finale was basically all GM fiat: "Sheesh, Toru's player finally switched classes, and since it's the end of the campaign he won't get to level up in it. Wait, the party split up, right before the final boss fight?! Fine, Akari gets to fight the enemy Chaika's, even though that was supposed to be entirely handled by the NPCs. ... Crap, of course Toru is failing at soloing Gaz, I'd better have him open up the fortress so Chaika can provide supporting fire. Goddammit, Chaika's idiot player wasted her ammo shooting the castle. I want a happy ending, so I'll have Niva go to her. And then everybody resolved their personal problems concerning their place in the world and lived happily ever after, all problems in the world are solved, yada yada, good job everybody. What are we playing next?"

Still, even if the second season was inadequate, and the presentation as a whole lacked dramatic and emotional flare, IMO enough good will carried over from the first season and Chaika was her typical cute self so that I can't rage on this. The second season probably deserves no higher than a 6/10, but both seasons combined would get an 8/10 from me.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-14, 12:42   Link #1460
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I agree that the ending was rushed as hell. Way too many conveniences and facepalm-worthy moments. Up until episode 9, the show was going quite strong, but the fact that it only had ten episodes ruined any hope of a proper ending.

Niva's defection wasn't surprising in the very least, though it was forced, anyway. "Oh yeah, I forgot I suddenly have personality, so I'll just fly over to my former master and have her kill you." And Gaz just stood there, as if he knew this was coming all along, which makes his entire evil scheme kinda pointless, if you ask me. Also, did he really have to lower his fortress' defenses and enable Niva to defect to Chaika? Why did he even want to kill her, anyway, when she was powerless to stop him all that time? In fact, why didn't he kill all the Chaikas once their purpose had been fulfilled?

And then we have Toru contracting with Frederica. Also, not surprising, as she had been nagging him about it for a long time and it was clear that he couldn't keep on staying as a Saboteur. However, did he really have to be so weak? If Shin hadn't been taking his sweet little time in the duel, he could've defeated his brother with relative ease. Heck, you'd think Frederica herself would become more powerful, too, but she just got shoved aside and didn't do anything.

Then there's the aftermath. Apparently, White Chaika used up all her memories as fuel for Niva to kill Gaz. First of all, she made a promise to Toru to not do that, yet she showed no qualms in doing so right there and then, as if that vow didn't mean anything. At the very least, they could have shown her reminiscing about it briefly, before making that decision. And exactly which memories did she lose? Everything, or just the ones that Gaz gave her? And does she still remember her feelings for Toru? While it seemed like she does, it would have been nice to see some closure on that, too.

7/10 for this season, 8/10 for the series as a whole.

Tags
fantasy, harem, magitech