AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2017-12-04, 14:31   Link #41
Twi

Because its an easy target. I can make a laundry list of issues I have with the story, so I'm a little disappointed that White Fox chose to adapt it. I mean, it'll probably look great but it feels like a step down for me.

That being said, they're probably going to have to censor a lot of it considering the source material isn't exactly the most appropriate for a mass audience.
Old 2017-12-04, 16:39   Link #42
borisdrakoni

I don't know that there will be all that much censorship. The source material is rated 15+, which isn't really all that bad from a mass audience perspective. There isn't much in the way of gratuitous fanservice throughout the series, so at most maybe just some of the more violent moments from the early part of the story may be toned down a bit. Then again, since it will air on AT-X it might still be fine in that regard.
borisdrakoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-04, 19:45   Link #43
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Because its an easy target. I can make a laundry list of issues I have with the story, so I'm a little disappointed that White Fox chose to adapt it. I mean, it'll probably look great but it feels like a step down for me.

That being said, they're probably going to have to censor a lot of it considering the source material isn't exactly the most appropriate for a mass audience.
I wouldn't mind if they tanked the job. For all of this show's flaws, it'll probably be the first to introduce the asshole, hypocritical hero trope that's been pervasive of the isekai genre.

This won't be worse than smartphone. But it'll be a different kind of offensive than Knight's & Magic.

Last edited by bakato; 2017-12-04 at 20:42.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-04, 22:41   Link #44
pezzie

Arifureta wasn't a great series, but after it ended it went into the after story and those have been hilarious and funny and fun! Way better than the actual series itself (it's still going after over 100 chapters, lol)

It's a shame the after story will never get animated.
pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-05, 01:43   Link #45
Fufufu
Doffy

All these isekai mangas and novels being animated still waiting for tensei shitara slime datta ken being animated.
Fufufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-05, 09:53   Link #46
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufufu View Post
All these isekai mangas and novels being animated still waiting for tensei shitara slime datta ken being animated.
I'm still waiting for Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? to get anime
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-05, 15:46   Link #47
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I expected censorship back when it was adapted into a print LN, but when I actually took a look at it, I realized that it wasn't censored at all. So I feel like... not necessarily. However, it is inevitable that White Fox will cut a lot of scenes due to time constraints, and they could easily choose to cut such scenes. A lot depends on how many cours this is, and how far into the story they plan to adapt.

Also, XFire, thanks for venting on my behalf. It's been interesting reading your discussion with AB079. Haak also raised a good point regarding the spoiler policy. The fans who really love the series and want to speculate in detail can't do that here, so this thread probably attracts relatively more people who aren't part of that group or otherwise aren't interested in in-depth discussion, and the result is as you see. Not that I'm denying that Arifureta has a larger "anti" fanbase that most similar works. But so does Naruto.

By the way, when the author criticizes himself, I think he's just referring to the fact that his prose isn't well-rounded/versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The studio that contributed to outstanding isekai with Re:Zero is now vomiting this garbage.
This post actually makes me feel better, as I didn't remember that White Fox also did Re:Zero. (I thought the Re:Zero comparisons were just because it's iconic isekai, but now I see it's more than that.) I do understand that the staff roll counts for more than the studio name, but I can at least reassure myself that White Fox shouldn't want to ruin the reputation that Re:Zero brought them for great isekai web novel adaptations by producing an underfunded Arifureta... hopefully?
Old 2017-12-05, 16:03   Link #48
XFire
150% done

The authors note isn't nearly as self abusing as most take it to be.

It's more a quirk of Japanese culture than anything. Humility is a major virtue for them, and one does not, under nearly any circumstance, actually brag or even accept praise for ones own accomplishments.

It's the reason that when someone praises someone in an anime they'll rub the back of their head, do the little half bow, and go "no, no" and say they owe it all to X. Parents will do this even when their child is being praised by a teacher, and it's the origin of those gags where someone actually does brag about their child/sibling/lover and everyone else reacts in surprise or exasperation and labels them as excessively doting.

Similarly, when a creator expresses their thanks to his or her fanbase, it will almost always involve some form of self deprecation like "I never thought it would last this long" or "thank you for sticking with this silly story".

That's their way of being polite and respectful to the people they're talking to. Not something to be taken at face value as "Hey this story I wrote is bad but thanks for liking it lol"
Old 2017-12-05, 18:08   Link #49
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
This post actually makes me feel better, as I didn't remember that White Fox also did Re:Zero. (I thought the Re:Zero comparisons were just because it's iconic isekai, but now I see it's more than that.) I do understand that the staff roll counts for more than the studio name, but I can at least reassure myself that White Fox shouldn't want to ruin the reputation that Re:Zero brought them for great isekai web novel adaptations by producing an underfunded Arifureta... hopefully?
That depends. I remember a certain key frame QC guy who was on the staff for the SAO movie didn't do jack shit because he focused completely on ERASED. IT was a wise decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
The authors note isn't nearly as self abusing as most take it to be.

It's more a quirk of Japanese culture than anything. Humility is a major virtue for them, and one does not, under nearly any circumstance, actually brag or even accept praise for ones own accomplishments.

It's the reason that when someone praises someone in an anime they'll rub the back of their head, do the little half bow, and go "no, no" and say they owe it all to X. Parents will do this even when their child is being praised by a teacher, and it's the origin of those gags where someone actually does brag about their child/sibling/lover and everyone else reacts in surprise or exasperation and labels them as excessively doting.

Similarly, when a creator expresses their thanks to his or her fanbase, it will almost always involve some form of self deprecation like "I never thought it would last this long" or "thank you for sticking with this silly story".

That's their way of being polite and respectful to the people they're talking to. Not something to be taken at face value as "Hey this story I wrote is bad but thanks for liking it lol"
There's nothing abusive or humiliating about that note. The guy knows his audience and his shortcomings all too well. The rest is just the average professional ethics of a writer.
Old 2017-12-05, 23:27   Link #50
XFire
150% done

Quote:
That depends. I remember a certain key frame QC guy who was on the staff for the SAO movie didn't do jack shit because he focused completely on ERASED. IT was a wise decision.

There's nothing abusive or humiliating about that note. The guy knows his audience and his shortcomings all too well. The rest is just the average professional ethics of a writer.
Sure, because Japanese values ceased to exist for this single note and it should be taken as if it was written by an American author.
Old 2017-12-05, 23:58   Link #51
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Sure, because Japanese values ceased to exist for this single note and it should be taken as if it was written by an American author.
The contents are what any writer would say. Thanks to fans and publisher and thoughts about his work.
Old 2017-12-06, 02:01   Link #52
XFire
150% done

Quote:
The contents are what any writer would say. Thanks to fans and publisher and thoughts about his work.
The self-deprecation is included in that. Every Japanese author talks about their work like that. Every Japanese person period talks like that.
Old 2017-12-06, 03:01   Link #53
AnimeFangirl

It is true that Japanese authors tend to put themselves down, but even by those standards Arifureta's author's comments were particularly abject. Maybe s/he's just super humble... or super self-aware.
Old 2017-12-06, 08:47   Link #54
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
It is true that Japanese authors tend to put themselves down, but even by those standards Arifureta's author's comments were particularly abject. Maybe s/he's just super humble... or super self-aware.
They really aren't. Authors talking about how they didn't expect their novel to get an anime or how they thought readers would turn away from their setting are fairly common, and anyone who got pulled up from a webnovel will generally mention something along the lines of "I can't believe someone saw potential in my story".

Again, showing humility over one's accomplishments is just basic etiquette in Japanese culture.
Old 2017-12-06, 09:15   Link #55
zztop

Quote:
I wouldn't mind if they tanked the job. For all of this show's flaws, it'll probably be the first to introduce the asshole, hypocritical hero trope that's been pervasive of the isekai genre.

This won't be worse than smartphone. But it'll be a different kind of offensive than Knight's & Magic.
I don't recall Knights and Magic being particularly offensive.
The MC was more an obsessive mad inventor type; but not assholey or unpleasant in any way I could remember.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-13, 14:50   Link #56
Ultragunner

at least there are mechs in K&M , and smartphone ain’t trying to be edgy
Old 2017-12-13, 15:58   Link #57
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
at least there are mechs in K&M , and smartphone ain’t trying to be edgy
Smartphone has the same clichés and doutei protagonist as every harem-rom-com ever, while in K&M it's more like a shounen battle manga, because K&M has a mecha-otaku protagonist and Arifureta diverges from the norm entirely with a chuuni/otaku/edge protagonist.

The chuuni/otaku/edge protagonist... I can't recall any other such combination in any other anime.
Old 2017-12-13, 17:37   Link #58
borisdrakoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
The chuuni/otaku/edge protagonist... I can't recall any other such combination in any other anime.
How about Akito Tenkawa from the Nadesico - Prince of Darkness movie? Giant robot anime otaku turned super edgy vengeance seeker with chuuni outfit to match. I love that series. Of course, there's also the main characters from trippy series like Chaos;Head and Welcome to the NHK.

Well, it will be interesting to see how the Arifureta anime handles the combination of comedic elements along with the occasional dark undertones.
borisdrakoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 17:16   Link #59
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
I don't recall Knights and Magic being particularly offensive.
The MC was more an obsessive mad inventor type; but not assholey or unpleasant in any way I could remember.
It wasn't the main character so much as how the entire fantasy world was obviously tailor made to allow him to thrive by capitalizing on his strengths and none of his weaknesses. In that sense, it was less a "world" and more a fantasy.
Old 2017-12-17, 07:58   Link #60
zztop

Quote:
It wasn't the main character so much as how the entire fantasy world was obviously tailor made to allow him to thrive by capitalizing on his strengths and none of his weaknesses. In that sense, it was less a "world" and more a fantasy.
Majority of isekai style novels tend to fall into that wish fulfillment category.
In Knights' defense, I think it's one of the few isekai novel that serves as wish fulfillment for mecha/gunpla lovers without having to resort to the usual harem/hentai/ecchi/edgy themes prevalent in most webnovels.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote