AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-10-05, 06:09   Link #61
Dahak86
Classics never age

just happened to find this (dunno if it's reliable) =>
Spoiler:
someone can translate it?
Old 2010-10-05, 06:13   Link #62
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Spoiler:
Waaaaay too small. Most japanese is completely illegible. We'd need a bigger version of that.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 06:35   Link #63
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Waaaaay too small. Most japanese is completely illegible. We'd need a bigger version of that.
Bigger version here.
Old 2010-10-05, 06:40   Link #64
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Bigger version here.
Link gives an error, but copy-pasting the URL direct gets the image. For the sake of simplicity, here's the chart.
Spoiler for size:
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 06:53   Link #65
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Relationship Charts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthechamp View Post
Major dissappointments for me.
1. Its 100% overrated, coming from such a good-selling vn.
2. To me, Kirino is just another plain cutie-tsundere act with a weird hobby, this doesnt make her stand out at all.
3. Her bro was much more interesting, and i found myself to say "What the ...." with him throughout the entire first episode.
Production quality wise - normal, coming from AIC. I have seen better from Campanella episode 1.

Well, the original Light Novel is told from the Kyosuke's point of view. The manga changed it to more of a third person POV with the original writer's approval and added more detail that were endorse by the original writer.

Kirino is more complex than you given her credit for, she also has two legit side of her that are so far way from each other that the only character I can draw a comparison is Nogizaka Haruka but Kirino is levels ahead compare to Haruka just entering level one of Otaku world.

But the point of the series is really about Kyosuke repairing his relationship with Kirino and discover why they draft apart in first place.

All the while diving into the world of hardcore otaku and anime/manga/games fandom that Nogizaka series didn't and can't really dive into.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2010-10-05 at 08:39.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 08:06   Link #66
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

@Undertaker

*throws a rock*
Chill, man. First, read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(As a general reminder to the thread: any story comparisons made to the novels or manga must be in properly-labeled spoiler tags. And you may not spoil any future events, even behind spoiler tags. Please consult the Spoiler Policy for more information.)
Not that a relationship chart of characters that haven't even made a proper appearance should be posted here anyways though...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 08:15   Link #67
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Not that a relationship chart of characters that haven't even made a proper appearance should be posted here anyways though...
Yeah i was thinking that. It's easily classed as spoiler material.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:18   Link #68
Francismeunier
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah i was thinking that. It's easily classed as spoiler material.
Did not spoil anything to me...on the contrary I got excited to see how it will all be shown......is it technically possible they do a half volume per episode?

What did this episode cover again?
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 08:27   Link #69
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
Did not spoil anything to me...on the contrary I got excited to see how it will all be shown......is it technically possible they do a half volume per episode?

What did this episode cover again?
It does spoil stuff, but oh well.

Ep 1 seems to cover the first chapter of novel #1, which is ~80 pages out of 270.

Edit: Actually, with the credits bit, I suppose it covers 100 pages.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:31   Link #70
Francismeunier
Banned

Question

Quote:
It does spoil stuff, but oh well.

Ep 1 seems to cover the first chapter of novel #1, which is ~80 pages out of 270.

Edit: Actually, with the credits bit, I suppose it covers 100 pages.
They are not going to get passed volume 4 at this rate will they?
Francismeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 08:32   Link #71
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francismeunier View Post
They are not going to get passed volume 4 at this rate will they?
No idea. I gave up on the series after reading the first book, because I was so disgusted. Maybe later volumes can be covered quicker.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:36   Link #72
Undertaker

@serenade_beta & Shiroth

I didn't think too much of it either, Japanese drama tends to have these types of relationship charts out before the drama actually airs as well and i'm just answering a question asked.

Besides, I didn't dive into any specific events or plots involves the characters.....

But if that does violates the spoiler rule feel free to ask the mods to delete it, at mean time, I add the spoiler tag for the hell of it.

Quote:
No idea. I gave up on the series after reading the first book, because I was so disgusted. Maybe later volumes can be covered quicker.
May I ask what make you disgusted in 1st volume? because personally I thought the end of 1st volume was fairly touching and wholesome. On the other hand, second part of volume 4 and entire 5 was pretty messed up, though they were incredibly funny...

Last edited by Undertaker; 2010-10-05 at 08:47.
Old 2010-10-05, 09:10   Link #73
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
May I ask what make you disgusted in 1st volume? because personally I thought the end of 1st volume was fairly touching and wholesome. On the other hand, second part of volume 4 and entire 5 was pretty messed up, though they were incredibly funny...
This is going to be a weak excuse, but I don't really remember. I seem to have brain damage that makes me forget anything I've read/watched inside of a month or so, and after that I only recollect general impressions. Right after I finished the book I was furious and raged a bunch at my poor friends, but those details are no longer in my head.

It's something like ... well, everything. First of all it's pretty second rate, writing-wise; jokes aren't that funny, the characters are all unlikeable, plot is meh. I can forgive that, usually. The biggest problem is the idea behind the work. The author is trying to rewrite universal values and common sense to fit his little fantasy of what the world should be like, and it's disgusting to me. It's an apologetic, otaku-pandering, thinly veiled incestuous shitfest.

Unfortunately I picked it up right after finishing Nisemonogatari (by Nishio Ishin), which has a lot of similarities, but executed by a genius. Comparing them is just painful on Oreimo's behalf.
Old 2010-10-05, 09:23   Link #74
Zexas

Quote:

I have to agree with this. I found nothing wrong with vol 1. In fact I love most of the jokes in oreimo
Zexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 09:28   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ugh. Too much borderline spoilers in here.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 10:52   Link #76
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Don't know about the LN but with the manga I kinda fail to see where this series is meant to lead or what the main theme is supposed to be.
Is it about girl otakus? Bro-/siscons? Simple highschool romance? I don't get it. One might say all those together but then I feel it doesn't blend well together here and whatever is supposed to be the main theme is not emphasised enough.
It's more like the series tries to pick up some popular themes and mesh them together with some vague, meaningless story.

Anyway it's not as bad as i make it seem to be, the series is solid, I just miss a clear common thread that leads the plot.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 11:15   Link #77
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Don't know about the LN but with the manga I kinda fail to see where this series is meant to lead or what the main theme is supposed to be.
Is it about girl otakus? Bro-/siscons? Simple highschool romance? I don't get it. One might say all those together but then I feel it doesn't blend well together here and whatever is supposed to be the main theme is not emphasised enough.
It's more like the series tries to pick up some popular themes and mesh them together with some vague, meaningless story.

Anyway it's not as bad as i make it seem to be, the series is solid, I just miss a clear common thread that leads the plot.
My take on it is it's simply about a brother and sister bettering their sibling relationship with bits of other stuff thrown in.
That may sound boring but it's a rather simply plot that I think works very well.
Don't think theres a need to try and define/label it as say Girl otakus or bro/sis-con anime or whatever.
I thought it was gonna be about Bro/sis-con story but that wasn't quite the case and thats what surprised me and actually made me love this series even more.
Old 2010-10-05, 17:59   Link #78
Kaguya
an idler

Kuroneko is twittering about Kirino after ten years.
It is a very short novel by Tsukasa Fushimi of such a heart-warming story.
Spoiler for a long image:
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 21:31   Link #79
Undertaker

Quote:
This is going to be a weak excuse, but I don't really remember. I seem to have brain damage that makes me forget anything I've read/watched inside of a month or so, and after that I only recollect general impressions. Right after I finished the book I was furious and raged a bunch at my poor friends, but those details are no longer in my head.

It's something like ... well, everything. First of all it's pretty second rate, writing-wise; jokes aren't that funny, the characters are all unlikeable, plot is meh. I can forgive that, usually. The biggest problem is the idea behind the work. The author is trying to rewrite universal values and common sense to fit his little fantasy of what the world should be like, and it's disgusting to me. It's an apologetic, otaku-pandering, thinly veiled incestuous shitfest.

Unfortunately I picked it up right after finishing Nisemonogatari (by Nishio Ishin), which has a lot of similarities, but executed by a genius. Comparing them is just painful on Oreimo's behalf.

I'm going to assume you are not too involve in the Eroge and Dojin area of the Anime/Manga/Game world. if that's the case, this series'attractiveness will be reduced substantially.

A lot of jokes are enhance by the knowledge in those area. For example, the scene where Kyosuke picked "kick the sister out of bed", The real punchline was actually Kirino's remark that she didn't know event that occurs afterward because anyone who bought and played that game will never pick that response even those most people who purchase thoe games have tendency of trying to unlock every events in the said game and Kirino is no exception.

Not to mention most of the joke structure leans heavily on traditional Manzei structure in which Kyosuke is the "tsukkomi" while everyone else is "boke". It actually a tough way of writing and I thought the author did a really good job with the format and that attribute to the series' popularities.

I personally didn't think it was a stretch of reality. It still portraits Eroge/Dojin fandom as an isolated group that most people still puts up a front to hide, even in front of a normal anime/manga fans. Both KuroNeko and Shiori are different types of hardcore Otaku and were isolated in their own way and in the end, other than Kirino's Otaku Friends and Kyosuke, other people who knew Kirino is a Otaku still don't know the fact that she is in it the hardcore way.

As for incest, other then the games that were disscussed and hints that Kirino might have brother complex, there isn't anything to suggest actual incest might take place. Since the series is written from Kyosuke's POV, its obvious we know he didn't think of his sister in that way. Most of Kyosuke's perverted comment [in his head] were direct to other female characters.

As for Kirino, I consider her potential brother complex to be one of the series' main plot. The series in addition to parody and showcase the hardcore side of Otaku, it is really about Kyosuke slowly repairing the relationship between him and Kirino, In addition, The books seem to lead toward Kyosuke's eventuality of finding out that Kirino did not dislike him as he first thought and finding out why the sibling drift apart in the first place. I mean, numerous time Kyosuke remarked that they were not like this when they were little, yet he can't pinpoint the event that cause the drift.

As for Nisemonogatari [and Monogatari series in general], I agree that Nishio Ishin [love his works] is a genius at playing with words but at same time their secondary plots was so different you can't really compare the two together. As good as Nishio Ishin's ability at playing words and creating sharp-tongue characters. One of his knocks has always been that the overall structures of his works tends to be a mess, and that his punchlines and comedic times tend to be awkward and does not integrate into the plot very well. You take the jokes out of his work, there is no impact to the tune not the plot of the book or vice versa.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2010-10-05 at 21:52.
Old 2010-10-06, 00:39   Link #80
Falkor

Quote:
I personally didn't think it was a stretch of reality.
actually, I think that Kirino herself may be a stretch of reality that can challenge the suspension of disbelief of some people. To put it bluntly, she is a female otaku with "male taste", who plays 18+ eroge and is into imouto type of characters---simply because she finds them cute (this, from what I gather so far of the translated light novel; I don't know if there's a much deeper meaning behind her hobbies). her character doesn't exactly sound like someone you would expect to really exist; perhaps, I would have more readily accepted her character (or hobbies) had she turned out to be a fujoshi or a less "hardcore" otaku, who isn't necessarily into imouto type of characters. That's why, I think that the enjoyment of this work depends on how willing you are to accept Kirino as a character, or the situation her older brother currently faces as she tries to share her secret hobbies with him.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings