AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 72 27.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 23.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 52 19.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 37 14.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 6.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.82%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.44%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.76%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.76%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-07, 06:37   Link #81
Mokoko
Young Aspergus Eater

I know that feeling...
At the end of the anime, I can't tell how I felt... It was so sad but I felt also an heartwarming at the very end (after the credits)...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2013-01-25, 19:54   Link #82
lakelandotakus

Post Personal Oppinion of Angel Beats

I personally believe that this show was at the top of its game in all of its aspects. From setting to character development to overall storyline progression. I just wish for it to continue!
Old 2013-01-27, 04:04   Link #83
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Upon some further thoughts, I actually think this anime looks better in retrospect because as I was watching, I actually did enjoy most of it sans the last 2 episodes. It's sorta funny. Maybe it's because Little Busters makes this series's comedy look good, I don't know. Though it has put some thoughts in retrospect. This might be because my opinion of Key has changed a lot over the years and I don't hold the other Key works in high of a regard anymore. So AB's ending was poop. It still is. But then again, Key failing at making coherent endings is as common as the sun rising.

So sure. The drama is overwrought and a failure. This much is true. But this is considering that the series was trying to be that in the first place. I have to say, the series was pretty damned good at timing its comedic gags, and reusing them at appropriate parts (rocket chairs, for example). The bromance with Otonashi and Hinata is actually one of the most unsung positives about the series. And really, high school comedy antics are the most overdone thing in anime, but the fact that I was actually laughing at it did actually show something.

I guess one of the things that I missed was that Angel Beats was full of "mundane awesome". There's gotta be something memorable as Yuri engaging as some retarded shit like everyone conspiring to get Kanade to fail a test. I mean really? In the end, Yuri really seems to come off as some kind of insane dictator coming off with some nonsensical cartoon scheme. And that does seem to always happen in a PA works show. And although Kanade has actually faded from memory, I would say Yuri, despite being a Haruhi imitator actually got off her role really well.

In the end, while it is true that if you want to view Angel Beats as a romance where a guy meets a lonely girl and he tries to get her to form an identity and move on with her life, it's quite a failure. But then if you want to view a Key anime as a dramatic storyline that stays consistent with its theme, you're always going to see failure. In the end, Angel Beats is actually as Key as it gets; the plot is just a contrivance to get the cast to live an experience that the audience can enjoy along with them. Whatever they end up going doesn't matter, it's about the present that matters, aka the journey. It's too bad it didn't get the refining that the long development process of a VN could get, but honestly, it had its place.

I'm going to rerate this anime to a 7/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-01-31, 17:47   Link #84
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I have to say, the series was pretty damned good at timing its comedic gags, and reusing them at appropriate parts (rocket chairs, for example).
I watched this series twice - once on my own, and then a second time through with my wife. I remember smiling at the rocket chairs, but didn't think they were that funny. They were even less funny the second time through, when I knew to expect them. But boy, my wife lost it when that part came up. She laughed so hard that she was in tears. If I bring it up at random she still laughs at the memory of it. Well done, Key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
In the end, while it is true that if you want to view Angel Beats as a romance where a guy meets a lonely girl and he tries to get her to form an identity and move on with her life, it's quite a failure.
I think that a large part of what made Angel Beats intriguing wasn't so much the character development and interaction (which was good, but not really unique), but the setting. Here you have a group of people who are basically going through the same routine for eternity, knowing that they're no longer living but not knowing what's next. Trying to make Kanade fail an exam may have seemed silly, but you figure that they've probably tried hundreds, if not thousands of things before this. They're trying something new, to see if they can create a different outcome.

Haven't all of us who have played video games done that? I remember when I was younger, it wasn't enough to get to the ending of a game - I wanted to discover every little secret, every little glitch, and just try do to things that probably weren't even designed to be possible. In a way, I figured that was what the characters in Angel Beats were doing, too. I really liked that premise, and in a way it also made the ending even more endearing.
Old 2013-02-01, 21:58   Link #85
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I think that a large part of what made Angel Beats intriguing wasn't so much the character development and interaction (which was good, but not really unique), but the setting. Here you have a group of people who are basically going through the same routine for eternity, knowing that they're no longer living but not knowing what's next. Trying to make Kanade fail an exam may have seemed silly, but you figure that they've probably tried hundreds, if not thousands of things before this. They're trying something new, to see if they can create a different outcome.

Haven't all of us who have played video games done that? I remember when I was younger, it wasn't enough to get to the ending of a game - I wanted to discover every little secret, every little glitch, and just try do to things that probably weren't even designed to be possible. In a way, I figured that was what the characters in Angel Beats were doing, too. I really liked that premise, and in a way it also made the ending even more endearing.
But I feel that's the problem. Angel Beats looks fine on paper. It looks great on paper. But ultimately we really just have a good premise and setting that never gets adequately explored and we just get a lot of what could have been. Though, this about is the very story of PA Works. I certainly respect these things, but ultimately it's just lacking in the end because it lacks the final punch.

And as for the video game analogy. Well, I would say a big part of video games is the payoff for completing parts of it. And that is where AB falters the most.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-01, 23:15   Link #86
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

Angel Beats! What a funny little anime this was. I remember watching it and liking it, but then again I read some reviews which bring fairly good point about the thing and maybe is not as good as I consider it. It sure didn’t deserve the 10 I give to it but it doesn’t deserve 2 and 4 I have seen some people give it. I know what a 2 grade anime is and Angel Beats! While not perfect is sure as hell better than that.

Again I am to blame since while I didn’t get a lot of story or characters from Angel Beats! I was never bored by it. I am not a fan of high school anime and to be fair is hard to find any anime in modern days where the protagonist is not on an institute or something like that. I always found the setting just boring. Which is not the case here. While not original, smart of incredible Angel Beats! Knows how to have fun, which seems to be a problem with other series and there is when it gains me. Again, I like the series because it always shows me something and I can’t really compare the story to other animes people compare it because I never saw those.

Now what I consider good about it: the characters, the setting, the comedy and the animation. The characters are just so much fun that I like them all, even if some are just shallow or not develop whatsoever. They are a ton of fun to watch and just seeing this many different characterizations working together is what makes them more dynamic to me. The setting in the afterlife videogame is weird and not well thought out but at least tries to do something with its own elements. Even if it comes down to basic high school drama.

The comedy is all over the place but I like it maybe because is just… different from what I see in anime most times. I mean not because the jokes are any new but because the way they do this is not the “anime way” if you not what I mean. I did like the comedy even if it’s just because change something I already consider not funny in to something I could laugh with (To me anime comedy is mediocre at best and always kicks in the worst of times). Of course the animation is nice and I like the eyes of the characters, really something colorful to look at.

Now the bad: poor explanations to what the hell is going on, plot twist that really went nowhere, fake drama for the win and overall a lack of focus or clear goal. Yes I will be lying if I say the drama didn’t get me but is also so easy to remember “they are dead, will be fine in a while” which of course adds a really sense of “Who the hell cares?” when something bad happens to the characters. Also is amazing how we are never told so many things and the story feel like it could use a little more running time because it was trying to please everyone and suffer for lack of development.

Now that alone doesn’t make it a bad series. I think Angel Beats! Is very good and an enjoyable experience even with all the mess. At least I know who the people on it are, I know why they don’t die and in the end it does give a sense of fun, adventure and happiness. I mean, we almost cry by the end which didn’t make much sense but was kind enough to tell me why I should give a crap. (Unlike other series I know… I am looking at you ViVid/Force) So while not giving it a 10 it sure deserves an 8 and I can recommend it to almost anyone, just don’t expect story and have a good time.
Old 2013-04-06, 11:29   Link #87
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

I just finished watching Angel Beats! and I can't stop myself liking it. The ending was the part I like most. Otonashi-kun show the respectable character until the end. He died helping others when he was alive and still helping others in after life. I was speechless when he got his memories back. That episode alone can stand out as slide of life story.

I don't like Suzumiya Haruhi but I like Yuripee. The character design is quite similar. Angel Beats has some crazy ideas like Operation Tornado that snatch the meal tickets from NPCs by blowing them at the conert with huge fans.

I watched the Angel Beats over two days time. The time is well spent and satisfied with the plot and characters. Aniplex did the animation very well, lights and colors are maintained very well throughout the whole series. I have seen many animes which are only spend budget on animation only in first and last episodes. Angel Beats! is not one of them.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Old 2013-05-16, 05:35   Link #88
Crassa
Streamline

Angel Beats was awesome, I finished watching it yesterday and to be honest I thought it was going to be a really sad anime after reading what people says at youtube, but I actually had more laughs since some of the jokes are really funny and repetitive but only in a span of one episodes mostly(so it doesn't get too boring). What I enjoy the most was when Yuri interviewed Kanade and Naoi(the guy with the hat) was covering for Yuzuru's plan all the time and Naoi was throwing all sorts of random excuses which the most funniest was when he said Angel stabs him every morning when she's mad, and Hinata was saying "baka" . That really got me and it's been sometime since an Anime made me laugh like a pig burned alive.

Another gut feeling review by me, ofcourse its a 10/10 for me since I suck at reviewing and give the highest praise to the anime I love. Cheers!

Last edited by Crassa; 2013-05-16 at 23:14.
Old 2014-12-18, 00:15   Link #89
Darkest Light
Darkest Light

This Anime is one of the show that totally make me cry at the ending of the story...and make me laugh.Well...it is a great anime ever
Old 2015-02-04, 03:43   Link #90
shoyo

rated it 8/10

i liked the ending, it's too short but they still managed to somehow make most of the characters not-so forgettable.. i liked otonashi's sad past, that's one a real tear jerker.. i also really liked the opening song metal version by YUI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest Light View Post
This Anime is one of the show that totally make me cry at the ending of the story...and make me laugh.Well...it is a great anime ever
off topic: i suggest u try clannad + clannad after story as well
Old 2015-02-04, 23:13   Link #91
PaperCinnamon

Loved this anime!!

This anime was one of the best animes I have ever watched. The animation was spontaneous ( I would rate a 9-10 ). It allowed you to actually feel like you were a character in the show. It was enjoyable and realistic. Not taking place in the world we live in and giving each character their own backstory and personality. It had extremely sad moments and others were hilarious.
Old 2015-02-05, 00:29   Link #92
shoyo

this is also one of KEY's VN, right?