AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-09-25, 16:33   Link #3461
TZoli

Started drawing her and the usage of parts of the Andromeda makes it easier to do so.
Still I found these changes so far:

The Arizona is a bit longer (around 10-20 meters or a little bit more)

Her AA armament (Quad or Twin?) is of a larger calibre either 127mm or 152mm (I will stay
with 127 as that was the standard WW2 USN DP-AA Armament)

What I've used on the Andromeda for the Shield Generator and pitch thruster module, the same one is larger on the Arizona having 2x4 thrusters and a longer module meaning a possible stronger shield generator was installed.

The breaking thrusters which was on the Andromeda on the shield generators were removed and instead 4 slightly smaller boxy pods were put on the nose section of the ship I assume these are the same thrusters.

Fewer Tachyon Particle intakes are located on the hull.

The Wave Motion Gun Power regulator units are slightly different then of the Andromeda.

While Andromeda have 4 triple shock cannons, 4 twin gun mounts and 2 casemate bulges each with 4 guns, Arizona only have 5 triple shock cannons. Overall firepower the Andromeda is stronger Arizona have better arcs for her shock cannons so the difference in firepower is not that great. At closer range Andromeda can do the pounding while at long range Arizona is a bit better.
TZoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 19:16   Link #3462
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The range issue probably came up during the war with the Comet Empire and later Dark Nebula Empire. Their smaller ships thend to come in large numbers but have low range weaponry (though large numbers of guns) compared to the Earth shock cannons, and tend to explode with one or two hits at range from Earth shock cannons. While the Comet Empire would bring a number of battleships, they too would be destroyed by long range shock cannon fire. The Dark Nebula cruisers are over sized but they and their capital ships come in small numbers. Sometimes only a flagship, which is generally immune to shock cannon fire (though probably vulnerable to shell fire from Earth guns).
Old 2015-09-26, 15:59   Link #3463
TZoli

Now like the Andromeda, Arizona too have some interesting features on it's hull, most notable the long bulge parallel with the wave motion gun. Any ideas what could this be? It is too narrow to be a forward launch bay for fighters.
Old 2015-09-26, 17:44   Link #3464
skaianDestiny

Are you talking about the bow bulge? For the 2199 version of Yamato it was a sensor array.
skaianDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-26, 22:39   Link #3465
GundamFan0083

I concur with skaianDestiny, they appear to be sensor arrays.
The garage kit does not have the blisters on the port and starboard sides of the bow, nor the one on the ventral side. It also has a different weapons array. Not sure if this model is official or not, but it may help in creating a variant (perhaps a mass-production model? ).

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/gk6/
Old 2015-09-27, 01:42   Link #3466
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sonar arrays maybe. They had experience with subspace submarines during the Comet War and with Yamato 2199 added into the mix, dimensional submarines as well. Might as well include countermeasures. One of the new officers in Yamato 3 had taken a class on Anti-submarine warfare theory starting sometime after Yamato got back from Iscandar.
Old 2015-09-27, 02:45   Link #3467
TZoli

Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. The small blister thing on the bottom is sure radar or sonar, but I'm talking about the entire hull section parallel with the wave motion cannon.
As for the model I think that is not official as from this screenshot you can clearly see the side triple turrets:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

3D models:
http://www.oocities.org/edf_shipyards/edfmodels.htm
Old 2015-09-27, 15:08   Link #3468
TZoli

Various artist impressions on the Arizona:
Images

Last edited by TZoli; 2015-09-27 at 15:38.
Old 2015-09-27, 22:14   Link #3469
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZoli View Post
Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. The small blister thing on the bottom is sure radar or sonar, but I'm talking about the entire hull section parallel with the wave motion cannon.
As for the model I think that is not official as from this screenshot you can clearly see the side triple turrets:
Images

3D models:
http://www.oocities.org/edf_shipyards/edfmodels.htm
That houses the main RADAR, torpedo magazine, and storage for the ship if Arizona is similar to Yamato (which I imagine it would be).

Old 2015-09-28, 13:36   Link #3470
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Andromeda has a similar bulge parallel to her wave motion guns. The only difference with her is that she has a wing coming out of part of it. The other Earth battleships of the era don't have that, but the Andromeda and Arizona do. Maybe it is a protective blister for the wave motion gun chamber. One more layer of defense for the ship's final weapon. Or maybe it is a energy shunt to redirect the power of the wave motion gun. In case of overload, or maybe to use it in case they want to turn while using the thrust of the wave motion gun to rapidly go in reverse (that sounds like a horrible idea).

It might just be a pair of maintenance bays.
Old 2015-09-28, 14:32   Link #3471
TZoli

You guys still not think what I'm asking...
This:

Images
Old 2015-09-28, 15:52   Link #3472
GundamFan0083

Yep, that is the section I was talking about with the data-sheet I posted. Here is another one that shows it from the front on Yamato.

It is the main RADAR dome, torpedo bay, torpedo storage, and cargo storage area for the ship.

The equivalent on the Andromeda is on the top of the ship (between the two wave motion guns).

Wish I had a bigger pic for the cutaway of Andromeda, but here is the biggest one I could find.

But even in that view you can see the pair of torpedo tubes, the forward RADAR sensor, and the magazine for the torpedoes.
Old 2015-09-28, 16:40   Link #3473
TZoli

I've found a larger version which is actually the same image upsized so bad quality but it shows a bit more:

Casemated shock cannons on the side can be seen, but I don't see space for Hanger.
Old 2015-09-28, 21:10   Link #3474
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Imagine Andromeda and Arizona having rotory bays around the wave motion engine like Yamato. Or imagine the ship larger to fit some squadrons of fighters.

The alternative is that they don't carry much and that is why the Earth had built Battlecarriers to give the fleet some fighter wings.
Old 2015-09-29, 05:51   Link #3475
TZoli

Like some modellers I was correct as well that the openings on the side blister (my idea for shield generator) are actually for thrusters. The energy coming from the central reactor (2nd Wave Motion Reactor?) are separated from around there.
Old 2015-09-29, 15:28   Link #3476
TZoli

From the Starship Schematics Database Site:
http://www.shipschematics.net/index.php

This is sad
(In the FAQ section)

Quote:
Q. I've got a design I would like to submit. Can I send it to you?
A. Not any more. From this time forward, I will not be accepting any new fan-submitted designs. It has been a long haul, and there are too many other things that have occupied my life in recent years for me to effectively maintain this site. Not the least of which the fact that three of the four genres I support on this site are now effectively dead. Only Battlestar Galactica and her ragtag fleet survives in her new incarnation. I may add a few official Battlestar-related designs down the road, but I must soon move on. Of course, the site will remain alive as long as I can afford it, but that shall be the extent of my involvement for a VERY long time to come. I appreciate all the support and efforts given to me by the users of the SSDB.
And I did not even find an E-mail address
Old 2015-09-30, 09:37   Link #3477
TZoli

Yesterday evening before I finally went asleep I've thought about the Wave Motion engines and the intakes (Or radiators) of the EDF ships.

I think we have 3 eras or 2,5.
- The pre warp ships of the EDF too have these intakes (seems liek only the larger ships as the Isokaze lack these), but those are probably Hydrogen and Helium particle collectors for the Fusion Reactors.

- Yamato have an Iscandarian Wave Motion Core and a Wave Motion Engine whose construction was supervised (at least partly until her incident) by Yurisha so even if it's made by Humans it's quite advanced and thus does not require such intakes.

The Iscandarian Interstellar shuttle have these as well but they are facing aft so they are probably outtakes from excess energy production.

- The post-Yamato or new EDF ships have many of these particle intakes located on their hulls so I assume these use a less sophisticated wave motion core and engine and need additional Tachyon and Hydrogen/Helium Particles to power their Reactors. Which is quite logical if we think they reverse engineer the Iscandarian technology.

Except from the American artist designed ships of 2520, the later Earth ships like the Arcadia, Death Shadow or the Karyu have these intakes as well though much less in number meaning the technology was improved over time and reliance on the space particles become less extent.
Old 2015-09-30, 19:14   Link #3478
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is possible. Though it might be Yamato doesn't have as effective a reserve as later ships which is why they later ships have collectors. That might have been a reason they wanted to retire Yamato so soon after the new ships were at fleet levels.
Old 2015-10-01, 16:03   Link #3479
TZoli

Now I present the EDF Arizona:
Images
Old 2015-10-01, 18:44   Link #3480
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Awesome, I would love to see this in Yamato.
Kamijou Touma IB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato