Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-30, 20:28   Link #41
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
I was 5 years old and some chanel was aring Grave of the fire files that was my first contact with anime.
FIVE!?
Oh dear God, thank goodness it didn't scar or traumatize you....
Old 2012-04-30, 21:20   Link #42
Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
FIVE!?
well I had a bit if nightmare but hey thats 22 years ago so all forgotten >.<

Sorry for offtopic there just wanted to answer that.
Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 21:57   Link #43
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
FIVE!?
Could be worse. What if your first anime experience was Urotsukidōji or La Blue Girl?

Did anyone else start with manga first and then move to anime? I was a huge comic book fan as a child (early 80s), and I became interested in manga when I read Frank Miller's Ronin and the book The Encyclopedia of Super Heroes which had some sections on manga and tokusatsu heroes. Those led me to Frederik Schodt's Manga! Manga! which is the first time I was exposed to manga. However, at the time (mid 80s) there was no manga available in the US. I was aware of Robotech via the Comico comic book series, but had never seen the anime (it never aired in syndication where I lived). Of course, by this time I realized some of the cartoons I loved as a kid were anime (Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, Voltron), but there was also no anime readily available.

Translated manga started appearing around 87-89 (Lone Wolf and Cub, Area 88, Mai the Psychic Girl, and Akira were some of my favorites as I finished up high school). I was hooked on manga, but still hadn't seen any anime other than the earlier dubbed TV stuff. I joined the army after high school and spent most of my enlistment overseas, so I wasn't able to watch any anime until I came back stateside in 91. There was a mom and pop video store I used to frequent, and they had some of the early commercial VHS anime releases. The U.S. Renditions release of Gunbuster is what got me hooked. I remember renting Gunbuster and Dangaioh at the same time, and watching Dangaioh first. It was so bad I almost gave up, glad I went ahead and watched Gunbuster because it blew me away and made me a fan. In 92 I started college, discovered Usenet and mailing lists, and started trading fansubs.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 22:44   Link #44
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmm, I first discovered anime while it aired on Toonami. Then when it also aired on Saturdays on Adult Swim. My first anime that I looked up online though when I was 12 was Higurashi. Then the second anime I looked up was Shakugan no Shana.

Then it just keeps going down the list to every single anime

Concerning the topic of Grave of the fire files. I was intending on watching that soon. Is there a horror experience to it?
Old 2012-04-30, 23:02   Link #45
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Concerning the topic of Grave of the fire files. I was intending on watching that soon. Is there a horror experience to it?
No, it is not horror. Just deeply depressing.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 23:03   Link #46
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I figured, the name itself tells a little about it. Well, I'll just have to see for myself then.. Chiibi's comment made me think it was horror for a minute.
Old 2012-04-30, 23:47   Link #47
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Could be worse. What if your first anime experience was Urotsukidōji or La Blue Girl?
*screams at TurkeyPotPie*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Funnily enough, that first one was my first hentai. I was sixteen. And....not ready for that stuff. XD

Quote:
Chiibi's comment made me think it was horror for a minute.
Not horror, no but horrific things do happen in it. It's basically....really harsh, cruel reality without a lick of sugar coating. It easily wins the "Anime That is Most True To Real Life" Golden Award.

Spoiler for Example scene that would likely scar a young child:

And that's really just one scene out of several that are...upsetting to watch. The ending is the REAL "treat".
It's still one of the classics though...it's a very well-done film, even if it is depressing as crap.
Funny how the most depressing films end up being the most powerful ones, eh?

CHIRIN NO SUZU, ANYONE!? *shot*
Old 2012-04-30, 23:53   Link #48
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I see... I'll be preparing myself after school tomorrow... Thanks for a scenario of what it will feature Chiibi.
Old 2012-05-01, 00:01   Link #49
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I see... I'll be preparing myself after school tomorrow... Thanks for a scenario of what it will feature Chiibi.
No problem.

Yeah, I like to....warn people.... I'm really sensitive and squeamish myself so...

Though nobody gave me details before I watched Grave, but I learned what kind of movie it was: gritty and depressing so I had a vague idea of what I'd be in store for. I always heard others discuss it and the reactions were always the same...
Old 2012-05-01, 17:25   Link #50
Haikea

楽しいムーミン一家 Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka (eng. Moomin, fin. Muumilaakson tarinoita, swe. I Mumindalen)

That was my first (unaware) anime experience. I was like 9 years old. Story and characters are originally made by Tove and Lars Jansson (Finnish Swedish). Animation and music made in Japan. Opening and ending theme music were replaced at least in Finland and Sweden with their own versions. Japanese OP/ED versions look and sound a bit funny after all these years. For many years I thought that these Moomin series were 100% made in Finland. Probably there are many Finns which still think that way.

Actually I dare to say that Moomin is a bit like Clannad even though main characters are not humans but a bit like walking hippos. It values love, family and friendship. There is no money in moomin world and it is like an isolated valley. I recommend to watch it even though it is aimed a bit more for children than adults.
Old 2012-05-02, 23:45   Link #51
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

For me, it break down into 4 parts.

1. Watching assorted anime at afternoon back in 1990s when I'm in Hong Kong. I ended up watching cartoons instead from 1994-1997 because Canada have no access to anime.

2. Pokemon era in 1998. But to be honest, it's Digimon that made me look anime further. Except I kind of give it up after Digion Adventure 02 ended just because of online games like Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

3. Should be around 2002 when I don't like online gaming anymore. I think it's Gaogaigar FINAL (VCD format), Love Hina and Sister Princess? I don't know what is fanservice at this point.

4. More active than usual due to Shakugan no Shana, Mahou Shoujo Lynical Nanoha, Rozen Maiden and fansubs.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 23:56   Link #52
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Like so many others, Pokemon and Digimon did it for me... in fact, I remember waking up early to see what cartoons were on, and tuning to Kids' WB, the first episode of Pokemon! There was also Cardcaptors, and pretty much any kiddy anime that ran Saturday mornings on Kids' WB in the late 90's/early 00's (there was also the occasional show on Fox Kids')

After that, again like so many others, I found Toonami with Sailor Moon and DBZ, and was semi-aware of the late-night stuff; due to having an early bedtime at an early age, and not knowing about recording, I never saw any Gundam, Trigun, etc. Actually, I specifically got into Rave Master due to wanted to see Megas XLR, and Rave was on just before, and so I got hooked

Still, I didn't know any of this was called anime... it would take until my high school years and certain friends before I knew about the real world of anime. A classmate brought in an episode of Trigun for a show-and-tell type thing, and that's when i think I learned it was actually called anime... then through some online forum stuff, I met a friend who was able to recommend action-packed anime, and of course at this point youtube didn't completely suck. But what probably cemented me into anime was an old shirt of mine; at a meeting for my other big hobby, I was asked if that shirt was of anime (it was a dragon with Chinese characters surrounding it, and no relation at all to anime)... I was given a business card, and eventually, was able to make it to the local anime club in the area. During high school I could only go a couple times; once I got into college (about six years ago), it really took off, and I have my love of anime today.

Actually, there's a lot of old stuff that I haven't seen, and on one hand, I'm grateful; I understand that right around the time I got into anime, there were tons of sad endings that year (I think it was 07)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 18:57   Link #53
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
WGN TV in Chicago, maybe 630 AM (before school, anyway) watching dubbed Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) with my older sister.
Me too... except I don't have an older sister, and it was Seattle instead of Chicago.

But the anime was the same. Same time too.. until they moved it to 2:30 am mid season...

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 23:12   Link #54
Zyan

Started watching Kerokko Demetan, Haha o Tazunete Sanzenri (3000 Leagues in Search of Mother) and Pinocchio back in the 70s but not really that into anime then. Candy Candy was shown but I was not interested.

It was not until Captain Future was shown that I started to get into animes. But there was a huge gap in the 80s until Akira came. And Ghost in the Shell movie revived my interest further.
Zyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 12:12   Link #55
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

My first glimpse of anime, before I even knew what it was, happened when I watched a show called Thundersub back when I was a kid. I thought it looked cool, but never did I wonder where it came from.

A decade later, they aired Dragonball Z here. Though I loved it, again, I never really bothered to look into what it was and where it came from.

A few years later, Pokémon became all the rage. I've watched three seasons of it, then stopped. By then, I assumed that all anime was like that and refused to look for more.

It wasn't till till 2007 that all of that changed. Someone introduced me to Ojamajo Doremi, I got hooked on it, and that was the point where I decided I really ought to check up what other gems I could dig up. A short while later, I was an anime lover.
Old 2012-05-12, 19:01   Link #56
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

I was first exposed to anime when I was around 3 years old, and I still lived in Asia during that time. I was switching channels one day, and saw a show called Voltes V. I was captivated by it at first glance. Since then, every Sunday, I would go to that channel to watch other anime series as well like Time Travel Tondekeman, Ranma 1/2, and Go-Q-Choji Ikkiman. It turns out that the channel also have sentai series, and metal heroes which comes on after the anime episodes are over. =D
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:05   Link #57
Dreamer90
Lost in thought

My first anime experience was probably the oooooold swedish dub of Sailor Moon.. I liked to watch it sometimes because it was so different from the usual cartoons I were watching at the time. I didn't get into anime for real until I'd bought my first manga, Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh. From that point onward, I got really into anime and manga and the rest is history. xD

D3

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
-Ayn Rand

"We have plenty of youth. What we need is a fountain of smart."
-Unknown
Dreamer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:54   Link #58
Qilin
Romanticist

I happened to be confined to a hospital room one time, and I came across "Daa! Daa! Daa!" while browsing through the TV channels there, and it was love at first sight. Our cable operator at the time did not have that particular channel, so that was the incident that triggered everything.
Old 2012-05-13, 19:34   Link #59
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

My first experiences with anime were Triton of the sea, G-Force, Princess Knight, Shadar boy & Ogoun Bat to name a few animes shown on TV; of course back then I had no idea that this were made in japan (I think the term anime wasn't even coined at that time). Years later I rediscovered anime but I am not sure exactly when, the only thing I am sure is that it was before commerial VHS with anime titles were available in the USA.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 09:16   Link #60
zprime

When I first started Anime, they were on BETA tape..
I had Voltes V, Ikkyu-San (一休さん), and Candy Candy
T__T
BETA tape-,VHS tape, Laser Disc, VCD, DVD, BD, .....the media and quality of drawing sure have changed.
I am old QQ

Last edited by zprime; 2012-05-14 at 11:54. Reason: Going senile...Betamax with PAL signal...VHS with NTSC...well nevermind..I hope you got the idea...
zprime is offline   Reply With Quote