AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-08-15, 18:00   Link #1
TamaNeko

"Fansub" translations for Japanese video games?

I have this idea that I've been thinking for a while. Be warned, as it's a long rant.

There are hundreds of games from Japan that never make it to the U.S, some for good reason because they suck, but there are always those rare gems like certain games based on an anime and PC dating sims/visual novels that are great. Even if you did get a hold of these games and have a modded system, you couldn't really enjoy these games without understanding Japanese.

And so after watching too much anime with closed captioning on TV, I came up with this idea to make these games more accessible to everyone else. The best way I can explain my idea is through this pic here.

Video from any console is processed by a PC, where the software then processes the video and loads up a translated script of the game's text. Like closed-captioning, it will superimpose the translated text on the video at the right moment and output it to a TV or PC monitor.

With the already existing anime fansub community, they could work on just making the translated scripts, without any need to learn how to hack into the game, like with existing translated SNES roms and PC dating sims and visual novels.

There is also one example I've seen of something similar to this already available. The Quickcam Orbit, a webcam, has this neat feature that can recognize your face and superimpose a cartoon face instead, with the lips moving when you speak as well. You can see it in action here.

So, with the right equipment and skills, can this somehow work?

Last edited by TamaNeko; 2006-08-15 at 18:19.
TamaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 18:30   Link #2
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

if someone had the time its possible but.....

games have TONS and TONS of text. also games are fast paced and have different paths. so running a subtitle program over the output from your PSX is not efficient. and there really is no way for the subtitle progarm to tell what text the game is displaying.

also PSX games dont use the closed caption TV function. that is being run by your TV. the text in the game is more like a sprite or a flat picture layer.

stuff like this already sort of exists for PC games. i think its called oh! text hooker or something.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 18:52   Link #3
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Pic doesn't work~

There already exist translation programs like AGTH and OTH which extracts text from games and outputs it onto the clipboard. While it the translation is not the greatest, it is by far the best way for non Japanese players to experience eroge (save learning the language). For those who have a good grasp of the language, it serves as a great reference and learning tool.

Also, potatochobit has also made a good point on the biggest difference between visual novels and anime. The script contained within a novel can contain up to 80,000 lines of text. Even a joint effort between several translators will take months to complete a single novel. Compare that to the 200 lines of text per anime episode and you can clearly see the difference.

While your idea sounds neat, eroge fans is still a small minority outside of Japan. Out of all the members on this forum, I know only 10 people who play Japanese eroge~ ´∀`)
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 19:27   Link #4
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine
While your idea sounds neat, eroge fans is still a small minority outside of Japan. Out of all the members on this forum, I know only 10 people who play Japanese eroge~ ´∀`)
Maybe the rest just don't talk about it...

.. What?
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 23:48   Link #5
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Wow you are asking for something pretty hard...
One you are asking for the Video card to return data (aka the visual data) to the processor. Folding@Home has it almost down, though its not for a visual application, its for folding proteins.

Two the script will need to know where you are in the story based on that same visual data...

Frankly thats going to be hard, unless the computer would be able read the text and compare that to the script.

Alot of programing has to be going on there. And I pity the fool who would take up that undertaking.

I dont see that happening, no one would spend that much time trying to help people he doesnt know play a good game like that.

P.S. I forgot you will need a Video Capture card. Which adds another hurtle to the list.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki

Last edited by Kurz; 2006-08-16 at 01:33.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 18:43   Link #6
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Maybe the rest just don't talk about it...

.. What?
(゚∀゚)/ *delivers tsukommi*

Isn't it the "in" thing lately? Seems like more and more people are getting into the eroge scene ever since Shuffle! and Wind~ hmm, my imagination maybe.
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 19:37   Link #7
ImperialPanda

You won't be able to sync the translated text with the game.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 01:57   Link #8
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudnine
(゚∀゚)/ *delivers tsukommi*

Isn't it the "in" thing lately? Seems like more and more people are getting into the eroge scene ever since Shuffle! and Wind~ hmm, my imagination maybe.
I have no idea if it's the "in" thing.. My first encounter with an eroge came yearssss back, when I was 12. However, the first meaningful game I played was Crescendo I'd say that I've witnessed eroge coming on a slow but steady rise for some time, from Kanon to Tsukihime to now. They're gaining a small but relatively hardcore overseas fanbase.

I don't read Japanese (hiragana/katakana) but I can understand basic convo and read kanji well enough to get a relatively good grasp of the storyline. Plus, not alot of eroge stray far from stereotypical events, so my decades of experience with anime/manga fill in the blanks for me pretty damn well : > I'd still love to gain some real reading/listening skill for the language though. There are console games and other items I'd like to acquire.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 08:56   Link #9
lime_green
reborn ftw

Send a message via AIM to lime_green
i like the idea, and it's possable, but there is a big problem, unlike normal fansubs you would have to pay something for the equipment (not to mention the game).
lime_green is offline   Reply With Quote