Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-08, 03:35   Link #1
deadplayer
Banned

$69,696.00 USD for a virtual item

Source: Player Purchased a Virtual Egg for $69,696.00 USD

Quote:
Can you believe that? A virtual Egg can be sold for a stunning $69,696.00 USD. It just happened in Planet Calypso, a MMOG that used to announce the sale of a Space Station for $330,000. Sequence of the Egg sale is as follow:

Jon "NEVERDIE" Jacobs held a public auction Sunday, inside Planet Calypso, and sold the Virtual Egg to David Storey aka Deathifier. Deathifier owns "Treasure Island" in the game, a tax generating Virtual World Destination. NEVERDIE purchased the Virtual Egg for $10,000 USD in 2006 from a gamer who completed a unique quest. The Final Chapter in the Egg's History has yet to be written as thousands of players speculate what will actually hatch from the it and if it will be worth the extraordinary price tag.
$330,000 for a virtual Space Station! $69,696.00 for a virtual Egg! Are they insane?
deadplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 03:47   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Based on the game's description I suspect he may have done it with game money; which in this one has a direct 10 to 1 equivalent to USD.
Quote:
The real cash economy means that the internal Entropia Universe economy is linked to the real world economy, by using a currency called the Entropia Universe Dollar (PED), which has a fixed exchange rate linked to the US Dollar (10 PED entropiauals 1 USD).

As a participant, you use PED to acquire virtual land and entropiauipment in Entropia Universe, thereby investing in your avatar's (Participant representation in the virtual universe) growth and abilities. A unique aspect of Entropia Universe is that a player may elect to transfer PED back into real life currency, thereby enabling them to earn real money while participating in the online virtual universe of Entropia Universe.
Old 2010-02-08, 03:55   Link #3
Xion Valkyrie

I'm kind of amazed there are people rich enough to play this MMO that nobody has ever heard of. Okay, I've heard of the island sale before, but that was because of how ridiculous it sounded. I guess maybe rich people have their own set of MMOs that we plebeians can't even imagine.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 04:38   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Heh yeah, the people playing that probably wipe their arses with money.
Old 2010-02-08, 05:08   Link #5
problemedchild
ô_ô

I'm only surprised at the fact that this much money is being dumped into a relatively obscure game. I can easily imagine people spending massive amounts of money on RMT. Hell, several of my guild members in Lineage 2 dumped 3-6k USD into that game without any hesitation.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 05:25   Link #6
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

If someone is willing to pay 70k Bucks for something, its worth that much. Isnt it?
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 09:50   Link #7
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

After the Space Station , now the virtual egg lol
The producer make some business with the player .
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 13:04   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
If someone is willing to pay 70k Bucks for something, its worth that much. Isnt it?
it is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it.
Old 2010-02-08, 13:22   Link #9
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Is there only as much "money" in the game as people actually invest in it? Or can you earn money by doing things like say, selling materials you spend time "harvesting" from the in game world...

Because what happens if there's a "run" on the game? If that super rich player suddenly finds he needs some cash in the real world and converts all his money, that might spook other people and then the game company is in a world of hurt unless their TOS basically says that it's _NOT_ actually real money and they aren't responsible for paying it back.

And wait, if it's linked to real money, doesn't the game company basically need a banking license?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 13:26   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Is there only as much "money" in the game as people actually invest in it? Or can you earn money by doing things like say, selling materials you spend time "harvesting" from the in game world...
there are chinese company already doing that

Quote:
And wait, if it's linked to real money, doesn't the game company basically need a banking license?
it is no different then monopoly money
Old 2010-02-08, 13:32   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a game if you CAN'T make money in-game...

To the matter at hand, it's illegal to buy/sell game items for real money, it counts as a form of theft since they belong to the company/ies that made the game.

Quote:
Heh yeah, the people playing that probably wipe their arses with money.
Yeah, even for special cash shop money bargains that shit's way too expensive, 1:10 ratio and you need some hundred thousands!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 13:49   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's only illegal if they say it is, else many Korean free-to-play, pay-to-stay-competitive MMORPG models would fail. And really, it just violates VeRO and the only thing that can ever happen to you is to get your item or character pulled off of eBay.

And it's easy enough to get around the VeRO law; just sell your game discs along with the character. That's what I did when I gave up my WoW character back before WotLK came out. Sold my game discs for $700... which just so happen to come with an account containing several characters dripping in Tier 6 and BT/Hyjal piecemeal gear.

No different than selling a CD or console game to someone.
Old 2010-02-08, 14:23   Link #13
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Dunno what VeRO law is, I was talking about copyright infringement, and although it accounts for some very serious damage in cash shop sales thanks to the bagillion chinese bots that sell in-game money cheap in order to survive, companies do little to nothing about it and yet send lawsuits to anyone who opens up a private server

Anyway, to try and stay on topic, most extreme case of purchase I've heard of is some super rare enchanted artifact sold for 17k USD in WoW, never bothered confirming it though, must have been around a year and some months ago.
Old 2010-02-08, 22:53   Link #14
FateAnomaly

There are people rich enough that this sort of money is nothing to them. No point in thinking too much about it.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 03:53   Link #15
Vagrant0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
For the record, that the game has no such farming potential other than the islands. Everything from hunting to resource mining has a real money cost associated with it. Although world spawns do drop money and the rare item, every means of attack wears out the weapon which can only be repaired using real money, and items only sell for their remaining usage value. Although resources can be gathered from the world, they have 0 value when sold to NPC. The only real generation of money comes from owning an island, which cost quite a bit more for the initial payment than you would ever get from it. (consider it gambling). This is one of the reasons why the game has gone unnoticed for as long as it has, either you're dumping insane amounts of money to play it from day 1, or you don't do much else. Back in 2004 or something when I played it, the graphics also kinda sucked, which is the other reason why nobody cared.

But all of this is one reason why the economy there hasn't gone totally to crap, unlike Second Life which got taken over by the bots.
Vagrant0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 06:14   Link #16
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

The story is also on their homepage in a more readable way.

It seems they now have pretty good graphics.
He mortgaged his house? o_O
Where does an online gamer get $300.000 from? D: Maybe you can split the price with real money and ingame money.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 06:47   Link #17
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Maybe its a publicity stunt, seems to be working that way anyway.
Old 2010-02-09, 16:53   Link #18
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
He mortgaged his house? o_O
Where does an online gamer get $300.000 from? D:
Next time a bank gets robbed, you'll know who did it
Old 2010-02-09, 17:42   Link #19
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now this is a game I do not understand. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars for people who have in-game companies worth millions of dollars.

Is this a viable real world economy? It seem European based, though I could be wrong (the article said Sweden), where the Euro was about equal (if maybe slightly over) the dollar in value. But still...who are these people who can invest that much in active-entertainment? WoW is tiny in terms of monetary investment compared to this. Aside from possibly making your money back, this better be a hell of a good game to warrent that sort of expense.
Old 2010-02-09, 18:25   Link #20
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Maybe its a publicity stunt, seems to be working that way anyway.
Your theory sounds mighty plausible to me. 70k for an unknown game just seems weird. o_O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote