AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-25, 04:28   Link #101
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
@ Veritas:

If something doesn't meet your expectations, it could be *gasp* your own fault for setting your own expectations too high. Moreover, why go to the subject's forum and say "omg this sucks"? It's like going to the Bleach forum and saying "omg bleach is gay and it's all the same one piece and dbz powerup shit" - pointless. If you put it in that way, it's doubtful that anyone cares what you have to say.
Old 2006-12-25, 15:43   Link #102
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
As to the topic at hand... sigh, sadly I had to cancel my order for Air on blu-ray in the end, due to rather unforseeen problems involving a few bills and then the crazy month of cost that is December - a new pair of glasses, and paying for my GAMSAT test next year took a large chunk of my extra income, as did the whole Christmas shopping thing. That said - it's still available on Amazon.co.jp even now. And I'm in the process of downloading the OP rips, as they're really what I'd love to see right now. If I don't end up picking up the BR box in the next few months, I think I'll get the DVDs instead - saves me having to pick up a player - or, well... if the box is still there, my inherent weakness will still be there
Well your finances will be grateful that in the 12 hours or so since you posted that it's gone out of stock Looks like they won't be getting any more, either. Oh well, saves you buying the player I guess. Stuck with getting it in the end so mine's in my Kanon Vol 1 order, hurrah! Watch them bring out a BR set for that too.

Now to finally get round to buying a new TV...
Old 2006-12-26, 14:54   Link #103
outlaw97

So have the compression issues been resolved in the BD version? It's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the box set...
Old 2006-12-27, 11:10   Link #104
Pepz

Well I got my copy today! But since I'm waiting for an multi region blu-ray player, it won't be opened
Old 2006-12-27, 11:38   Link #105
Varion
殲滅天使

Heh, I still need a HDTV too. Mine should be here either tomorrow or the day after, so pics will follow for anyone interested providing the camera has enough batteries in it.

As for the compression issues, after this many delays they better have fixed them.
Old 2006-12-28, 10:14   Link #106
Varion
殲滅天使

Okay, got it today and ... it's very small. I was expecting a huge box or something but it's about twice as thick as the Kanon v1 DVD I got with it and not even as tall. Still, better for storage I guess. The discs themselves are the same size as regular DVDs, and are all picture-labelled with some of the characters. Misuzu gets one, as does Kanna, Kano and Minagi, then there's a bigger image going across the back which is only half visible because the discs appear to be stuck to one side! Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I tried to take pics but due to the lack of light they came out terrible and not worth uploading. I'll try again tomorrow.

Can't comment on video quality or anything, but the TV I was thinking of has gone down on price now so I'll probably get it in January, then it's just a case of waiting for the PS3 to go down in price then...

Photos! I apologise for how shoddy some of them came out, but it's getting dark stupidly early here lately and I don't exist in the mornings, so I've gotta make do with the flash. Which doesn't like shiny surfaces at all. Those ones above are like the best of 20 attempts at each. Kanna came out the worst because her side of the box is stuck down so I had to hold the other discs from falling on top of her.

Last edited by Varion; 2006-12-29 at 12:02.
Old 2007-01-16, 18:50   Link #107
SFX2501
GFX; You request?

w00t i got my AIR today and ran to my PS3 to start playing, I haven't seen the DVD version so I can really do a comparison but what is this compression issue on it, did they do it bad so they used lots of DVD's or does the image look jaggy? because this is what was on my PS3, the images were horrendously jaggy indicating the PS3 has no AA for Blu-Ray or Pony Canyon sucks but everything else: the color and the sound are really good.
Old 2007-01-20, 16:02   Link #108
G005

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX2501 View Post
w00t i got my AIR today and ran to my PS3 to start playing, I haven't seen the DVD version so I can really do a comparison but what is this compression issue on it, did they do it bad so they used lots of DVD's or does the image look jaggy? because this is what was on my PS3, the images were horrendously jaggy indicating the PS3 has no AA for Blu-Ray or Pony Canyon sucks but everything else: the color and the sound are really good.
The DVDs suffer from poor compression, resulting in occasional mosquito noise and blocking. Colors were also quite dull. And yeah, Pony Canyon has a poor track record when it comes to DVD encoding.

The upconverted Blu-Ray release suffers from aliasing, but boasts much improved compression. Fortunately, consumers seem happy enough with it, and it's probably the best retail release we'll get unless Pony Canyon remasters the DVDs (probably unlikely) or launches another HD version in the future.

On a related note, I'm hearing wonderful things about the new Kanon DVD, so it seems that the company has finally begun improving their product quality.
Old 2007-01-27, 06:59   Link #109
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Hm. Sounds like I was somewhat justified in finally deciding against the blu-ray version of Air, albeit it that finances were more the problem at the time then video quality. Ah well.

Oh, and yes - the first Kanon disk looks gorgeous on my plasma. Much better than I've been lead to believe the AIR disks do.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-01-28, 21:22   Link #110
Varion
殲滅天使

Yeah, having seen both an Air DVD and a Kanon DVD on the same TV with the same player, I can't fault the first volume of Kanon.

I'm glad they sorted out the compression anyway, and if people are happy enough that's good. I still haven't got the stuff to watch my set.
Old 2007-01-29, 02:44   Link #111
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX2501 View Post
Actually, now that I reread this, I think you've been hit by the ugly bugbear of the PS3 - namely, that it cannot play 720p Blu-ray content, and, if I remember correctly, the remastered version of AIR (excluding the OP) is upscaled to 720p, not 1080x. So your PS3 isn't actually even capable of playing 720p video; apparently it can output movies in 1080p, 1080i and 480p, and that if a source doesn't conform it will downscale the signal. Also, do you have a 1080p television? As the PS3 also does a nasty trick to televisions that are 720p, largely downscaling all signals there too.

The bottom line here is that the AIR Blu-ray box might actually look pretty good; the general impression around the 'net seems to be so. Sadly though, this might only apply to people using a standalone Blu-ray player, *or* those with a 1080p television. Complainable? Oh yes - feel free to congratulate Sony; they're the ones who crippled PS3 Blu-ray.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-02-07, 14:33   Link #112
Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Maniac Send a message via AIM to Maniac Send a message via MSN to Maniac Send a message via Yahoo to Maniac
http://mdcfansubs.blogspot.com/

-- would any of you be interested in me doing this?
Old 2007-02-07, 16:28   Link #113
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post

There isn't a strong enough form of "yes" to express what I want to say.
Old 2007-02-08, 09:15   Link #114
Varion
殲滅天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post

Short answer - yes. It's not like I can watch my version

As for the blog entry though, you mentioned help with karaoke. I wouldn't bother unless you personally really like it, the kind of people who'd be interested in a HD release are the kind who either don't care about, or outright hate, karaoke dancing across the screen when they'd rather concentrate on the anime itself and the higher quality. As for subtitles, Triad don't care. Someone used their subs before (for the Nanoha DVD releases), and basically all they care about is that you don't do a horrible job. If you bother asking they'll likely ignore you or just repeat that they don't care. They prefer no karaoke too. I don't think Koi even have a contact address, or at least I've never seen one.
Old 2007-02-08, 16:20   Link #115
Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Maniac Send a message via AIM to Maniac Send a message via MSN to Maniac Send a message via Yahoo to Maniac
yeah I've pretty much figured all that out - I did ask Triad but have no response just yet.

In regards to the karaoke I like it... but no worres I softsub EVERYTHING so it can be turned off.
Old 2007-02-09, 08:24   Link #116
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ Maniac

Yes, I'd be highly interested if you were to do this. I'm personally more of a fan of Koi's subtitles than I was of the Triad's, but then that's just personal opinion... and of course, if you're using a softsub I can just extract it, modify it, and remux it if I'm really that fanatical about it

As for karaoke, I can take it or leave it - but if you're putting it into the SSA stream, hey, that's fantastic right there. Many kudos for your sugestion, Maniac. My fingers are crossed. ^^

-Andiyar
Old 2007-02-09, 09:26   Link #117
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Maniac: Is there any chance you could hardsub the opening and ending themes? Fancy karaoke is a pain to decode on even the highest end machines. But otherwise, I'm very interested in seeing this!
Old 2007-02-09, 12:28   Link #118
Asrialys

Someone uploaded a torrent of the BD episodes + extra stuff. Over 5 GB. It's just titled "air" on Tokyo Tosho. They're avi files I think. Haven't downloaded it yet. No space. lol
Old 2007-02-09, 12:39   Link #119
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

wait a minute, how are u guys playing this on your PS3? there is no region 2 lock out? or does blue ray not have regions yet?
Old 2007-02-09, 13:47   Link #120
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
America and Japan share a Blu Ray-region, I believe it was #2.

(Which is why blu ray sucks, as Europe got a different one. )