AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-13, 01:38   Link #81
dragon1412

Hoshin Engi fans assemble !!!!, but yeah, not a really good remake, rushing is 1 thing, but I'm more on the line of they are skipping details, people can't follow what the character do since many detail in-between rather than just issues of rushing, the OP is actually not that bad, but compare to the original one is just terrible, why put some metal rock in there, reuse the original and I would scream my heart out anyway/

The correct translation, literally is, Ordained of the gods, which spoke about the plan to endowed Xian(Sennin) or sage, demons and heroic warriors with position of gods to control them.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 01:55   Link #82
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
Spoiler for What is skipped:
What are you talking about.
Taikobo gets one of the key item from that tutorial fight.
Tenka is so going to die in a certain fight later on if he doesn't have that.

Last edited by shmaster; 2018-01-13 at 02:14.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 18:09   Link #83
wghokay

I am very happy that Hoshin Engi is being remade. It was my favorite animes from my childhood, and the animation quality of the remake is top-notch.

With that being said, I think it will be much better if we instead start from Maka Yonshou arc for the remake, since that is where the old anime started to diverge from the manga.

By the way, does anyone notice the lack of Raishinshi in the OP of the anime?

He was a main character in the original anime, but then got relegated to irrelevance towards the end of the original manga, and it seems like he will just get forgotten from the beginning in the remake.
wghokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 20:52   Link #84
Mangaka-chan

Surprisingly I thought the first episode was alright, despite a lot of stuff getting cut. Part of it is probably because it's been ages since I last read the beginning of the manga, and they kept enough of the main points in the intro that I at least didn't miss any of the cut material. The art is pretty close to Ryu Fujisaki's original style, clown shoes, giant gloves and all, and it brings back a lot of nostalgia, because there really isn't any other show with a design like this. Some people may find it ugly and/or weird, but it is pretty darn unmistakable. I will say though, that I wasn't expecting them to start the story with a fight between Bunchuu and Taikoubo, but I suppose they're trying to show off the exciting stuff now to rope in potential new viewers? But with no context I think it's more confusing than enticing...

The only thing I am a bit disappointed with right now is the opening, and it's not necessarily because it's electronic music (after all, the manga did have a sci-fi edge to it), but more because the lyrics are sung so incoherently that I can't tell what language they're in. As much as I hate on the old anime adaptation for cutting short the story and giving it nonsensical original ending, it had great OP and ED songs. My guess is we'll get to hear the ED next week, and it'll hopefully be a better fit for the show.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-19, 12:14   Link #85
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Okay, episode 2 felt really superior to the pilot. It appears nothing was censored. Nataku was shown without any rush except for that final part where the Sennin took him away. I thought Taikobo would still take the untrained Nataku. I wonder who will be his next ally. I look forward to this series happily if they keep the plot at this pacing.

I'm getting lost with some names. I only remember Taikobo (the Spanish dub I watched as a kid simply called him Taikun), Dakki, Nataku and Hiko.
Old 2018-01-19, 16:26   Link #86
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Okay, episode 2 felt really superior to the pilot. It appears nothing was censored. Nataku was shown without any rush except for that final part where the Sennin took him away. I thought Taikobo would still take the untrained Nataku. I wonder who will be his next ally. I look forward to this series happily if they keep the plot at this pacing.

I'm getting lost with some names. I only remember Taikobo (the Spanish dub I watched as a kid simply called him Taikun), Dakki, Nataku and Hiko.
I've the opposite, the old series taking the time fleshed out more both Nataku/Naza and the rebellion and we've soon to meet the west prince(the Human MC of this story alongside the emperor children) and was a little rushed but better as is a short remake, i wanted a long one, maybe tastes..

Did you watched in latin american spanish too?(locomotion), he was callled both Taikobo and Taikun, Nataku was short as Naza, Dakki is in both version but i didn't know the brown haired general was Hiko too
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-19, 18:01   Link #87
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

So we are both from from South America, Nivek von Beldo? I don't remember the original Hoshin Engi too much, but I feel like episode 2 of Hakyu felt easier to follow than Hakyu's episode 1. I mean episode had a lot of stories combined. Instead, episode 2 only focused on Nataku (also, on the guy with three eyes too a little) which felt easier to follow.

Also, I need a manga expert. Is Taikobo a Sennin expert or still a rookie? I mean in episode 1 the elder said he would leave him out of his realm if he didn't take his mission. However, in episode 2 another Sennin comes to assist Taikobo with Nataku which made it sound like Taikobo is more important.
Old 2018-01-19, 18:07   Link #88
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
So we are both from from South America, Nivek von Beldo? I don't remember the original Hoshin Engi too much, but I feel like episode 2 of Hakyu felt easier to follow than Hakyu's episode 1. I mean episode had a lot of stories combined. Instead, episode 2 only focused on Nataku (also, on the guy with three eyes too a little) which felt easier to follow.

Also, I need a manga expert. Is Taikobo a Sennin expert or still a rookie? I mean in episode 1 the elder said he would leave him out of his realm if he didn't take his mission. However, in episode 2 another Sennin comes to assist Taikobo with Nataku which made it sound like Taikobo is more important.
Yes, which country in the region? Locomotion(who sony buy and become animax before killing it...i hate sony so much) showed Soul Hunter as one of their flagship and i still remember that anime livid(sadly was too young to properly understand, when saw the info of remake was a rush to see it).

The issue is dunno manga(will read it when all of this is over) but in the original anime, we've a episode of the intrigue of Dakki with both generals and later we see Nataku with one and half episode(the other half was the rebellion aftermatch) so things did go here to ligthing pace but dunno how is in front the manga.

In the old anime he was a rookie and still in formation/studies and he have a big role later on,unless that was an anime only plot twist...
Old 2018-01-19, 19:49   Link #89
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:

Taikobo is a doushi, not a senin.
To be a senin you must take in disciples, Taikobo didn't do that.

But Taikobo actually has a lot of authority in Konron Mountain.
The top 12 Senin all willing to follow his commend.
He practucally is the No.2 of Konron Mountain.
Old 2018-01-19, 20:12   Link #90
Redhazard
Desert Man

So I get that they are trying to push Bunchuu but man, this episode had awful structure.

Quote:
The elder is the leader of the entire mountain. Taikoubou is his number 1 (and only) disciple. As such, even if he is only an apprentice, he has a fair amount of authority.
Old 2018-01-19, 20:36   Link #91
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhazard View Post
So I get that they are trying to push Bunchuu but man, this episode had awful structure.

The elder is the leader of the entire mountain. Taikoubou is his number 1 (and only) disciple. As such, even if he is only an apprentice, he has a fair amount of authority.
No, the 12 senin are all Genshi' students. Taikobo is the youngest one.
Old 2018-01-20, 20:03   Link #92
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Interesting. Is Doushi a word from Chinese mythology?
Old 2018-01-20, 20:20   Link #93
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

"Doushi" literally means "Taoist".
Many characters are from Taoism, for example this is Genshi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuanshi_Tianzun
Old 2018-01-20, 20:28   Link #94
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Now, I am even more interested. I googled Taikobo and the first thing I found was Jiang Ziya. I guess the author is a fan of China.
Old 2018-01-20, 21:39   Link #95
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Now, I am even more interested. I googled Taikobo and the first thing I found was Jiang Ziya. I guess the author is a fan of China.
Will, Hoshin Engi is a Chinese fantasy novel from the old times.
Fujisaki Ryu based his manga on it, although with a lot of changes.
Old 2018-01-20, 22:30   Link #96
Mangaka-chan

The original Fengshen Yanyi novel is very heavily steeped in Chinese myths and folklore, and Ryu Fujisaki really put his own spin on just about everything in the story. As someone who's of Chinese descent, reading the manga wasn't too bad, especially since I'm familiar with a lot of the terms and characters as a part of my culture. But I feel like one reason why Houshin Engi didn't do well outside of Asia is that the unfamiliar terminology and absence of a pre-existing knowledge about much of the mythos turned people off. Combine that with the gobs and gobs of named characters and at times quirky humor and unique art style probably made it even harder to popularize outside of Asia.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-20, 23:30   Link #97
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
The original Fengshen Yanyi novel is very heavily steeped in Chinese myths and folklore, and Ryu Fujisaki really put his own spin on just about everything in the story. As someone who's of Chinese descent, reading the manga wasn't too bad, especially since I'm familiar with a lot of the terms and characters as a part of my culture. But I feel like one reason why Houshin Engi didn't do well outside of Asia is that the unfamiliar terminology and absence of a pre-existing knowledge about much of the mythos turned people off. Combine that with the gobs and gobs of named characters and at times quirky humor and unique art style probably made it even harder to popularize outside of Asia.
It was ultra Popular in spanish speaking countries and they used more chinese name with human characther ( the non Jeep the same) and the anime was exclusive to satellite TV so people watched it in group, i remember that ( used to have satellite). But yeah i'm English speaking is almost a footnote , hope this one can change it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-ljPPZis0
New anime with the superior OP
Old 2018-01-26, 15:45   Link #98
Nivek von Beldo

The Anime is going full steam ahead, Koh Hiko and Youzen were far more ahead and we meet Ligthing and his father the lord of the west first, seems either manga was different or his anime is going fast pace
Old 2018-01-26, 19:35   Link #99
Redhazard
Desert Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
The Anime is going full steam ahead, Koh Hiko and Youzen were far more ahead and we meet Ligthing and his father the lord of the west first, seems either manga was different or his anime is going fast pace
Half and half. The first anime switched up some things. Youzen appears before Lightning dude (this anime is likely going to skip him by the way) in the manga. That said, Hiko rebelling is supposed to be happening much later.

Either way, it's rushing things, but less so than the other episodes.
Old 2018-01-26, 21:02   Link #100
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

By Lightning dude you mean the one with wings? Also, I remember Taikobo wasn't even afraid of Yozen/Dakki when first seeing him in the first anime. Don't remember if there were also more tests in the first anime. Still, that test where Taikobo lost a blood felt weird. Is a goshi so powerful he can't die despite these wounds?

Still, something is bothering me. The writers try to pull comedy in really serious parts like when the Emperors wanted to touch Hiko's wife and a minute later we had quite a gruesome death.

Tags
remake, shonen jump