AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-07, 10:24   Link #61
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The Chinese wasn't just bad, it was incredibly bad. Like just about not understandable, in places. There's some screechy, off-tune violin-playing near the beginning, and the Chinese was like that: an unrecognizable tune.

I saw a Chinese sub, but it took a comparatively long time for one to show up, and there are still only two subs 36 hours after it aired.
Spoiler for ep1:
I really think they should have just let the random thug's VA voice the main charas' lines as well. And ... I'm still not seeing the sub at the usual place (maybe cause it's not up for stream yet), but I am seeing Mayoi Neko Overrun though ...
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 15:11   Link #62
_gallo_

The first episode gave me soma Chiko vibes, maybe because of the similar character designs and also for that vaguely retrò style. On one hand the setting sure is intriguing( although sometimes I had the felt that it was used just to make cooler the anime), on the other the lead characters' esper powers pissed me off a bit. I wonder when someone will make an anime set in the 19th century without any paranormal stuff. Visuals were nothing special, but not terrible either. Instead I loved the music. I thought it matched well what was going on the screen.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 16:04   Link #63
Rah-Rah
I Am A Justaway

Send a message via MSN to Rah-Rah
Personally, I enjoyed the first episode. Sure the super powers came out of nowhere considering how the show was marketed beforehand, but I'm just happy we are getting something that isn't based off an exsiting properity. Hopefully though I'll like this more then So Ra No Wo To.

Rah-Rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 16:36   Link #64
NakedAngelX

Garbage- "制作方对历史的正视程度还是不够"
Old 2010-04-07, 16:51   Link #65
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Now that its finally translated can get about watching it . There are mixed reviews in this thread so not getting my hopes up . Hope the anime doesn't disappoint .
Old 2010-04-07, 17:19   Link #66
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well that was kinda cool, the beginning felt like the opening of an action/spy flick and later on I kept thinking "This is what Darker than Black would be like if it was set in the 1930s." I'm interested, but very underwhelmed by the cheapness of the ED visuals (even Book of Bantorra's original opening was more animated than that!).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 17:21   Link #67
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Ok the chinese in the beginning was just horrible, especially from the violin playing person(Aoi I think his name was). I mean, I understand he's japanese and all but they're making it seem like he's incapable of speaking. Otherwise, I think the anime is pretty interesting.
________
Child prilosec

Last edited by Rennir; 2011-04-19 at 05:05.
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 17:27   Link #68
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Well already see the 1st episode, kinda cliche but at least the BGM is superb. The best Soundtrack of this season i think.
And i like this one more than previous ANC slot.
Old 2010-04-07, 17:51   Link #69
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Spoiler for possible spoilers maybe?:

We can expect timeline in the anime to jump forward?
May I ask, where did you find this? The prospect of this story getting tied together with SoRaNoWoTo's is very intriguing!
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 18:04   Link #70
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
I wonder when someone will make an anime set in the 19th century without any paranormal stuff.
Well, there is always Emma

But yeah, I don't think that I follow this. I was expecting a realistic portrayal of the historical events, and I ended up getting a DtB steampunk. not that the first episode was bad, in fact it was very good, but it is not what I was looking for here.
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 18:08   Link #71
ZODDGUTS

Eh I liked the first episode thought it was pretty good. So far I'm liking all four characters hopefully they will get more flesh out. The action scenes were also pretty good.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 18:20   Link #72
Raiga
tl;dr

Gotta get to dinner, but I watched the first 2 minutes just to see what the Chinese was like.

Well the dude who's supposed to be Chinese sounded like a native speaker at least, but spy dude... yeah, it was like he was chewing on gum the whole time, no offense to the voice actor who I'm sure had to learn a new phonetic system on short notice. XD Well, maybe not believable for someone who's supposed to be infiltrating the country, but I guess it's supposed to sound like it's not his native language.

I suppose James Bond's brief shouts in Chinese weren't much better (I forget which movie that was).

I'll watch the rest... er, when I have time, but I have pretty high expectations since I enjoyed SnW.
Old 2010-04-07, 22:46   Link #73
LeoXiao
思想工作

"Our ideals are the stability and prosperity of East Asia"? lol, that's like saying the Nazis wanted to bring order to Europe. Or maybe this is alternate history where the Japanese aren't as bad...

Anyway, the first episode seems okay. It's a little convoluted and the powers aren't presented as well as in Darker than Black, but it has good atmosphere. My biggest complaint (no its not the crappy mandarin) would be the characters; they don't seem to have been introduced particularly well, and seem a little cliched.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 22:56   Link #74
Xion Valkyrie

Watched the first episode. The main problem with the Mandarin is that there's a few random Chinese soldiers with decent Mandarin, but the rest + main characters are so bad at it that you can't understand it without subtitles.

I really really liked their take on teleportation though. It's EXACTLY how I teleport when in my dreams. I wonder if whoever came up with it also have the same kind of dreams.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 00:41   Link #75
Raiga
tl;dr

Random extras like the dude at the beginning and the guys with the board game had pretty good Chinese, but the guys talking about the watermelon were unintelligible, and as mentioned the spies themselves.

Well, that aside, action-packed intro and it looks like we're thrown right into the middle of a lot of intrigue so I'll be keeping with this to see where it's going for now.
Old 2010-04-08, 00:44   Link #76
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
...I really really liked their take on teleportation though....
Me, too. And the way Aoi laughed and laughed was so great. The whole bit felt real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao
"Our ideals are the stability and prosperity of East Asia"? lol, that's like saying the Nazis wanted to bring order to Europe. Or maybe this is alternate history where the Japanese aren't as bad...
No, that's exactly what they said then -- and even believed, as the Nazis believed they were doing the right thing, too. I think most people who end up doing evil things don't have any idea they are being evil. That goes for us, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga
Random extras like the dude at the beginning and the guys with the board game had pretty good Chinese, but the guys talking about the watermelon were unintelligible, and as mentioned the spies themselves.
The guys talking about the watermelon were the spies, weren't they? That was just about the most ridiculous part: any Chinese would know they were foreigners instantly. But I was able to suspend my disbelief in the interest of enjoying the story, lol. This reminds me of Rudyard Kipling stories about British spies in 19th-century India passing as Indians. Suuuure.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-04-08 at 01:16.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 01:04   Link #77
Raiga
tl;dr

Y'know, this is why I shouldn't eat while watching anime (well, at least not plot-heavier shows). I completely missed that they were the spies. XD I guess they were well disguised...
Old 2010-04-08, 01:07   Link #78
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Spoiler for possible spoilers maybe?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
May I ask, where did you find this? The prospect of this story getting tied together with SoRaNoWoTo's is very intriguing!
Actually that sounds more like pure Sora no Woto speculation. At this point I can't see any connection between the shows. There was no indication of supernatural power in SnW, and no sign of advanced tech in Night Raid, so far.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 02:01   Link #79
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Y'know, this is why I shouldn't eat while watching anime (well, at least not plot-heavier shows). I completely missed that they were the spies. XD I guess they were well disguised...
Full disclosure: I didn't figure it out until my second viewing.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 02:05   Link #80
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Actually that sounds more like pure Sora no Woto speculation. At this point I can't see any connection between the shows. There was no indication of supernatural power in SnW, and no sign of advanced tech in Night Raid, so far.
I was aiming at Angel's fossil as a common element. That being said, the shows may not even share the same timeline or the same universe, but that may be an element giving Anime no Chikara shows a badge of identity, a common theme.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote