AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-04, 00:33   Link #1
SeroganeX

Send a message via AIM to SeroganeX
I've gone through all the suggestions for hilarious anime, but I'm itching for more..

Here are some of the "Hilarious" series that I'm following now:

- Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe
- Dokkoida
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
- Sakigake!! Cromartie High

Can you suggest some other hilarious series similar to these?

P.S: I've seen/given up on the following:

- Ranma
- Masaru-san (Sexy commando?)
- Golden Boy
- Abenobashi Shoutengai
- Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
- Ebichu
- Papuwa

Thanks for your time.
Old 2003-11-04, 01:02   Link #2
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Well...if you like really sick and abrupt humor similar to that of south park, try The Ping Pong Club. Pretty funny
Old 2003-11-04, 01:16   Link #3
Danny Boy

• Maburaho
  • Excel Saga (though I didn't like it myself)
  • The Slayers
  • Otaku no Video
  • Lupin III
  • Kare Kano (when it's doing comedy, it's hilarious, when it's doing romance it's drama).
  • Here is Greenwood (quirky romantic-comedy)
  • Patlabor: The New Files (2nd OAV series)
  • DNA^2
  • Dirty Pair
  • LA Blue Girl (hentai though)
  • Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
  • Hyper Dolls
  • Bottle Fairy
  • Love Hina
  • Magical Girl Pretty Sammy
  • Futurama (Ok, it's not anime)
I'll try to scan my VHS tapes collection for more... though I think they're mostly there.
Old 2003-11-04, 06:02   Link #4
Sesshoumaru
Demon of the west

Why hasn't anybody recomended azumanga daioh? It's the funniest thing ever made regardless of form.
Old 2003-11-04, 10:27   Link #5
Danny Boy

I doubt if Azumanga Daioh would fit here. While it is quite hilarious, the comedy is not delivered in an explicit manner. Most of the comedy is deadpan and pretty subtle (sort of like the proverbial dry British humour).
Old 2003-11-04, 11:18   Link #6
CSCousins

Azumanga fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
I doubt if Azumanga Daioh would fit here. While it is quite hilarious, the comedy is not delivered in an explicit manner. Most of the comedy is deadpan and pretty subtle (sort of like the proverbial dry British humour).
I disagree. I think the comedy is delivered in a very explicit manner. Depending on how you want to interpret "explicit" that is. The comedy is NOT subtle, nor deadpan. I don't think you watched very much of it or were half asleep... The anime is very acurate to it's four panel manga origin. Even when you have the qiet dry characters like Sakaki or Osaka, they are usually well complemented by the rest of the cast, Tomo and Yukari alone provide more than enough physical comedy. I think it is one of the funniest around BECUASE it does not just take one comedy angle. It has the just right balance of physical comedy, diolouge comedy, and subtle indirect and dry comedy. Don't forget plenty of irony, bizaar comedy (i.e. guu), and even some satire. which is layed over a really well done heavely character driven story, not just senseless acts of goofiness.
I challenge you to retract your statement.
Azumanga Daioh is 3rd on my list of favorite anime's right behind Evangelion and Escaflowne. and my number 1 comedy pick. My opinion, but it definately deserves to be on the list. besides, all they specify was hilarious. they didn't say comedy.

-C.S.
Old 2003-11-04, 13:08   Link #7
Danny Boy

Wow, a foaming-at-the-mouth otaku. Never met one for quite some time.
Quote:
I challenge you to retract your statement.
Retract? Nope. As we'll soon see, my point is quite well-grounded, and your response is a mixture of various gross misunderstandings and an ad hominem brought about by your extreme bias in this regard.
Quote:
I don't think you watched very much of it or were half asleep... The anime is very acurate to it's four panel manga origin.
I have watched it and never had I felt sleepy at any time. It's quite entertaining, really. But your attempts at telepathy, which is nothing more than an ad hominem, is duly noted. Next.
Quote:
Tomo and Yukari alone provide more than enough physical comedy. I think it is one of the funniest around BECUASE it does not just take one comedy angle. It has the just right balance of physical comedy, diolouge comedy, and subtle indirect and dry comedy.
Well, whether the physical "comedy" in Azumanga Daioh is funny or not is a subjective judgment, and I didn't care for them at all. The nonphysical humor, though, is quite hilarious. I've had LOL moments with Azumanga, especially with Osaka, who's rather naive views is ridiculously funny without really trying to be so. It would only work if delivered subtly, which is the reason behind her character. Sorry, but you're wrong again.

Also, please note that you've basically conceded my point, where you did admit that the series has, in your words, subtle indirect and dry comedy, which contradicts your assertion that the comedy is delivered in a very explicit manner. The dialogue comedy you hinted at is not as hilarious as the subtle ones by Osaka, Sakaki and perhaps the rest of the cast, with the exception of their loud-mouthed teacher, who may be funny to some, but not all.
Quote:
Don't forget plenty of irony
And I may note that irony is best served subtly, as the show has done. They do not delve into it like other shows, but rather only hint at it.
Quote:
bizaar comedy (i.e. guu), and even some satire. which is layed over a really well done heavely character driven story, not just senseless acts of goofiness.
Again, you're already proving my point, a "heavy character driven story" is a mark of an intellectually stimulating show, as opposed to mindless laugh-a-minute flicks. Which is what my post is driving at. See my explanation below.
Quote:
Azumanga Daioh is 3rd on my list of favorite anime's right behind Evangelion and Escaflowne. and my number 1 comedy pick. My opinion, but it definately deserves to be on the list. besides, all they specify was hilarious. they didn't say comedy.
And I never impugned those who wish to state their personal preferences, which is why I am a bit taken aback with your attack on my post. It's rather innocuous, IMO, and so I cannot fathom why you'd respond in the way you did, other than the fact that, as you've stated, you feel strongly biased towards this show. I may ridicule your choice of EVA, though not Escaflowne, but it's rather a matter of personal taste, which I prefer to leave with the "agree to disagree" compromise.

And I would like to bring your attention to the OP, which says some of the "Hilarious" series that I'm following now (note the emphasis on hilarious), and on his choice of examples, like Cromatorie High, FMP Fumoffu, and Dokkaida. And his other list has Ranma 1/2 and Ebichu. I think it is fair to say that what he had in mind is hilarity of the Jim Carrey kind, slapstick and obvious sight gags. A subtle anime, like Azumanga Daioh, which I'd normally recommend, is out of place in such a list.

So, maybe next time you'd care to understand the discussion more, and perhaps try to understand that even the best shows may not be the best ones to recommend, especially if the OP hints that it might not be appropriate.
Old 2003-11-04, 21:10   Link #8
SeroganeX

Uh...anyways, thanks for your suggestions, everyone (Though I didn't enjoy Azumanga Daioh anime at all [Manga was way better, and that's not saying much]).

Quote:

Maburaho

Excel Saga (though I didn't like it myself) - So is it good?

The Slayers - Manga wasn't very good; how is the anime?

Otaku no Video

Lupin III

Kare Kano (when it's doing comedy, it's hilarious, when it's doing romance it's drama).

Here is Greenwood (quirky romantic-comedy) - Nah

Patlabor: The New Files (2nd OAV series)

DNA^2 - Read the manga (Wan't very funny, by the way)

Dirty Pair

LA Blue Girl (hentai though) - Seen some; not a particular fan of tentacles

Cat Girl Nuku Nuku - By the artist of 3x3 eyes, which I've been wanting to check out but wasn't able to find any episodes

Hyper Dolls

Bottle Fairy

Love Hina - Seen

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy

Futurama (Ok, it's not anime) - Seen, not very interested anymore
Wow, that's still quite a few new series. But just out of curiousity, are the ones that I haven't seen amusing? I'm not looking for a "Heh" sort of series, but a series that's funny/hilarious all the way through.

Still, I really appreciate all your suggestions. I'm also looking forward to more from people.
Old 2003-11-05, 06:05   Link #9
Akiace

How about Kero Kero Chime? I think it's hilarious. The first few episodes are so-so, but when the adventure really starts, every episode made me laugh so much!

btw, I think Azumanga Daioh is funny. Kinda plotless, but sometimes simplicity has its beauty. I esp love the parts about the class teacher.
Old 2003-11-05, 12:52   Link #10
CSCousins

danny boy

you're wrong, I am right.
but it's a shame I couldn't keep it civil
:P

Edits supplied by Mod (xris)

Last edited by xris; 2003-11-05 at 13:46.
Old 2003-11-05, 16:31   Link #11
Lina
moo.

Here's some 'funny' ones off animesuki.com:

- Kodomo no Omocha
- Bottle Fairy {new and cute}
Old 2003-11-05, 17:52   Link #12
straw
(9 '')9 yami yami (9 '')9

Send a message via ICQ to straw
i thing puni puni poemi is more then hilarious
Old 2003-11-05, 21:12   Link #13
SeroganeX

Thanks for the confirmation/suggestion.
Old 2003-11-06, 01:50   Link #14
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

Wow, no one's mentioned GTO? That's the funniest anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
Old 2003-11-06, 03:28   Link #15
SeroganeX

I've read GTO manga before, and I have to say it's a lot better than the anime. What makes the GTO manga great is all the amusing sub-texts that are in it.

Btw, Maburaho was terrible. It felt like a rip-off of Psychic Academy and Love Hina/Other various "boy gets 3+ girls for no reason" crap. Worse of all, it's not even funny. I could've picked a better series by randomly downloading something with my eyes closed.

Please, I'm asking for a good suggestion here. I'm happy with one great hilarious series, as opposed to a bunch of mediocre/boring series.

Thanks for your time.
Old 2003-11-06, 04:25   Link #16
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeroganeX
Please, I'm asking for a good suggestion here. I'm happy with one great hilarious series, as opposed to a bunch of mediocre/boring series.

Thanks for your time.
Well, you are bound to get opinions and everyone has a different sense of humor. Aside from what has already been listed:

Puni Puni Poemi - 2 episode OVA's. (Any more would have been TOO much.) This is hard to describe but it is extremely fast paced (chaotic even) parody. Extreme parody. It has the advantage of being a short enough series that you don't have time to get sick of the overused jokes.

Tenshi na Konamaiki - I almost always recomend this series when the topic is comedy. This series is a gender-bender with a twist that has some very funny situational and physical comedy. The animation style seems to turn off some people, but it only phased me for a couple of episodes, then I was hooked. Now I wait eagerly for each new release (up to episode 30 of 52).

Anyway, humor is really subjective, but based on what you had listed these seemed spot on.

Zoya
Old 2003-11-06, 04:50   Link #17
SeroganeX

Hey, now we're talking. Thanks for these detailed suggestions.
Old 2003-11-07, 01:57   Link #18
CSCousins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeroganeX
Hey, now we're talking. Thanks for these detailed suggestions.
Hmm...
If you like Excel Saga you will like Puni Puni Poemi. It's by the same Director Watanabe, who is the afro guy in both series. Yes the director DOES dress like that in normal life, I can't remember if Excel was mentioned yet, but Excel Saga is a 26 episode tv series. Although I believe ep 26 could'n't be shown on tv for it's just wrongness.

I just thought of this one, which is why I'm posting... heh... Just thought I mention Excel since someone mention poemi...

Nurse Witch Kamugichan
Episodes = ???? only 2.5 out so far
It's a magical girl show, sorta... It's somewhat along the lines of Puni Puni Poemi, but paced slower with what resembles more of an actual plot than a straight parody. If you took Sailor Moon season 4 and Puni Puni and mixed em together with a bit of card captor sakura on the side, thats about acurate feel I'd say.

If you are really sick and depraved you can watch
Ping Pong Club
but don't say I didn't warn you. and thats all I'll say about that.
Though, if you want a feel for the series Ping Pong CLub,
do a search for "Anime Nashville" search thier site, they have a anime music video called "young boys" which is without a doubt the undisputed world's sickest nastiest AMV ever made.
If anyone has seen this video and disagrees, please let me know the name of the video thats worse. for.. uh... avoidance yeah thats it...

-C. S.
Old 2003-11-07, 04:26   Link #19
SeroganeX

Got it. Thanks for the submissions.

Btw, Tenshi na Konamaiki is pretty good (After 3 episodes). A fine time waster.
Old 2003-11-07, 07:56   Link #20
The1Voices
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The1Voices
Fooly Cooly
Closed Thread