031 - 040: Bad... 9 5.45%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 3 1.82%
011 - 020: Awful... 10 6.06%
000 - 010: You'd rather be watching Medabots... 16 9.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-06-30, 23:51   Link #1
james0246

[Anime-only] Shippuden Episode 167 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted before it airs in Japan (which is Thursday at 07:29 PM).
  • Naruto Forum RULES...
    • DO NOT ASK where to download RAWs or Fansubs... and DO NOT MENTION fansub group names...
      For further information please visit the Naruto Licensed! Ask for it = Ban thread
  • Thread Guidelines...
    • Absolutely no manga spoilers in any anime-only threads such as the weekly Episode Discussion threads. That means, no hints, or vague remarks about a future event from the manga, even within the spoiler tags. Inability to observe this rule will result in a BAN!
    • Discuss your expectations of this episode if it hasn't aired yet.
    • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    • Try to keep the discussion on topic.

Everyone is encouraged to use the report post button if these rules are broken. The button is located in the left hand corner, at the bottom of every user name. It will notify a moderator who will deal with such post according to the rules.

This Week's episode:
Catastrophic Planetary Construction - 地爆天星 ~ Chibaku Tensei.

Description:
Quote:
Naruto enters his Four-Tailed form and attacks Pain, who manages to repel his attacks. Angered even further, Naruto continues his transformation into a Six-Tailed form. Pain decides to fall back and activate his Chibaku Tensei technique, creating a miniature moon in the sky formed from the earth, which traps Naruto inside. However, Naruto breaks free of it, now in an Eight-Tailed form. Consumed in hate, Naruto prepares to completely let the fox free, but the Fourth Hokage appears and stops him.
Credits –
Animation Supervisor; Storyboard; Episode Director: Atsushi Wakabayashi (30, 71, 133 of Part I)
Screenplay: Yuka Miyata (159, 156, 153)

New ED
supercell - "Transient Fireworks"

Title for Next Episode:
Spoiler for kind of spoilerish...:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-01 at 11:18.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 03:05   Link #2
DarkHollowIchigo

Nice and early James.

Can't wait and see the 9-Tail rageeeee. How many tales will be revieled....

*off*: lol James, you rather watch Medabots?! Was this episode so bad, mehhh.
Old 2010-07-01, 05:56   Link #3
mageormike
Resident Gaijin

Nice animation for this battle. Thought the big move Pain threw out at the end was much more impressive than the manga version.

Makes you wish the Orochi Maru vs Naruto battle was this impressive instead of the massive drag-out fest that it turned out to be ^_^;;
Old 2010-07-01, 06:05   Link #4
neshru

To all the people bitching about Sakura not getting her own ending... there, you got what you wanted.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 06:21   Link #5
EoT
~~

Amazing episode!

OST was really good throughout the whole episode.

Felt pretty weird though seeing all those elements thrown all over the place though hahah! and the kyuubi looked pretty ugly compared to the other version we have seen.

The animation seemed quite similar to the Sasuke VS Naruto fight in part one actually.
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 06:44   Link #6
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoT View Post
The animation seemed quite similar to the Sasuke VS Naruto fight in part one actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Credits –
Animation Supervisor; Storyboard; Episode Director: Atsushi Wakabayashi (30, 71, 133 of Part I)
Even the key animators should be the same for the most part.
Old 2010-07-01, 07:58   Link #7
Danish78
Thread Lurker

Pein owns!!!!!!! What's up with that ending?
Danish78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 08:37   Link #8
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

love this episode the only drawbacks was some of peins faces he makes in the fight and the colour of the kyyubi when it emerges from the rock but the animation was alot better than i thought it would be

Why oh why cant they keep this kind of animation thoughout the series, for some of the fights it feels like a lottery or something concerning the kind of animation each fight receives
Old 2010-07-01, 08:40   Link #9
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

-Oh my dear God. This is just...unbelievable. As entertaining as the whole fight was, I could not take it seriously. It felt like I was watching a Tom&Jerry cartoon from the early days, mixed in with some Road Runner and Daffy Duck for some spice. I will give the animators some credit though, 6-Tailed Naruto hammering in Pain like a nail was very satisfying, even though it was completely nonsensical. But I suppose you had to stretch out the fight somehow since if you followed the manga, the fight would have been over in 5 minutes. So to sum up, the episode had horrid animation but was entertaining enough to warrant a looksee.
Old 2010-07-01, 08:41   Link #10
Jehuty

Spoiler for Rant incoming. Lots of swear words and nerd raging!:

Whew... Sorry for that fanboy nerd rage, but now I feel better.

But seriously, Naruto is a giant cash cow, and to give its fans the middle finger by allowing this sort of animation is just inexcusable. If only it was done the same way the opening was...Seriously with all the money they make they should easily be able to accomplish this.
Old 2010-07-01, 08:57   Link #11
DarkHollowIchigo

Hahaha, omg this episode was a win!!
Old 2010-07-01, 09:02   Link #12
TyG3R

Pain is so damn awesome , fighting one on one like that with Kyuubi (well , i read manga , but i'm too enthusiast).
Old 2010-07-01, 09:20   Link #13
inspirations365

My thoughts:
The animation was done in the same manner as the Sasu-Naru fight in Part 1. I remember how jarred I was seeing the animation in that, but understand now why it was necessary. Honestly, I did like the animation style of the previous episode (which was just like the Hidan fight) more, but that sure wasn't going to stop me from enjoying this episode. I mean how can you complain? NO FLASHBACKS! Oh, okay, that small one from Sakura, but that doesn't really count.

I did wish there was more dialogue between the Kyuubi and Naruto, but that would have detracted from the action, which I like more, so I guess that's my tradeoff.

BTW, Pein rock/ice skating was hilarious. I did laugh when he got hammered too. Some may call it silly, but it really made me take time and think of how much that would hurt. That and the time he got his head caught in the cliff.

Finally, for me, Kyuubi tails are like Six-Flags: More tails, more fun! Although 9 is too many. If Naruto sustains heavy damage from 4 tails....wtf is he supposed to do to heal from 8?
inspirations365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:45   Link #14
dickdatduck
(ﺧ益ﺨ)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
But seriously, Naruto is a giant cash cow, and to give its fans the middle finger by allowing this sort of animation is just inexcusable. If only it was done the same way the opening was...Seriously with all the money they make they should easily be able to accomplish this.
If you don't like the art in this episode that is understandable but the animation was amazing.
dickdatduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:53   Link #15
defrule

I actually thought I was watching a fan-made video.
defrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 09:58   Link #16
neshru

Quote:
I think you don't realize that this single episode probably costed them like an entire season of normal episodes (nothing but super awesome/famous animators worked on this episode). Yeah, it's too bad that anime noobs like you can't appreciate just how awesome this episode was, but don't despair, it will take 100 episodes before getting another episode like this.
Old 2010-07-01, 10:05   Link #17
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

I find most of the anime-only watcher enjoy this more than complaining over and over again. If you don't want to get disappoint then don't have high expectation at first. The whole animation and art thing is getting more annoying than ever. For me, i enjoy all of the episodes and seriously don't find a problem with it.
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 10:09   Link #18
Kakosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdatduck View Post
If you don't like the art in this episode that is understandable but the animation was amazing.
I second you. First time I saw the art of Naru-Sasu fight in part one (same idea as this one) I was like "WTF with the character design?" But, to be honest, the series needed something like this. Animation was extremely well done.

Now, regarding the events that happened in here, I believe they streched too much the endurance of Tendo Pain. I mean, the idea is that if you TOUCH the Kyuubi, you burn yourself, right? There are some inconsistencies there, but again, an awesome episode with a lot of action.

Shibaku Tensei also seemed much more impressive in the manga. It is because in the episode you cannot see very well that the small peaks below the "moon" are actually mountains...
Kakosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 10:10   Link #19
Jehuty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I think you don't realize that this single episode probably costed them like an entire season of normal episodes (nothing but super awesome/famous animators worked on this episode). Yeah, it's too bad that anime noobs like you can't appreciate just how awesome this episode was, but don't despair, it will take 100 episodes before getting another episode like this.
Sorry, but no.

I can buy a giant turd that would cost me a million dollars -- and it would STILL be a turd.

The animation may have been fluid, but it was still horribly paced. the art was horrible. The fighting sequences were horrible. Just like the Naruto / Sasuke fight, where Naruto somehow pretends to be a missile / torpedo? No. How about the deformed faces? Yeah, that's a no, too.

Again, giant turd, a million bucks, etc etc.

[edit] I wonder, does anyone know what the fan reactions in Japan were for the Naruto / Sasuke fight? Are there any polls about this episode? I'm just curious more than anything.
Old 2010-07-01, 10:21   Link #20
neshru

Quote:
The animation may have been fluid, but it was still horribly paced. the art was horrible. The fighting sequences were horrible. Just like the Naruto / Sasuke fight, where Naruto somehow pretends to be a missile / torpedo? No. How about the deformed faces? Yeah, that's a no, too.
Right. You keep despairing about it, I'm gonna rewatch the whole thing for the 20th time and write a love letter to the animators when I'm done

I may not worship fucking fictional characters, but I definitely worship these amazing animators.

Tags
weekly episode discussion