AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-03-31, 18:02   Link #2721
bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nobody ever said indoctrination required constant close-range exposure, but let's count:

ME1: Shepard was rather close to sovereign during the final battle.
ME2: Shepard spend quite a long time in the collector ship, the collector base, a dead reaper and was exposed to Object Rho for two days straight.
ME3: Lots of reaper-tech salvaging and close encounters with reapers throughout the entire game.
True, it hasn't been stated outright but all the previous cases of indoctrination were after constant close range exposure like Saren, Matriarch Benenzia and the Cerberus scientists who investigated the derelict Reaper. I'm not sure how long it takes for indoctrination to kick in but I don't think that two days is enough time
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 18:02   Link #2722
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Spoiler for spoilers:

I can see why a lot of people would want to accept the indoctrination theory but for me it just makes as little sense as the existing endings.
What about the fact that some of the Protheans were indoctrinated? It at least shows that the VI is not full proof.
Old 2012-03-31, 18:35   Link #2723
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
True, it hasn't been stated outright but all the previous cases of indoctrination were after constant close range exposure like Saren, Matriarch Benenzia and the Cerberus scientists who investigated the derelict Reaper. I'm not sure how long it takes for indoctrination to kick in but I don't think that two days is enough time
Exactly. It hasn't been stated outright. That hole in our knowledge is enough to make the indoctrination theory itself viable. If Bioware says "you don't need constant exposure, you just need to get close to a reaper once for them to start the process" then we're game.

Point in case to support the theory, the illusive man. His indoctrination was started far before the events of ME2 after coming into contact with an object Rho-like artifact for a few minutes, half an hour tops. It's that event that gave him his eyes.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 18:49   Link #2724
bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Exactly. It hasn't been stated outright. That hole in our knowledge is enough to make the indoctrination theory itself viable. If Bioware says "you don't need constant exposure, you just need to get close to a reaper once for them to start the process" then we're game.
Hmm, seems like a last minute thing to me if Bioware does that but whatever works I guess.
Old 2012-03-31, 19:05   Link #2725
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
What about the fact that some of the Protheans were indoctrinated? It at least shows that the VI is not full proof.
What about it ?

The prothean empire encompassed many other spacefaring species so in any realistic scenario you can hardly expect the protheans to veto EVERY single one of them with a VI while fighting a centery long war of attrition besides that it if you want to make assumptions its not a stretch to assume that the tech to detect indoctrination was developed late in the cycle and incorporated into the beacons as some kind of last ditch fail safe.

What is established in game is that the VI could tell Kai Leng was indoctrinated meaning it was capable of detecting indoctrination and yet it didn't detect Shepard as being indoctrinated which makes it pretty clear that he/she wasn't.

Regarding the actual indoctrination process itself it WAS stated in ME1 by an asari scientist on Virmire that indoctrination takes a fair period of time usually "several days to a week" of exposure to sovereigns signal to physiologically break a person with "subtle whispers you can't ignore, that compels you to do things without knowing why" while it doesn't mention how close specifically if you look at points in the game where people have been indoctrinated such as the derelict reaper or the arrival asteroid base it took a good deal of time in close proximity to reaper tech before the people became indoctrinated.

For example the Cerberus scientists on the derelict had the time to set up an outpost/base throughout the internal structure and then study the reaper and dragon teeth before contact was lost and in Arrival the people who found out about the alpha relay through the reaper beacon had enough time to formulate a plan, acquire assets and build a base and giant engines on an asteroid before finally being turned right before they where about to see their plan through.

Besides the two day that Shepard was unconscious during the arrival he/she was never in proximity to reaper tech for any prolonged period of time.

The indoctrination theory is the equivalent of poring a bowl of alpha bits cereal and picking out words, its just people trying to make the best out of a bad situation by reading too much into plot holes and bad writing.

Last edited by Drake; 2012-03-31 at 19:17.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 19:39   Link #2726
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Have you watched the youtube videos regarding this theory?

Like I said, I'm tired of hating the ending. Though imperfect, the Indoctrination theory is still a better construct than what we get at face value at the end, because if you weigh it, there is more proof for the theory than against it. This way, I can focus my energy elsewhere instead of spewing out hate words in the internet. Unless of course, you want to hate. Because if somehow the theory came to make better sense than what you watched in the ending, you can't hate anymore.

Quote:
The indoctrination theory is the equivalent of poring a bowl of alpha bits cereal and picking out words, its just people trying to make the best out of a bad situation by reading too much into plot holes and bad writing.
And why is that so bad? First of all, if one is complaining about plot holes and inconsistency, why use information coming from the same source to deny a fan-made interpretation? Sure, they're selectively ignoring things, but they do so to be able to sleep better at night. Imo it's better than to selectively ignore things so you can remain hating it.
Old 2012-03-31, 19:53   Link #2727
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Finished ME3 last night.

After 110 hours combined with that character, making decisions all along the way that I thought would hold repercussions along the entire game, it came to a close of "choose one of three endings" whcih are actually the same, they just change the colour overlay of the characters...

Seriously?

I can put up with the bat shit and insane endings as in they doesn't make a lick of sense but three choices were all I got?

I would have preferred the ending to have been pre-chosen based on my actions to that point. Give me some reason to want to replay the game. Not just get booted back to the mission before the final confrontation with a plain as day promise of inbound DLC...

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 19:59   Link #2728
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm tired of hating the ending, too, but I agree that the indoctrination theory is stupid. It's not as stupid as the ending taken at face value, though.

Like that earlier video said, really, everything was fine up until the blue god kid showed up. Cut that douchenozzle out of the game and rework the final moments and we could have something suitable for Mass Effect.
Old 2012-03-31, 21:44   Link #2729
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
What about it ?

The prothean empire encompassed many other spacefaring species so in any realistic scenario you can hardly expect the protheans to veto EVERY single one of them with a VI while fighting a centery long war of attrition besides that it if you want to make assumptions its not a stretch to assume that the tech to detect indoctrination was developed late in the cycle and incorporated into the beacons as some kind of last ditch fail safe.

What is established in game is that the VI could tell Kai Leng was indoctrinated meaning it was capable of detecting indoctrination and yet it didn't detect Shepard as being indoctrinated which makes it pretty clear that he/she wasn't.

Regarding the actual indoctrination process itself it WAS stated in ME1 by an asari scientist on Virmire that indoctrination takes a fair period of time usually "several days to a week" of exposure to sovereigns signal to physiologically break a person with "subtle whispers you can't ignore, that compels you to do things without knowing why" while it doesn't mention how close specifically if you look at points in the game where people have been indoctrinated such as the derelict reaper or the arrival asteroid base it took a good deal of time in close proximity to reaper tech before the people became indoctrinated.

For example the Cerberus scientists on the derelict had the time to set up an outpost/base throughout the internal structure and then study the reaper and dragon teeth before contact was lost and in Arrival the people who found out about the alpha relay through the reaper beacon had enough time to formulate a plan, acquire assets and build a base and giant engines on an asteroid before finally being turned right before they where about to see their plan through.

Besides the two day that Shepard was unconscious during the arrival he/she was never in proximity to reaper tech for any prolonged period of time.

My point was that there could be a potential reason why the VI could not detect Shepard's possible indoctrination.

And we really don't know the details of full detail on indoctrination so there are some rooms in the possible explanation.

Personally I think indoctrination is wrong and there is noway that Bioware thought this much. But there is one detail that makes me question it, the fact that Anderson was shot and the gun wound is on Shepard instead of Anderson. That one incident makes me wonder if there is really more to the ending than we think. I would just be happy if Bioware decides to redo the entire Earth mission.
Old 2012-03-31, 21:54   Link #2730
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
there is noway that Bioware thought this much.
Personally, this alone is enough to doubt the theory, lol.

Bioware has made inexplicable plot holes and inconsistencies before, like in Dragon Age.
Old 2012-03-31, 23:10   Link #2731
bones

Quote:
My point was that there could be a potential reason why the VI could not detect Shepard's possible indoctrination.

And we really don't know the details of full detail on indoctrination so there are some rooms in the possible explanation.

Personally I think indoctrination is wrong and there is noway that Bioware thought this much. But there is one detail that makes me question it, the fact that Anderson was shot and the gun wound is on Shepard instead of Anderson. That one incident makes me wonder if there is really more to the ending than we think. I would just be happy if Bioware decides to redo the entire Earth mission.
Uhh no he was shot by one of those Reaper turned turian things on the way to the beam of light that transported him to the Citadel.
Old 2012-03-31, 23:28   Link #2732
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Personally, this alone is enough to doubt the theory, lol.

Bioware has made inexplicable plot holes and inconsistencies before, like in Dragon Age.
Huh really? I can't remember a particular plot hole from Dragon Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Uhh no he was shot by one of those Reaper turned turian things on the way to the beam of light that transported him to the Citadel.
She was not shot in the stomach area though, instead Marauder or Marauder Shields, which is what most people like to call it at this point, got her in the shoulder.
Old 2012-03-31, 23:29   Link #2733
Alchemist007
*Author

ed: ninja'd. Here's a comic

Old 2012-03-31, 23:33   Link #2734
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
ed: ninja'd. Here's a comic

Lol Kai Leng. The only time I was happy to do a renegade interrupt with a paragon Shepard was when I killed him.
Old 2012-04-01, 00:28   Link #2735
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Producer, assemble your team.

Spoiler for Team:

*RUUUUUUUUUNS*
Spoiler for Delusionary Selection:

Emperor forbid, my delusion ended up mirroring real life.
Old 2012-04-01, 00:46   Link #2736
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Huh really? I can't remember a particular plot hole from Dragon Age.
Spoiler for spoilers of Dragon Age 2 ending...:

Not being able to stop it and ride off into the sunset isn't a plot hole... it's intentional.

The problem with DA2 is that people were fooled by DAO, which is not dark fantasy, but essentially a Lord of the Rings rehash. When they were introduced to the far grimmer Kirkwall setting, where your choices didn't really impact very much at all, despite how powerful Hawke became... in a way, DA2's story and characters are closer to reality and not fantasy ideals, so they felt less epic and less heroic. DA2's overall tone suggests that this is "working as intended."
Old 2012-04-01, 00:59   Link #2737
Alchemist007
*Author

This one just wishes that it was just Mass Effect and not Mass inEffective.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:27   Link #2738
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Let's admit that I didn't really notice this myself nor did I care to check, but there was some talk about DAO Awakening couldn't have been canon because of a timeline discrepancy. Which could've been avoided by making the time gap after Hawke's arrival in Kirkwall longer than, 2 years was it? But enough of that for now, it's oot.

On the topic of ME. How does one be a good Vanguard? How do you use the biotic charge? I seem to die everytime I use it. I always play as an Infiltrator or Sentinel and recenly Adept. Btw, has the biotic combos always present? I don't recall using them in ME2.
Old 2012-04-01, 01:41   Link #2739
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
On the topic of ME. How does one be a good Vanguard? How do you use the biotic charge? I seem to die everytime I use it. I always play as an Infiltrator or Sentinel and recenly Adept. Btw, has the biotic combos always present? I don't recall using them in ME2.
1. Being a Vanguard in ME3 involves always being alert and aware of your surroundings along with enemy positions - you always need to keep in mind where enemies are so you can charge them when needed. Vanguards are like sharks: you can't stop moving. Biotic Charge replenishes shields when used, and thus if your shields drop your only recourse is to... well, charge. Basically, charging is the only way you survive, and thus you need to make sure you can use Charge as often as possible, which means keeping your power recharge meter above +170%.

There will be situations when charging would be suicidal, like in the presence of Sentry Turrets, in which case using your weapons and other abilities like Shockwave and Pull would be prudent. But for the most part, Charge + Nova combo should own the battlefield if you're quick on your feet and adaptable. I clear out levels with my Vanguard faster than I could with a Soldier or Infiltrator.

2. Biotic Explosions were present in ME2, but you could only perform them by using Pull, Shockwave, Reave or Lift on someone, then using Warp to detonate. ME3 allows you to make Biotic Explosions using a larger variety of abilities and combos.

Here's a good list on which powers setup and detonate Biotic Explosions in ME3, along with Tech combos:

ME3 Wikia: Power Combos

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 01:47   Link #2740
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I played Soldier.

Just keep pouring it on them, they'll go down eventually.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, games, mass