AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-11, 19:47   Link #1
kitten320

Question Hard to explain...

Hey everyone! I just finished Aria series and now I feel like watching something similar... By similar I don't mean a slice of life show though it can be one too. I'm more searching for a show where you have group of friends who are studying or working part time together but then comes the day when they have to say goodbye to each other, like for example graduation.

I want to see this sad and happy feeling of parting with at least one extra episode to see what everyone else are doing now. Would be even better if they actually met again. But most importantly I want to see a string bond of friendship.

The closest I've seen are:
Angel Beats - not exactly what I want but close. Though relations weren't developed that well there.
Clannad - too much focus on Tomoya and Nagisa though
GTO - when Onizuka left. Not that strong but will do.
K-ON!! - second season had the graduation factor.
Maria-Sama Ga Miteru - when some of upper class people graduated.
Ano Hana - guess that counts too.

Out of all Aria did the best job since it had deep exploration of the bonds what made you really care for them and sad when time came.

Is there anything at least a bit close to that?

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-02-11 at 20:02.
Old 2012-02-11, 19:52   Link #2
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well my most recent suggestion would be Hana-Saku Iroha and Ano Hana. Not a whole lot of anime deal with the days after since they usually try to wrap up the story in a concrete ending as opposed to life goes on.
Old 2012-02-11, 20:07   Link #3
kitten320

^Heard about Hana series, might give it a try then.

Well it's not a must to follow events afterwards as long as it has a well developed friendship.
And by developed I mean something very close that could bounder on relationship lands. If its two guys or girls than close friendship that could be with special googles taken to yuri/yaoi land.

I know it might sound weird when I put it like that... I don't need yuri/yaoi/relationship, just really close friendship which could be mistake for something else.
Another good example could be Ga-Rei Zero.
Old 2012-02-11, 21:12   Link #4
mecharobot

There was a time when I was searching for another Aria too. I didn't find it.

I guess you could watch something like Haibane Renmei. It's been long since I watched it, but as I recall it was something like Angel Beats in terms of concept, but with a more of a fantasy setting. Maybe Sora no Oto as well, but don't get you hopes too high.

If you don't mind a romantic guy-girl one, then perhaps Kobato.
Old 2012-02-11, 22:13   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I want to see this sad and happy feeling of parting with at least one extra episode to see what everyone else are doing now. Would be even better if they actually met again. But most importantly I want to see a string bond of friendship.
I don't think of it as being similar to Aria, but Nodame Cantabile has this in spades. The original supporting characters have cameos in the sequels as well.
Old 2012-02-11, 22:29   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Honey and Clover
Quote:
Takemoto Yuuta, Mayama Takumi, and Morita Shinobu are college students who share the small apartment. Even though they live in poverty, the three of them are able to obtain pleasure through small things in life. The story follows these characters' life stories as poor college students, as well as their love lives when a short but talented 18-year-old Hanamoto Hagumi appears.

I'd naturally second Haibane Renmei. Shouldn't be a surprise, given my signature (courtesy of Ganbaru).
Quote:
It is...a spiritual and emotional journey that artfully plays on timeless themes of salvation, meaning, purpose, love, loss, and trust. In many ways it is a metaphor for our own experience: We come into this world from some unknown place, and try to figure out why we're here. Along the way, we have to say goodbye to people we love, knowing not where they are going, but certain that soon enough we ourselves will be following them, and having never really understood what anything was all about. And yet, we somehow find a meaning in all the confusion and sadness. I think that's what this series is about.

- theskeptic, Amazon.com review
Old 2012-02-12, 05:53   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Hanasaku iroha is perfect and I definitely second Honey & Clover. Also recommend Birdy Decode, Cowboy Bebop and Planetes but only Planetes is has that "working life" setting that you're looking for.
Old 2012-02-12, 06:10   Link #8
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Maybe I'll recommend A Channel : the 2011 12-episode slice of life TV anime follows a strong bond of friendship between four girls. It's funny, but it has few sad scenes.
Spoiler for the end:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Closed Thread