AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 13 14.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 36.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 24.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-15, 12:15   Link #221
Destined_Fate

Well, I know that Amy loves her brother, was the first to accept Ledo, doesn't judge Ledo, is very nice, helps Ledo understand the culture of the world, isn't offended by some of the heartless things Ledo unintentionally says even about her brothers, does a ton of deliveries thus everyone knows her, helps out Ledo with everything, has close friends that tease her, she is extremely reliable, can use the kite to fly very well, she loves to have a good time, she can dance, tries to teach Ledo to swim, makes it known when she doesn't like something such as Ledo's living conditions, clearly has a crush on Ledo, and the such.
Old 2013-05-15, 14:27   Link #222
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Well, I know that Amy loves her brother, was the first to accept Ledo, doesn't judge Ledo, is very nice, helps Ledo understand the culture of the world, isn't offended by some of the heartless things Ledo unintentionally says even about her brothers, does a ton of deliveries thus everyone knows her, helps out Ledo with everything, has close friends that tease her, she is extremely reliable, can use the kite to fly very well, she loves to have a good time, she can dance, tries to teach Ledo to swim, makes it known when she doesn't like something such as Ledo's living conditions, clearly has a crush on Ledo, and the such.
Exactly, she doesn't have a darker side at all. She also doesn't seem to have much in the way of character flaws in general. She's a pure genki girl, only without any of the common flaws held by the archetype (she's not pushy, she's not particularly airheaded/oblivious).

We never see her conflicted. We never see her really challenged. We never see her melancholic. She never complains for her own sake, but only out of moral consideration every once in a while. She's just constantly bubbly and good-natured and supportive.

When I raise Gen, it's not because I expect everything with his name attached to it to be "dark". But I do expect a certain heft to his writing. I expect his characters to have some real depth and complexity to them, because his more important characters typically do.
Old 2013-05-15, 14:56   Link #223
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

TBH, Gen does seem to have some issues with pacing in general.
Spoiler for Madoka Magica Comparison:

Spoiler for Comparison to Psycho-Pass:

So...I kind of agree that Episode 5 seemed a bit superfluous given the events of 6, which was overall much more meaningful to me. If they had saved 5 for an OAV or something, then this story would actually be moving close to the normal schedule.

I also agree that I really wish they would've talked about Amy and co's backstories, or at least as much about them as necessary. But now that one of Gen's plot twists seems to be materializing, I have to wonder if he may be gearing up for a kill-em-all ending after all. The characters may make us feel good, but they don't have a lot of substance to them...so it won't hurt for too long if they die like ants.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-16 at 11:23.
Old 2013-05-15, 15:06   Link #224
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Gen's pacing is actually one of his strongest aspects. His stories don't have sudden rushed endings like we often see in so many anime. Psycho Pass is a good example, it would've been too easy to have gone off in a blaze of glory in that show, but he didn't and made sure everything flowed logically and sensibly to the very end.
Old 2013-05-16, 04:59   Link #225
hai_san

Or perhaps we are all wrong and Gen is making his first very normal slice of life anime ?

I know chances are low but who knows?
Old 2013-05-16, 08:20   Link #226
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Or perhaps we are all wrong and Gen is making his first very normal slice of life anime ?

I know chances are low but who knows?
With that last scene in this episode I have to doubt that. If it was just a fakeout, that would be criminally bad storytelling.
Old 2013-05-16, 08:38   Link #227
LKK

^^ I don't think that last scene shows us a Hidxxx. I think it's a whale squid that Bellows mentioned during the festival dinner. My reasoning goes back to a speculation I made weeks ago in the Speculation thread. I speculated that when the humans left Earth, they took with them an assortment of plants and animals to help establish a viable colony. While in space, the plants and animals mutated and evolved into the Hidxx. I think the whale squid is an evolutionary ancestor to the Hidxx but isn't a Hidxx yet. My guess is that the Hidxx's Earth origins will be episode 7's reveal.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-05-16, 08:50   Link #228
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
With that last scene in this episode I have to doubt that. If it was just a fakeout, that would be criminally bad storytelling.
Most people here think that that was just one of those giant squids that was mentioned by Bellows before. A close relative of the Hideauze but not threatening to humanity.

A "false alarm" wouldn't be bad writing at all, it's been used successfully in many famous works. Though I must admit that if there is a "false alarm" there must be a "real alarm" in the future.

We already had a combat scene at the start of the series and then another during the pirate attack. It's safe to assume that there will be more of those, but so far it doesn't seem that they'll be the main focus of this series.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-05-16 at 09:07.
Old 2013-05-16, 11:12   Link #229
Diveman

My only complaint about the series so far is that well, these 2 last episodes haven't really said much or helped develop the story. Sure Ledo is learning some new stuff, but so far I can' really see where this series is going other than "slice of space-life" more or less. I do enjoy the character development Ledo is going through, but it still feels like not much is happening.

Even the "implied" villans got owned in a matter of seconds.

Also, I read Gen was only involved in the script for episode 1 while the rest aren't being done by him.
Old 2013-05-16, 11:31   Link #230
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveman View Post
Also, I read Gen was only involved in the script for episode 1 while the rest aren't being done by him.
This is relatively common practice in the industry. He's the Lead Writer and did the broad Story Planning, but other writers work on the screenplay/script for some of the individual episodes. This is basically a way of spreading the workload. I guess it's a bit different than some of his previous anime where he was more directly involved in the screenplay/script for every episode, but the Story Planner typically is still coordinating the broad direction of the plot and what needs to happen in each episode.
Old 2013-05-16, 20:37   Link #231
Birdway
Banned

The show never lied about its contents.

Guys its your own fault, didn't Urobuchi said he wish to write a kid's show?

Let the guy be and don't step on the way of a writer's creativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This is relatively common practice in the industry. He's the Lead Writer and did the broad Story Planning, but other writers work on the screenplay/script for some of the individual episodes. This is basically a way of spreading the workload. I guess it's a bit different than some of his previous anime where he was more directly involved in the screenplay/script for every episode, but the Story Planner typically is still coordinating the broad direction of the plot and what needs to happen in each episode.
Wasn't this the same for Railgun anime series?
Those script writer aren't there just for show in the credits.
Old 2013-05-16, 21:35   Link #232
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
The show never lied about its contents.

Guys its your own fault, didn't Urobuchi said he wish to write a kid's show?
No he never. But in any event, Urobuchi made comments about Madoka Magica that were designed to mask or be ironic about the overall aim/tone of that show. So you shouldn't blame people for not taking everything Urobuchi says at face value given his track record.

So no, it's not our "own fault". Some of us have good reasons for being disappointed in some of the recent content of this show.
Old 2013-05-16, 23:49   Link #233
Gravitas Free Zone

Or, he may have masterfully trolled everyone again... by telling the truth?
Old 2013-05-17, 00:25   Link #234
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I think he might be half right. It probably won't be nearly as dark as most of his material, but with last week's cliffhanger, I still think the second half of this show will be a bit more interesting than the first. Not that the first hasn't held my interest, especially in a "daww" sense.
Old 2013-05-17, 11:48   Link #235
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No he never. But in any event, Urobuchi made comments about Madoka Magica that were designed to mask or be ironic about the overall aim/tone of that show. So you shouldn't blame people for not taking everything Urobuchi says at face value given his track record.

So no, it's not our "own fault". Some of us have good reasons for being disappointed in some of the recent content of this show.
He did, actually.

Urobuchi only lied about Madoka which was a very special project (we weren't supposed to know he was involved) and nobody bought it anyway so he had no reason to attempt to pull that off again. Once instance shouldn't have be enough to turn into him the boy who cried wolf. He and the staff had no reason to lie about Gargantia, and they haven't. It may not be your fault but it certainly isn't his either.
Old 2013-05-17, 16:44   Link #236
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Exactly, she doesn't have a darker side at all. She also doesn't seem to have much in the way of character flaws in general. She's a pure genki girl, only without any of the common flaws held by the archetype (she's not pushy, she's not particularly airheaded/oblivious).

We never see her conflicted. We never see her really challenged. We never see her melancholic. She never complains for her own sake, but only out of moral consideration every once in a while. She's just constantly bubbly and good-natured and supportive.

When I raise Gen, it's not because I expect everything with his name attached to it to be "dark". But I do expect a certain heft to his writing. I expect his characters to have some real depth and complexity to them, because his more important characters typically do.
Eh.

Not everyone needs a darker side, she's a young and bright girl. It's not like she has anything in her life to make her darker as she's happy. Now if **** hits the fan than she will have a reason.

As of right now giving her a darker side or past would be too forceful as it isn't needed.

She seems quite challenged when it comes to Ledo from what I've seen and hasn't really been able to tell him how she feels because she's human and is confused. After all, falling for the guy that fell from the sky who had kidnapped her earlier? Yeah...
Old 2013-05-17, 18:03   Link #237
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
... So why do people keep bringing up this quote about Gen saying that this show is for young adults on the verge of entering society (i.e. leaving high school, presumably) or those that have just entered into society?

That's not "kids". "Kids" are those 14 and under.

Quote:
Urobuchi only lied about Madoka which was a very special project (we weren't supposed to know he was involved) and nobody bought it anyway so he had no reason to attempt to pull that off again.
Wouldn't that actually give him a reason to try to pull it off again?

Quote:
Once instance shouldn't have be enough to turn into him the boy who cried wolf.
It's enough so people shouldn't be faulted for not taking what Gen says at face value. He may or not be lying. He may or may not be spinning things.

Quote:
He and the staff had no reason to lie about Gargantia, and they haven't.
Don't you think that's an awfully presumptive statement for you to make at the one half mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Eh.

Not everyone needs a darker side,
If a character doesn't have a darker side, then that character at least needs some real character flaws, imo. What character flaws does Amy have?

Quote:
she's a young and bright girl. It's not like she has anything in her life to make her darker as she's happy.
What about her brother's condition? That's not exactly something to be happy over, is it?

Quote:
As of right now giving her a darker side or past would be too forceful as it isn't needed.
I strongly disagree. Amy having a darker side would make her a much more well-rounded, well-developed, believable and interesting character.

Quote:
She seems quite challenged when it comes to Ledo from what I've seen and hasn't really been able to tell him how she feels because she's human and is confused. After all, falling for the guy that fell from the sky who had kidnapped her earlier? Yeah...
You gotta be kidding me, dude. Amy and Ledo's relationship has been as smooth as it possibly could have been. She hasn't been challenged at all when it comes to Ledo. She has adapted very quickly and effectively to him, and has managed to influence him tremendously in only a few episodes.
Old 2013-05-17, 19:10   Link #238
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
It's enough so people shouldn't be faulted for not taking what Gen says at face value. He may or not be lying. He may or may not be spinning things.
So you don't trust Gen Urobuchi but you feel entitled to be disappointed if your expectations of what you think he's going to do in spite of what he says aren't met?

Old 2013-05-17, 19:35   Link #239
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

TLDR: It's damn near impossible to tell where this show will go, or what exactly is going through the mind of the piece of work known as Gen Urobuchi.

I still think that the cliffhanger at the end of 6 means that if you thought the first half of this show was lame, you'll be much more pleased with the next half. At this point the show's reception could go either way.
Old 2013-05-18, 11:35   Link #240
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
... So why do people keep bringing up this quote about Gen saying that this show is for young adults on the verge of entering society (i.e. leaving high school, presumably) or those that have just entered into society?

That's not "kids". "Kids" are those 14 and under.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. The show for kids isn't Gargantia but a completely different thing. Not sure why it was brought up in the first place, but it's a good indication Urobuchi is trying to branch out as a writer.

Quote:
It was just one time. We shouldn't distrust everything he says just because of that. It's pretty sad to be branded a liar just because you attempted to mislead people once. I'll keep assuming he was telling the truth until proven otherwise.

Quote:
Don't you think that's an awfully presumptive statement for you to make at the one half mark?
We're already half-way through the series and it's been exactly as Urobuchi said it would be. Furthermore, I see no indication there will be a drastic change of tone. Why should I think otherwise?