AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-08-30, 07:17   Link #19201
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Haruki's bangs = part below the band thingie. Which is what's actually giving me most of the Itsuki vibe, as they look like a shorter version of his hair.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 07:34   Link #19202
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Haruki's bangs = part below the band thingie. Which is what's actually giving me most of the Itsuki vibe, as they look like a shorter version of his hair.
Oh, then I used the wrong word. However, I don't quite agree with you. is somewhat similar to Itsuki's hair, but I don't even ought about him when I saw this image..

Also, thanks for including the wholle legs... However, now I think it might be a problem if we need show him full body with uniform but not at school(due to the indor shoes). However as he is probably not 'going school' anymore after Day5, it shouldn't be a problem.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 08:40   Link #19203
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
You will hate me if I say he makes a good pair with Yuki right?

Thinking on that now, I don't really think Yuuki and Kyonko make a good pair... Probably because I haven't read a genderbend Disappearance yet.
Theoretically, they'd still make a good pair, since the whole point of Yuki's personality change in Disappearance was to become what Kyon wanted. Of course, the question would be what exactly would Kyonko want Yuuki to become...
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 08:42   Link #19204
Binjovi
Artist

Send a message via AIM to Binjovi
Thanks for the good words, guys. Glad to know I'm doing my job well enough.

One of my philosophies regarding seitenkan is that the gender-reversed characters should always give the impression visually of the canon character that they were based on. The reason for this is simple. If you make a gender-switched character, base some part of their personality on the original, and make them look unrelated to the original, you've basically just made an original character. Since males and females in anime generally have different basic facial structures and eyes, one of the things that can remain (mostly) constant is the hair. This is great because the hair in anime is typically one of the major defining features of a character. And so, yes, my Haruki's hair is, for the most part, a shorter version of Haruhi's. The same applies for all of them.

As for the Itsuki bangs... Yeah, you can partially blame danchou for that. But to be honest, the way I have it here, it looks better then if it were just coming straight down. It'll probably look a lot less like Itsuki once the dark brown hair color and bright yellow hairband colors are applied.

Quote:
Also, thanks for including the wholle legs... However, now I think it might be a problem if we need show him full body with uniform but not at school(due to the indor shoes). However as he is probably not 'going school' anymore after Day5, it shouldn't be a problem.
I had this same thought while I was drawing him. Every character will be drawn in their indoor shoes by default (excluding Imouto, Otouto, and any character in street clothes). The indoor shoes are easy to draw and are the same for all characters, while their outdoor shoes are different from person to person. When it is decided that a character will be shown full body outside of school, then I'll make a copy of the sprites needed, but with the shoes changed as that should be fairly simple to do.
Binjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 09:02   Link #19205
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binjovi View Post
Thanks for the good words, guys. Glad to know I'm doing my job well enough.
You really don't need to worry about it

Quote:
One of my philosophies regarding seitenkan is that the gender-reversed characters should always give the impression visually of the canon character that they were based on. The reason for this is simple. If you make a gender-switched character, base some part of their personality on the original, and make them look unrelated to the original, you've basically just made an original character. Since males and females in anime generally have different basic facial structures and eyes, one of the things that can remain (mostly) constant is the hair. This is great because the hair in anime is typically one of the major defining features of a character. And so, yes, my Haruki's hair is, for the most part, a shorter version of Haruhi's. The same applies for all of them.
You are right. I only found weird until realize Haruhi hasthe same hair style. It isn't, either, as that style is girly. Now uo have mentioned it, Is funny how most artist do not draw like that.

Quote:
I had this same thought while I was drawing him. Every character will be drawn in their indoor shoes by default (excluding Imouto, Otouto, and any character in street clothes). The indoor shoes are easy to draw and are the same for all characters, while their outdoor shoes are different from person to person. When it is decided that a character will be shown full body outside of school, then I'll make a copy of the sprites needed, but with the shoes changed as that should be fairly simple to do.
You are right. No need to worry about it now. Just a thought I had when I saw the image. Anyway, you probably wouldn't need to make a copy of the sprite, to save space, I believe a transparent image of the shoe would be better. So we past over the image. This could also be done for any other small feature that might be or not with the character (say, Nagatos's glasses, if they come back for any reason).

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-30 at 19:21.
Old 2009-08-30, 12:01   Link #19206
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
God, I'm just going to have a total fangirl moment here--that hair is fucking amazing. I want to molest it.

...Although, I'm not really sure how one goes about molesting hair...

...See? It's shit like this that makes me a bad fangirl. This is why I usually don't venture out of my fanboyism.
Old 2009-08-30, 12:06   Link #19207
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Binjovi - When it comes to reminding people of the "normal gender" character that the gender-bended character is based off of, your picture is probably the best gender-bended picture I've seen. When it comes to facial structure and hair, you can definitely see how key elements of Haruhi have been retained in the translation over to Haruki. Actually, when it comes to facial structure and body posture, this picture really resonates Haruhi's personality through Haruki. Very nicely done.
Old 2009-08-30, 12:08   Link #19208
Binjovi
Artist

Send a message via AIM to Binjovi
Quote:
You are right. No need to worry about it now. Just a thought I had when I saw the image. Anyway, you probably wouldn't need to make a copy of the sprite, to save space, I believe a transparent image of the shoe would be better. So we past over the image. This could also be done for any other small feature that might be or not with the character (say, Nagatos's glasses, if they come back for any reason).
The problem with that is size. If we want Mikuru to wear some cute little sandals or something, they're going to be smaller than the indoor shoes. So, when you place them on top, you'll still see the indoor shoes underneath. We could just cut the sprites into pieces, however, and then just stick them together that way. Actually, that would probably be the best way to do it. In any case, I think we need to write up a design document so that we'll have a level of continuity between everyone's work.
Binjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 12:30   Link #19209
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
More stuff:

Spoiler for large image:
Hmm, he looks ... very youthful. Younger than usual. I like it.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 13:38   Link #19210
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
More stuff:

Spoiler for large image:
As everyone has already stated, this is incredibly awesome. The hair, the expression...it's all perfect for Haruki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
God, I'm just going to have a total fangirl moment here--that hair is fucking amazing. I want to molest it.

...Although, I'm not really sure how one goes about molesting hair...
Do I need to show you the many doujinshi that clearly show how one goes about this? Most of them seem to involve Haruhi with a ponytail and Kyon with bad judgement, but I'm sure there are some involving Haruki. Those would probably be more about Haruki commiting, uh, unspeakable acts towards Kyonko's hair, though...
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 13:52   Link #19211
Heatth

Quote:
The problem with that is size. If we want Mikuru to wear some cute little sandals or something, they're going to be smaller than the indoor shoes. So, when you place them on top, you'll still see the indoor shoes underneath. We could just cut the sprites into pieces, however, and then just stick them together that way. Actually, that would probably be the best way to do it. In any case, I think we need to write up a design document so that we'll have a level of continuity between everyone's work.
Nice thinking. Yeah, that would be the better way to save space (and, it seens that game will need it ). So, if you and the other artists can do it, it will probably be good to make the game in a reasonable size.

This can also be used for faces and for the arms, they offen change while the main body still the same right? Also, maybe, the hair, at last for who has a change on it middle game (a ponytail Haruhi? Also, I believe Kaisos said something agout Haruki losing his hair band).

PP:
Just make sure to have all the images at same size(not file size, the image size). With each piece placed where it is suppose to be. So it is easy to mount on the script.
Old 2009-08-30, 21:22   Link #19212
Nanao-kun
ナナオーくん

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/0...-haruhi-novel/

New Haruhi novel? Hopefully it provides us with the answers we seek.
Old 2009-08-30, 21:38   Link #19213
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Yeah. I'm excited.
It's being talked about over in the Novel & Manga thread.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 22:17   Link #19214
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scify View Post
Theoretically, they'd still make a good pair, since the whole point of Yuki's personality change in Disappearance was to become what Kyon wanted.
The problem with that is I think that Kyon doesn't know what he wants...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 23:57   Link #19215
CanadaAotS
Manly Picnic

Send a message via MSN to CanadaAotS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikariNiwa View Post
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/0...-haruhi-novel/

New Haruhi novel? Hopefully it provides us with the answers we seek.
He's "preparing" to write the tenth novel. Leave it to Sankaku Complex to sensationalize it
CanadaAotS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 00:49   Link #19216
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAotS View Post
He's "preparing" to write the tenth novel. Leave it to Sankaku Complex to sensationalize it
Hey, when we were promised the 10th novel three years ago, a little sensationism doesn't hurt.

But then, Artefact does like to sensationalize a lot of things...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 00:59   Link #19217
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Hey, when we were promised the 10th novel three years ago
"I'm a little sick of hearing about this 'three years ago' crap"
"... Three years ago..."

... What?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-31, 01:02   Link #19218
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One day...about a year and a half from now.'

Itsuko: "Three years ago...."

So. Many. Uses.
Old 2009-08-31, 01:22   Link #19219
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
The problem with that is I think that Kyon doesn't know what he wants...
True enough... else Disappearance wouldn't have worked as a story. *Insert that quote here about knowing what you want and getting it that I'm currently too sleep-deprived to remember properly*

Referring back to that shipping discussion that was going on earlier: despite being something of a Yuki fanboy, I don't really like any of the Kyon pairings for the normal universe outside of Haruhi and Kyon. He puts Mikuuru on a pedestal a bit too much, normal!Yuki is... well, an alien, he's too aware of the change for Disappearance!Yuki, and Itsuki isn't gay. Oh, and I feel like Kyon wouldn't be all that interested in self-proclaimed NPC Fang-tan.
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 01:29   Link #19220
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Actually... Tsuruya would probably be #2 on his list. I mean, she's Haruhi minus the drawbacks.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan