AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 73 56.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 29.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 6.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 3.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.54%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.77%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-16, 16:51   Link #21
GUTB_

Something tells me she isn't going to die -- Light left some major loopholes open to keep her from comitting suicide, and she's in the OP, right? She's important.

But for being so smart, paranoid enough to not give out her real name and having such advacned knowledge of Kira's capabilities -- to think she would just hand out her name to a stranger like that. Just unbelievable.
Old 2006-11-16, 17:34   Link #22
xfuture

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-16, 17:49   Link #23
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTB_ View Post
Something tells me she isn't going to die -- Light left some major loopholes open to keep her from comitting suicide, and she's in the OP, right? She's important.

But for being so smart, paranoid enough to not give out her real name and having such advacned knowledge of Kira's capabilities -- to think she would just hand out her name to a stranger like that. Just unbelievable.
Well, yeah, light left loopholes in how she died, but he's already proven someone will die of a heart attack if the method of death cannot be followed through. So let's say there's some way she is unable to kill herself for whatever reason, her heart will give out. Let's face it, the girl's dead.

Spoiler:

Now, as for all the complaints of Light being too evil or bastard-ish, I have this to say. Good and evil are completely relative. All religious beliefs, all political philosophies, all morals you ever had ingrained upon you are subjects which are open to debate. Let's think of it this way for a moment: The world is already overcrowded, and some of those people crowding the world are making the world a worse place to live in than it already is. If one does not let one's emotional self interfere with judgment here, and leave your decision entirely up to logic, it makes complete sense to kill off these people. We just don't like it because we wouldn't want someone with a deathnote passing judgment on us, and because we begin to pity those who are killed. It's our (good) emotional side that doesn't like Light, not our logical side. The FBI agents Light killed because they were a hinderance to his mission, as he stated (at least in the manga) that if the investigation went on too long, he may come under suspicion. If Light came under suspicion, he would no longer be able to do his duty, and if he were to be placed under suspicion then, chances are there'd be a lot more people to kill if he were to get out of it and continue working towards his goal of ridding the world of evil. Naomi Misora was also, obviously, someone who could have prevented him from seeing the end of his "noble goal." These people are now just collateral damage who got in the way of trying to get rid of people who, in all reason, should probably be gotten rid of.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not going to endorse the killing of anyone in real life, the afore mentioned (good) moral side that exists within (most) people prevents me from doing so with a clean conscience. However, in a work of fiction, I feel that it's alright to judge with logic and not emotions when it comes to death. Say what you will about Light being evil, it really makes no difference. Hero or villain, sympathetic villain or anti-hero, he is doing that which is (in the world of Death Note) logical.

...I will admit to him having a God complex, but that's what makes me love his character.
Old 2006-11-16, 18:38   Link #24
GUTB_

Killing the FBI agents was completely pointless -- he had a rational motive for killing Naomi, as she posed a real threat to him, but Ray was completely harmless and Light knew that Ray didn't suspect him. If he let Ray live all that would have happened is that Ray would have reported that Light wasn't suspicious and that would be that. But Light went out of his way and put himself in grave danger to just so that he could kill them, and boy was he mightly pleased with himself after the fact. He was just Evil Glee Boy when he wasted Naomi, no contrition, no conflicting emotions, he was so happy he could't help but mock her on her way to grave.

And was it mentioned that the victim will die of a heart attack if impossible conditions of death were mentioned? I only remember that impossible pre-death conditions wouldn't happen, and if no specific cause of death is speified it was heart attack. So if it was: "Die while standing in the middle of the Atlantic ocean", you would die of a heart attack, but not in the middle of the ocean. So, if it was: "Go to a place only she and Ray knows and comit suicide," you will go to such a place and comitt suicide -- but if you try and suicide and someone stops you, will you die of a heart attack anyway?
Old 2006-11-16, 18:52   Link #25
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
Talking

Quote:
Killing the FBI agents was completely pointless -- he had a rational motive for killing Naomi, as she posed a real threat to him, but Ray was completely harmless and Light knew that Ray didn't suspect him. If he let Ray live all that would have happened is that Ray would have reported that Light wasn't suspicious and that would be that. But Light went out of his way and put himself in grave danger to just so that he could kill them, and boy was he mightly pleased with himself after the fact. He was just Evil Glee Boy when he wasted Naomi, no contrition, no conflicting emotions, he was so happy he could't help but mock her on her way to grave.

And was it mentioned that the victim will die of a heart attack if impossible conditions of death were mentioned? I only remember that impossible pre-death conditions wouldn't happen, and if no specific cause of death is speified it was heart attack. So if it was: "Die while standing in the middle of the Atlantic ocean", you would die of a heart attack, but not in the middle of the ocean. So, if it was: "Go to a place only she and Ray knows and comit suicide," you will go to such a place and comitt suicide -- but if you try and suicide and someone stops you, will you die of a heart attack anyway?
Yeah, you'd die of a heart attack anyways I think, 'cause the method of death specified would have become impossible. And yeah, Light's pleased with himself when Naomi goes off to die, but he just accomplished something that one can suspect he viewed as being difficult. He's probably proud of himself for it. I think he's already at the point where he views the human world as a battle among bugs: They can all be stepped on at any time, yet they all try to live despite their insignificance. He's just a bug that's found a way to step on all the others, and let's face it, if you see a spider eating a mosquito, d'you immediately think that's wrong? Nah, I have a tendancy to be pleased that there's one less little annoyance in the world to bite me and suck my blood. I'm pretty sure Light views himself as the spider. Take the hard focus off the world, that's all we really are, isn't it? Insignifcant specks fighting among eachother about equally pointless issues.

...And here I am, on an anime message board saying this. oo;;; Hm. That makes me a hypocrite, doesn't it?
Old 2006-11-16, 19:00   Link #26
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
She's dead.
The rest of the instructions are along the lines of "thinks up the best way to commit suicide that she can without bothering other people so that her body won't be discovered, dies in 48 hours".
Spoiler for Light writing down Naomi's name and method of death:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Old 2006-11-16, 19:02   Link #27
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure22 View Post
...And here I am, on an anime message board saying this. oo;;; Hm. That makes me a hypocrite, doesn't it?
Hah!

I'm eagerly waiting for a sub to enjoy the episode to its full extent.
Old 2006-11-16, 20:03   Link #28
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
She's dead.
The rest of the instructions are along the lines of "thinks up the best way to commit suicide that she can without bothering other people so that her body won't be discovered, dies in 48 hours".
Not only that, but they added the extra scene of 'Her' walking up the lil' stairs that appear at the end of the episode. Thats there just to show.. if you missed what Light wrote down, you'll know where she's heading.
Old 2006-11-17, 05:55   Link #29
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Spoiler for Ep.17:
Old 2006-11-17, 08:14   Link #30
Elyson
DragonBleaPiece!

Send a message via AIM to Elyson
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-17, 09:28   Link #31
Trax
Rock beats scissors

On one hand, I can kinda understand that she got emotional and caved in, but on the other hand it just feels a little too convenient especially for a former FBI agent. She was determined to talk to L first but when Light came with that offer she suddenly changed her mind? Suuuuuuure.
Old 2006-11-17, 10:21   Link #32
Forever
Revealing the truth

Another fabulous ep. There was lots of tension building up there.

But still i prefer for this arc, I seem to prefer the movie one than the anime as it seems to be more realistic.
Old 2006-11-17, 10:29   Link #33
juri_miki
Death Note Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to juri_miki Send a message via AIM to juri_miki
The episode just aired, but I'm not sure if it's still considered a spoiler though.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-17, 10:56   Link #34
Vicequaizer

...Okay, I'm assuming that a lot of people haven't seen it with the subtitles, because a lot of the stuff that people are debating are answered if you knew what they were saying.
First of all, don't think that Naomi was just stupid and easily revealed her real name to Light, because it isn't like that.
People might have forgotten, but Light is one HECK of a genius, probably one of the smartest person in Japan...Naomi herself was very smart too, but in the end the smarter one one.
It wasn't that Naomi was dumb and Light got her easily.

As for the episode...man, I don't know what but Naoko Matsui totally got me.
I wasn't exactly a fan of Naomi in the manga, and probably disliked her in the movie...but in the anime, even knowing what is going to happen to her, I was praying for her to be fine.
Misa is going to have to do quite a lot win back her throne as my "personal favorite female Death Note character".
Old 2006-11-17, 11:45   Link #35
Vicequaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juri_miki View Post
Spoiler:
It wasn't a "random guy", but a guy who she was quite assured to be the son of the chief of Kira investigation group.
It isn't like he lured her outside, but was just taking a walk to kill some time so that when she returned, a member would've been back.
He also never tried to convince her NOT to go back there, but just told her that the investigation members won't be at NPA.

As for the receptionists...well, there is only so much they can do.
Someone tells them that s/he has info about a suspect, but the guys in charge are not responding to the call.
The receptionist offers to send a message to them, but she absolutely refuses, and only wants to tell it in person.
Receptionists aren't capable of forcing her to stay forever waiting for a member they aren't sure when they are coming back.

Lastly, returning to FBI wouldn't have necessarily helped the cause, as after the deaths I believe FBI told L that they won't be interfering with Kira anymore...so getting back her job wouldn't have done any good.
Also, no one except Watari knows how to contact L (atleast, I thought so), so she can't contact L herself no matter what.
Knowing for a fact that L is going to be sniffing around the Kanto area of Japan and the fact that the incident occurred in Japan as well makes it more efficient to attempt to contact L through the Japanese police.
Old 2006-11-17, 12:05   Link #36
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Naomi is pretty isn't she? =D.

Anyway I like this episode. Really nicely pulled out.

The soundtrack is really good too, can't wait to hear the OST.

BTW, I don't get the significance of this, both in the manga when I read, and the anime..
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-17, 12:58   Link #37
juri_miki
Death Note Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to juri_miki Send a message via AIM to juri_miki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicequaizer View Post
It wasn't a "random guy", but a guy who she was quite assured to be the son of the chief of Kira investigation group.
It isn't like he lured her outside, but was just taking a walk to kill some time so that when she returned, a member would've been back.
But knowing that KIRA was in that section of Japan and had a link to the police, EVERYONE is, automatically, considered a suspect. IRL, what Light had done, would have been hella' suspicous in itself. I'm surprised that Naomi didn't even think that he was trying to hit on her at first.

Also, even if he was the SON, she still didn't know that he was apart of the investigation. Even if she had retired from the FBI, it's only been 3 months. She should have known better than to tell all that to some random stranger, especially when any of those random strangers could have been Kira.

Quote:
He also never tried to convince her NOT to go back there, but just told her that the investigation members won't be at NPA.
Umm...yes he did. He asked why is she going back to there even after he told her that she would have had no luck. Not only that, but he was, obviously stalling. The closer she got to the building, the more he was shooting off at the mouth until he finally revealed at the end that he was apart of the investigation. Any REAL investigator would have taken her upstairs. She should've known that much. She should've especially realized that when Light didn't even recognize the receptionist at the front.

Quote:
As for the receptionists...well, there is only so much they can do.
Someone tells them that s/he has info about a suspect, but the guys in charge are not responding to the call.
Unless it's different in Japan, normally witnesses are considered suspects, well where I live they are. Even if no one from that department is not there, then I'm sure they're not the only people working in that building. Someone else from a different department would've brought her upstairs. There is someone working above Yagami, and even though most of the investigators have quit the investigation, there's still no way that someone would have let a potential witness/suspect just walk out of the building like so. At least they would've pressed for her information and/or had her wait somewhere else.

Quote:
Lastly, returning to FBI wouldn't have necessarily helped the cause, as after the deaths I believe FBI told L that they won't be interfering with Kira anymore...so getting back her job wouldn't have done any good.
Also, no one except Watari knows how to contact L (atleast, I thought so), so she can't contact L herself no matter what.
Maybe she couldn't, but if she went back to the FBI, she would have had more resources at her disposal then she does as someone who isn't working for them. She may not be able to contact L, directly, but she would've had a better chance of contacting Watari considering that she HAD worked with L before. If she had given Watari that info, at least, I know that there's a way to get in contact with him, then she would've definitely gotten to L. Or, going back to the FBI, she could've told them what she had learned and had info that would've helped to catch the person who killed all 12 of those agents, plus their superior.

Quote:
Knowing for a fact that L is going to be sniffing around the Kanto area of Japan and the fact that the incident occurred in Japan as well makes it more efficient to attempt to contact L through the Japanese police.
But being with the FBI, her getting in contact with them then, would have probably been a little bit more successful.
Old 2006-11-17, 13:43   Link #38
kauldron26
Med Student

wow... wow... wow... wow... not since monster have i ever been in such suspense
Old 2006-11-17, 14:18   Link #39
EragonJeriel
heh

He shoulda say keep quiet and i ll let u go..... she was hot too
Old 2006-11-17, 14:19   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Wow I can't remember a show where I've wanted a character (Light) to get killed off this badly. Which would be hard since he's the main character. But seriously the guy is about as twisted and disturbing as you can get. I really don't think this is about justice anymore, more like being about covering his tail and having fun killing people.

The first time he thought she had given her name he was completely interested in seeing how she'd die. The guy just gets kicks out of killing people, he's way worst than any of the criminals that are in jail or dead now. He's just out to kill people for fun and become some sort of god. Going on to tell her who he was, is going overboard. He didn't need to do that for any justice reason, he just got a thrill out of seeing the horror in her eyes. It's just too depressing to see nice people getting killed off just so this guy can get a thrill.
Closed Thread