AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 333 89.52%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 6.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 1.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 0.54%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.08%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-12, 22:01   Link #21
mandarb916

One of the few 10s (might be only?) I've given in both Clannad and Clannad AS.

Was looking forward to this part being animated the most out of all the scenes in the game and I have to say it was a really amazing episode and really hits a homerun on one of the concepts of family. I think it's going to be hard to top this episode in the remaining...6(?) episodes.
Old 2009-02-12, 22:45   Link #22
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
LOL so the only thing Akio Akki can teach is baseball...

禁則事項です
Old 2009-02-12, 23:04   Link #23
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Spoiler for ep 18:
Old 2009-02-12, 23:06   Link #24
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Wow. Amazing episode.

Almost got a tear from me. Almost. I never cry about anything, but this came fairly close.

Like everyone said, the moment when Ushio called him papa, that was the climax.

I can see why people say the essence of Clannad is in After Story. Amazing art, development, voice acting. 10/10. Whoever gave 1/10 is a big-fat-troll.
Old 2009-02-12, 23:19   Link #25
Yushi

Hollly snap, I watched this episode 3 times and I cried 3 times!! I didn't think these kinds of scenes would get me like that...especially since Ushio only appeared for the 2nd episode O_O But her relationshp with Tomoya was already so ...so well developed and clear...that's why the climax was so touching. Ushio's voice actor is amazing *_*

And I gotta say, Ushio is so well-behaved XD
Old 2009-02-12, 23:34   Link #26
envyitachi89

Spoiler for Preview:

Dango!
Old 2009-02-12, 23:58   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
No 10 no cry, but I certainly would not disagree with the sentiment put forth by most here. Clannad is the type of series that explores it's core theme quite well when it really gets down too it. I'll take this type of episode over the wacky comedy episodes that dominated the first seasons non-character arc climax episodes and the first half of this season any week of the month. I'll also take good drama over this shows style of comedy every time as well.
Old 2009-02-13, 00:28   Link #28
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
This was an episode and plot sequence I've been looking forward to and KyoAni did not disappoint in the least. It was worth the wait to see this animated. It was perfectly directed, acted, animated, you name it. In fact, KyoAni actually improved upon the sequence from the visual novel by virtue of the medium. A perfect adaptation of an amazing moment in an amazing story.

It certainly doesn't hurt that this episode contains the best singular moment to be found in that visual novel. In turn, it is the best episode in either series to date by far. I cannot see them topping this (Key certainly never did). You are quite possibly heartless if you've been watching the series and this episode doesn't get to you. (No offense to Kaioshin, who never really got into this franchise to the degree probably required to get emotional here.)

An easy ten in my book.
Old 2009-02-13, 00:42   Link #29
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

KyoAni's design for Okazaki Shino seems to be a bit thinner than the KEY take.

This episode reduced me to tears the moment when Shino makes that one sincere request to her grandson about telling Naoyuki that his job is done. It crushes me to see her hitting the nail on the board about what her grandson has to do, as it is painful to me to see a grandmother in her remaining days to still have such intense concerns over her child and grandchild.

I don't want to speculate on how painful it actually is for Sanae to tell her grandchild that she can only cry in a bathroom or in her father's arms. I can only say that Ushio has been incredably lonely for the last few years of her life, and that having Tomoya assume his responsibilities is the best for everyone. To imagine what the corrospondance between Sanae and Shino would've entailed makes me feel ever more sober than before.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-02-13, 01:29   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I just never really felt the need to cry. To me it's not that kind of scenario.

Spoiler for Comparison with a non-anime show and reference to this episode:

I hope that clears up why I come across as a heartless bastard a little.
Old 2009-02-13, 01:32   Link #31
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Dammit, I cried twice in this episode...
Spoiler:
Rewatching the episode!

This was bar-none: THE. BEST. EPISODE. SO. FAR!
(Out of all two seasons.)
Old 2009-02-13, 05:17   Link #32
Nikkan

Still no sub?
Old 2009-02-13, 05:18   Link #33
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
This one episode made me cry more than all sad anime I. ever.watched

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Old 2009-02-13, 05:45   Link #34
darry

just amazing how much better this Anime gets every week
Old 2009-02-13, 05:48   Link #35
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
This one episode made me cry more than all sad anime I. ever.watched
Except it wasn't really even sad, it was actually one of the first kind of uplifting and optomistic episodes in a while by the end of it all. The only scene that I found remotely qualifies as cry worth was

Spoiler:

Anyway, I guess I could end this sentence off in a unique way and offer some comfort if people really feel like crying for whatever reason.

Um...there there? *hands out the virtual tissues*

P.S: Yes, I realize that part of discussing this anime is in claiming how much it makes one cry and trying to top one another in this regard, but I just don't see the point is all. To me it's just not that kind of episode and the emotion strikes me as inappropriate. I'd rather save it for the right moments should it ever come. I guess I'll just have to be known as that one heartless guy who did not cry during this episode. And really it looks like I'm probably going to be the only one the way it's going. Meh....whatever, I guess it just proves once again that I view and react to this show a lot differently then everyone else.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-02-13 at 06:20.
Old 2009-02-13, 05:56   Link #36
SidVicious
Anime addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
Still no sub?
Subs are out now.
Old 2009-02-13, 06:33   Link #37
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
P.S: Yes, I realize that part of discussing this anime is in claiming how much it makes one cry and trying to top one another in this regard, but I just don't see the point is all. To me it's just not that kind of episode and the emotion strikes me as inappropriate. I'd rather save it for the right moments should it ever come. I guess I'll just have to be known as that one heartless guy who did not cry during this episode. And really it looks like I'm probably going to be the only one the way it's going. Meh....whatever, I guess it just proves once again that I view and react to this show a lot differently then everyone else.
Hyperbole is part and parcel of the internet.

That said, I am very satisfied as a player of the game version. They surely preserved the tear valves. I kinda wept.

SWITCH ON! *Watches Kleenex sales skyrocket*
Old 2009-02-13, 06:40   Link #38
OmegaPhlare
The Romanticism

This was the most beautiful episode of CLANNAD I've seen. My heart was filled with joy and then I let out a small laugh as two tears escaped my eyes. Miracles!
Old 2009-02-13, 06:41   Link #39
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

I guessed to myself the reason for her stubberness over the toy was because it was from he dad......but the scene where he started remembering Nagisa, it was the 1st ever time i've felt choked up over something on TV, then again, never watched something along this genre line before either
Old 2009-02-13, 06:45   Link #40
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Hyperbole is part and parcel of the internet.

That said, I am very satisfied as a player of the game version. They surely preserved the tear valves. I kinda wept.

SWITCH ON! *Watches Kleenex sales skyrocket*
Just call me a tougher sell then I suppose. By the looks of it though I'm going to be not only the one person who didn't cry during this episode, but the only serious person who thought this episode was very good instead of flat out perfect. My goal wasn't initially to stick out like a sore thumb though.
Closed Thread