AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 10:20   Link #681
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I think so, but IIRC his power went out of control once in early volumes. I haven't read that far because I can't stand keep seeing bad things happen toward the protagonist(same reason I can't stand denyuuden lol)
No, that occurred before the events of the stories. It was mentioned in the flashback.

Quote:
I like intriguing politics, not to mention that after Hagure Yuusha, I'm completely sick of overpowered characters who are too lazy to put in any real effort even in fighting.
I would only recommend Hagure purely for action and ecchi. That said, the MC's power gets considerably moderated later on. For one his father is still far, far stronger than him. His brother is probably too. In the latest volume, he was only barely able to beat the Student Council President.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 11:12   Link #682
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Don't we all have one of these at home?

Nice

Umm no, I don't have any place left on my bookshelf I keep my manga and light novels in boxes
Old 2012-09-21, 12:59   Link #683
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

At least you have boxes....Mine is piling up on my desk. Meaning I have to dust them quite often.

KCG is new? Then where does Enterbrain publish their novels before this?
Old 2012-09-21, 13:06   Link #684
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Nice

Umm no, I don't have any place left on my bookshelf I keep my manga and light novels in boxes
Same here. All Otaku stuff in large plastic container boxes in my home. My shelves are used for English non-fiction books. Though apr's shelf ain't enough for me. Since I've been collecting manga (Chinese ones at first) for more than 15 years since middle school.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 13:45   Link #685
whsie

lol, my shelf is different. 4/12 of my shelf is stuffed with manga, comic, etc. The shelf is deep enough to dual layer it. 3/12 of my shelf is filled with DVDs. 2/12 of my shelf is filled with wuxia novels (Gulong and Jinyong). 1/12 of my shelf is for fantasy novels like Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. 1/12 of my shelf is filled with history books and PC games. The last 1/12 of my shelf is filled with a variety of sports and personal development books.

Speaking of recs, I would also recommend Successor to the Sword Saint, which only has two volumes out now.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 14:38   Link #686
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
At least you have boxes....Mine is piling up on my desk. Meaning I have to dust them quite often.

KCG is new? Then where does Enterbrain publish their novels before this?
Yeah somewhat new, it started in October 2011 Enterbrain mainly publishes its male oriented light novels under the "Famitsu Bunko" light novel label, which is a label that started a long time ago (1998), and now KCG Bunko joins in, but Famitsu Bunko is still a "bigger" label, in the sense that there are more light novels published under the "Famitsu Bunko" label each month than the newer "KCG Bunko" label.

Around 7-10 light novel volumes are published under Famitsu Bunko each month:
http://ranobe-mori.net/label/famitsu-bunko/

Around 2-3 light novel volumes are published under KCG Bunko each month:
http://ranobe-mori.net/label/kcg-bunko/

These are the light novel labels Enterbrain currenly publishes:

Famitsu Bunko (male oriented light novels)
KCG Bunko joins in to be the second male oriented label they publish.

B's-LOG Bunko (female oriented light novels)

Ahh also most (currently maybe all) of the anime adaptations of Enterbrain's light novels are from the Famitsu Bunko light novels.
Old 2012-09-21, 15:48   Link #687
Mechatrill

I recently found an interesting series named "Ore ga Heroine o Tasukesugite Sekai ga Little Mokushiroku". I actually found the manga version of this before I decided to take a look to see if there's a light novel of it.

Basic premise is that the main character, on his birthday, awakens a family bloodline trait of sorts, where he gets caught in other "stories". Immediately, the stories he gets caught in are:
1. His childhood friend is pursued by a mysterious mage that wants to force her to become his wife
2. While trying to help his childhood friend escape, he meets an alien girl trying to get out of an arranged marriage to another alien warlord
3. In mid-transit, he gets summoned as a "hero" by a mage girl from a fantasy kingdom. The kingdom is under attack by the Demon Lord, and the girl is about to get executed for her failure to summon a hero and a friendly fire incident.

Yes, it's a harem series, but it's not that bit that got me interested, actually. What I found interesting is how the main character resolved those problems. He himself is just a normal guy, fate/destiny dragging him around aside, so he doesn't actually have any kind of power or anything. Thus, rather than confronting those problems via brute force, he instead use his brain and utilizes what he encounters in each "story" as an outside context problem to solve the problem in a different story.

Spoiler:
Mechatrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 20:18   Link #688
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Yeah somewhat new, it started in October 2011 Enterbrain mainly publishes its male oriented light novels under the "Famitsu Bunko" light novel label, which is a label that started a long time ago (1998), and now KCG Bunko joins in, but Famitsu Bunko is still a "bigger" label, in the sense that there are more light novels published under the "Famitsu Bunko" label each month than the newer "KCG Bunko" label.

Around 7-10 light novel volumes are published under Famitsu Bunko each month:
http://ranobe-mori.net/label/famitsu-bunko/

Around 2-3 light novel volumes are published under KCG Bunko each month:
http://ranobe-mori.net/label/kcg-bunko/

These are the light novel labels Enterbrain currenly publishes:

Famitsu Bunko (male oriented light novels)
KCG Bunko joins in to be the second male oriented label they publish.

B's-LOG Bunko (female oriented light novels)

Ahh also most (currently maybe all) of the anime adaptations of Enterbrain's light novels are from the Famitsu Bunko light novels.
I see....

actually no. Kagerou Days / Project LN is KCG. Was why I got into that bunko's stuff actually.

Famitsu seems to have the most stuff actually of all the bunkos....pity most of their old stuff is now had to find on shelves other than special orders.
Old 2012-09-21, 22:16   Link #689
TJP1600
小桃姑娘

Quote:

Spoiler for large image:
So jealous....I can't even display the few I have like that, too much of a closet otaku.
Old 2012-09-23, 13:20   Link #690
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:

Jesus cryst.. I wish!

Btw, good choice on the 560 GTX.
Old 2012-09-25, 03:19   Link #691
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechatrill View Post
I recently found an interesting series named "Ore ga Heroine o Tasukesugite Sekai ga Little Mokushiroku". I actually found the manga version of this before I decided to take a look to see if there's a light novel of it.

Basic premise is that the main character, on his birthday, awakens a family bloodline trait of sorts, where he gets caught in other "stories". Immediately, the stories he gets caught in are:
1. His childhood friend is pursued by a mysterious mage that wants to force her to become his wife
2. While trying to help his childhood friend escape, he meets an alien girl trying to get out of an arranged marriage to another alien warlord
3. In mid-transit, he gets summoned as a "hero" by a mage girl from a fantasy kingdom. The kingdom is under attack by the Demon Lord, and the girl is about to get executed for her failure to summon a hero and a friendly fire incident.

Yes, it's a harem series, but it's not that bit that got me interested, actually. What I found interesting is how the main character resolved those problems. He himself is just a normal guy, fate/destiny dragging him around aside, so he doesn't actually have any kind of power or anything. Thus, rather than confronting those problems via brute force, he instead use his brain and utilizes what he encounters in each "story" as an outside context problem to solve the problem in a different story.

Spoiler:
I read the first vol, pretty interesting, but then I heard that every volume after that the three heroine in the first volume get disregarded? Devolve to person A, person B etc? And every vol there's three new heroine so.....that's a pretty big disappointment to me.

Quote:

*Bow Down*
Old 2012-09-25, 09:32   Link #692
Mechatrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
I read the first vol, pretty interesting, but then I heard that every volume after that the three heroine in the first volume get disregarded? Devolve to person A, person B etc? And every vol there's three new heroine so.....that's a pretty big disappointment to me.
Really? That's too bad... I've only read the Chinese translation of the first novel myself...

Still, I can't say I really care for the harem antics of this novel. I just don't find it all that unique or interesting, personally. So lowered focus on the first heroines in later volume isn't much of a deal breaker for me.

What I do find interesting is the MC using what he finds in the "stories" as outside context problems to deal with other "stories". That, I've found, is a rather unique method of handling a normal MC without having his battle harem do everything or changing him around completely via deus ex machina and level grinding...
Mechatrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 09:51   Link #693
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechatrill View Post

Spoiler:
That actually sounds really hilarious, although somewhat gimmicky.. I can imagine that sort of thing gets a bit tiresome after a while. Being a bit too counter-"meta" after all can be a bad thing.

So, considering my Japanese is terribad and I can't read anything that hasn't been translated at least partially (..yet) I was curious about what people recommended the most of the works on BT?

Never heard of "Heavy Object" before now, but the synopsis looks pretty shounen-esque. Kokoro Connect reminds me a bit of "Yamada & the 7 witches" ? Never really got into "Oreimo" .. not a moeblob fan myself.. "Kino no Tabi" seems interesting, but is missing middle chapters..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 23:41   Link #694
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
That actually sounds really hilarious, although somewhat gimmicky.. I can imagine that sort of thing gets a bit tiresome after a while. Being a bit too counter-"meta" after all can be a bad thing.

So, considering my Japanese is terribad and I can't read anything that hasn't been translated at least partially (..yet) I was curious about what people recommended the most of the works on BT?

Never heard of "Heavy Object" before now, but the synopsis looks pretty shounen-esque. Kokoro Connect reminds me a bit of "Yamada & the 7 witches" ? Never really got into "Oreimo" .. not a moeblob fan myself.. "Kino no Tabi" seems interesting, but is missing middle chapters..
heavy object is by the same author as the one who did index~
Well depends on what you would like to read on Bt, I would recommend Date a Live, lots of dialogue comedy
traditional adventure
light hearted comedy
Action/fantasy/magic/academy
Dictionary
Old 2012-09-26, 01:08   Link #695
larethian

Quote:

You have a total misconception of Oreimo, which is about the reconciliation story between 2 estranged siblings, there's nothing really moe-ish most of the time...... Though for me, the first 5 volumes were fantastic, but the later volumes weren't quite as good when it started dealing with romance 'issues' in ways not so appealing to me (or maybe it's just me.....).
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 01:41   Link #696
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

There's nothing traditionally shounen about Heavy Object; it's unique mecha series where the main protagonists isn't an ace pilot of the said mecha, heck he isn't even a pilot- but he uses his leet engineering skills to destroy those monster sized war machines. The setting isn't high school, but pure military.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 01:45   Link #697
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:

I like what the author of Kokoro connect is trying to do, but he's out of his depth -- he wants to write a heavy psychodrama like Bungaku Shoujo or KamiMemo when he should be doing something lighter like PapaKiki. However, if you're looking for something to practice Japanese on, KC's a good choice -- my Japanese isn't that good either, but I can get through paragraphs at a time without needing to look anything up.

I prefer LNs that focus on the psychology of the characters over plot mechanics. The two I'd recommend most highly are Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (duh) and Toradora. Just beware that we're waiting for the final volume of HakoMarie, so if you start now you'll end up with a cliffhanger that might not be resolved for another year. I'd also recommend Sayonara Piano Sonata, though it's not on BT (they do have the links though).
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 09:35   Link #698
willx
Nyaaan~~

Thanks for all the comments/advice folks!

@xBakaChanx - I might give it a try, although the time I have available to read is largely during lulls at work and on the commute.. The premise seems kind of cute though, and quite a bit silly

@larethian - Okay, I definitely did have a negative preconceived notion about it.. Mainly derived by all the comments I've read regarding teenage angst and "X is so cute! Who's he going to pick! Wincest!"-but the non-romance premise you describe does sound interesting.

@Chaos2Frozen - So after reading this comment, I went and read the first two volumes translated on BT, which I have to say I largely liked! Quite a bit actually! But, and there is a but, I have a bit of an issue relating to how cavalier people are treating all these near-death situations considering how "tame" war is supposed to have been during this time period. Part of Chapter 2 reminded me of the Normandy landings.. I'm waiting for post-traumatic stress disorder to set in.. Suspension of disbelief I suppose?

@Utsuro no Hako - Maybe when I have time I'll whip out the dictionary and take a run at KC, but you seem a bit mixed on the series? Hm, I watched the Toradora anime and was gnashing my teeth at it. Loved the part where Taiga goes nuts in the classroom, but other than that.. I'm genuinely frustrated by teenage angst, melodrama and indecision. I find it too hard to relate - maybe I'm too old now to remember my own melodramatic days
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 22:09   Link #699
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
So apparently I was reading a manga titled "Fukanzen Shinsei Kikan Iris" (不完全神性機関イリス) and after some prodding, found it was an LN adaptation illustrated by Kasukabe Akira (current profile as of which I knew as the mangaka of Evergreen). And I was pretty interested after reading the manga, anyone here have seen that before (the novels)?

Here's something related:

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 22:11   Link #700
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Assassin View Post
So apparently I was reading a manga titled "Fukanzen Shinsei Kikan Iris" (不完全神性機関イリス) and after some prodding, found it was an LN adaptation illustrated by Kasukabe Akira (current profile as of which I knew as the mangaka of Evergreen). And I was pretty interested after reading the manga, anyone here have seen that before (the novels)?

Here's something related:

It's related to this one, 氷結鏡界のエデン. Set thousands of years before the latter, if I remember it right.

Tags
light novels