AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-05-12, 20:33   Link #61
grecefar

He did get a lot of info in this loop, shadows have a weak point and a way to know who is a shadow and who isn't. He met an ally in Nagumo and know what is going to happen in the end and the final boss, now the mission is how to stop it.

There are 11 shadows, maybe kill them before the summer festival.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 20:42   Link #62
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Episode 5

Shadow Ushio got pulled back with Shinpei this time. I think it's the first time that's happened. If she'd been around on the 22nd there's no way she would have stayed away from everyone for three days given her attitude on the night of the festival.

If the mother's eyes allow the control of time, it is very possible that it/she now knows about Shinpei looping since they saw each other. We don't know if shadows are a hive mind or if they can even communicate over distance wirelessly/telepathically... but three days is more than enough time for the mother to just walk around the island and inform the other shadows to capture Shinpei and not kill him.

Sho's sister and that strange doctor guy both seem to know something about the larger happenings with the shadows. The sister seems especially involved given the comment about dirtying her hands! And why was there a melting shadow in a wheelchair?
Old 2022-05-12, 22:28   Link #63
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
Sho's sister and that strange doctor guy both seem to know something about the larger happenings with the shadows. The sister seems especially involved given the comment about dirtying her hands! And why was there a melting shadow in a wheelchair?
THIS is what I hoped someone would notice and was eluding to in previous discussion without hinting about it. I was suspicious of Tokiko from very early on. She appears in the promo vids. She was at the scene where Ushio was murdered. Then you don't see her at all until the night of the festival...You don't see her at the funeral, you don't see her around during the time Shinpei has returned. Not sure Sho even mentions her at all. The story intentionally makes you take next to no notice of Tokiko until what happens in this episode and concurrent chapter. Between Tokiko and the doctor, it's clear there are some giving the shadows assistance. As to whether some of them are still human is not known at this point. As for the shadow in the wheelchair...indeed...
Old 2022-05-13, 00:03   Link #64
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep5:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-13, 12:48   Link #65
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It really sucks that this show is in Disney+ jail because if it had been simulcasted normally on Crunchyroll, I'm pretty sure it would be one of the top 3 most popular anime of the season. Although to be fair, I guess it doesn't help that the show relies heavily on mystery and all the answers are just a few clicks away since the manga is fully translated. I myself am finding it harder to resist every week.
Old 2022-05-14, 10:59   Link #66
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

https://anitrendz.net/charts/top-anime/

Summertime Render is ranked seventh in their most recent chart, pretty remarkable for a series that no one outside Japan can watch legally. It's been on their lists for most of the past weeks as well.

I've seen too many one-cour series in the past few years. I keep expecting we're heading for a resolution in the next half-dozen episodes, but of course there's a whole 'nother cour yet to come.

I don't read manga, but if I did, I'd avoid reading this one. Trying to determine who is a real character and who is a Shadow works much better having the character models on the screen, at least for me.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-14, 11:40   Link #67
EroKing

I wouldn't really give a damn about Anitrendz lists, they are rigged. Shikimori topping the female character of the season list? Fuck no.
Old 2022-05-14, 12:28   Link #68
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
I wouldn't really give a damn about Anitrendz lists, they are rigged. Shikimori topping the female character of the season list? Fuck no.
Shikimori has surprising amount of fans, especially in Japan.

Quote:
I keep expecting we're heading for a resolution in the next half-dozen episodes, but of course there's a whole 'nother cour yet to come.
It is a 25 eps series and the manga is not that short.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-14, 20:05   Link #69
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I keep expecting we're heading for a resolution in the next half-dozen episodes, but of course there's a whole 'nother cour yet to come.
Fufufu, you have only defeated the weakest of the Elite Four, Shadow JK. There are still three of us left!

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-05-16, 22:48   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Catching up at this point. Ok...so was Ushio always an idiot? No thought about someone dead running around the festival in a swimsuit. Not even slightly. Now of course we are talking about a Shadow so maybe there's some inherent off-ness there, but even still... And I love how the message to protect her sister triggered a "I never said that" (which is of course interesting) and not a "oh god, my sister might be in danger." At least she stepped up in episode 5 when it mattered.

Of course to be fair...I'm getting the impression that no one is taking this situation seriously!At least when it comes to episode 4. Yeah, sure let's focus on whether it's proper to go to a festival after Mio's sister died or having this dude confessing to her. It's not like they came to this festival for a reason...or have crazy shadow people trying to kill them all!

There's a reason Mio is my favorite character in this show...besides being really cute. She's about the only one who responded to a shadow of her sister showing up with an appropriate reaction.

Episode 4 might actually be the worst episode so far. It at least got better by the end. Especially with the horrible realization that if his shadow can tell that he has the power to loop then the shadows will actually avoid killing him. Which is super bad. Dying is already bad, but being kept in a state where he can't die and thus can't try to fix this situation is even worse. Making dumb choices can happen. But it kind of felt Shinpei really earned the horror that he experienced here. Being this reckless against supernaturally powerful creatures justifiably cost him.

At least they learned that guns will definitely kill these things. Just that they are extremely durable so it's still a pretty rough situation.

Episode 5 was just plain better. Things really moved forward here. We get to see a lot from the 'boss show' and the entity that's above the boss shadow. I wish they could have learned even more. But frankly they are lucky that for some reason that guy didn't kill the lady with the gun and stop her from killing Shinpei. Thank you for stupid enemies!

There's a lot of interesting elements at play here. I'll be curious to see how things play out. Just on the (not as important right now) we've got the romantic thing that's a bit messy. Not sure what will happen with Shadow Ushio either. Will she go when all the shadows go or will there be some status quo maintained where she survives? Not sure.

Why does Shinpei have the 'mother's eye'? Well ok, we did get that moment at the start when real (I think) Ushio gave it to him. But I'm not even sure how that makes any sense. So, guess we'll see about it. At least Shinpei should be really paranoid about being scanned now.

Spoiler for Summer Time vs Higurashi and Re:Zero:

I'm definitely engaged with this show. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
I'm kind of with you there. Stopped following that after the last season. It just isn't essential for me anyways.
Old 2022-05-17, 04:23   Link #71
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Seriously, I thought there'd be more people talking about the author. Yoko Hikasa is utterly owning this role. That deadpan humour, out of damns to give attitude - she is exactly who needed to be voicing that character.

Given how his first two loops went, Shinpei did relatively well this time. He learnt the Shadows adapt but that they have a fatal weakness. He learnt that the author is a potential ally. Ushio is around (in some form) and can clearly lay down the smackdown. For as grim as things got at the end of that loop, there is hope. Wouldn't exactly want things to be either too easy or too forsaken.

Finally, the lyrics for the OP are spot on. Couldn't have picked a more fitting song to go with this show.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2022-05-17 at 04:47.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-19, 20:54   Link #72
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep6:

Old 2022-05-20, 17:09   Link #73
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was getting desperate so I downloaded some French subs which seemed to be from a legit group... and they were really good!

Spoiler for episode 6:
Old 2022-05-20, 20:46   Link #74
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Takes me back to the bad old days of 2009 or something waiting for K-On! or Bakemonogatari subs when fansubs are late. This Disney jail thing sucks.

This is one of the more interesting roles I've seen Yoko Hisaka in for a while.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-21, 03:03   Link #75
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I was seriously seriously afraid this manga would be let down by the anime. I am so glad it does not suck despite being Disney....
Old 2022-05-21, 08:46   Link #76
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did Disney have much to do with this show other than licensing it?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-21, 12:12   Link #77
grecefar

I was so relieve that hizuru saved alan and that shadows can be killed easly, not only that but now we are making some progress with shinpei but then again is only chapter 6 and there will be 25.

I can't be cheering just yet.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-21, 12:21   Link #78
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep6:
It's one of her many intriguing qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Spoiler for episode 6:
She is quite the package. Give her that out of damns to give attitude and she is elevated even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
This is one of the more interesting roles I've seen Yoko Hisaka in for a while.
Damn right. Feels like for almost a decade she was cast aside after being in numerous notable roles around 2010-2011. Kind of like how between Love Hina and Persona 4, Yui Horie was squandered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I was seriously seriously afraid this manga would be let down by the anime. I am so glad it does not suck despite being Disney....
Quote:
Aside from trying to keep it in jail until a full season airs? Who knows...Youtubers and the like certainly are trying to spread the word about what this series is accomplishing. Versus the manga already having a full and rapid omnibus release schedule via Udon Entertainment, finishing in September. Stray and I have both ordered the manga in full.

What really makes Episode 6 excel - as it did in this part of the manga - is how well it was constructed that Hizuru was able to do the things she did without Shinpei noticing but that when Shinpei was desperate to find her, he could. Seriously, Yoko Hikasa voices Hizuru so damn well, it's chilling. It's almost reminiscent of Maaya Sakamoto voicing Shiki Ryougi in Garden of Sinners in some ways, along with certain personality traits of Kirigiri from Danganronpa 1. The nature-laden scenery was delectable in this episode.

The one thing that is concerning me is the pacing. That said, Episode 6 covered considerably more than most previous episodes. I believe what should come in the next few episodes will allow it to continue to pick up the pace.
Old 2022-05-21, 18:53   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
What really makes Episode 6 excel - as it did in this part of the manga - is how well it was constructed that Hizuru was able to do the things she did without Shinpei noticing but that when Shinpei was desperate to find her, he could. Seriously, Yoko Hikasa voices Hizuru so damn well, it's chilling. It's almost reminiscent of Maaya Sakamoto voicing Shiki Ryougi in Garden of Sinners in some ways, along with certain personality traits of Kirigiri from Danganronpa 1. The nature-laden scenery was delectable in this episode.
About that, I actually find it a bit hard to buy Shinpei never heard about the commotion she caused at the funeral. It was a pretty damn big deal.

Another thing I love about Hizuru is that even though she always tries to appear calm and collected, she's actually quite emotional. She was burning with anger when she realized the one standing in front of her was a Shadow and not her childhood friend, and later openly cried.
Old 2022-05-21, 22:39   Link #80
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I dunno, just that Disney is infamous for the amount of control it exerts over its properties

Quote:
Aside from trying to keep it in jail until a full season airs? Who knows...Youtubers and the like certainly are trying to spread the word about what this series is accomplishing. Versus the manga already having a full and rapid omnibus release schedule via Udon Entertainment, finishing in September. Stray and I have both ordered the manga in full.
I definitely will be looking out for whatever Tanaka Yasuki writes next

Tags
supernatural