AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-05-18, 10:23   Link #101
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think the wedding plays a significant role in these events, certainly for Shinako. Both she and Rikuo probably felt a sense of the years passing them by and leaving them each facing a future alone. In my limited experience, establishing a relationship to avoid loneliness is not a recipe for future happiness.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-18, 11:37   Link #102
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
The story starts in late 90s right judging from the technologies shown?
Yeah, around then
Old 2020-05-18, 14:00   Link #103
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I presume that's the "Yesterday" to which the title refers. As I said it's highly unlikely anyone would actually sing that song in this show. For those who have read the source material, does anyone actually sing "Yesterday?"
Old 2020-05-18, 18:46   Link #104
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I presume that's the "Yesterday" to which the title refers. As I said it's highly unlikely anyone would actually sing that song in this show. For those who have read the source material, does anyone actually sing "Yesterday?"
I haven't read the manga, but it's obvious the title refers to the song. Why use English otherwise? Not to mention the "sing". That doesn't mean someone is actually going to sing the song though.
Old 2020-05-18, 19:49   Link #105
Frontier

I'm actually wondering if Haru can sing now .
Old 2020-05-19, 11:19   Link #106
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I haven't read the manga, but it's obvious the title refers to the song. Why use English otherwise? Not to mention the "sing". That doesn't mean someone is actually going to sing the song though.
Yes, I realize that. My question was whether the title was symbolic, a reference to times past.
Old 2020-05-19, 11:47   Link #107
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Sorry to burst the bubble of any Beatles fan in this thread, but if the Wiki entry for the mangaka, Kei Toume, is reliable and accurate, then apparently she was inspired "by a song of the Japanese rock group RC Succession".

Bonus point: Kei Toume is the creator of Hitsuji no Uta ("Lament of the Lamb")! I've actually watched the anime adaptation, but I have no idea what even motivated me to do so.

It's a very obscure OVA, and it was never particularly popular. It could be because the lead character was voiced by the legendary Megumi Hayashibara (Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bepop; Rei Ayanami, Neon Genesis Evangelion). I don't remember very much of the story. I vaguely recall it has something to do with cherry trees, and the persistent urban legend about what lies beneath it.

A brief scan of the Wiki entry says it's got something to do with vampirism. Hmm. Probably as good as a time as any for a rewatch.

P/S: By the by, Kei Toume's cover illustrations are lovely and have a distinctive melancholic style that's instantly recognisable, the same way I can instantly recognise Yoshitoshi ABe and Range Murata's art. (ABe's style, in particular, is similar to Toume's). But as is often the case, her actual panel manga art is much rougher — I'd even go so far as to say ugly. Don't know if her technique improved over time. Once this series is over, I'll take a closer look.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-19, 15:06   Link #108
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Outstanding new ED starts in ep7, by the fantastic (in many senses) Sayuri -- also known as "Oxygen-deprived Girl Sayuri." She seems to be getting even better -- and less extreme -- working with Sony. In this song, Aoibashi ("Blue Bridge," the name of a Taisho-era bus stop near Shinjuku Station) we get her uniqueness and expressiveness without as much noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QPQ_DgyTRQ

I find Haruo hard to like. Shinako is easy to pity, but also hard for me to like: she's as disconnected from life as Haruo. My favorite character -- whom I both pity and enjoy -- is the weird Haru.

Ep7 good. I read some of the manga, but my interest flagged. Here my interest is not flagging, even growing. The show/story is off-kilter, but strong.

Spoiler for Aoi Hashi lyrics:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2020-05-28 at 18:19. Reason: added lyrics
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-19, 18:07   Link #109
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble of any Beatles fan in this thread, but if the Wiki entry for the mangaka, Kei Toume, is reliable and accurate, then apparently she was inspired "by a song of the Japanese rock group RC Succession".
Now that's a twist! It was inspired by a song, but not by the one everyone thought about

I could see that song being sung by Kinoshita. That's assuming Kinoshita is even going to stick around now that Rikuo is going to quit his convenience store job.
Old 2020-05-20, 18:34   Link #110
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It seems that the manga was inspired by a song called "Sing Yesterday," by RC Succession (active 1968-91) but which itself seems to talk about the original Beatles "Yesterday" (1965). The lyrics say a woman asked the songwriter/band member to sing "Yesterday," which he did.

Video and Japanese lyrics here: https://www.uta-net.com/movie/28997/

By the way, @TinyRedLeaf, I really enjoyed the Hitsuji no Uta anime...if "enjoyed" is the word. Pretty dark.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-21, 03:23   Link #111
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It seems that the manga was inspired by a song called "Sing Yesterday," by RC Succession (active 1968-91) but which itself seems to talk about the original Beatles "Yesterday" (1965). The lyrics say a woman asked the songwriter/band member to sing "Yesterday," which he did.
That's like multiple layers of Inception-level references there.

Interesting find! Thanks for confirming and verifying the Wiki entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
By the way, @TinyRedLeaf, I really enjoyed the Hitsuji no Uta anime...if "enjoyed" is the word. Pretty dark.
I binged the OAV the same night I made the post. I wrote about my impressions from re-visiting the story here.

In short, re-watching Hitsuji no Uta gave me a deeper insight into Kei Toume's versatility as a writer. The OAV is completely different from Yesterday in tone and style, but I would add that it hasn't aged well. Yesterday is much more polished, and has clearly benefited from a great writing team that managed to tighten the narrative to much greater effect, based on my reading of the first few adapted chapters.

Hitsuji no Uta has almost nothing in common with Yesterday wo Utatte, but for one significant symbol: the cherry tree. In both stories, the cherry tree is a symbol of death and lingering regret.

And, oh, both stories also feature supporting characters who are aspiring artists/painters. But I don't feel this is as significant as the reference to cherry blossoms.
Old 2020-05-22, 02:33   Link #112
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
P/S: By the by, Kei Toume's cover illustrations are lovely and have a distinctive melancholic style that's instantly recognisable, the same way I can instantly recognise Yoshitoshi ABe and Range Murata's art. (ABe's style, in particular, is similar to Toume's). But as is often the case, her actual panel manga art is much rougher — I'd even go so far as to say ugly. Don't know if her technique improved over time. Once this series is over, I'll take a closer look.
It is standard 90s shoujo manga art. Pretty much remains like that throughout the whole series
Old 2020-05-22, 05:56   Link #113
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Wonder if Haru knits cute hats for her pet like this.

Old 2020-05-23, 16:37   Link #114
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Eh, so last week's ending was just a fake out. It's not like I thought something sexual was going to happen, but I didn't expect her to take back her invitation at the very last second. Shinako's doing a lot of thinking, but it doesn't seem like she's near a conclusion. She at least needs to cut ties with Rou just like Rikuo did with Haru.

Speaking of Haru, boy do I feel horrible for her. It's probably better than letting hold onto false hope for years, but that was cold. The worst part is that I can tell Rikuo was trying to be nice, but it was so clumsy/awkward it just ended up being plain hurtful. The timing didn't help.

I hope we'll get an episode from Haru's perspective soon. She's the only one that hasn't had one yet.
Old 2020-05-23, 17:11   Link #115
Frontier

I wasn't expecting Shinako inviting Rikuo to her apartment was going to go that far, but I wasn't expecting her to chicken out at the last minute. She really has a hard time committing to this stuff .

When now your buddy can rope his cute wife into talking about your relationship problems .

Rikuo is making headway with his own career and finally seems to have made something of himself, and even Kinoshita is going on tour with his band. It's good to see things picking up for those two .

Shinako acknowledging Haru as a rival by not giving her credit when using a line she said about Rikuo .

Rikuo tried to frame asking Haru to stop waiting for him as concern for her...but Haru seemed to take it as a rejection, which it might as well be at this point. I feel bad for her, but there's no sense in continuing to wait around and spend time with Rikuo if he's never going to return her feelings at this rate .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I hope we'll get an episode from Haru's perspective soon. She's the only one that hasn't had one yet.
I kind of feel like we have to have one if only because they still haven't explained what happened to her father yet, and that seems to have had a major effect on who Haru is now.
Old 2020-05-23, 17:21   Link #116
Wandering Soul

It's not like I was expecting anything to really happen, but they didn't even get into the room. It's fir the best though as Shinako still isn't sure of what she wants.

Rikuo doesn't actually say he's rejecting Haru, but he may as well have. He did try to be nice about it though and it's is for the best to end things here than to continue giving Haru false hope.
Old 2020-05-23, 19:53   Link #117
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The atmosphere is pretty heavy this episode. Especially for Haru. Rikuo is gathering his thoughts about making up his mind about things, and Shinako is on a similar note. It's like Haru's pretty much carried away by these changes while still unaware that things aren't what it used to be.

I won't blame Haru for being carefree still; those moments of teasing Rikuo and "declaring war" against Shinako were safe moments... moments where there's almost nothing to lose.

But things are different now. Rather, it cannot stay the way it was for long.

EDIT: I wonder if Haru is aware that her dynamics with Rikuo had changed drastically over time. Rikuo was clearly less enthusiastic about meeting Haru compared to the previous episode.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-23, 20:16   Link #118
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The atmosphere is pretty heavy this episode. Especially for Haru. Rikuo is gathering his thoughts about making up his mind about things, and Shinako is on a similar note. It's like Haru's pretty much carried away by these changes while still unaware that things aren't what it used to be.

I won't blame Haru for being carefree still; those moments of teasing Rikuo and "declaring war" against Shinako were safe moments... moments where there's almost nothing to lose.

But things are different now. Rather, it cannot stay the way it was for long.

EDIT: I wonder if Haru is aware that her dynamics with Rikuo had changed drastically over time. Rikuo was clearly less enthusiastic about meeting Haru compared to the previous episode.
I don't know if it was so much "safe" because she was putting herself out there in a "battle" that she could very well lose and feel emotionally hurt. That was an active change on her part to be more committed to Rikuo then she has been to anything prior to that.
Old 2020-05-23, 20:23   Link #119
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It was "safe" in a sense because Shinako was pretty much not thinking about the competition early on. But now that Shinako is starting to think that she may have some feelings for Rikuo is the time where stakes are real for Haru.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-23, 21:27   Link #120
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I'm hardly an expert on relationships in real life, but I concur with Fukuda, Rikuo's now happily married college buddy: Rikuo's not going to get a second chance after flubbing it the way both he and Shinako did.

On the one hand, I guessed right, and Rikou did indeed sense something wrong with Shinako that night, and I am glad he didn't exploit it. But on other hand, the moment has come and gone, and it looks like the two of them ended up not seeing each other for weeks, if not months, after that.

The momentum is gone, and it'll take that much more effort to resume the relationship, if at all. Actually, I'd say at this point that it could well be the beginning of the end for any kind of romance between Rikuo and Shinako.

You fall in love; it's not something you plan for. Sometimes, impetuousness is indeed what's needed. The fact that they're still holding back means Rikuo and Shinako aren't as committed as they need to be for this to work.

============

It seems that Rikuo has come to believe his lack of self-confidence is key, and he's addressing that by delving further into his newfound profession as a photographer. That's not a bad thing. More likely than not, though, career would eventually take over as the main goal. That's probably part of the reason he told Haru to stop seeing him. He doesn't feel like he needs the distraction at this point.

As for Shinako, kudos I guess for finally summoning the courage to go back to Rou's apartment? It still feels like a mistake to me, because I believe the kid is not going to be anywhere near as considerate as either Rikuo or Haru. What is Shinako going to do if Rou forces himself on her again? I kind of have a bad feeling that he would.

Speaking of apartments, I am confused about whether Shinako had moved at least once between the first few episodes and the middle episodes. In the earliest episodes, recall that she'd climb the stairs to get to her corner apartment. But now we see that she lives on a higher floor, and in a middle apartment, and that she enters the block via the main lobby.

It's also interesting to note that the 8-bit game in the ED maps out the major venues in the series so far: The train line running alongside the convenience store; the playground where the characters meet up sometimes; and either Shinako or Rikuo's home near the end. The story does unfold over a pretty small precinct, which partly explains how the characters sometimes run into each other by coincidence.