AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-09, 05:07   Link #15561
Blaat

Oh look it's the 2005 Paris riots again, except this time its in London.
Old 2011-08-09, 05:25   Link #15562
killer3000ad

PM Cameron just spoke:
Quote:
You will feel the full force of law, if you are old enough to commit the crime, you are old enough to receive punishment.
NINJA EDIT: Got the right name lol.
So when are they bringing in some German police?
Spoiler for Head cracking violence:

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-08-09 at 06:20.
Old 2011-08-09, 06:13   Link #15563
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
PM Gordon just spoke:
Quote:
You will feel the full force of law, if you are old enough to commit the crime, you are old enough to receive punishment.
If brown was still PM, this shit probably would never have happened. You need to know the current PM is a bit slow in everything.
Old 2011-08-09, 06:19   Link #15564
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
If brown was still PM, this shit probably would never have happened. You need to know the current PM is a bit slow in everything.
Oh my.... I meant Cameron not Gordon.... my bad, fixing it.

London riots: Looters stripping victims of even their clothes
Spoiler for Size:

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-08-09 at 06:38.
Old 2011-08-09, 06:53   Link #15565
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia describes Georgian leader as "pathological"
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7773HM20110808
Old 2011-08-09, 07:30   Link #15566
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
So they don't want to stop these delinquents (and using that term is me being kind to them) from destroying shops, businesses, disrupt people's livelihood, because they don't want to get prosecuted? These kids are already criminals. They need to know the kind of suffering they're inflicting on others, and the fact that they're poor and have nothing is no excuse.
Oh you know how it is, those idiots that then start shouting "HUMAN RIGHTS, HUMAN RIGHTS!" for the criminals

If they used force to nip this in the butt a few days again we probably wouldn't be as far gone.

All these idiots really need to smacked down and that goes for the Parliment thats being recalled on Thursday, wtf is up with that?!

These yobs are responible for their own actions and they are criminals and should be treated as such be them kids or not.

I say screw em all and bring in the water cannons.
Old 2011-08-09, 07:36   Link #15567
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I find it cool the way UK riot police look just like Roman legionaries (particularly the shields). Just replace Gladius with Batons. Very cool.

As for talk of the impending collapse of America, I'm not really afraid of America collapsing (or more probably declining), my main fear would be the collapse of Western Civilization as a whole. When the Roman Empire collapsed, it wasn't simply the state failing and splitting apart, it was the whole scale of collapse of society. All the water systems failed, Rome became a pasture for livestock. All the technological sophistication of the roman lifestyle was lost as technology regressed, and only returned to the roman standard 1000 years later.

My fear is that our own lifestyles are so ... dependent on modern infrastructure, organisation and technology, that if law and order broke down and society collapsed, billions would die and cities would be rendered into hulking mausoleums. Humanity would survive, but we'd be reduced back to the middle ages in technological terms. Almost no one knows how to build a computer from the ground up, we're all very dependent on what's come before, and it would be nigh impossible for us to restore something like as large and complex as the internet. The whole world is so interconnected that if one part fails sufficiently, the whole thing will go down.

I don't think we're at that stage though...
Old 2011-08-09, 07:45   Link #15568
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I find it cool the way UK riot police look just like Roman legionaries (particularly the shields). Just replace Gladius with Batons. Very cool.
That's all they have going for them. They're not sufficiently trained in self-defence if at all, not to mention they focus more on containing them rather than actually trying to stop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As for talk of the impending collapse of America, I'm not really afraid of America collapsing (or more probably declining), my main fear would be the collapse of Western Civilization as a whole. When the Roman Empire collapsed, it wasn't simply the state failing and splitting apart, it was the whole scale of collapse of society. All the water systems failed, Rome became a pasture for livestock. All the technological sophistication of the roman lifestyle was lost as technology regressed, and only returned to the roman standard 1000 years later.

My fear is that our own lifestyles are so ... dependent on modern infrastructure, organisation and technology, that if law and order broke down and society collapsed, billions would die and cities would be rendered into hulking mausoleums. Humanity would survive, but we'd be reduced back to the middle ages in technological terms. Almost no one knows how to build a computer from the ground up, we're all very dependent on what's come before, and it would be nigh impossible for us to restore something like as large and complex as the internet. The whole world is so interconnected that if one part fails sufficiently, the whole thing will go down.

I don't think we're at that stage though...
That would happen, but I think we're still very far from that stage too. So long as people are smart enough, they're not gonna let everything crumble overnight, and another world power will manage to take the USA's reins quickly enough. But indeed, the losses would be staggering, as you say.
Old 2011-08-09, 08:28   Link #15569
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
That's all they have going for them. They're not sufficiently trained in self-defence if at all, not to mention they focus more on containing them rather than actually trying to stop them.
They're also clearly understaffed for the work at hand. When you see stuff like 6/8 policeman in riot gear to take on a few dozen people if not a full hundred then you start to realize that no matter how many guts one has it's just not going to happen. Sheer numbers do count.
Old 2011-08-09, 08:38   Link #15570
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
That would happen, but I think we're still very far from that stage too. So long as people are smart enough, they're not gonna let everything crumble overnight, and another world power will manage to take the USA's reins quickly enough. But indeed, the losses would be staggering, as you say.
Nah, give or take another 50 years when Fossil Fuel runs out, Global Population burst through the roof, depleted natural resources coupled with Global Warming.....

You will see the current suitation in Somalia on a worldwide scale. God knows what will happen when the dust is settled.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:16   Link #15571
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
They're also clearly understaffed for the work at hand. When you see stuff like 6/8 policeman in riot gear to take on a few dozen people if not a full hundred then you start to realize that no matter how many guts one has it's just not going to happen. Sheer numbers do count.
Yup, they are actually get more trained riot coppers from other forces down to landan. Any opportunist would seize the chance and strike there where the forces were pulled from. Sometime the media should leave out some details, to prevent such thing from happening.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:26   Link #15572
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The main reason why MET Police is understaffed is largely because of cost cuts to public service sectors, and the MET has actually stopped recruiting officers and rely much more heavily on volunteers. That's the reason why you'll only ever see a handful of riot policemen against numerous dozens of rioters.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:44   Link #15573
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Oh look it's the 2005 Paris riots again, except this time its in London.
This happens in France all the time. Rioting is a sport there, lol. I still say it may be Vancouverites still on vacation.

Quote:
The main reason why MET Police is understaffed is largely because of cost cuts to public service sectors, and the MET has actually stopped recruiting officers and rely much more heavily on volunteers. That's the reason why you'll only ever see a handful of riot policemen against numerous dozens of rioters.
I am surprised the military has not been called to restore order.
Old 2011-08-09, 10:07   Link #15574
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
You mean the MOD that got cut by this government? We do still have the TA...
Old 2011-08-09, 10:16   Link #15575
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Japan Held Nuclear Data, Leaving Evacuees in Peril

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

The last election may have brought in a new government, but it doesn't look like much has actually changed, particularly when it comes to "saving face" for the well-connected.

For those of you who follow Japanese politics more closely than I, what are the prospects for the Kan government falling and a new election needing to be called? What are the chances that a new crop of candidates might arise without ties to either the LDP or the DPJ?
Old 2011-08-09, 10:17   Link #15576
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
This happens in France all the time. Rioting is a sport there, lol. I still say it may be Vancouverites still on vacation.
Lol that wouldn't be all too surprising

Quote:
They don't have the money to pay police officers, much less bring in military personnel to take care of a mob and then deal with the human rights activists who will certainly file a lawsuit.
Old 2011-08-09, 10:49   Link #15577
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
To think that this market panic seems to have started thanks to that small extremist faction in the house called the tea party =(
I disagree.
This economic situation started before most of us were born.
It's called the Federal Reserve System and fiat money.
I pretty sure the TEAparty didn't exist in 1913.
Old 2011-08-09, 11:10   Link #15578
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
To think that this market panic seems to have started thanks to that small extremist faction in the house called the tea party =(
Yes because all of the World's economies started facing reality with their finances as soon as the Tea Party gained a foothold in the House of Representatives only this year. /sacrasm. They are the only ones who are wanting to bring forth a balanced budget in my country. The rest of the Republicans and all of the Democrats just want to spend more and more and more, until this country collapses.
Old 2011-08-09, 11:26   Link #15579
GDB

Balancing works both ways. You have to increase revenues and decrease expenses. Guess what they outright refused to do under any circumstances? It's all well and good if they proclaim they want to balance it, but they shouldn't crash the country's economy in the process.
Old 2011-08-09, 11:31   Link #15580
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I disagree.
This economic situation started before most of us were born.
It's called the Federal Reserve System and fiat money.
I pretty sure the TEAparty didn't exist in 1913.
All money is fiat money. It only holds value because people think it does. Even gold. Gold is valuable because "it's shiny", and people think that because it's shiny, other people think it's valuable.

Fiat currency is just lowering the abstraction by a level. Currency is only ever a means of exchange. The real problem is that certain sectors of the world economy thought things were more valuable then they really are, and when they realised they aren't actually that valuable, well...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international