Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-31, 06:00   Link #121
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
camo-Carnotaurs
I have read the book. And I think I remember that the camo wasn't artificial. In fact in the book the dinosaurs were more dangerous than the scientists thought. The scientist wanted to make them tame, but at that point they haven't started the plan for that yet. The beginning of the story had been how workers were dying and they underestimated the risks.
Old 2014-07-09, 01:46   Link #122
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

^ In the Jurassic Park novel, the engineers and workers had plenty of nasty surprises with the dinosaurs they had brought back to life; for example they realized that pterosaurs were so territorial they liked to dive bomb on humans and knock the life out of them, and the venom sacs in the dilophosaurs went (IIRC) undetected until someone got spat at. Things were made even more complicated/unpredictable by how they kept splicing deteriorated dinosaur DNA and filling the gaps with African frog DNA (that was the case for the dinosaurs that were found to be able to reproduce; I believed they used other modern day animals as donors for the non-reproducing species like the T-Rex).

As for making dinosaurs tamer, Hammond and the park had been fighting with another, much more pressing concern, which was revealed in the Lost World: the disastrously high embryo loss rate (I believe only 1% of all embryos were judged viable). Until they figured out how to make the dinosaur cloning process more efficient and stable, they were going nowhere with Hammond's "pet dinosaur" fantasy. However, by the time Isla Nublar became ready to receive its first visitors and showcase the animals that had successfully reached maturity, DX started to manifest itself on Isla Sorna and opened an entirely new can of worms. All in all, despite what Hammond tried to make his clients believe, he held A LOT less control over the dinosaurs' building process and the end product.

In other news, Colin Trevorrow just posted this pic of the Legacy Effects factory on Instagram.

Yup, no feathers and still big enough to be an adolescent Utahraptor Ostrommaysorum.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-08-25 at 01:43. Reason: The Spelling and grammar demons forced me to edit this post or else be condemned to an eternity in Hell -_-
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-09, 02:22   Link #123
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I'm kind of glad they didn't go with feathered dinosaurs despite any proof that is cropping up. Sorry but a 20 foot tall chicken is in no way scary no matter how Chicken Park tried to claim otherwise!
Old 2014-07-09, 11:28   Link #124
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'm kind of glad they didn't go with feathered dinosaurs despite any proof that is cropping up. Sorry but a 20 foot tall chicken is in no way scary no matter how Chicken Park tried to claim otherwise!
i beg to differ, chickens are mean and nasty. The only difference between a chicken and a T-Rex is size.
Old 2014-07-09, 16:56   Link #125
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I don't know how cute the chickens in Chicken Park or in your neighborhood are, but a certain breed of chickens in my country can be quite scary. If I see any of them the size of a T-Rex, I will certainly run for my life before getting pecked to death .
Old 2014-08-25, 01:17   Link #126
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

RIP John Hammond.
Old 2014-09-13, 11:09   Link #127
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

There was the T-Rex and now there's the D-Rex.

Quote:
Chris Pratt has helped run Parks & Rec and battled space aliens, but his biggest challenge will arrive in Jurassic World. According to a new rumor, Pratt will we studying dinosaurs up close and personal, including a new breed of T-Rex in the franchises fourth outing.

The dinosaur, known as a ‘Diabolus Rex’ or ‘D-Rex’ is a mutant creature that will trigger a massive crisis in the new film.

The team at Movie Pilot says Diabolous Rex, created by fusing DNA of various species, will be a hybrid of a snake, cuttlefish, T-Rex and Velociraptor. Movie director Colin Trevorrow confirmed that D-Rex will be a new dinosaur, but also said it will not be some kind of “mutant freak.”

“We were hoping audiences could discover this on their own, but yes, there will be one new dinosaur created by the park’s geneticists. The gaps in her sequence were filled with DNA from other species, much like the genome in the first film was completed with frog DNA… This creation exists to fulfill a corporate mandate – they want something bigger, louder, with more teeth. And that’s what they get.”

Jurassic World surrounds the diminishing returns of the park. Years after dinosaurs were invented, crowds at the park begin to thin. The D-Rex is created in order to entertain new crowds.

Chris Pratt’s character, Owen, is responsible for behavioral research on the parks dinosaurs. Trevorrow reveals of Pratt’s character, “He’s just trying to figure out the limits of the relationship between these highly intelligent creatures and human beings. If people don’t think there’s potential in those ideas, maybe they won’t like this movie. But I ask them to give it a chance.”

Jurassic World takes place 22 years after the original park disaster and it is located on the same fictional island known as Isla Nublar. The movie debuts on June 12, 2015.
>> Source <<
Old 2014-09-13, 19:29   Link #128
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
There was the T-Rex and now there's the D-Rex.
Now I realy like to see what this D-Rex looks like. Granted, the premise sounds like something out of Syfy B-movies but since this has big studio backing and serious scriptwriter & director, it shouldn't be as bad as those Syfy creatures... I hope .

Oh, and I'm so sad that Richard Attenborough is gone now. His John Hammond character is practically the soul of the first Jurassic Park movie aside from Alan Grant and the dinos.
Old 2014-09-14, 03:58   Link #129
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Now I realy like to see what this D-Rex looks like.
After reading the list of DNA donors...probably a spinosaurid with an extensible jaw (large enough to gobble up a maiasaura) and protruding, venomous fangs, small arms like the T-rex, sickle claw-equipped toes like the raptor...and the ability to spit ink in the enemy's face, like the cuttlefish (add in the cuttlefish's color-changing abilities, and it'll be positively fabulous).
...Oh, and tentacles.
Quote:
Granted, the premise sounds like something out of Syfy B-movies but since this has big studio backing and serious scriptwriter & director, it shouldn't be as bad as those Syfy creatures... I hope .
Jurassic Park V: Raptornado. What can go wrong? We've got science behind us, baby.
Old 2014-09-14, 05:52   Link #130
Mr Hat and Clogs

Jesus, sounds like they're trying to create Cthulhu.
Old 2014-09-16, 21:02   Link #131
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I don't know if this is going to be awesome or a disaster .

Something sounds very worrisome about trying to create a fusion dinosaur. It's not like the original T-Rex wasn't scary, not sure we need to go and super charge him. But hey, if they do a good job then I can get behind it.
Old 2014-09-16, 21:05   Link #132
GDB

Yeah, usually if you want to genetically splice something you'd start with docile creatures as a proof of concept and to ensure nothing crazy awful happens. Isn't that why a sheep was the first thing cloned instead of, say, a grizzly bear?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-16, 21:32   Link #133
Mr Hat and Clogs

Ingen seems to operate under the philosophy of Go Big or Go Home, and Its Not Worth Doing Unless its Dangerous.
Old 2014-09-17, 15:33   Link #134
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

After re-reading the article I posted earlier, I have to wonder whether the park really was a success from the get-go, as the conception of this D-Rex chimera is billed as a desperate move to drum up more visits yet, according to real-life calculations, it takes somewhere between 14 to 18 years for an tyrannosaurid to reach adulthood (I imagine the D-Rex will be an adult and not an adolescent).

Since the aforementioned article also mentions that JW takes place 22 years after the JP disaster, it would mean that the JW park started experiencing financial problems less than 4 years after its opening (4 years passed between the JP and the TLW movies, and maybe a couple more between TLW and JP3). Whoa.

And yet the park management survived 14-18 more years of increasing deficit? Either they've got someone paying their bills for them with only a few occasional (but undoubtedly more frequent) complaints, or they had this chimera project in the works long before the financial troubles became apparent.

Or should we suppose the aliens from Pacific Rim crossed over to Isla Nublar and are busy slapping the adult D-Rex together as if it were a biological Ikea kit with the spare parts grown separately?
...Or maybe InGen (supposing it still exists after its new CEO became T-Rex snack in TLW) inserted more genes sequences into the patched-together DNA to have the D-Rex grow at an accelerated rate? This could have unintended consequences on the creature's metabolism and/or lifespan.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2014-09-17 at 16:41.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-17, 19:57   Link #135
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Could the D-Rex be a more reptilian than standard.
Old 2014-09-18, 04:08   Link #136
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

'Jurassic Park 4' Spoilers: Dinosaur To Escape Theme Park, Chris Pratt Says Audience Would See Park Get Torn Down

Quote:
The shooting of "Jurassic Park 4" has finished and it has entered its post production stage. Being one of the most anticipated films of 2015, "Jurassic Park 4," now officially titled as "Jurassic World" is based on a fully functional dinosaur park. The twist in the tale comes when a hybrid dinosaur escapes the park and proves to be a threat to the world outside.

The film is being directed by Colin Trevorrow of "Safety Not Guaranteed" fame. The movie has been shot in a Six Flags Theme park. For the sake of the movie, the park has been converted to dynamic dinosaur theme park and "Guardians of Galaxy" star Chris Pratt who plays a pivotal role in the movie said that people would be surprised to see the park.

"The park is up and running. John Hammond's dream has come true and there's now a park with 20,000 visitors a day, and everything he dreamed of and more is there at that park. And you will see it as an audience member when you see this movie -- and then you will see it get torn down," Chris said of the park to Total Film.

Moreover, Chris also said "Jurassic Park 4" is going to be one of the best movies in the franchise and Colin has done a great job with the film.The movie takes a 22-years leap from the first movie and the new set of people who have taken over the park would try to a create a dinosaur by using a mix between snake, a cuttlefish, and a T-Rex.

"There will be one new dinosaur created by the park's geneticists," Chris said to Slash Film, adding, "I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans on red alert, and I understand it."

The plot of "Jurrasic Park 4" is based on Crichton's work and Chris has said in his interview that the genetically modified dinosuar would not be a mutant as speculated earlier. "Jurrasic Park 4" is going to release on June 11, 2015.
So it looks like InGen is no longer running the show. I guess they went bankrupt after all (in the TLW movie, they're still up and running, whereas in the TLW novel their assets had already been liquidated and sold).

>> Source <<
Old 2014-09-18, 05:21   Link #137
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Now I remember that there’s this terrible movie called Poseidon Rex that features an aquatic T-Rex. Will the so-called D-Rex (combination of snake, a cuttlefish, and a T-Rex) look like this abomination?:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I certainly hope not ......
Old 2014-09-18, 11:26   Link #138
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Now I remember that there’s this terrible movie called Poseidon Rex that features an aquatic T-Rex. Will the so-called D-Rex (combination of snake, a cuttlefish, and a T-Rex) look like this abomination?:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I certainly hope not ......
Who the hell allows these things to be made?
Old 2014-09-18, 13:09   Link #139
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

I thought it was a Syfy flick, but apparently it isn't...but anyway Syfy is the easily the worst offender when it comes to this kind of (intentionally) low quality media. It turns out a good amount of people out there have a penchant for these movies that "are so bad they're good". And then there are things called mockbusters that are just as bad if not more due to the fact that they're lampooning (and riding on the coattails of) recent Hollywood blockbusters and the comparison between original and knockoff furthers highlights the latter's cringeworthiness.

People come to watch them not for the plot but for the cornucopia of clichés, bad special effects and poor production values. Remember Sharknado and how it garnered a LOT of attention?
Old 2014-09-21, 05:20   Link #140
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

In the end I think I prefer Jurassic Park's version of the T-Rex.

Science be [CENSORED].