AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 31 Rating
Perfect 10 11 23.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 34.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 31.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-07, 22:12   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 31 Discussion/Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Episode 31.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-11-08, 06:57   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Wow, i actually can't believe they kept in the Knox sup story with his son, but wow am i glad. I love Knox, and his story is personally one of my favorites from the series. Brilliant scene as well.

Though of course, for me the spotlight this week was all on Kimbley. That brilliant flashback with the stone, followed by him toying around with the guards. From here on out, it's Kimbley's show.

We see a certain mountain in the preview for episode 32. It's almost time!

Last edited by Shiroth; 2009-11-08 at 09:08.
Old 2009-11-08, 10:59   Link #3
Vicious108

Ok they kept Knox's scene and Kimblee was awesome, but this episode had one disappointment, what was it it with the BGM they used for the 520 Cenz Promise? That's supposed to be a warm and fuzzy moment and you give it a creepy track?

As for the Knox scene, from what I see they didn't keep the disagreement between him and his son, so I have to wonder if they even kept the "because we're family" line which was so important to the scene.

Other than that, it was a pretty good episode and they didn't really skip or rush anything, which was nice. Envy and Kimblee, the two most psychotic characters in the show, plotting together inside a car? Priceless.
Old 2009-11-08, 13:30   Link #4
xellos2099

Overall excellent episodes, they kept the ignore the crappy drawing part. I wish they have kept the line "Hey Marcoh, why are we killing people when we are doctors?"
Old 2009-11-08, 14:26   Link #5
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Aww, I'm glad they showed Knox's family coming to see him. Loved that they kept the whole scene where Kimblee was messing with the guard before he left, then Envy picking him up and telling him his plans for him. I can't wait for Briggs!! Looks like ep 33 is where it's all gonna start!

Overall, this was a great episode, it was nice not having to watch everything so rushed for a change. I had a feeling and I was hoping they would slow it down by this time in the series.
Old 2009-11-08, 16:52   Link #6
Haladflire65
*Artist

I liked it a lot. It was relaxing, and there were a lot of great scenes, like Roy with his chess pieces, Knox and his family, Roy with Riza, Lan Fan and Fu... And how can I forget Kimbley and Envy... XD I can see that the story's moving along to Briggs. I can't wait.
Old 2009-11-08, 20:55   Link #7
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

The scene wit Knox was well done. i couldn't remember it from the manga when i initially heard his name, but when his wife and son showed up, it came back in a flash.

Kimblee was great, and pretty soon we'll see him in action. i can't wait for Briggs. like seriously, probably one of the best arcs in the story. also, when that gets here, we get more Winry too. there's been a criminal lack of her in recent episodes.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2009-11-08, 23:09   Link #8
akire_and_atem

a lot of warm, fuzzy moments, almost true to the manga's

man I'm in love with Kimblee, not that I would choose a psycho, but still he has some guts <3 LOL
Old 2009-11-09, 00:37   Link #9
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Good episode. I was expecting no less from this episode. Interesting plot development with Kimblee, though I know what's going to happen. But I expected a bit more forward plot movement in this episode, as it was pretty slow compared to the previous ones. All we really got was a glimpse of "the North", which manga readers will recognize. However, I did enjoy the little moment of Dr. Nox with his family; it gave me warm fuzzies. 8/10
Old 2009-11-09, 09:30   Link #10
Bombo
TSF Fans

I can't wait for North
Old 2009-11-09, 10:50   Link #11
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Great episode. I liked how Roy said Hawkeye was his queen.

And the ending was great too. They really are good at making some sort of cliffhanger at the end of each episode.
Old 2009-11-09, 18:35   Link #12
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Ok they kept Knox's scene and Kimblee was awesome, but this episode had one disappointment, what was it it with the BGM they used for the 520 Cenz Promise? That's supposed to be a warm and fuzzy moment and you give it a creepy track?
I felt the same way lol.
Old 2009-11-09, 22:32   Link #13
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Is Scar trying to fool anyone with the whole disfiguring Marcoh for the sake of stealth excuse? I mean let's look at his merry band. You have a foreign girl with a tiny panda on her shoulder, the goofy sidekick guy, and let's not forget Scar himself. He's from Ishbal, has an obvious "X" scar on his forehead and a heavily tattooed right arm. And he's worried about Marcoh having his normal face being a problem? Out of everyone there Scar is the one who needs a disguise the most.

Nice to see Mustang is rebounding and making his next move. He can't afford to stop here. Besides in the end this plan expected his and Riza's deaths eventually if they were punished for their actions in Ishbal.
Old 2009-11-09, 22:43   Link #14
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Is Scar trying to fool anyone with the whole disfiguring Marcoh for the sake of stealth excuse? I mean let's look at his merry band. You have a foreign girl with a tiny panda on her shoulder, the goofy sidekick guy, and let's not forget Scar himself. He's from Ishbal, has an obvious "X" scar on his forehead and a heavily tattooed right arm. And he's worried about Marcoh having his normal face being a problem? Out of everyone there Scar is the one who needs a disguise the most.

Well, if he is smart he'd put what's her name in a disguise of sorts and send the three of them on a parallel path while he goes and draws attention. And we don't know what Marcoh is going to look it. His new face may not turn out that bad.. maybe. lol.
Old 2009-11-10, 00:20   Link #15
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I still think that Scar just did it cuz he wanted Marcoh to suffer, not strictly because he HAD to.
Old 2009-11-10, 00:41   Link #16
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I still think that Scar just did it cuz he wanted Marcoh to suffer, not strictly because he HAD to.
Yeah I figured that was his real intention. May Chang bringing up the philosopher stone probably pissed him off and he took it out on Marcoh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post

Well, if he is smart he'd put what's her name in a disguise of sorts and send the three of them on a parallel path while he goes and draws attention. And we don't know what Marcoh is going to look it. His new face may not turn out that bad.. maybe. lol.
I don't know about how well it will turn out. I mean the Eastern Alchemy is pretty good at healing but his outer face was completely blown away, that can't end well.
Old 2009-11-10, 07:55   Link #17
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
The only one that needed a disguise in Scar's group is Marcoh, because they wanted to fool the homunculi into believing that Marcoh is dead. That's why they went through the trouble of transmuting a fake headless corpse of Marcoh (and the "vengeance" thing). And this IS important because the homunculi had threatened to wipe out the whole town where Marcoh used to live if he didn't cooperate with them (ie. trying to escape or even killing himself). They needed to make the homunculi think that Marcoh was killed by Scar out of his own will, so maybe they would leave that town unharmed. (Their plan didn't work out quite well though as you can see in this ep, but the homunculi was still unsure whether Marcoh was dead or not)
Old 2009-11-10, 20:14   Link #18
Kirarakim

Now I don't know if this has to do with the subbed version of the episode I saw or if Bones actually changed the dialog. But the part with Dr. Knox and his family was quite different in the manga.

In the anime the son says something to the effect that I know you had a hard time in Ishbal but I loved you for the Doctor you've always been.

In the manga

Spoiler for because some people don't like to see manga comparisons:

So I am really hoping that was a mistake in the subs because it completely changes the meaning of the scene. But then I don't think Dr. Knox has been well served by this anime.

Personally I am hoping the subs were wrong in this case because it completely changes the meaning of that scene. Otherwise the episode was pretty good. Like others said the music was off in the 520 Cenz scene but Roy & Ed's seiyuu played the scene perfectly. I also liked the scenes with Kimbley & Envy, they both sounded wonderfully evil.
Old 2009-11-10, 20:24   Link #19
Who

Quote:
In works of fiction, sunglasses tend to give +10 disguise mastery.
Old 2009-11-10, 22:25   Link #20
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Now I don't know if this has to do with the subbed version of the episode I saw or if Bones actually changed the dialog. But the part with Dr. Knox and his family was quite different in the manga.

In the anime the son says something to the effect that I know you had a hard time in Ishbal but I loved you for the Doctor you've always been.

In the manga

Spoiler for because some people don't like to see manga comparisons:

So I am really hoping that was a mistake in the subs because it completely changes the meaning of the scene. But then I don't think Dr. Knox has been well served by this anime.

Personally I am hoping the subs were wrong in this case because it completely changes the meaning of that scene. Otherwise the episode was pretty good.
Afraid not, I'm pretty sure the dialog was just plain changed in the anime. I noticed it as well, since the scene was much shorter, and it is pretty sad since the manga scene was one of my favorites. There's the stuff you mentioned and then at the end
Spoiler for Manga:

That made the scene for me and in the anime they went with a simple "I love you dad!" instead, so the scene didn't have nearly as much impact IMO. Though the ending was of course still great, and Knox's seiyuu did a great job with his touching final lines.
Closed Thread