AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Old 2012-03-03, 08:22   Link #201
CatOfTime

I just don't see how this could turn out to be a good idea. Generally turning a series, whether it's a comic series or a tv-series, into a movie is a bad idea, unless the series has short enough arcs that could be translated into a 1,5h to 2,5h long movie. And even if they can manage to include "all" important factors into that short amount they have, they're still going to have to deal with the downsides of movies compared to series.

Character development is way harder to execute in a movie than in a series. Sure Bleach doesn't have that depth character development to begin with but still... it requires so perfect performance from all the actors and writers that they could manage to make audience care about the characters, make them interested in them. It is very hard to make you care about a character in 2 hours, especially if you are introduced to million other characters as well.

Back to the arc into a movie thingy. Bleach could manage to pull it off if they decided to make the introductory arcs into a movie. Those weren't that long and had rather logical development. However, the more I look into what the movie should include the more I think it's not a good idea... there's just no way they could introduce all those things in a movie without making it extremely, extremely rushed.

So the only chance I'd see Bleach being made into a live-action movie is to have it be either a) a "filler" movie that takes place between some arcs and doesn't affect the storyline whatsoever or b) take one of the more fighting oriented arcs and turn it into a movie. Those arcs weren't that heavy on the story and therefore are much more manageable.

Or you could do like the Hollywood usually does... throw everything out of the window and just do whatever you want. Ignore the fans of the series, try to make a film with material you can't handle and the result is usually a guaranteed disaster.

Visually Bleach would be perfect in live action setting. However, we all know what happened to Dragonball evolution... *shivers*

There's just so much that could go wrong with this project... and I am sure that it wouldn't be a "great" movie regardless of how hard they'd try to make it into one. I have no faith in this project.

I just hope they won't entirely murder the series if this film plan goes through.
CatOfTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 11:40   Link #202
james0246

Why does the Bleach movie have to follow any known/specific story arcs? Presumably, the American producers wish to start a franchise of sorts, so they would use the series to provide a background, but the stories can be entirely new or simply inspired by pre-existing arcs.

To put it in perspective, there is no single comic adaptation that is even mostly accurate to any specific comic storyline. To limit the movie entirely to a specific storyline from the manga seems a little preposterous. I would honestly prefer if the American producers simply take the original story and completely recreate it for an American audience (it's not like this process hasn't been done before (sometimes to great effect, often to horrendous effect)). It won't be Kubo's Bleach, but it can still be entertaining and, if done right, potentially better.

Whatever happens, here’s hoping that the film will inspire some new fans to check out the manga series.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 19:30   Link #203
Mateus

I just hope they don't screw with the names of the main characters and the Gotei 13, I mean I can already guess that 80% of the cast is going to be filled by white actors so naturally Hollywood execs who don't understand the Japanese names will change the names to something less Japanese-y...
Old 2012-03-06, 02:50   Link #204
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

My opinion is up in the air for a live-action film of Bleach. However, considering a lot of live-action Japanese films suck, seeing our live-action films is amazing. They did pretty good with the three Transformers movies at least on footage and 3D motion, as well as CGI. I agree that Dragon Ball sucked, that I do. And I'm slightly against them making a movie out of Rurouni Kenshin. However, I say we give them another try. I think it mostly depends on the director and staff.

I am willing to give them a try after seeing how they handled Transformers, even if the storyline is quite different, the footage is stunning. The Japanese are the masters of animation and we are the masters of live-action, for sure.
Old 2012-03-07, 12:44   Link #205
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned

Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
My opinion is up in the air for a live-action film of Bleach. However, considering a lot of live-action Japanese films suck, seeing our live-action films is amazing. They did pretty good with the three Transformers movies at least on footage and 3D motion, as well as CGI. I agree that Dragon Ball sucked, that I do. And I'm slightly against them making a movie out of Rurouni Kenshin. However, I say we give them another try. I think it mostly depends on the director and staff.

I am willing to give them a try after seeing how they handled Transformers, even if the storyline is quite different, the footage is stunning. The Japanese are the masters of animation and we are the masters of live-action, for sure.

Um for every good movie the U.S makes there are a lot of failed ones and Transformers sucked! For three reasons...Bumblebee couldn't talk, Megatron did not turn into a gun. He was the only one who could and most of us bought Megatron for just that reason. Prime was popular but so was Megatron . Lastly in the sequel Megatron was deposed at the big bad and he did not turn into the gun

Wolverine? Do I need to say more?
X-man first class was good but... come on....Xavier grew up with Mistique who is a hell of lot older than he is. They're in a mansion but it's Just her and Charles. Where in the hell was Juggernaut!?! Beast turns blue because of Mistique. That is not how Charles became a paraplegic...Seriously...seriously? and they don't even mention that Azalea is going to boink Mistique and elude to the fact the he is Night Crawler's Dad. You know how many times my nephews and younger cousins asked me why is Night Crawler Red? Azalea didn't even meet Mistique like that and I had to keep explaining he's blue because Mistique is his mother....it was a pain

Spiderman 3 don't even get me started.....

There are only a few superhero movies that are good. Maybe a handful and most of them suck and I won't hold my breath because I have no faith that Bleach Movie will suck too. I wish they would just make an original animated movie..or leave it alone.

Ichigo will become white and Bleach will go suburban or worse..he'll be played by JYB

NOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited by Lord of Pandemonium; 2012-03-07 at 12:57.
Lord of Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 10:22   Link #206
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:

really? as far as i know there are only very few hollywood adaptations that could be considered as good or even better than their asian counterparts. was the hollywood version of the ring better than ringu? what about the grudge? they screwed that up too! i could only think of martin scorsese's the departed that made the grade. the movie was an adaptation of the hong kong film internal affairs, and that was an awesome film as well. hollywood films may have all that flash but don't underestimate asian filmmakers. have you forgotten wuxia films like crouching tiger, hidden dragon, hero, house of flying daggers, fearless, etc? i'd rather watch a low-budgeted asian indie flick with great writing and direction than watch a big flashy michael bay movie! his films may be entertaining but they're as deep as a puddle.
Old 2012-03-11, 04:49   Link #207
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
Say what you want, but we have better animation in live-action films than Japan. It only makes sense that we make it. However, I can agree that they should get help from the original artist and Japanese-oriented producers on how exactly they should put the whole thing together. But in terms of quality (animation based), Transformers outdid Star Wars by a million years. Don't get me started on the fact that even modern day Japanese films still bore me to death and remind me of Godzilla - the really old one. However, I would prefer they do Bleach like they did Lord of the Rings and - if they are to do multiple movies - shoot them at the same time. Unless they have a cast like Johnny Depp, whom seemed to age like no years in-between films, they'll have problems. This ain't Harry Potter after all...

Those are my only problems to this. Very small, that they are.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:13   Link #208
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Pandemonium View Post
Ichigo will become white and Bleach will go suburban or worse..he'll be played by JYB
THIS is how I feel if the above happened.

Old 2012-03-12, 13:00   Link #209
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

The question is, why do they target these culture heavy series that they'll end up white washing when they can do a series like Black Lagoon!?
Old 2012-03-12, 13:23   Link #210
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The question is, why do they target these culture heavy series that they'll end up white washing when they can do a series like Black Lagoon!?
That's because western adaptations exist to pervert, distort, warp and mangle fundamentally good and beautiul things into ugly, cynical and soulless monstrosities.

Black Lagoon
is already hateful, hopelss, ugly, soulless and devoid of any beauty or faith in humanity: What NEED would it have of a western adaptation?

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2012-03-12 at 14:06.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 09:05   Link #211
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
That's because western adaptations exist to pervert, distort, warp and mangle fundamentally good and beautiul things into ugly, cynical and soulless monstrosities.

Black Lagoon
is already hateful, hopelss, ugly, soulless and devoid of any beauty or faith in humanity: What NEED would it have of a western adaptation?
because it would be a accurate portrayal of the source material and be awesomesauce?
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 23:42   Link #212
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
^
Say what you want, but we have better animation in live-action films than Japan. It only makes sense that we make it. However, I can agree that they should get help from the original artist and Japanese-oriented producers on how exactly they should put the whole thing together. But in terms of quality (animation based), Transformers outdid Star Wars by a million years. Don't get me started on the fact that even modern day Japanese films still bore me to death and remind me of Godzilla - the really old one. However, I would prefer they do Bleach like they did Lord of the Rings and - if they are to do multiple movies - shoot them at the same time. Unless they have a cast like Johnny Depp, whom seemed to age like no years in-between films, they'll have problems. This ain't Harry Potter after all...

Those are my only problems to this. Very small, that they are.
transformers outdid star wars? in what sense? special effects? that's the only edge it has over star wars, of course i'm referring to the original star wars. but as far as plot, characterization and epicness, transformers is forgettable compared to star wars. star wars will continue to be one of the most popular and loved sagas in the world long after we're dead.

what are these modern-day japanese films you're talking about, may i ask? because as far as i could tell, they did quite a good job adapting manga like battle royale and kamui gaiden into live action films. but to each his own. to me, the only thing that sets asian films and hollywood films apart is the budget. if they can afford to build locations and the latest special effects they would be able to do just as good a job, if not better.

anime/manga has already proven that the japanese are far more creative and imaginative than their western counterparts that even jrr tolkien himself would be impressed. though i'm not, in any way, putting down any of the western graphic novelists and artists. i read them too and i'm even a fan of some of them. and osamu tezuka, the father of manga, was first inspired by western comic books that's why he created his own version. i'm just saying that as far as uniqueness and imagination is concerned, these japanese manga are simply better. and in my opinion, hayao miyazaki's work trumps any of the disney-made animated flicks.

so no, i don't think hollywood can pull this one off. it will be a totally different movie. the title would be bleach but it won't be bleach. this is not like lord of the rings or harry potter that can easily be adapted into the silverscreen. there are going to be a lot of cultural issues to deal with. if they want to successfully adapt the bleach manga, they would have to cast japanese actors and film it in japan. but once they cast caucasian actors for this film, kiss bleach goodbye and be ready for a movie that slightly resembles bleach.
Old 2012-06-10, 02:20   Link #213
Mateus

I don't have a super lot to contribute - just curious of Hollywood is really serious on undertaking this movie. I imagine that IF they are then US Bleach will basically be the Bleach version of the Resident Evil movies...I mean I seriously doubt that every single one of the 13 captains, much less every other character will make it into the movie. It would have to be condensed somehow and will probably be 80% filler with some canon characters interlocking the plot threads ala Resident Evil.
Old 2012-06-20, 17:11   Link #214
DemonicRapture
Cthulhu

Exclamation Whyyyyyy

They are just going to kill the series for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2012-06-21, 16:19   Link #215
dagr81
The legendary dragoon

i hope you all remember the dragon ball movie, because bleach will be the same
dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 16:35   Link #216
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr81 View Post
i hope you all remember the dragon ball movie, because bleach will be the same
why did you have to remind me?

Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 22:15   Link #217
Chiisai Kuma
*Artist

the only good that came of that movie was TeamFourStar's Riff Track of it and the tfs quote of
"Look! It's DarthEvilMcBadGuy!!!"

sig made by the wonderful Godlike1889
http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=80506
Chiisai Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 09:52   Link #218
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiisai Kuma View Post
the only good that came of that movie was TeamFourStar's Riff Track of it and the tfs quote of
"Look! It's DarthEvilMcBadGuy!!!"
Funny enough the only time I watch the whole movie was with the Riff Track...

And yea...I doubt a Bleach or any manga to Hollywood movie would be much better than Dragonball Evolution.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 22:28   Link #219
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
And yea...I doubt a Bleach or any manga to Hollywood movie would be much better than Dragonball Evolution.
now if they forgot about hollywood and got someone like takashi miike to do it... then we'd be talking
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 22:43   Link #220
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
now if they forgot about hollywood and got someone like takashi miike to do it... then we'd be talking
Don't think he'd touch Bleach with a 10 foot poll. I wouldn't want him too either...he's just too awesome.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote