AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-14, 18:38   Link #441
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It depends on whether you mean "average" or "median"... but recognize this. Even if you make $200K, $400K and most of that income is from actual work rather than investing ... you're still a peasant compared to the sheer number of zeros these CEOs, plutocrats, and ultra-wealthy pull in.

Lets say you make $250K/yr working ... the average CEO in the S&P500 pulls in $13million a year (note the word "average"). That means you are making about 2% of what the *average* CEO makes. You're not only not in the country club, but they can't even tell the difference between you and the guy making $40K a year.
That's slightly false logic. The S&P 500 are the 500 largest companies in the world, so obviously their CEOs will tend to make large quantities of money, but there's plenty of CEOs of smaller companies that make substantially less.

Though I'd agree that the guys at the top make obscene levels of money, but it's not quite so dramatic. And most of the "rich" are making in the hundreds of thousands to the millions a year range, and are still plenty influential.

Though I don't see why CEOs earn that much anyway. How much influence can one man really have?
Old 2012-09-14, 18:48   Link #442
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Though I don't see why CEOs earn that much anyway. How much influence can one man really have?
Their decisions effect the lives of all their employees and investors, not to mention their consumers and customers. While CEOs, Presidents and other upper management undoubtedly make too much for what they do (and their "golden parachutes" are ridiculous), there responsibilities and duties are far greater than their employees.
Old 2012-09-14, 19:12   Link #443
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Those who rule by wealth or the power provided by wealth.
Okay, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
There was some possible candidates than were thought to be even better potential but they didn't try for this time. Of course many thought than it would be a better idea to try for 2016.

As for Huntsman he might be qualified but wasn't he condidered to be too much of a moderate... or was it of a realist .
He was a good candidate and is far better than Romney, but, well, the GOP has been hijacked by extremists. The GOP wants Romney because he will be suitable for their extremism. I figure if Romney became president, they'd just make him a people for their very corrupt platform, just like they did with Bush Jr. Very sad. Everything about the GOP is either sad or maddening (or sometimes both).
Old 2012-09-14, 19:28   Link #444
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Huntsman, despite his strong background, didn't really make much of an impression in the debates either. Perhaps he was too soft spoken, but I found Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich and maybe Herman Cain to have more presence on stage. I think Huntsman is better suited to working behind the scenes rather then in the spotlight as the president does. He'd make an excellent Chief of Staff, Ambassador etc.
Old 2012-09-14, 19:32   Link #445
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Huntsman, despite his strong background, didn't really make much of an impression in the debates either. Perhaps he was too soft spoken, but I found Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich and maybe Herman Cain to have more presence on stage. I think Huntsman is better suited to working behind the scenes rather then in the spotlight as the president does. He'd make an excellent Chief of Staff, Ambassador etc.

Ah, yes, Herman Cain. He'd be the only president to know all the pokemon. Every. Single. One.
Old 2012-09-14, 19:53   Link #446
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Ah, yes, Herman Cain. He'd be the only president to know all the pokemon. Every. Single. One.
Indeed. Guy was a complete joke, but a charismatic joke, at least.
Old 2012-09-15, 00:12   Link #447
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
He'd get my support. Pokemon trainers are a historically neglected demographic in the US.
Old 2012-09-15, 00:20   Link #448
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
He'd get my support. Pokemon trainers are a historically neglected demographic in the US.
I hope for a Cain-Squirtle presidency in 2016.
Old 2012-09-15, 00:25   Link #449
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
I hope for a Cain-Squirtle presidency in 2016.
His entire Cabinet might as well be the Squirtle Squad.

In other news apparently Romney is kind of a Snooki fan...ugh.

Speaking of which here is the transcript for the whole interview.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-bush-massage/

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2012-09-15 at 00:41.
Old 2012-09-15, 01:00   Link #450
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Haha, they actually have this on youtube; I remember it from back in the days when Romney was running for president in 2008.

He is a idiot, for sure. We really know that for sure now, ever since he gained traction for this years' presidential running.
Old 2012-09-15, 01:06   Link #451
willx
Nyaaan~~

Hm.. Since I'm not American, I don't have a vested interest in the debate other than my own opinions and sanity, so I hope I don't get yelled at for pointing this out..

But I was just in a store and saw the latest issue of Esquire magazine and there was an article titled "A brutally honest assessment of Obama's Presidency - Obama by the Numbers" and at the risk of everything associated with being "a devil's advocate" I think any rational and reasonable person should read this. It's balanced. The GOP does have a point about some things.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politic...13b77fc53a0aa2
Old 2012-09-15, 01:17   Link #452
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Hm.. Since I'm not American, I don't have a vested interest in the debate other than my own opinions and sanity, so I hope I don't get yelled at for pointing this out..

But I was just in a store and saw the latest issue of Esquire magazine and there was an article titled "A brutally honest assessment of Obama's Presidency - Obama by the Numbers" and at the risk of everything associated with being "a devil's advocate" I think any rational and reasonable person should read this. It's balanced. The GOP does have a point about some things.

Well you can always find "points" being brought up by both sides.

Honestly all of government is nothing but a circus act to me anymore. I can't side with any candidate/party seriously at this point, although I consider myself a republican. I'm thoroughly convinced at least half of the people involved in government have no freaking idea what they're even doing.

In my mind between Obama and Romeny it is like choosing the lesser of two evils. The country will still be in bad shape and won't improve all that much through whomever's term.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2012-09-15 at 01:43.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:18   Link #453
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

I have no problem with GOP's argument that Obama is a flawed president who does do thing wrong. I DO have a problem that the GOP doesn't even TRY to claim they can do better. Just "Less Regulation and more tax cuts". Obama is doing a bad job... But I am not sure the GOP want to do ANY kind of job at all.

EDIT:
In general I am mad at the GOP for being incompetent. The point of the Opposition is to keep the government honest and to push them to do a better job. But GOP went for the "crash the country and blame Obama" strategy. This was why Democrats didn't work harder; no point when they can't do anything. GOP is suppose to offer viable alternative government policy, but they gave that up. So now Obama is the only choice by default because he is the only candidate who takes his role seriously.

I understand the fundamental arguments of Republicans. But just as many old school Republicans on this thread pointed out, the modern GOP doesn't do any of that anymore.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:41   Link #454
Destined_Fate

I wouldn't call Romney an idiot, more like... He's out of touch and wants to only say what he thinks that the people want to hear. It's hard to get him to really sit down an say "This is what I believe" an just roll with it no matter what. At least for anything that isn't about religion(Mind you, not his own. For the longest time he didn't want to talk about Mormonism and instead promoted the more popular GOP religion instead even if it wasn't his own) and hating the Government since he wants to leave everything to the Private Sector. Like that worked out.... Profits are everything there hence why many have shifted jobs overseas and hides a lot of their profits from taxation.

Personally I don't like that we're stuck with "Massive" Government or "Almost No" Government. Why can't we just have "Moderate" Government? Sure too much Government can be bad but so is barely any Government.

I agree there, the GOP has devolved into extremists in positions of power where moderates in their own party are black listed and voted out for not being extreme enough. It's horrifying to think what would happen if the current GOP gets into the White House considering how far they've gone to screw over the Nation so that Obama has weaker ground to stand on for the Election. Seriously, I can only shake my head at all the No's that the current Republicans churn out when it comes to something the Democrats brought up. I'm sorry but they weren't put in office to vote No all the time, they were put in office to represent the people and put them first before their political party. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything the Democrats have churned out(Some of the things they have bought up before deserved No's but not everything) is always right but it's like the moment the current extremist GOP(I miss the Moderates) see that something is endorsed by a Democrat they immediately start screaming NOOOOOOOOO~!

What someone should do is bring up an unknown issue to both parties and not tell them the other party suggested it and see what goes from there.
Old 2012-09-15, 03:49   Link #455
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Romney says United States should get tougher with Egypt
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88C17C20120914
Such declaration is a obvious reaction to the past event but obvious do not mean necessairely the best. Of course, to cover a bit more the ''menace'' , is menace is the right word, would be a good idea if he was a representant of the US. But is he at this moment ?
Old 2012-09-15, 04:11   Link #456
Destined_Fate

He's just pandering to the shoot first and ask questions later crowd. We shouldn't be pushed around but what does he mean by "Get Tougher"? Does he want us to start kicking down doors and yelling very loudly because we're angry if removing aid doesn't work(In fact that would only make them angrier!)? It's easier to demand action than to ask for calm it seems. Aid also isn't something we can just take away without a second thought, there's a reason we give it - It helps us out in the long term too.

I find it hilarious that he says that Egypt should respect the rights of its minorities. Coming from him that seems a bit hypocritical considering his views on gays/lesbians/trans/bis and his views on our immigration issue. As a pastor once told me, do as you preach. I still live by that even if I'm no longer religious.
Old 2012-09-15, 04:13   Link #457
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

Does it point out the GOP's responsibility in burdening Obama with two wars and tax cuts?
Old 2012-09-15, 04:32   Link #458
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I find it hilarious that he says that Egypt should respect the rights of its minorities. Coming from him that seems a bit hypocritical considering his views on gays/lesbians/trans/bis and his views on our immigration issue. As a pastor once told me, do as you preach. I still live by that even if I'm no longer religious.
Is he had some brain ( or a good conseilor) he would probably point out than he respet the right than they already have, and passing under silence than he don't want them to have the same right than the others.
Old 2012-09-15, 04:55   Link #459
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

Quite honestly, considering the catastrophic baggage Bush admin left at the door when Obama took the house, he's coping rather well.

GOP likes to criticize the current administrations for all the damage their neo-con bros did and left with him.
Obama would have to be a miracle worker to not have catastrophic numbers to work with.
Old 2012-09-15, 05:48   Link #460
Destined_Fate

Well, Wild Bill said it best... The GOP is just angry that Obama hasn't cleaned up their mess fast enough.
Closed Thread