AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-28, 00:46   Link #241
Shinji01

Just wondering, but as a Japanese, I never really celebrated the lunar new year except in china town in yokohama.
Do people of Japanese decent overseas celebrate it?

In Japan, most people are vaguely aware of the CNY, until they see it as a news coverage on TV, or they work with the Chinese.

I would love to go visit yokohama though...
It must be so festive around china town.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 01:51   Link #242
siGil

yes... traditionally cny is a week or two week long celebration... a lot of cultural things take place and its a time for families to gather... esp in the old days where families were huge XD

since i moved overseas when i was young i didnt get to enjoy it as much as i would've liked to. ppl of chinese descent overseas gather around china town or just celebrate with close friends n families most of the time.

we dont tend to openly broadcast it or anything... but if you go to the right places you'll find the festivities you're looking for ;]
siGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 09:11   Link #243
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by siGil View Post
yes... traditionally cny is a week or two week long celebration... a lot of cultural things take place and its a time for families to gather... esp in the old days where families were huge XD
the actual CNY celebration only last 3 days, those day after just to finish up what haven't done yet and visit people you haven't visit yet
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 11:17   Link #244
tomtkp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
the actual CNY celebration only last 3 days, those day after just to finish up what haven't done yet and visit people you haven't visit yet
CNY is actually a 15-day celebration period, not just 3 days. Yes, the first three days are where the festive mood is at its peak but there are certain days beside the first three days which most Chinese celebrate as well. The 7th day is what the Chinese named ren le or Human's birthday in English that is to commemorate the birth of humans according to one Chinese legend. The 9th day is a special occasion for those from Hokkien (Fujian) origins as they would do god-praying activities (bai tien gong) in the early morning. The Chinese even celebrate the last day of CNY (yuan xiao jie) to mark the end of the celebration period.
Old 2012-01-28, 19:36   Link #245
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
Just wondering, but as a Japanese, I never really celebrated the lunar new year except in china town in yokohama.
Do people of Japanese decent overseas celebrate it?

In Japan, most people are vaguely aware of the CNY, until they see it as a news coverage on TV, or they work with the Chinese.
I do not know if you are aware, but the Japanese do observe the lunar new year a long time ago, before the Meiji reformation. Since then, they have choose to celebrate their new year based on the Georgian Calendar and yet retained the old customs, but I'm sure you already know this.

But to answer your question, from my observation, I do not see the local Japanese celebrate the lunar new year.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 10:07   Link #246
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I do not know if you are aware, but the Japanese do observe the lunar new year a long time ago, before the Meiji reformation. Since then, they have choose to celebrate their new year based on the Georgian Calendar and yet retained the old customs, but I'm sure you already know this.

But to answer your question, from my observation, I do not see the local Japanese celebrate the lunar new year.
Yep, we do still observe the lunar calender in someways such as "Setsubun" which falls on the spring equinox and was a celebration of spring and the new year...Oh, that tomorrow isnt it? Better go buy me some soy beans!
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 09:04   Link #247
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Happy Chinese New Year to myself and other Chinese people in this forum! Can't celebrate it at home since I am studying abroad at the moment, but my friends and I have decided not to let that dampen the mood, so we are going to Chinatown to celebrate (roast pig/duck, yum!).

For those celebrating at home, I hope you will get a large angpau (assuming you are not married yet).

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 10:33   Link #248
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well I was doing spring cleaning at home quite late because I just knocked off. I was cleaning the incense cauldrons with my mother at 8pm just now, and I was taking my own sweet time picking out all the spicks and spots that my mum decided to take the other, and just do a random Autosol over it.

Me : Mum, if you do that, both will be uneven. Let me clean it.

My mum : You are wasting time picking out all the spots and it is 11pm! At least this not-as-shiny one will be out hung outside, while your shinier one will be inside with the Goddess of Mercy.

Me : Mum, if you do that, the other gods may be jealous of the Goddess of Mercy because she gets a shinier incense burner.

My mum : Well the gods will understand, that we are human beings and are not like them. We need to sleep!

Well that is my mum. She's the bit of a kuudere.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 10:33   Link #249
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Gong Xi Fa Cai. Happy Chinese New Year Everyone.

Now for some music.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-08, 12:23   Link #250
LeoXiao
思想工作

Oh, it was today? I got the idea that it was the 5th somehow.
Anyway, xin nian kuai le and don't even think about mentioning that "spring festival" crap. That is not the proper name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Me : Mum, if you do that, the other gods may be jealous of the Goddess of Mercy because she gets a shinier incense burner.
My mum : Well the gods will understand, that we are human beings and are not like them. We need to sleep!

Well that is my mum. She's the bit of a kuudere.
Never heard of kuudere, what exactly does it entail? Also it just occurred to me that there's no way the Goddess of Mercy could be a loli, so that's a plus.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 07:44   Link #251
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Happy Chinese New Year to everyone.

CNY have been getting more and more low key for my family as the years go by. Probably because all my siblings are older now and we have a more laid back view of the holiday unlike my younger days where there's lion dance and firecracker going off everywhere.

Although the spring cleaning work is just as tedious.

Just had my new years eve dinner of steamboat and the next few days will be visiting my relative and probably gambling with a few of them.
Old 2013-02-09, 07:53   Link #252
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Happy Lunar New Year, everyone!!

Just realised that not many moe characters related to snakes, so here borrowed an original art
Old 2013-02-09, 08:45   Link #253
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ You forgot Nadeko Sengoku from Bakemonogatari. It is the Year of the Nadeko Snake, after all.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 09:41   Link #254
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Kung Hei Fat Choi!

grabs some tikoys~
Old 2013-02-09, 09:54   Link #255
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Four Golden Princess is pretty famous in my country, and their songs are always broadcasted during CNY period. I have been listening to them since I was young. It's a pity they are not as active as they used to be.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 11:42   Link #256
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Ah, the time where American trade deficit narrows to almost non-existence
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 21:05   Link #257
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Nice, I've always wanted a rainy Chinese new year

9 times out of 10 it's always unbearably hot... >_>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:40   Link #258
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I wonder if there is a site that broadcasts the entire (what was the pronunciation again) Chang Jie Lian Hua Hui...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 06:53   Link #259
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I wonder if there is a site that broadcasts the entire (what was the pronunciation again) Chang Jie Lian Hua Hui...
http://www.iqiyi.com/zongyi/yscw2013.html

It is called 春节(chun jie=spring festival) 联欢(晚)会(lian huan wan hui).
Old 2013-02-10, 07:16   Link #260
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Nice, I've always wanted a rainy Chinese new year

9 times out of 10 it's always unbearably hot... >_>
I would prefer a non-rainy one because I have to work!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote