AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-26, 19:49   Link #1641
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
But for those who don't even give him a chance and want him gone? Sorry, this series isn't for you, if you haven't already figured it out - he's Aladdin's best friend.
Can you please be quiet, or get over it, so that the rest of the viewers can enjoy the series?
And just who put you in charge here? Heh.
I thought we were here to discuss the anime, not just sing praises about it. So why is it people with your attitude always need to barge in and tell the rest of us to go away if we're not here to say something nice?

As for me, I don't really dislike Alibaba, but he's been getting WAY too much focus when compared to Aladdin (title character of the show, no?) and Morgiana.
Don't think anyone here said anything about wanting him gone though. And hey, we've given him a chance. A whole arc of it

T'is time to move on and let other characters shine.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 20:09   Link #1642
Dr. Casey

Nine out of ten times, I do find myself wishing that the crowd who posts negatively about an anime would shut the hell up, because their vitriol is usually over the top and 'criticisms' often a result of just missing the point... but this thread falls into the one out of ten I don't mind and even enjoy. The crowd in this thread comes across as rational, intelligent fans with legitimate bones of contention (which is just like it should be), rather than obnoxious, rabid ragetards common in other threads across AnimeSuki. And really, Dark Faith's avatar is hot enough that I wouldn't mind him posting even if I disagreed with everything he says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon
I enjoyed the brief glimpse of Sinbad's past we were shown. I'm dying for a spin-off featuring him. There is a lot to be told about him.
Kanon, my son, I thought the exact same thing. There's a hell of a life story there in his 29 years.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-26, 21:21   Link #1643
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
But for those who don't even give him a chance and want him gone? Sorry, this series isn't for you, if you haven't already figured it out - he's Aladdin's best friend.
Can you please be quiet, or get over it, so that the rest of the viewers can enjoy the series?
I don't want him gone. I do like him.....but I don't like the way that the anime seems to make him more weaker than he is compared to the manga. He never was suspicious of Haku for starters.

And it does seem like he's taken over as Main MC...when isn't this supposed to be Aladdin's story? He had his turn in the spotlight, time for someone else. Like Mor.

And amen to a Sinbad spinoff.
Old 2013-02-26, 21:42   Link #1644
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
It's kind of puzzling why the production decided to make Alibaba angstier than he already is (in the anime). Mistrusting Hakuryu? He had NONE of that in the source material (and was actually quite friendly). If anything, it was Hakuryu who was stand-offish, if only because he was an awkward goof with mommy issues.
Old 2013-02-27, 02:39   Link #1645
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This whole "if you don't have something good to say, just get out" attitude seems to pop up in forums a lot, but it still depresses me every time I see it. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a discussion forum at all rather than a fan club.
The problem is when you do it over and over and over and over. That's not voicing your opinion, that's just being a troll.

Also, again, can someone point me to the scene where he's being angsty? I'm positive that I must have missed it.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 04:48   Link #1646
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Maybe it came off as being repetitive because a lot of people are saying it and not that the same person is saying the same thing over and over again? Just sayin'
Old 2013-02-27, 10:52   Link #1647
Lycodrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
And just who put you in charge here? Heh.
I thought we were here to discuss the anime, not just sing praises about it. So why is it people with your attitude always need to barge in and tell the rest of us to go away if we're not here to say something nice?And hey, we've given him a chance. A whole arc of it
First: You are assuming a lot about me, kindly don't.
Second: Cool your jets and calm down. I'm not "barging in", and I didn't say "go away if you can't say something nice".
Quote:
T'is time to move on and let other characters shine.
The manga does a whole lot better at balancing out between the 4 main characters - at least according to what I've understood of source materials: Aladdin, Alibaba, Morgiana, and Hakuryuu.
Old 2013-02-27, 10:55   Link #1648
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Maybe it came off as being repetitive because a lot of people are saying it and not that the same person is saying the same thing over and over again? Just sayin'
Because stating what has already been said without adding anything new is VERY commendable.
Old 2013-02-27, 16:17   Link #1649
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Also, again, can someone point me to the scene where he's being angsty? I'm positive that I must have missed it.
There isn't any single scene which does that (it's several!), but over the course of the past few eps, the director has definitely made Alibaba much angstier than he was in the manga. It comes over as a cheap way of keeping Alibaba in the spotlight.

For a few examples of added Alibaba angst, there's the scene where Sinbad had to knock him out to bring him to Sindaria, Alibaba's reactions to Hakuryuu, and especially the scene where Alibaba is talking to Sinbad and saying things like "But it might also be my conscience telling me what I really think." along with a downcast expression. With Sinbad reassuring him that even if part of his heart hates Hakuryuu enough to kill him, it'll be okay. That be angst.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 16:44   Link #1650
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, in the manga, he turned to comfort eating. (But it was mostly off-screen. Also, it's possible he just liked the food.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 18:13   Link #1651
chaos_animagic

This Alibaba thing...

Kinda reminded me of that post I posted when Magi first started... where I said the anime was making Alibaba look more "pitiful" than the manga during the FlowerMonster scene. LOL

I guess the anime is going to be like this where they want to make Alibaba more focused like Aladdin is more focused in the manga.

But by making Alibaba into something he wasn't suppose to be changes his actual character style/ personality. (which goes with all the negative comments about Alibaba other ppls made)

Personally... I am not even sure how they'll do the future scenes (which I won't reveal),
Hint: end of previous arc's "snake bite" (leading to what's to come for Kou's prince)
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 22:06   Link #1652
Kirarakim

Maybe because I haven't read the manga but I didn't find Alibaba pitiful at all. To me it will be interesting to see how Alibaba's relationship with Hakuryuu develops.

I kind of like that Alibaba can't bring himself to like him right away it leaves room for some relationship growth.

On another note is this series ending soon. How long is this current arc?

Also Morgiana is adorable as usual. I just love her!
Old 2013-02-27, 23:58   Link #1653
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Personally I'd find it tough to like Hakuryuu right of the bat. Guy just seems so good natured that it is kind of creepy. Not to mention nothing more annoying when you are trying to accept someone for them to go into a long list of reasons why you should hate their guts . I don't know, for some reason that guy really creeped my out with how overly nice he was.

Favorite part though was still Morgiana snagging Aladdin and Alibaba with the chains . Such a likable character with her reactions and that imagination.
Old 2013-02-28, 04:35   Link #1654
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Personally I'd find it tough to like Hakuryuu right of the bat. Guy just seems so good natured that it is kind of creepy. Not to mention nothing more annoying when you are trying to accept someone for them to go into a long list of reasons why you should hate their guts . I don't know, for some reason that guy really creeped my out with how overly nice he was.

Favorite part though was still Morgiana snagging Aladdin and Alibaba with the chains . Such a likable character with her reactions and that imagination.
Hakuryuu's manner properly comes from the fact that he's Imperial prince. He was taught to behave nobly after all. And even though he a prince, he's just the son of the previous emperor. In ancient China, princes like him got killed most of the time so the current emperor's sons could have less obstacles. I imagines that Hakuryuu has always been acting formal and humble in order to fool people around him ( Make them think he's a guy with no balls and no ambition )...
Old 2013-02-28, 05:29   Link #1655
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
There isn't any single scene which does that (it's several!), but over the course of the past few eps, the director has definitely made Alibaba much angstier than he was in the manga. It comes over as a cheap way of keeping Alibaba in the spotlight.

For a few examples of added Alibaba angst, there's the scene where Sinbad had to knock him out to bring him to Sindaria, Alibaba's reactions to Hakuryuu, and especially the scene where Alibaba is talking to Sinbad and saying things like "But it might also be my conscience telling me what I really think." along with a downcast expression. With Sinbad reassuring him that even if part of his heart hates Hakuryuu enough to kill him, it'll be okay. That be angst.
...Ok, but where is the whining for no apparent reason? Where is him randomly being a bitch to people? Where is the bullshitting about how no one understand him? Where is the actual angst?
Old 2013-02-28, 07:33   Link #1656
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
...Ok, but where is the whining for no apparent reason? Where is him randomly being a bitch to people? Where is the bullshitting about how no one understand him? Where is the actual angst?
Hey, you asked for examples of angst. No need to move the goalposts and add extra conditions after you've got what you asked for.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 07:51   Link #1657
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
On another note is this series ending soon. How long is this current arc?
Yes it's ending soon, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 will be airing in this time slot from next season onwards, which while a surefire boon for the timeslots ratings is a bit of a bummer for the people already following the series OVA releases.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 09:11   Link #1658
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Hey, you asked for examples of angst. No need to move the goalposts and add extra conditions after you've got what you asked for.
I just don't feel like it's angst. He has very good reason to be mistrusting, and he is actually giving him the benefit of the doubt. Not to mention part of it is a curse speaking.
Old 2013-02-28, 11:13   Link #1659
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
just stop man, you won't get anywhere untill you either change/have same point of view as him or labelling all your post with huge tag of MY OPINION so it won't clash with any of his
Old 2013-02-28, 11:21   Link #1660
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Oh come on don't make me out to be some kind of "You can either agree with me or be wrong" type of guy. I asked what people saw as angst, he explained what it was he saw as angst, and I just SAID I don't really see it as angst since he actually has a good reason to act like that. There's not even any clash here. Just a difference of interpretation of the word "angst".

Really, "ignore the retarded guy" is no way to debate. Especially when there is no debate.

*sigh*

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-02-28 at 11:35.

Tags
action-adventure, fantasy, shounen