AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-06-21, 00:36   Link #81
remase2

ok will do.

My update for the computer project is this

my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-k8n pro-sli socket 939

processor is amd 64 with heatsink

256mb pny nvidia video card

For right now no sound card, sound is integrated with the board i think

Case is a centurion 5 cooler master which is tool free only thing is that the motherboard is not a pull out tray i think it doesn't come out of the case.

Enermax liberty psu w/ 500w total power sli compliant and I got a monitor 15" since i won't be gaming - much.
Some cables did come with the motherboard.
And that's all for now
thank you for the support.
remase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 00:50   Link #82
iceyfw

giga motherboards are bad for overclocking if you're planning to do that. imo you're better off waiting until july because prices will drop for amd then.

it would be cheaper too if you got a non-sli motherboard if you're not gaming much, right?

Last edited by iceyfw; 2006-06-21 at 01:51.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 06:18   Link #83
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
What you mean they are bad for overclocking?!

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 11:59   Link #84
iceyfw

giga motherboards dont have many capacitors and they arent made well for stability when overclocking
Old 2006-06-21, 17:26   Link #85
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Ummm... Sorry, but I overclock just fine with mine...
If you could give me a link?

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 18:45   Link #86
iceyfw

there is no link. ive talked to people who have experiences with overclocking with different motherboards and they all say stay away from giga motherboards.
Old 2006-06-27, 12:11   Link #87
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Uhh, Gigabyte is just fine these days, overclocking included. Unless you're going with some low-end one without many options, which is the same as most brands. And I'm saying this as someone with a DFI motherboard and an Opteron 165, not as someone who just happens to have a DFI and thinks it's fine.

Take a look at Gigabytes new P965 chipset motherboards for Conroe. Looking pretty nice!
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 12:35   Link #88
remase2

I need some advice on dealing with jumpers, especially on removing them. Do i pull them out with a pliers or something?
Also what are the usual drivers that have to be updated
and i have a ga-k8n pro-sli so is that high end or low end?
Old 2006-06-27, 14:27   Link #89
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

That would be towards the higher end. As for jumpers, you can use needle nose pliers if you like, or they have pullers that are like tweezers with the ends bent in... I just use my fingers though, no problems.
Old 2006-06-27, 21:27   Link #90
CaiSter21

does anyone know a specific time as to when amd will start dropping prices?

say like the beginning, middle, or end of july?
CaiSter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 22:08   Link #91
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Prices should drop around/on the 24th of July following the releae of Intel's new core.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 22:17   Link #92
CaiSter21

thanks a lot!
CaiSter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-28, 01:11   Link #93
remase2

i just want to know where to connect the hd audio my board (ga-k8n pro-sli) supports it but i don't know where to connect it

do i need a northbridge fan and i have noticed there are other holes on the motherboard that don't have metal rims so do i need to put standoffs below them

is there a certain order to which parts or components should be installed on the motherboard

my case fan and power fan connectors are four metal pins surrounded by a plastic cover and there are two connectors a male and a female where do they connect
Old 2006-06-28, 02:10   Link #94
remase2

how do i connect molex power connectors to the motherboard do the psu come with the connectors or does the motherboard or do i have to buy them
Old 2006-06-28, 10:44   Link #95
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

If you don't know that stuff, you probably shouldn't be building a computer. Or at least have an experienced friend come over and help.
Old 2006-06-28, 10:57   Link #96
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the mother board should have a manual stating what all the plugs and sockets are with little pictures.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 14:10   Link #97
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Ok here i am again with some new upgrades of my PC these are the parts I have chosen and I have some questions.
Im on a budget here so dont bash me for the parts ive chosen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121550
This seems like it will pack the punch i need upgradeing from an old Geforce FX5200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138276
Going to use this to get that stupid little Micro atx board outta my PC.

Now this is what I have questions on

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116001

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116225

One is a Dual COre and One isnt what will happen I f I use the DUal COre on 32 bit windows ? WIll i see the performance boost I want or will I need to go with the GIMP x64 edition ?

Or will the single core 3.2 Ghz Suffice ? I am really torn on this. Becuase I play some MMos and while during downtime I like to pop an anime onto my 2nd montior and watch it with out any lag of the video which is what I am getting now. Right now I have an Old Pentium 4 2.6 ghz processor about 4 years old, and I would love to upgrade.

So see if you can help me out and thanks.

Oh and if I can insist upon you to put together a Mother Board a video card and a Processor within a budget of 280 USD please help me out I dont want to upgrade anything for a while. I already have 1GB(512 x2) DDR2 240 pin ram a 250 GB SATA HD and a 40 GB IDE HD and a PCI Video crad for my 2nd monitor and finaly the old AGG trash FX5200 graphics card. You can use www.newegg.com to put together something.......

Thanks.

Last edited by mxg; 2006-07-19 at 14:25.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 16:21   Link #98
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
*snip*
I'd save up a bit more and go with one of the new conroes. The performance increase over a pentium series will be very signifigant. It's not like your system is dying, right?. Plus, you'll be able to get a much better system. You might even want to wait to see how amd will answer the conroes, but that won't be until next year. They won't even have their first 65nm processors out until december, I believe. Unless the lag you're talking about is completely intolerable, there's no need to rush.

If you do upgrade now, between the two processors you picked, go with the 805. It's insanely overclockable. Not to mention the dual core will help a lot in multi tasking, though the performance boost you'll see on individual programs will be less, as many don't take advantage of dual cores. You don't need the 64 bit version of windows to see any benefits though. Besides, both those processors have 64 bit support.

As for xp64, I don't think it deserves the bad rep it has. Microsoft has a trial version, good for 120 days, so you can see for yourself.
Old 2006-07-19, 18:31   Link #99
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
I seee well thanks for the feedback so far but yes the lag is extemely intolerable WOW running at 3.2 FPS No thanks even in less populated areas of the game at 15 FPS max no thanks again and although I know blizzard is have probs with this issue I would really like the Graphical Lag downa as well.

Plus I'd really like to upgrade. So basically what you are saying is that going with the DUal COre and running it on the 32 bit version of windows I wont get the performance boost I want to see ? Or will x64 really flesh out its power ?

Oh and last question when installing a new processor and board will I need to reinstall windows ?

Oh another thing
I ditched the other GPU i had higher up and going with either these 2 which would be best ?

Ok so Processor I went with the Dual Core and the Mother Board is A-Ok now for the GPU

I am now debateing between these 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125021

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131007

Last edited by mxg; 2006-07-19 at 18:50.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-19, 19:20   Link #100
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
So basically what you are saying is that going with the DUal COre and running it on the 32 bit version of windows I wont get the performance boost I want to see ? Or will x64 really flesh out its power ?
It doesn't really matter if you run xp32 or xp64, you'll still see a big improvement, especially in multi-tasking, like watching anime and leaving wow running. All xp64 will do is let it use it's 64 bit support, which really isn't all that important.

I was just saying xp64 got an undeserved bad rep because of lack of drivers and native 64 bit applications. But that isn't really window's fault, and the situation has improved somewhat since it's release.

As for reinstalling windows, yes you probably will have to.

As for video cards, I'm sure someone else could give you better advice.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure that mobo you picked out will support a dual core... It probably will, but you might have to update the bios first.

edit2: Nevermind, after a little research, it seems it will support a pentium d without a bios update, but it's still recommended at least if you intend to overclock.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2006-07-19 at 19:37.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building computers