AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 23.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 19.40%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.99%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-15, 23:41   Link #21
karumofin

this episode was pretty bad. i think with only 11 episodes to tell the story, episodes like this or episode 4 are unforgivable. explanations shouldnt have their own episodes, they shoul dhappen as the plot unfolds. big fat yawn from me this week.
Old 2009-05-16, 00:05   Link #22
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Hirasawa must have his own definition of NEET, it seems like he consider NEET whoever doesn't want to fit in the rigid society system. Actually it's not like he doesn't want to work, he just wants to work in a different way. Maybe he doesn't know what NEET stands for or he isn't familiar with english XD

I wonder why Johnny in this world is a popular nickname for the penis. At first I thought it was a joke, but now regardless of the country (both japan and USA) everyone understands what Johnny means.

The image browser is indeed something revolutionary, but I really doubt something like that can be feasible! XD not with our current technology, no matter how great of a programmer micchon is, this kind of thing has heavy hardware limitations.

Anyway Hirasawa is indeed an interesting character, I just wish I could better understand what exactly he's planning to do, and why exactly he encountered difficulties. I mean apart from internal problems, that image search engine is something Google would pay billion of dollars to get it if it was true, it's hard to believe he can't get funds for such an incredible program.

I think that guy is definitely Ohsugi. If it wasn't him he would be dead already. We have seen the bag, we know that the real Ohsugi is nowere to be found. That tie color is probably an art mistake. It looks like Diana is not targeting people at random. She choses her victims between despicable men. People who gets drunk and puke in the middle of the street. There was no reason for her to pick that anonymous bystander, she picked Ohsugi.

About the 20.000 johnny taker's victim, at first I was like WTF O_o. It's simply impossible that Diana chopped that many johhnys. But then i realized that Diana's victims were never found. She always told Juiz to remove any evidence so how can someone know about her and her little johhny fetish?
That guy is talking about the abduction of the 20.000 NEETs. He doesn't know that Akira himself did that. Since nothing is known about him. It is probable that for the media the disappearances of the people killed by Diana are supposed to be related to the abduction of the 20.000 NEETs. That is also probably why he doesn't seem that scared. He is not thinking that Ohsugi is going to be killed or get his johnny chopped off.
But why he calls the culprit of this abduction "johnny taker"? This johnny thing causes a lot of confusion it both means "unidentified person" (It's actually "John Doe" in our real world) and "penis".

About Diana I wonder why everyone hates her that much. She is supposed to be an evil chracter, of course she's hateful, but why you don't want her to be in the show? °°. The fact that you hate her that much proves that the storytellers reached their objective flawlessly. Of course I dislike her too, but why such a character should be dumped after a few episodes? I rather wish she'll face her righteous punishment during the climax of this series.

Old 2009-05-16, 00:16   Link #23
Amber.Dawn

I find Diana interesting. She seems to be striving towards a goal of some sort, as the previous posters have stated, yet she has a weird way of getting there/weird hobby. Well, as long as she gets what she deserves later.
Old 2009-05-16, 00:25   Link #24
suka-pon-tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
I'm amazed by that number too
but 20,000 ?? IF she cut one Johny a night. That would take...........60 years, Isn't it ? lol
That's just impossible XD
Yes, it take that long. Well, it is possible to hunt 20,000 men, if she use Juiz.
but I guess Kasuga just mixed idea about 20,000 people missing and Johny hunter. Nobody want to think about huge pile of Johny anyway.

Little note. That guy who get kidnapped and S&Med is using right hand to made rescue phone/post. And Ohsugi is left handed.

edit:

I wonder did Takizawa used "Eden of the East" system to check himself or not.
Old 2009-05-16, 00:42   Link #25
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
It'd only work if someone had entered data about him before.
Old 2009-05-16, 00:45   Link #26
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I guess I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed this because after all this time, we're finally introduced to the Eden club and we get a feel for how its members are. The characterization was pretty good all in all, which was enough to keep me fairly interested.

There was also a good mix of tension in there and I think the first few minutes of this episode did a pretty good job of playing that part up. Though I did think that the victim wasn't going to meet his end at that time, the atmosphere worked that sort of worry across rather well. Like many others, I'm wondering how the story can be finished, but as it stands, I'm definitely enjoying the ride since it's been so intriguing.
Old 2009-05-16, 02:28   Link #27
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
Yes, it take that long. Well, it is possible to hunt 20,000 men, if she use Juiz.
but I guess Kasuga just mixed idea about 20,000 people missing and Johny hunter. Nobody want to think about huge pile of Johny anyway.

Little note. That guy who get kidnapped and S&Med is using right hand to made rescue phone/post. And Ohsugi is left handed.

edit:

Good eye on that, but again there is that whole focus on the Ohsugi's bag at the end of episode 5 and the beginning of this episode; if that doesnt prove he was confined to Diana's apartment himself, then at the very least she has confiscated his personal belongings for an unknown reason (as of this point in the story anyway). Now maybe there is something important within the contents of his bag that we dont know about but I'm doubting it.
Old 2009-05-16, 02:50   Link #28
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

So that's what Eden of the East means, a pretty powerful image search engine. I can see a bit of how Akira intends to save the nation by funding this programme, turning it into a "paradise for NEETs".

Hirazawa sure has a strict view on NEETs, he even considers his own entrepreneurial lifestyle as a form of NEET simply because he's not employed in the normal way.

If Ohsugi can survive this episode to call for help, then there's a high chance he'll be saved.

Is 20,000 some sort of magic number within the Selecao? First Akira spirits away 20,000 NEETs, and now Diana is said to have chopped off 20,000 penises.

BTW, Mittan kawaii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I wonder why Johnny in this world is a popular nickname for the penis. At first I thought it was a joke, but now regardless of the country (both japan and USA) everyone understands what Johnny means.
Some in Britain call them Willy. And of course, there's the short form of Richard, if you know what I mean.
Old 2009-05-16, 03:11   Link #29
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Strange episode. Not much of an answer to the earlier mysteries, just raised more questions. It was a wee bit too slow for my liking.

Spoiler for again, nothing personal. Don't read if you are fanboy/fangirl:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-16 at 03:39.
Old 2009-05-16, 03:18   Link #30
Envoy
SacrificeSheep2God

The mysterious song turned up in full this episode.
Old 2009-05-16, 03:19   Link #31
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
So that's what Eden of the East means, a pretty powerful image search engine. I can see a bit of how Akira intends to save the nation by funding this programme, turning it into a "paradise for NEETs".
Eden of the East is the name of the recycle club, and what Akira is funding is Hirasawa's project, which doesn't necessarily revolves around the programme.

In fact, the programme was useful to them only because of Saki. She used it to show people that there's more than meets the eyes about the objects they were recycling. The value they couldn't see.

Indeed, Saki's involvement in Hirasawa's project seems to be the most important to him right now. He believes she has the creativity and leadership he lacks (or so he claims). If his project was all about the Eden programme, there would no need for him to be so intent on having Saki working with them.

Call me simplistic, but I think Hirasawa's idea is still revolving around recycle. After all, that was the activity of the club he set up.
Old 2009-05-16, 03:36   Link #32
~BC~

I'm glad we finally get to learn something about Saki's friends and to have that storyline connect with Akira's. Hirasawa was definitely different than how I figured he'd be based on the earlier episodes. Kind of quirky and stubborn but amusing as well. He seems pretty fond and over-protective of Saki and clearly has no problems deferring to her judgement. Onee looks to be a fun character too. And while Micchon was cute she doesn't have the annoying high-pitched sugary voice that usually turns me off such characters (could use some meat though).

Nice set-up for the next episode as well (yay, for pro-active hostages). And what do you know, all that texting Oosugi did was apparently good for something.

BTW, is there some official description somewhere specifically highlighting that Oosugi is left-handed? Because from what's been shown so far he could be ambidextrous.
Old 2009-05-16, 04:50   Link #33
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Yeah I didn't enjoy this episode whatsoever. I just kept feeling board and waiting for it to end, the exposition was just way too heavy with no worthwhile pay-off. And their use of the word "NEET" seems.... off. To this guy, NEET simply means young(ish) people or the disenfranchised. He's a NEET even though he's seemingly self-employed?
I think Hirasawa said something about being almost a Go-getter NEET which must be a little different to actual NEET.

I think this is one of those Japanese terms where subs just don't quite cut it.

Regarding Oosugi. I'm pretty sure he thought calling the police was out of the question since he couldn't speak. It's a mistery how he came to the conclusion that texting his freinds would be harder than posting a web on his phone.

Other than that, I had no real problem with the exposition or comedy bits myself.

Last edited by Haak; 2009-05-16 at 05:05.
Old 2009-05-16, 05:04   Link #34
suka-pon-tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It'd only work if someone had entered data about him before.
This is just a my personal opinion, if I had same situation as Takizawa have, I would check my self anyway. There is possibility that Takizawa use to go same school as Saki go or he use to know "Eden of the East" system before he erase his memory. I might wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlson View Post
Good eye on that, but again there is that whole focus on the Ohsugi's bag at the end of episode 5 and the beginning of this episode; if that doesnt prove he was confined to Diana's apartment himself, then at the very least she has confiscated his personal belongings for an unknown reason (as of this point in the story anyway). Now maybe there is something important within the contents of his bag that we dont know about but I'm doubting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
BTW, is there some official description somewhere specifically highlighting that Oosugi is left-handed? Because from what's been shown so far he could be ambidextrous.
No, There is no official description about he is lefter. Yes, he could be ambidextrous. I should`ve say Ohsugi use his left hand for phone.

Hmmm....there is possibility that Shiratori kidnapped both men, Ohsugi and other guy (who was on same street with umbrella, he wore same color pants as Ohsugi wore.)
uguaa...too much eye tricking for let us misread. Kamiyama sure love hack people`s sight!

Last edited by suka-pon-tan; 2009-05-16 at 05:32.
Old 2009-05-16, 05:12   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm pretty sure that Oosugi. That was his bag and his phone. Even if he was wearing a different tie.
Old 2009-05-16, 06:53   Link #36
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'm getting really confused by this show. I mean, Hirasawa doesn't even seem to understand what the word NEET even is. Recycling -> Computers -> NEETs? HUH?

Also, I honestly can't trust that Hirasawa is into being a NEET just for philosophy's sakes. Most NEETs are the way due to being stuck in a cycle and not because they enjoy being there. That's what it seems to me. Also, Hirasawa is too much of an extrovert to be a NEET.

Magnum .44, eh? Johnny's? Namedropping anime is namedropping!
Old 2009-05-16, 07:10   Link #37
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wow Ohsugi's hand dominance is kinda puzzling. He definitely uses his left hand whenever he uses the phone (both episode 2 and episode 5) however he uses the right hand for his gestures on the train in episode 5, he then uses his right hand to drink (at the restaurant) and he uses the right hand to carry his bag.

Certainly this is strange if he was right handed he couldn't use his left hand to use the phone, and even in the case he is ambidextrous he should be used to use the left when dealing with his phone. Anyway apart from the tie color everything matches his appearance as it was shown on episode 5, plus that's his phone and his bag.
I'm still convinced that he's Ohsugi and Diana for some reasons will change her mind and she will decide to use him rather than kill him.

And yes the whole idea that he manages to send pictures to a website with a mobile phone he can't look at is kinda ridiculous. Sending a message or calling a friend would be more logical and easier. Even if he can't talk a friend would recognize his phone number and understand he's got a problem.

Old 2009-05-16, 07:18   Link #38
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm getting really confused by this show. I mean, Hirasawa doesn't even seem to understand what the word NEET even is. Recycling -> Computers -> NEETs? HUH?

Also, I honestly can't trust that Hirasawa is into being a NEET just for philosophy's sakes. Most NEETs are the way due to being stuck in a cycle and not because they enjoy being there. That's what it seems to me. Also, Hirasawa is too much of an extrovert to be a NEET.
Both are seen as a reaction by Japanese youth against the more traditional career path of salaryman, according to wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEET

It may also explain why Hirasawa considers himself a NEET. According to wikipedia a 'freeter' can refer to a freelance worker aswell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeter
Old 2009-05-16, 07:38   Link #39
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Hirasawa is a bit of a hypocrite too IMHO. "I'm gonna stay a go-getter NEET" <==> "I wanna be the manager of my company" ("And Saki gonna be my employee").
WTF lad, make up your mind!

I'm fairly sure that guy in the mask is Oohsugi, but it's kinda careless from the creators, that he's having a different tie. Is #11 having some kinda even more immensely irrational fetish, when she changes the ties of her victims before cutting their wieners down?
Spoiler for grotesque thing discussion, really not for the weak-of-stomach:
Old 2009-05-16, 07:41   Link #40
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well Freeter and NEET should be two different things, but it looks like Hirasawa thinks of them as the same thing. According to this definition someone like Ryukishi07, the author of Higurashi and Umineko, should be also considered a NEET, only because he's working on a doujin circle rather than bein employed in a big company. Despite the fact that he's working hard and he's selling his works worlwide

Spoiler for answer to izmosmolnar:

Closed Thread