AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-16, 07:08   Link #3081
noktown

Wow,what a broken arc.

On top of being strong before Nen,everyone possessing human genes will also be able to use nen now.

Furthermore the Royal Guards are born with tremendous power....wow....Hisoka would probably enjoy this,too bad he misses so much fun.

But then again,Hisoka would probably as always take care of things effortlessly.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 07:22   Link #3082
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Hm? I thought they weren't capable of reproduction.
Indeed they're not. Their sexual organs never develop, but they're female organs.

Which means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah, contrary to what we often see in movies and cartoons, workers and soldiers are fems. So, there’s no “brothers-in-arms” among ants, only “sisters-in-arms” .

That said, I think this arc is such a missed opportunity. If Togashi really knew his things, we can get plenty of hot and cute ant-ladies for Gon & co to fight .
... at best they'd all be pettankos. Might as well not bother.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 07:52   Link #3083
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... at best they'd all be pettankos. Might as well not bother.
You’re forgetting that these are “mutant ants”. Anything is possible regarding their bodies . I mean, look at our Scorpion-girl. She’s hot and we could have a lot more enemies like her . It can both add a unique element as well as eyecandy.

That said, even pettankos can be cute or hot :P.
Old 2013-06-16, 08:02   Link #3084
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Indeed they're not. Their sexual organs never develop, but they're female organs.
Biologists sure makes some weird rules then. If they're not capable of reproduction, what good is gender classification?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 08:09   Link #3085
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Biologists sure makes some weird rules then. If they're not capable of reproduction, what good is gender classification?
Just imagine it as women with flat chests and under-developed Miss Vs. They might not be able to reproduce, but they’re still (working) women.
Old 2013-06-16, 08:10   Link #3086
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Yeah, by that reasoning, one could ask the same question of men and women who struggle with infertility... but that's heading down a rather unpleasant rhetorical path.

At least this show never fails to provide fodder for debate, I guess.
Old 2013-06-16, 08:34   Link #3087
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
In ants, sex classification is based on Haplodiploidy, rather than the classic system that you're thinking of.

Males are haploids. Females are Diploids.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 08:40   Link #3088
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
You’re forgetting that these are “mutant ants”. Anything is possible regarding their bodies .
In that case, penises are possible, and we're back where we started.

(Probably the combination of penis and boobs, in the case of Neferpitou.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 08:50   Link #3089
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
In that case, penises are possible, and we're back where we started.
I don't think so. There's still a difference between hot futanaris and macho-men .
Old 2013-06-16, 08:55   Link #3090
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I wonder what the kids who discovered the series with the remake think of this arc. The change of tone is quite abrupt, even more so in the anime since it used to be heavily censored. Pokkle's fate was downright horrifying.
Old 2013-06-16, 09:58   Link #3091
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Heavily censored? When?
Old 2013-06-16, 10:36   Link #3092
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Wow,what a broken arc.

On top of being strong before Nen,everyone possessing human genes will also be able to use nen now.

Furthermore the Royal Guards are born with tremendous power....wow....Hisoka would probably enjoy this,too bad he misses so much fun.

But then again,Hisoka would probably as always take care of things effortlessly.
Yeah, this arc is EXTREEEEEEEEMELY broken, like wtf. There's a reason why the "big guys" (i.e. hisoka, spiders, Zoldyck family) are left out. But the Broken-ness of the ants in this arc is SUPPOSED to lead to a HUGE arc later on down the line. . .except that Togashi stopped writting/drawing the story at a certain point and has been on "Hiatus" for a about a year. . .with no indication of returning.(he's playing dragon quest X I guess haha.)

I kinda think he should just write the rest of the story as a book and be done with it.

@Kanon
Yeah that was pretty crazy stuff, even for me I was like damn. . .the animation of that part made me renew my hate for Pitou.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-06-16 at 11:40.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 10:42   Link #3093
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Heavily censored? When?
IIRC I think one example would be how Killua (during the Hunter exam) ripped the heart of his convict opponent without any blood appeared on screen (if you can count that as “censorship”). Not only that, IIRC there are some other blood-less bloody-scenes in this anime.
Old 2013-06-16, 11:05   Link #3094
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
IIRC I think one example would be how Killua (during the Hunter exam) ripped the heart of his convict opponent without any blood appeared on screen (if you can count that as “censorship”). Not only that, IIRC there are some other blood-less bloody-scenes in this anime.
Yeah, the Hunter exam in particular had a lot of censorship. Even the backstory of that guy Killua fought was greatly toned down.
I remember the first events with Hisoka (in episode 5, i think) were quite troubling, there was a "Star Wars situation" where they made him be attacked first. I was afraid they would butch the character making him more sympathetic, but fortunately they didn't.

Last edited by Goty; 2013-06-16 at 11:15.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 12:10   Link #3095
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
I'm not sure if that can count as "heavy" censorship since he still pulled a guy's heart out.
Old 2013-06-16, 12:19   Link #3096
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 84-
Spoiler for Part 1:

-------------------
Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 12:28   Link #3097
Kazu-kun

Too much filler in this episode. And this time it really was pointless.

The lion ant reaction (his retreat) could have come out right after the battle from last week, which is like it happened in the manga. There was no need to pull yet another fight out of their asses for this. That was just pointless padding.

It's a pity they decided to do this, because if they didn't add that filler fight, they could have ended the episode right after THAT scene, which would have been a freaking awesome cliffhanger.
Old 2013-06-16, 12:34   Link #3098
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol the pic with the King looks like Freezer

Anyway , i wish Hisoka will come there , i want to see him trolling Ants
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 12:38   Link #3099
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
In ants, sex classification is based on Haplodiploidy, rather than the classic system that you're thinking of.

Males are haploids. Females are Diploids.
Indeed. Unlike the mammal sex chromosomes (I'm sure everyone's heard of XX and XY), male ants simply have one chromosome instead of two (haploid). In other words, they only have half as much genetic material, and because of the way sexual reproduction works, always provide the exact same genetic material to their children.

Which means every female ant in a colony (which is most of them) shares all of their father's genes, and half of their mother's genes. So every sister is 75% genetically related, which makes them more related to their sisters than to their parents. It has been theorized that this is why they're so likely to develop their eusocial societies compared to other animals and even other insects (who do not have this idiosyncratic difference between males and females): genetically speaking they're actually better off raising more "sisters" than they are having children of their own. The more new queens are born in your colony, the more their genes will spread. In terms of instincts, ants love their sisters more than they love their children.

Anyway, Chimera Ants are also weird on top of that, but the point is that directly comparing gender for humans and gender for ants is misguided in the first place. It just means something completely different, biologically.

IIRC though, there is at least one species of ants in Australia where every member of the colony is fertile. They just don't breed until the queen dies.

Last edited by Clarste; 2013-06-16 at 12:53.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 13:08   Link #3100
Diveman

I feel they went easy on us lol, I remember reading this episode in the manga and I was like "oh holy shit" at the Pitou scene with the "mind reading" stuff.

BTW I could never figure out, what kind of animal is that girl in the group with the Lion and the other insect?
Diveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen