AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-12, 10:57   Link #1
Qwazar

Some title, that is not on the front two pages.

Alright, I had made this a 'best of 2010' thread, but then noticed, that there is a thread just like it on the second page. Sorry bout that! And thanks to anyone that answered anyways. I am going to do it a bit differently then- I am interested in an anime, where the protagonist is someone that you would expect to see in the background- maybe as a friend of the 'real' protagonist. I have found that I really really like the 'sidekicks', especialy in sort of school comedies and stuff.

It would also work, if it was a very large cast (I adore character-driven stories), with no really discernable main characters. Now I have seen lots (and I mean LOTS) of 2007 and earlier anime, so it would be nice to have something newer suggested.

Genre is not important, I would like to see humour, but not as the central reason for the show. Bonus points for character driven series.

Now what I mean by 'background' style character is, not someone that is 'the sort of perfect girl with some flaw' or 'the awkward guy that really likes a girl/wants to be the very best pokemon master/wants to be the strongest ninja//samurai//pirate//shinigami', but people like The Group Clown, The Loveable Pervert, The Delinquent, The Brainy Serious Guy, The Foreign Girl, The Clever Girl, The Group Mum, etcetera etcetera. In the end, I as always am on my continuing quest for the truly original protagonist. These are some of the character archetypes I really like, and I hope you catch my meaning, but if you can not think of anything like this, a character that you consider truly original would do great as well.

Edit: Edit: It would be great if someone told me how to change the title, if at all possible.

Last edited by Qwazar; 2010-12-12 at 11:38.
Old 2010-12-12, 11:16   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This year? I would have to say Katanagatari, Tatami Galaxy, Durarara!! and Cross game
Old 2010-12-12, 13:18   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Cross Game is so elite that even though it has the best main character of 2009-10, several of the supporting characters are lead-quality and have full-sized character arcs (plus, it's the best show of the period).
Old 2010-12-12, 14:30   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Cross Game

Full Metal Alchemist gets an honorable mention.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-12-12, 14:39   Link #5
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Here's a pretty resent thread which covered the subject.
Old 2010-12-12, 14:54   Link #6
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Guys,the OP edited the post but can't change the title!!

Anyway...

Quote:
It would also work, if it was a very large cast (I adore character-driven stories), with no really discernable main characters
Since i've just marathoned this: Shiki has a really large cast and might be what you're looking for
Old 2010-12-12, 15:07   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazar View Post
It would also work, if it was a very large cast (I adore character-driven stories), with no really discernable main characters. Now I have seen lots (and I mean LOTS) of 2007 and earlier anime, so it would be nice to have something newer suggested.
Given the revised request, I think you should give House of Five Leaves a try. It's pretty much an ensemble effort. It's also my other contender for best of 2010 with Cross Game. Durarara!! might also qualify.

Among older series, have you seen Baccano! or Oh! Edo Rocket? Both have large casts with a variety of well-told stories.
Old 2010-12-13, 05:25   Link #8
Qwazar

Cheers for everyone that read the first post . Baccano! was awesome, and anything like it would be perfect. Looking into Cross Game (took me a while to get it, since baseball and the drawing style aren't really my favorites, but everyone seems to be loving it so much I guess it can't be bad.) Getting House of Five Leaves next.
Old 2010-12-13, 05:29   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Hath Cross Game been mentioned yet?

You can't go wrong with Tatami Galaxy either.
Old 2010-12-13, 11:39   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kuagehime might be another good option. The side characters are certainly vibrant.
Old 2010-12-13, 17:35   Link #11
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Looking into Cross Game (took me a while to get it, since baseball and the drawing style aren't really my favorites, but everyone seems to be loving it so much I guess it can't be bad.)
Wether it's here or in the cross game thread,wether it's positive or negative,once you give it a try i'd definatly like to hear the impressions of someone like you who might not have considered watching it.
Old 2010-12-13, 18:39   Link #12
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Seconding Shiki, Durarara!!, and Kuragehime.

Shigofumi and Angel Beats! may count.
Old 2010-12-13, 18:42   Link #13
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm going to third Shiki a very good anime for this year
Old 2010-12-14, 03:54   Link #14
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Cheers for everyone that read the first post . Baccano! was awesome, and anything like it would be perfect.
Then I definitely recommend Durarara!!.
Old 2010-12-15, 14:59   Link #15
Qwazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Wether it's here or in the cross game thread,wether it's positive or negative,once you give it a try i'd definatly like to hear the impressions of someone like you who might not have considered watching it.
It's pretty fun so far. Or should I say good. There are some (inescapable?) clichees in it, but overall it seems to be a lovely series. I will almost definately watch all of it. Heck, I have a bit of an idea what baseball is about now, and while I am still not a big fan of the art style, I think it just might grow on me.

Durarara!! will probably be the next in line then, we shall see what happens later.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, even those that think this is still a Best of 2010 thread.

Edit: Okais watched first few episodes of Durarara!!, and have to say that it has everything that is good about anime in my opinion, might be superior to Cross Game in my opinion. It's not THAT similar to Baccano! tho. So far.

Last edited by Qwazar; 2010-12-15 at 16:47.
Old 2010-12-15, 22:40   Link #16
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Well, of course Durarara!! would be different than Baccano!. One takes place in 1930's era America and the other takes place in modern-day Ikebukuro. Don't worry, you'll start seeing the distinctive genius storytelling when the plot kicks into full gear.
Old 2010-12-16, 00:14   Link #17
Shirozakii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
This year? I would have to say Katanagatari, Tatami Galaxy, Durarara!! and Cross game
Katanagatari and Durarara are one of those animes that just take ur breath away, Cross game could've been better and i'm goign to find tatami galaxy right now
Old 2010-12-16, 00:15   Link #18
Shirozakii

Quote:

Edit: Okais watched first few episodes of Durarara!!, and have to say that it has everything that is good about anime in my opinion, might be superior to Cross Game in my opinion. It's not THAT similar to Baccano! tho. So far.
haha dont worry, its almost exactly like baccano!, except this one has a more conclusive ending.
Closed Thread