AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-11-04, 23:23   Link #161
Jiah

Eee, I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to that chat! I kept reminding myself but when it came down to the night it just totally slipped my mind D:

I'm sure everyone sounded really great, and I'm glad you guys liked mine and Gip's piece >3<

Good luck to everyone in voting!
Jiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 17:32   Link #162
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
ahh what? I missed out on it again. T___T oh well, I'm busy anyway.. hahah. (the last time I checked this forum this thread wasn't up yet... ><;;; My friend and I were going to enter but.. oh well. XD)

Can't wait to hear everyone. =) I sometimes listen to your entries while I ... do assignments. XD
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 17:58   Link #163
Caldron
Aria feels good....

Location: In my cube (it looked kinda rectangular though, he says)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
How else would i know about pepernoten and speculaas

Not much useful to add, i can only repeat what i said earlier about how great it was. I'm glad i noticed this thread in time. It's a bit of a pity that there was only 25 people or so listening. This event really deserved a lot more attention than it got for the hard work people put in to this.
I agree, it shouldn't go to waste like that. Actually this event is quite interesting, I'm sure most people would like to listen to your voices if this was spread out Why don't we all make a "campaign" in the next time?

Caldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 20:15   Link #164
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

there was a "campaign" of sorts, once.... and there ended up being almost 100 people who participated and the broadcast was 7.5 hours.... ^^;;
Old 2007-11-05, 20:53   Link #165
Cz
Needs more sleep~

That 7.5 long broadcast was tiring. The in-channel comments died down as the broadcast dragged on, not to mention more work for everyone to vote and the judges to judge. Unless Caldron's intention is to have more people listen, not sing.
Cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 21:31   Link #166
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
Sorry - small holdup with the file (I do have the file in my computer if anyone wants to hack into my computer to get it or something :P). So until I get it straightened out, here are the non-competing entries.

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KPEFPB2E

Badongo: http://www.badongo.com/file/5023754

Rapidshare:http://rapidshare.com/files/67741596...CIII_.zip.html
Old 2007-11-05, 21:49   Link #167
Chibi Nasu
Katsu~n wa Hyoutei

Send a message via AIM to Chibi Nasu Send a message via MSN to Chibi Nasu Send a message via Yahoo to Chibi Nasu
Yay~! *listens to Shiemi and Shinndou's non-comp entries again*
Chibi Nasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 22:03   Link #168
wao
OK.

Well personally I'd rather the competition get more publicized, but find some other way to deal with a large number of contestants. Like grouping them into stages and having people vote amongst those, and then only the contestants who make it to the final round get aired on a shoutcast, so you have a relatively short broadcast but many listeners. Oh wait, but that requires you to sing different songs for 2 stages, not good... well, alternatively you can only air the best as picked by the judges and then have further voting among those? (And the rest can be distributed by torent?)

Having more listeners eventually will mean that more people will also feel like participating.

I have to say I was totally bowled over at how well everyone can pronounce Japanese though. I would have honestly thought none of the serious singers were not Japanese...
Old 2007-11-05, 23:05   Link #169
GipFace

find some other way to deal with a large number... Like grouping them into stages... only the contestants who make it to the final round get aired on a shoutcast

I don't like this idea at all. The great part about this contest is that every entry is accepted and played. I mean, how else are we going to get our super-manly testosterone fix? It's a casual event and not giving everyone a piece of the limelight would ruin it.

Having said that, I have two ideas...
1. Split the contest over two days - The weekend is two days long, so why not?
2. Three-minute entry cap - This was imposed in the first round of AnimeNorth's J-Star and it worked out quite well. It would mean that in the worst case, 150 entries would have to be played for the event to last 7.5 hours, and that's if everything was exactly 3:00.

kcl822, if you don't have time to host the Winter solo competition, I'm sure you could find someone who would be eagerly willing to fill in. Heck, I'll do it as a last resort... as long as it's not too much trouble. The Winter one always gets the most entries, so it would be a real shame if it were canceled.

Oh, and thanks for putting up the non-comp entries!
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 00:24   Link #170
Mysticmidnightmaiden
is Ultra Relaxed

Send a message via AIM to Mysticmidnightmaiden
Darn, I missed KaraComp this time around... I wouldn't have been able to sing (Sore throat), but I would have loved listening to the stream. Guess I'll just have to satisfy my karaoke hunger with the non-competitive entries...
Mysticmidnightmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 05:24   Link #171
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cz View Post
That 7.5 long broadcast was tiring. The in-channel comments died down as the broadcast dragged on, not to mention more work for everyone to vote and the judges to judge. Unless Caldron's intention is to have more people listen, not sing.
I think the duration of the competition was fine. But only 25 people or so on the stream listening was saddening.

And even if more people want to participate than doing the broadcast over multiple days sound as a good option. Though for the extra work for the judges and people who host it... i have no idea how to solve that... Perhaps more people who do the stream. But in the end there will be a need of more time and manpower to get it going.

As for a simple way to get more listeners. I think a simple forum announcement after the closing of the submitions would of helped a lot to make people aware of it.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 09:54   Link #172
Caldron
Aria feels good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cz View Post
Yes, I want more people to listen, because it deserves such meaning. I've heard so many "oh darn, I've missed it". And 100 people is far much better than 20 right? Also, a broadcast isn't actually what I was having in mind, but rather spreading it out through the internet, or even AS, since there's actually not many people who actually read this sticky...

Old 2007-11-06, 12:12   Link #173
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Of course I thought about those things before. And like GipFace said, the beauty of this is that anyone can have their time in the spotlight (great, now you made me remember that cute song with the guys singing, which was good in terms of singing, btw). In fact, I had people asking me to either announce it everywhere and cut back on the entries that gets broadcasted (meaning to do it in elimination stages) for years, but hey, I'm stubborn.
If this gets bigger, there are other logistics to consider, like which ones are getting broadcasted, where to get the server (and remember, bandwidth is not free), voting, and prizes (international shipping is not cheap, if you were wondering). Of course, there are also time constraints. First of all, time zones of the people listening has to be taken into consideration. Also, how long will the contest run, how long for voting, etc. This is one of the reasons we can run this competition semi-frequently. If that was not the case, it would be have to be run every other year or so!
And of course, the schedule of the people running this needs to be considered as well. But any new ideas are welcome - like they say, 2 heads are better than 1!

Btw, the listeners were around 32.

PS: I'm working on uploading the file somewhere, so hopefully it'll be out by the end of the day today.
Old 2007-11-06, 12:39   Link #174
Shiemi
Counting days

I got back to my homeland last night. I missed everything! Glad I was now able to listen to the non competing entries. (Thanks for putting them for download so fast, kcl!) They were so nice! Well, except the ones featuring me, perhaps.
Shiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 14:05   Link #175
Caldron
Aria feels good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl822 View Post
Of course I thought about those things before. And like GipFace said, the beauty of this is that anyone can have their time in the spotlight (great, now you made me remember that cute song with the guys singing, which was good in terms of singing, btw). In fact, I had people asking me to either announce it everywhere and cut back on the entries that gets broadcasted (meaning to do it in elimination stages) for years, but hey, I'm stubborn.
If this gets bigger, there are other logistics to consider, like which ones are getting broadcasted, where to get the server (and remember, bandwidth is not free), voting, and prizes (international shipping is not cheap, if you were wondering). Of course, there are also time constraints. First of all, time zones of the people listening has to be taken into consideration. Also, how long will the contest run, how long for voting, etc. This is one of the reasons we can run this competition semi-frequently. If that was not the case, it would be have to be run every other year or so!
And of course, the schedule of the people running this needs to be considered as well. But any new ideas are welcome - like they say, 2 heads are better than 1!

Btw, the listeners were around 32.

PS: I'm working on uploading the file somewhere, so hopefully it'll be out by the end of the day today.
My suggestions would be:
- About timezones, you can always broadcast it twice (at the time and, 12hours later, someone else could broadcast)
- If we all do something, this contest will actually be spreaded out. Even if it's only 100 people hearing it, it will grow a lot faster. Because those 100 are likely to hear next time and tell more people.
- It would be good if each contest had the next contest date already set, so people wouldn't forget so easily.

Old 2007-11-07, 00:05   Link #176
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

After all that wait (wait, it's only been like 3 days or so), here's the whole broadcast. Still working in torrenting it, so until then, here are the places where you can download it from.

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M6Z7KFO4

Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/67968343...n_III.zip.html

Badongo: http://www.badongo.com/file/5037605

Sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4qntsd

There will be 2 set of winners this time -- the popular vote and the judge's vote (I need to come up with a cooler name one of these days). This time, the judge's panel are 4 people including myself. Should be interesting.

Instructions on voting

-Give each entry a numeric score between 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Decimal points are welcomed but don't go crazy with a number like 4.66666666666666666.
-Email the scores to kcl822@gmail.com. Subject line should have the word "karaoke" so I don't delete it by accident.
-If you are one of the participants, you cannot vote for your own entries for obvious reasons.
-Add your nickname to the email so I know who you are. If you are one of those who have a lot of nicknames, please add them all. Don't make me cross-reference them.
-If you want to add comments, please do so. I will gather them all at the end of the week and post them. They will be anonymous so you don't have to worry about retribution.
-The deadline for voting is November 13th at 11:59p.m. EST. The scores will be posted the following day.

Reminder: mine does not count.
Old 2007-11-07, 00:59   Link #177
GipFace

but don't go crazy with a number like 4.66666666666666666.
0.999... = 1

Email the scores
Something wrong with the site again? :/
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 12:45   Link #178
basket
World's first BBSing cat

Send a message via ICQ to basket Send a message via AIM to basket Send a message via MSN to basket Send a message via Yahoo to basket
For people who may have problems downloading from the links kcl posted, I've mirrored both the competing and non-competing entries.

Competing entries can be found here, and non-competing entries here.

Enjoy!!! And happy voting!
basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 13:38   Link #179
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I thought I posted a comment after the competition was over but while skimming back through the pages of the thread I didn't notice any. Shame on me!

It was really fun listening to all the entries, and I honestly thought they were all rather good overall. I'm not a regular of this contest (this is like my second time taking notice of this, after the previous karacom) but it was fun getting to know all the other people who partecipated, both among the competing and non-competing ones. Btw GipFace, I freaking want to steal your voice. The "SUKI SUKI SUKI" bit is now hopelessly stuck in my head and I end up singing unconsciously while I'm on the bus to university. Damn you, haha.

Oh, and thanks for uploading both entries, I totally missed the non-competing ones. I'm really looking forward to the next comp (is it going to be solo, or duets again?).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-08, 21:01   Link #180
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

FYI, the next one's is the singles.
When it will be run? Who knows. I really should create a mailing list one of these days...

Tags
karaoke competition