AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-04, 21:30   Link #461
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The 2012 anime of Black Rock Shooter is one I really enjoyed despite it being majorly detested or criticised by either fans of the original OVA or music video concepts or people pointing out it's over-exaggerated melodrama and silly characters. The "real world" segments in general is what brought it down really, and honestly from what I liked about the show I say I could do without those too.

That said, the Otherworld aspects were fantastic. It had one of my favorite all-female casts ever often combating each other in very brutal and unforgiving ways. The animation being good accentuated it, and it at least did a decent job telling a interesting psychological story.

The only other BRS concept that looks more interesting to me is the game one, which I have yet to play, but will as soon as it's localization is released.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:20   Link #462
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

While not everyone seems to hate Muv-Luv: Total Eclipse but most people complained the amount of fanservice and bad CG. What makes Muv-Luv good for me it reminds the good old days of Vandread and Macross Frontier but only darker.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:37   Link #463
Kirito-Kun

Hayate No Gotoku. It's not necessarily hated? But it's not popular, so I guess people dislike it.

Although, I don't think that 88 episodes should last you 3 days..

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-06 at 19:40. Reason: Please edit rather than double-posting
Old 2013-01-06, 17:58   Link #464
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Explain further.
You've never read Tv Tropes?

A lot of tropes that seem to happen in anime happened in K actually. Or, I guess I should say, it seems like it was basically a bunch of marketing execs looking at a whole bunch of anime/manga, picking out what was the most popular, and making their own version of it.

That's what I meant. But you should check out the Tv tropes site..it's addictive
Old 2013-01-06, 18:22   Link #465
Witheirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedybearsoka View Post
truthfully an anime i like is (the world god only knows) and its so funny but my sis and a lot of my friends hate it-
im still watching it but its about a guy who made a deal with the devil and now he kind of has to be a playboy because he has to round up lost souls and the only way to do that is to make the person fall in love with him and that's a problem
How come someone hate The World God Only Knows! But, well, everyone has different taste I think.

Actually, compared to most harem show, I must say that TWGOK is brilliant. It's very self-aware of many tropes introduced in Harem show. The MC is not a dumb and dense character. And, he's quite serious with each of his target. And, I must say that Keima Katsuragi (the MC) is not a playboy... He not focus on multiple girl at the same time. Instead, he pursue one girl at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Hey, if you want an example of "anime you love but 'everyone else hates'", here's a good one for me. Personally, I loved Endless Eight; I found it totally fascinating from a meta perspective, and a very interesting way of conveying the inherent frustration that was intended as the point of the arc. Watching how the different episode directors/storyboard artists retold the same story was fascinating to me. And of course watching the frustration play out in the fanbase was also quite an experience. Maybe these aren't all the normal reasons to like something, but I was entertained. I will watch it again at some point; one of the most interesting (and controversial) modern art experiments of the last decade, in my view.
I'm quite happy to see Endless Eight mentioned here. Adding to what relentlessflame said, I must say that the torture while watching for almost 2 months of the same story in Endless Eight is a great experience. We get the same experience of a certain character in the story that make us feel sorry of her. And, after that, watch The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The torture will be paid here. It's like having a meal after a few days without foods.
Old 2013-01-06, 19:49   Link #466
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
That's what I meant. But you should check out the Tv tropes site..it's addictive
The only thing I'd say, and not to derail into a side-topic too much, is that being "addicted" to that sort of site really draws your attention to the old saying "there's nothing new under the sun". I've seen some people almost lose their ability to love anime because they become more focused on how many tropes something employed (and thus "how original it is") than whether it's entertaining/fun/enjoyable, even though the site clearly states that tropes are, themselves, neither good nor bad. (This isn't directed at you by any means; just a general observation.)

I'm a firm believer in applying your brain to everything you watch, but sometimes if you combine that with the collect database powers of the Internet, I just think it can backfire for some people. On the other hand, some others find anime more fun as a result of recognizing all the patterns. I guess all I'll say is just don't become "that guy/gal" (that person) who can't participate in any anime conversation without constantly hot-linking tropes everywhere, because that's just annoying IMO...

Anyway, a thought in the spirit of of being able to find anime you love even though everyone else hates it, I guess.
Old 2013-01-06, 22:21   Link #467
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
A lot of tropes that seem to happen in anime happened in K actually. Or, I guess I should say, it seems like it was basically a bunch of marketing execs looking at a whole bunch of anime/manga, picking out what was the most popular, and making their own version of it.
And that's a problem?
Oh, I also know of TvTropes. It's just that I don't see it as a problem if a production team decides to go for popular plot ideas, just as long as the end-product is enjoyable.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:21   Link #468
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Time to rattle some sabres: while Endless Eight in The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi isn't an anime per se, it is infamous for being one of the most controversial decisions in the anime community. Having watched it, I conclude that it is amusing to watch for all of the minor differences in the subtle background elements over the course of eight episodes. I also get to laugh about it because I watched Endless Eight long after it ended and thus, knew what to expect in full
It's amazing to see just how many people hate the Endless Eight series of episodes. I went into it like most, and I watched it weekly. By the third episode it 100% clicked with me that this would repeat for the entire eight times. When that happened, I started treating it as a pseudo-mystery, trying to play detective and find just what changed every time so a conclusion could be reached. That feeling when Kyon found the same thing I did was seriously glorious. Ironically, what slightly hindered my enjoyment during its airing were the people who were sending me messages and leaving comments saying Endless Eight was downright unbearable; it was quite the annoyance at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
The 2012 anime of Black Rock Shooter is one I really enjoyed despite it being majorly detested or criticised by either fans of the original OVA or music video concepts or people pointing out it's over-exaggerated melodrama and silly characters. The "real world" segments in general is what brought it down really, and honestly from what I liked about the show I say I could do without those too.

That said, the Otherworld aspects were fantastic. It had one of my favorite all-female casts ever often combating each other in very brutal and unforgiving ways. The animation being good accentuated it, and it at least did a decent job telling a interesting psychological story.

The only other BRS concept that looks more interesting to me is the game one, which I have yet to play, but will as soon as it's localization is released.
From somebody who enjoyed the original OVA, I agree. The series in my opinion wasn't as good as the original, but it played around with some dark themes and pulled them off rather well. It even pulled off some clever and subtle imagery, like when Yuu has lost herself, she stops casting a shadow in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito-Kun View Post
Hayate No Gotoku. It's not necessarily hated? But it's not popular, so I guess people dislike it.

Hayate no Gotoku is definitely very loved, and it's ridiculously popular. Perhaps you're talking about the recent series "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"? That was much less loved, especially with fans of the original series.

With that said, with the release of Minami-ke Tadaima, I thought I'd mention that I rather enjoyed the Okawari and Okaeri seasons of Minami-ke, and almost as much as the original itself. The drastic changes required a little bit of time to get used to, but I think they gave the show greater depth overall. It's not like they killed off the original characters or anything either.
Old 2013-01-07, 16:26   Link #469
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
With that said, with the release of Minami-ke Tadaima, I thought I'd mention that I rather enjoyed the Okawari and Okaeri seasons of Minami-ke, and almost as much as the original itself. The drastic changes required a little bit of time to get used to, but I think they gave the show greater depth overall. It's not like they killed off the original characters or anything either.
Of all the Minami-ke theme songs, "Kokoro no Tsubasa" is actually my favorite. It's melodically different than the other three, and the visuals that accompanied it were kind of weird... but that's exactly what I liked about it. Some ambiguous imagery can spice up any show. And while every season is different, I do agree that they're still all part of the same thing, and should be viewed as one (mostly) cohesive unit.
Old 2013-01-08, 18:54   Link #470
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
And that's a problem?
Oh, I also know of TvTropes. It's just that I don't see it as a problem if a production team decides to go for popular plot ideas, just as long as the end-product is enjoyable.
Oh, I didn't mean it's a problem...

That's how I knew I was watching and absorbing enough anime though to recognize 'Oh look, there's a tsundere, there's a samurai type' or since we're referring to K, 'Oh look there's a catgirl'.
Old 2013-01-08, 18:59   Link #471
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ That's kinda problematic when you don't see characters as unique people in a certain universe but as a conglomerate of cliches.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-01-08, 21:30   Link #472
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
^ That's kinda problematic when you don't see characters as unique people in a certain universe but as a conglomerate of cliches.
Let me rephrase myself.....

It's not that I don't see characters as cliches...though I guess it depends more on the show. In this case, since K seems to be a big topic, it was pretty obvious that they're tropes, though characters like the HOMRA gang and Kuroh had their own quirks.

But then again, I'm a cynical bastard I guess...
Old 2013-01-08, 21:40   Link #473
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito-Kun View Post

Who said Hayate no Gotoku is bad?

Hayate no Gotoku is running a third season now so it definitely has enough popularity to sustain a continued effort.

As far as cliches, I certainly do pay attention to them. I see a lot of story elements and characterizations as being cliches. I recognize that they fit into a category and that they are a device in one way or another. However, I actually enjoy that. I both enjoy seeing how they work and I enjoy identifying them. Cliches aren't necessarily a bad thing, as they are more often than not inevitable. You'll always have characters who are like characters, and people who are like other people. There are only so many kinds of things that can exist. I suspect that kind of ties in to why you'll see trends in anime as far as character groups or genres. Those trends rotate around as things become old, and then other things replace them.
Old 2013-01-08, 21:42   Link #474
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Who said Hayate no Gotoku is bad?
he probably meant.. Bad Animation. It's brutal IMHO.
Old 2013-01-08, 21:57   Link #475
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Which season? Can't Take My Eyes Off You?

Old 2013-01-08, 21:59   Link #476
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
^ Which season? Can't Take My Eyes Off You?
Third season. Sorry I didn't specify it... Season 1 and 2 are good.
Old 2013-01-08, 22:09   Link #477
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Third season. Sorry I didn't specify it... Season 1 and 2 are good.
The style in Eyes Off You is rather poor. Considering we're kind of lucky to have seen a third season at all, I got over it pretty quickly. Hinagiku is all that matters.

It's not as bad as Gunslinger Girl il Teatrino though. Fine. You changed studios. Fine, you can't exactly copy Madhouse and stay consistent with them. BY THE GODS MAN, AT LEAST TRY! I had to do some quadruple takes and a huge rant about how mad I was within two minutes of starting the first episode. I actually had to physically work myself up and prepare for what I was getting myself into. I like Gunslinger Girl, but that massive of a change was really hard to put up with. SUCH A BAD STYLE FOR A VERY DARK ACTION SHOW!
Old 2013-01-10, 11:29   Link #478
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
While not everyone seems to hate Muv-Luv: Total Eclipse but most people complained the amount of fanservice and bad CG. What makes Muv-Luv good for me it reminds the good old days of Vandread and Macross Frontier but only darker.
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse was actually on my must watch list. It had a great starting, middle of the story was great, but then the last 7 or so episodes really went so far down the gutter that I can't possibly recommend this to anyone. Therefore, this show has entered my "anime to never watch again" list, which is something I don't usually do when watching a whole series. I'm the type that re-watches anime a lot.

----------
I don't know how many fans vs non-fans there are, but there was a show that I really really liked which had a fair amount of complainers at the time, namely Shuffle. Even though I didn't like the ending (only because I don't care for the character, she's the last on my list), it was very fitting for the way the story progressed.
Old 2013-01-18, 08:47   Link #479
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

While technically nobody hates Boy's Be but I think it needed more recognition from today's anime fans. It is the first romance and drama that intended to be seen by shounen and seinen audiences rather than more traditional male ones.

Most seinen heavy drama show like School Days and Yosuga no Sora had their roots in Boy's Be even though BB is not that extreme.
Old 2013-01-18, 09:25   Link #480
Fuyuno
Banned

I love Queen's Blade. I really do. I have no idea why many people hates this show.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-19 at 07:20. Reason: please do not put down others...
Closed Thread