AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 11 22.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 39.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 29.17%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 6.25%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-16, 12:06   Link #21
Bombo
TSF Fans

Hmmm not bad n7/10 for this episode
Old 2013-02-16, 17:06   Link #22
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

So the one person that has any idea as to why Yakomaru's attacking is flung awry via Saki's cantus to avoid a giant leech like blowdog's blowing up. How convenient...
Old 2013-02-16, 17:17   Link #23
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for Response from clues
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
She is confirmed dead through bone structure matching, dental records, and DNA testing. Although in anime generally nobody is really dead until we see the body on screen, I think in this case we can safely assume that it's not her since the source material is a novel Also: not a spoiler since it's just your speculation.
Old 2013-02-16, 21:38   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yakomaru frankly deserves to win. The amount of planning and preparation he's put into this is highly impressive. And when you consider the power of what he's going up against - An entire society of high level telekinetic-users, basically - It's absolutely amazing what he's managed to pull off.

I agree with Kanon on how Shisei is basically the humans' last hope here. But at the same time, I'm inclined to think that Yakomaru is too crafty to not have something specially prepared for Shisei.

On the whole, this was another nicely intense episode. The action scenes were very nice, especially the part where Saki was just tumbling/flying through the air. That was truly inspired visual work.

However, I admit I feel a bit sorry for Saki/Satoru shippers.
Old 2013-02-16, 21:48   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Did anyone else think the survivor Saki met looked quite a bit like Shun?
Old 2013-02-16, 22:16   Link #26
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiko_chan View Post
I am so jealous of all the people who have read the novel. Both in terms of being able to actually read the story in detail and also because they've been able to experience (or at least from what I'm seeing from everybody who has read it) fulfilling Satoru and Saki scenes. Gaaaaaah anime producers, why?!
It's not that they're fulfilling (they're not this is really not that kind of story), they're not even big things, just small things that are, I think, important for characterization. They just make the two of them more rounded, in more ways than one. And frankly I wouldn't even mind the anime leaving them out if it was for the same reason as all the other cuts and omissions (because duh, different medium, less time, etc.), except they seem to be very clearly avoiding this particular aspect of their characterization to the point of toning it down, and I just don't understand why.

Well, with only 5 episodes remaining, we'll see soon enough... (I can think of a few reasons, none of them are very good if you ask me, but who knows, maybe they came up with something worthwhile.)

Edit: Guardian Enzo put expressed my issue with this much better than I could in his episode review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
I'm guessing the director read the source material and ships Maria/Saki something fierce. I don't mind it, but I do think it's unfair to the story and its fans if you take other relationship details away for whatever reason. I'm curious if that's a time restraint/pacing choice or what, because as a non-novel reader, I think the pacing is pretty solid.
I suppose unless they're preparing for an original twist (and I don't think they're planning that), they just want to keep Maria as a presence for, well, obvious reasons. Which would be OK except I personally think they're going way overboard with it. Even in this episode, it's not even her presence that made me go "meh" it's the fact that they took something that was actually in the book and gave it a twist and an overtone that was, I think, quite different from what it was in the book and it just felt like pandering to me. (Lilies. xD;; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
They gave us something different but at least as interesting: the two of them realizing the one they both loved was the faceless one, more than they loved each other.
But they already know they loved the faceless one? They both realized it way back when they were 14. They even had a very nice scene for it. The point here was supposed to be how they never managed to get over him all this time because of their missing memories, and how messed up that is. That they're unable to deal with his death and their feelings for him, and move on, because he's like a scar that never heals, like a ghost in the room. (Though well, at least this way he keeps them going...)

Well, the writers here seem to be going with a different idea, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for speculation:
Jin? You mean Shun? (aka the faceless boy aka "X".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Poor Mamoru. They've totally forgotten his existence already, and that didn't require any brainwashing. It's sad how little they care about him. He was really the fifth wheel of the group (at least he had Maria).
Yeah, poor Mamoru.... I really feel the most sorry for him.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-02-17 at 07:15.
Old 2013-02-16, 23:19   Link #27
Azulay
Materialize!

Good episode, i didn't even felt the time pass The way that Yakumaru is attacking the village makes me think that or he has a great strategist or some way he learned about the war or fight os the humans.

Who is the mysterious creature?

Spoiler:

For Mamoru:

Spoiler:
Old 2013-02-16, 23:56   Link #28
Kirarakim

Yakomaru is certainly crafty and intelligent in ways the humans could never imagine because they couldn't begin to think that anything can be above their cantus.

But I hope this episode puts to rest Yakomaru is some type of noble freedom fighter. Unless you think noble freedom fighters have no qualms sacrificing his own troops (assuming no mistranslation). That should tell you what kind of character he is.

On another note I love this series I really do but I am also getting annoyed that they are cutting Saki/Satoru scenes. I don't really care that anime & novel are different mediums. This is an award winning novel (that I can't even read) I want to see the award winning novel story not changes the anime decides to make for no reason. And the fact that they are cutting actual Saki/Satoru scenes for new Maria scenes does annoy me & the fact that Mamoru is treated like nothing.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-02-17 at 00:33.
Old 2013-02-17, 01:06   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Yakomaru is certainly crafty and intelligent in ways the humans could never imagine because they couldn't begin to think that anything can be above their cantus.

But I hope this episode puts to rest Yakomaru is some type of noble freedom fighter. Unless you think noble freedom fighters have no qualms sacrificing his own troops (assuming no mistranslation). That should tell you what kind of character he is.
Actually, I see this very differently.

Saki openly wonders why the Queerats are so desperate to sacrifice themselves like this. Yakomaru may be the Queerats' trusted leader, but there's little doubt that he had to sell them on war with the humans, with "their gods". How did he sell that to them? What made them willing to endure high casualties like this?

Keep in mind that as you and kuromitsu love pointing out, Yakomaru's Queerat group was planning to attack the humans, and that is what this episode proves. Yes, this isn't strictly a war of self-defense for them.

Which, again, means that Yakomaru had to sell his people on war with the humans, and I doubt the queerats are so stupid as to not know what that likely meant for many of them. No matter how powerful Yakomaru is as a military leader/quasi-political figure, he still had to get his people to truly believe in this cause for it to happen (otherwise, Yakomaru himself would simply be taken out in an internal Queerat coup).

The Queerats must view the humans as horrible oppressors. They simply must. There's no other logical reason for them to choose to engage in a war that they knew would cost many of them their lives. They must believe that their cause is so worthy that the sacrifice of some will be worth it for the victory they hope it earns.

If Queerats view humans this way to the degree that many will give their lives to fight against the humans, then there's likely some legitimacy to the Queerats negative views of the humans. In which case, Yakomaru may still be a freedom fighter.

Let me make an admittedly controversial comparison here. Let me compare Yakomaru to this very (in)famous man, who perhaps fittingly is loved by many, and also hated by many others. Maybe someone should photoshop Yakomaru's face into that almost iconic photograph.

Viva le Revolucion! It looks like Yakomaru Guevara is about to topple Tomiko Batista.
Old 2013-02-17, 01:19   Link #30
Kirarakim

Saki specifically said that Yakomaru "ruthlessly sacrificed his own troops" that was what I was talking about. Now since I am going off a fansub that could very well be a mistranslation.

Of course I am sure the queer rats didn't enter the war because they just love to kill humans and yes Yakomaru was able to manipulate this situation because of the way humans so arrogantly treated them in the past. But that doesn't make Yakomaru in any way a hero.

And of course Yakomaru made the queer rats believe this was for their own good. This is Yakomaru we are speaking about. Manipulating and lying is his specialty. That doesn't mean there wasn't some truth behind what he said, but knowing Yakomaru there was a bunch of lies too.

I am not saying the humans are not partially at fault for what is happening, but I don't see how in anyway they deserve something like this.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-02-17 at 01:31.
Old 2013-02-17, 02:05   Link #31
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Let me make an admittedly controversial comparison here. Let me compare Yakomaru to this very (in)famous man, who perhaps fittingly is loved by many, and also hated by many others.
Nope, to me he's much more like this very (in)famous man instead (or perhaps this one, although he's not nearly as famous). I started thinking that last week, when the first wave of suicide bombers showed up. And given that the book was written in the mid-2000's, the analogy fits well.
Old 2013-02-17, 02:17   Link #32
ChronoReverse

Considering how the queerats treated each other in the past they're really no different from the humans. That is to say, nobody here has an ethical leg to stand up on.

Still, despite all the planning the queerats' attack hinges on the "fiend" on their side. Even Shisei cannot stand up to the the fiend after all.
Old 2013-02-17, 02:33   Link #33
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

To me it's all coming back as a cycle. Remember that as the series started there were snippets of stories at the start of each episode of how typical humans rose up against the powerful empires using Cantus to establish control over the rest of the self aware creatures.

The Queerats are simply fulfilling the role humans did centuries ago. It's a cycle of ironies, for humanity is subjected to the same fate it had subjected ancient empires long ago, destroyed by the very creatures they effectively spend a majority of their power and authority to prevent. Bitter irony.

So it all repeats for me. Eternal Recurrence and all that.
Old 2013-02-17, 02:37   Link #34
DummyInc

Mamoru looks like the fiend in the flashback isnt it?
Old 2013-02-17, 04:30   Link #35
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

After last week's excellent episode this week's was a little disappointing. That's only to be expected though. I don't think I would have been able to handle it if I had to hold my breath for another 24 minutes

Usually I watch an episode, process what happens, and move on with my business. Every so often I'll feel a thrill or a tug on my heart strings, but those instances are few and far between. I don't think I've ever watched an anime and truly felt what the characters were experiencing until this week. I found myself responding to their terror in a way that was somewhat unnerving. I couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to be in their place, absolutely terrified and hoping beyond hope that it will just be over.

I'm easily moved by beautiful animation, but this show was created in "Land of Very Tight Budgets" (as kuromitsu excellently put it) so I can't say that this show has that going for it. What it does have, however, is a cast of superb voice actors/actresses. I have them to thank for making me experience Saki and Satoru's terror and despair this week. Well done, everyone, well done!

I cannot wait for next week!

Edit: I forgot something. Satoru and Saki both mention Shun during their boat ride. Saki specifically says that she doesn't want to die without remembering his name. They're both adults so what has kept them from actively seeking out that information before now? From what we've been shown Saki is already being singled out by important members of for her opinion/advice/etc. so I don't quite understand why she hasn't asked anyone (*cough*Tomiko*cough*) yet.
Old 2013-02-17, 05:16   Link #36
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yeah, seeing as no one else interacted with the kid he might have been another hallucination on Saki's part or even a leakage induced manifestation of her subconsciousness.
Old 2013-02-17, 06:11   Link #37
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
And here I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me The moment I saw that kid I was like, "WTF?!! How is he?..........When did he?......" And then comes Saki and turns it boring
Old 2013-02-17, 06:29   Link #38
kuromitsu

Quote:
Let me make an admittedly controversial comparison here. Let me compare Yakomaru to this very (in)famous man, who perhaps fittingly is loved by many, and also hated by many others. Maybe someone should photoshop Yakomaru's face into that almost iconic photograph.
OK, this is not the same, but I couldn't resist.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

*hums the Hasta Siempre, Comandante song* Though Squealer is not going anywhere for the time being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Saki specifically said that Yakomaru "ruthlessly sacrificed his own troops" that was what I was talking about. Now since I am going off a fansub that could very well be a mistranslation.
No, that was what she said - that for him his people (including the mutants engineered just for the purpose of war) were mere tools to use and throw away as he sees fit. But hey, it's for la révolution! (to add some more languages into the mix ) *hums La Marseillaise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
Edit: I forgot something. Satoru and Saki both mention Shun during their boat ride. Saki specifically says that she doesn't want to die without remembering his name. They're both adults so what has kept them from actively seeking out that information before now? From what we've been shown Saki is already being singled out by important members of for her opinion/advice/etc. so I don't quite understand why she hasn't asked anyone (*cough*Tomiko*cough*) yet.
They can't really seek out any information - it's all locked away. Nobody else remembers (except of course Tomiko and a select few who won't tell them anything, anyway), and Tomiko told Saki that she can only get her memories back when she succeeds her as head of the Ethics Committee. At this rate it's not really information they need but rather a way to unblock their memories.

Also, I forgot to mention this earlier, but Taneda Risa is awesome and I really hope she's going to have more roles like Saki in the future (and not just moemoe roles in anime I wouldn't watch anyway ).

Also, I forgot this as well:
Quote:
However, I admit I feel a bit sorry for Saki/Satoru shippers.
This is not really a shipping issue... I do like those two together, but even that aside, it's weird and unnatural. They've been through hell together, they've experienced so many things together, they have a connection and an understanding that runs deeper than what they share with anyone else. They have hugged, they have held hands, they seeked emotional comfort from each other, they had sex (even if you want to think that was just a bonobo thing it still counts) - and then suddenly it's like nope, we're having none of that anymore? no hugging, no holding hands (even in the most innocent situations!), no touching whatsoever, never mind words of affection, as painful as they may be in the context... it's not even about any possible romance between the two, it's like they're pushing them apart. I really don't understand why this is necessary, and what they're trying to get at (if anything).

And it's not just Satoru and Saki. Part of why I'm so irked about the Maria ending and the Maria push is that in such a multi-faceted story it singles out one element and ignores many others, such as, for example, Shun who is also pretty damn important. One would think that in this last part it would be more important to have something that emphasizes the bonds between these kids and the role each of them plays in the story, not just the feelings of only one for only another.

Mind, this doesn't ruin the show, it's still excellent and I enjoy it a lot. But it's annoying.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-02-17 at 08:13.
Old 2013-02-17, 07:13   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking that too. I wondered if he was going to be a recurring character and potentially hinted as a reincarnation of Shun or some thing weird like that but no, he just left I guess the animators must have just been trolling us.
Old 2013-02-17, 08:08   Link #40
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I find this episode more creepy than the previous... that "hiding in the grass" was superb!!!!

Now grandma's wounded.... She's really old aren't she....

About the preview... was that "The Mask"? Is he the one talking who seeks total annihilation for the querrats?

Damn.. I thought I was watching Naruto in this episode...
Closed Thread