AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-13, 18:45   Link #1581
SailorStar9

Well, as long as the other Senshi get more screen-time and actually get love interests, instead of every single guy being in love with Usagi, I'm happy.
Old 2014-05-13, 19:09   Link #1582
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Outers had love interests...though it was each other.
Old 2014-05-13, 22:58   Link #1583
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorStar9 View Post
Well, as long as the other Senshi get more screen-time and actually get love interests, instead of every single guy being in love with Usagi, I'm happy.
Yes, part of me has always wanted them to explore the guardians + generals idea, which was rejected in the manga by Naoko's editors.
Spoiler:
Old 2014-05-14, 05:03   Link #1584
Casshern

I liked that idea as well, although I thought the brief romance with Nephrite and Naru in the original anime was also cute towards the end despite being abusive for the most part. I also liked how the generals got much more attention in the live action.
Old 2014-05-14, 05:11   Link #1585
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
^Essentially, this, this is why the complaints are so pointless. A lot of times with Toei the character designs in the PM do not resemble the character designs in series when animated. That or it ends up looking excellent when animated, so its really putting the cart before the horse to get bent out of shape from a few character designs that we don't even know will be used once the series is animated. That and many times when Toei animates a product they PM tends to look awkward or off model (if they are used at all), but they animate very well.

For references sake This is Heartcatch Precure!
Spoiler for for size:

But when animated this is what it looked like
Pretty sure everyone here either acknowledged that it may, at least to a degree, look better animated, so that makes this complaint about the complainants equally pointless....

----

With regards to romance, please, please no. No pointless romance drivel that wasn't even there, or only vaguely implied. This show has such a good focus on autonomy- remember Venus and Mars speech in that topic in the manga?

They already made Ami look silly and a lot more moe, that's enough.
There is no need to tack on a guy to everyone- there are enough shows about co-dependent females with boyfriends out there already (too many).
Usagi's romance with Mamoru is more than enough and even that can already be way too cheesy at times (Moon Kingdom suicide anyone? What the hell). Any more would be unnecessary.
Old 2014-05-14, 05:45   Link #1586
Casshern

To be fair people had different ideas about lovers' suicide 15 years ago, particularly in Japan since they have a specific word for it (shinjuu). These days people are more cynical about Romeo + Juliet.

Imo there should be more relationships, since romance is a big part of Sailor Moon, but I agree that having a boy for each senshi is a bit cheesy. I liked how the anime created different romantic situations for each senshi, but disliked how they all ended up in disappointment.
Old 2014-05-14, 06:51   Link #1587
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
To be fair people had different ideas about lovers' suicide 15 years ago, particularly in Japan since they have a specific word for it (shinjuu). These days people are more cynical about Romeo + Juliet.

Imo there should be more relationships, since romance is a big part of Sailor Moon, but I agree that having a boy for each senshi is a bit cheesy. I liked how the anime created different romantic situations for each senshi, but disliked how they all ended up in disappointment.
This is true and in all fairness, I kind of bought into the romantic aspect of shinjuu and suicide as a kid, due to the way it was portrayed in (mainly japanese) works like Sailor Moon, amongst a lot of others... * until I actually read R&J and was horrified. I was never able to see that play as a romance, it struck me as a cautionary tale right off the bat, and I didn't get why people thought it was romantic.. And as a result, I never saw any of the former as anything but appalling ever again.
But I get that it was a different time and all. Don't think it would resonate all that well today though. Wonder how they'll handle it.

Well... Personally I'm not a fan of relationships, particularly in a series like this that placed high emphasis on autonomy and the concept of not needing a man to be fulfilled. Anime in particular tends to treat girls less than progressively once they do enter a relationship or become interested in a guy. So, the way most of the girls were content in their role, expressly stated they had other priorities etc was one of my favourite things about the series.
I wouldn't mind if one of them maybe (Makoto?) got themselves a romance subplot, to avoid the constant disappointment, but nothing with too much focus and certainly not for the majority of the girls. It would potentially undermine one or the fundamental strengths of the series, imo.

*seriously, what the heck was I allowed to read..? A lot of it was Kaori Yuki, Clamp etc.
Old 2014-05-14, 06:58   Link #1588
minaku
Princess of Hades

qq
Quote:

It would be nice to explore at least the idea of Venus and Kunzite. They have to make justice to her being constantly neglected in the previous series and she has got a rather bitter romance in Sailor V manga. It would be interesting to make them fall in love again in the present, but kill off Kunzite towards the end. I love when the protagonists suffer. It would be a lot of drama to see all Naru/Nephrite tragedy, but more elaborated and with a main character ( not anyone but Minako, because she is the leader, she is special, beautiful, blond and need more attention!).
PS: Sorry for being Minako obsessed, but she is seriously neglected and underestimated

Last edited by minaku; 2014-05-14 at 07:13.
Old 2014-05-14, 08:31   Link #1589
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
qq

PS: Sorry for being Minako obsessed, but she is seriously neglected and underestimated
Yeah, I really like her too and she gets labelled as an airhead quite often- the anime did a "great" job at making matters worse.
She is meant to be capable, aware of her duties and independent, not preoccupied with boys.

She is the last person I want to see in a romance.
Old 2014-05-14, 10:34   Link #1590
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Yeah, I really like her too and she gets labelled as an airhead quite often- the anime did a "great" job at making matters worse.
She is meant to be capable, aware of her duties and independent, not preoccupied with boys.

Romance is not such a bad thing, especially if she is the savior and the guy is the "damsel in distress" Guys are always the one that whimper anyway :P
Old 2014-05-14, 11:08   Link #1591
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaku View Post
Romance is not such a bad thing, especially if she is the savior and the guy is the "damsel in distress" Guys are always the one that whimper anyway :P
That's just as bad. People constantly complain about Mamoru being "useless" already and he's not even entirely inferior.

Damsels in distress are never really fun or compelling to watch, regardless of what gender they are, nor do they make good partners to anyone but a mop.
E.g. The typical love interest in shows targeted at teen boys and in the typical mahou shoujo love interst. Both the same in that they're bland.
No thanks. I'm not holding out two weeks for an episode just for it to be mediocre boycraziness.
Old 2014-05-14, 11:15   Link #1592
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post

Wow, you seem to think that romance is objectively bad. Really? You can't imagine a well-written romance that doesn't take away from either character?

I wouldn't want every Sailor Scout to be in a romance, because they would seem a bit forced and over-the-top to me, but if a couple of them were in romantic relationships, I honestly think that would be nice and add some diversity to the cast. Besides, if none of them are in a romantic relationship, that would honestly seem a bit unrealistic to me in the other direction. I mean, if you randomly selected five teenagers, I'd kind of expect that one or two would be in a relationship.
Old 2014-05-14, 11:28   Link #1593
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Wow, you seem to think that romance is objectively bad. Really? You can't imagine a well-written romance that doesn't take away from either character?

I wouldn't want every Sailor Scout to be in a romance, because they would seem a bit forced and over-the-top to me, but if a couple of them were in romantic relationships, I honestly think that would be nice and add some diversity to the cast. Besides, if none of them are in a romantic relationship, that would honestly seem a bit unrealistic to me in the other direction. I mean, if you randomly selected five teenagers, I'd kind of expect that one or two would be in a relationship.
Indeed, in the manga it was so strange that I started to think all of them, except Usagi, are gay and in love with each other (it's not bad being gay, I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just the thing that is supposed to make Michiru and Haruka's relationship so special).
But male audience would love that :P
Spoiler:
Old 2014-05-14, 13:08   Link #1594
Casshern

I think the live action did romance really well, better than the manga and anime.
Spoiler for romance in pgsm live action:
Old 2014-05-14, 13:35   Link #1595
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

@3R I can, but usually it goes the wrong way. I'm particularly disillusioned because magical girl shows and their shonen equivalent are most prone to getting it wrong. Sailor Moon, ironically, hasn't come up with a straight romance I particularly liked (Usagi in the first arc put me off, mostly. Particularly the suicide reveal and constant whimpering over the guy) whereas it did it's homosexual ships very well-both canon and the fan favourite (ReixMinako, I hear. Which I can get behind. That would be far more fitting than bringing in some random to pair them up with).

But I'm not opposed to it per se. Like I said, Makoto for example would be a good candidate for an added romance, but Minako happens to be the worst, imo.
Her and Rei not being interested in chasing boys is one of the core strengths of the two characters I remember from the manga, and pushing them into an unnecessary romance with a new character would hurt that excellent bit of characterisation.

Quote:
I think the live action did romance really well, better than the manga and anime.
Spoiler for romance in pgsm live action:
:0 I didn't manage to sit through pgsm, but I could get behind this. Not sure about Ami, but apart from that, this is pretty much exactly how I could realistically see it going. MakotoxMotoki is something I always thought could or should have happened, that's why I can see her being in a relationship. But not Rei or Minako, for the above reasons.
Old 2014-05-14, 13:45   Link #1596
Miraluka
Banned

More than realistic looks like you want something to fulfill your desires, don't you? To the point of forgetting/dismissing Kumada or the contents from Parallel Sailor Moon from Naoko herself where Rei married a priest and has a daughter just like her senshi friends .
Old 2014-05-14, 13:49   Link #1597
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
More than realistic looks like you want something to fulfill your desires, don't you? To the point of forgetting/dismissing Kumada .
No Yuichiru in the manga, so no Yuichiru in the new anime (I hope cuz he really looked like a pedo to me. They never mentioned his actual age, but my guess is 27+ - odd). As for the Parallel Story it is just a parody, it has never been confirmed as the future. I hope they at least animate the Casablanca Memory side story
Old 2014-05-14, 13:54   Link #1598
Miraluka
Banned

^
Uh, my post was edited.

Also Mamoru(the real pedo) was older than Usagi and what the... how you got to make Kumada so old?

No, Naoko called it an idea as since it's extra work for the anniversary with Usagi's second daughter as protagonist.
Old 2014-05-14, 14:00   Link #1599
minaku
Princess of Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
^
Uh, my post was edited.

Also Mamoru was older than Usagi and what the... how you got to make Kumada so old?
In the manga Mamoru is exactly 3 years older than Usagi, being 17 years old, not in the college as in the anime. Yuichiru is drawn like an older guy, he obviously doesn't go to school (he can be like 16 as they can stop go to school at that age in Japan, but he looks ten times older than Mamoru and Motoki).
Old 2014-05-14, 14:02   Link #1600
Miraluka
Banned

That's because he left home, remember?

Also it's dumb to think the anime crew would make and old guy character to have a crush on a young girl, I mean are you serious ?
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo