AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-03-15, 04:12   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 898 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Time for more OP goodness! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "We'll Definitely Return". The ministory introduces us to the navigator of Hajrudin's crew, Road.

-As Big Mom's forces now focus their assault on Germa, the Vinsmokes tell Sanji to take Luffy and flee from the island. Shortly afterwards, Oven comes forward to confront Sanji's siblings. They tell him that they took out the army of Nusstorte, Big Mom's 12th son! This information freaks out Mont d'Or and Tamago at Whole Cake Island.

-Meanwhile, out at sea, Daifuku joins Smoothie on her ship. As for the Sunny, the Straw-Hats receive a call from Sanji through den den which instructs them to change locations. Back at Cacao, the Vinsmokes mow through BM's forces. In the midst of the chaos, Brulee shouts out that Luffy managed to defeat Katakuri, which shocks and angers all BM pirates present (including Mont d'Or, who was listening through the den den mushi). A particularly enraged Oven leaps at Sanji with his weapon, but he gets stopped by Ichiji, who lands a strike powerful enough to make a hole on the minister's body! Yonji also stops Yuen from knocking Sanji back to the ground a second time by literally making a weapon out of him! Niji then catches up with Sanji, telling him that he'll end up getting plugged full of holes at the current speed he's running, so he literally throws his younger brother towards the Sunny! As the cook flies toward the ship, captain in tow, some more BM forces try to shoot him down, but now it's Reiju who puts a stop to them. Soon, the crew on the Sunny spots Sanji and Luffy, who are almost aboard the ship....!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-03-16 at 08:00.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 12:01   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'll wait until the full chapter, but the spoilers make Sanji look pretty bad. He apparently gets shot while trying to run away and needs to be rescued once again by his siblings.
Old 2018-03-15, 12:39   Link #3
necrolyte

After reading the spoilers I really start thinking that Oda really dislikes Sanji. That was supposed to be his arc and he is constantly failing to do anything significant while he has been saved quite some times from whoever is near him..
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 13:54   Link #4
teejmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
After reading the spoilers I really start thinking that Oda really dislikes Sanji. That was supposed to be his arc and he is constantly failing to do anything significant while he has been saved quite some times from whoever is near him..
Isn't that common for "rescue" arcs, though? I mean, it wasn't like Nami and Robin were doing much when Luffy came to save them. This was more of an arc to further develop Sanji as a character, and see the cook actually come to rely on his shipmates, something that hadn't really happened before.
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-15, 17:35   Link #5
necrolyte

^Well, even if it is common the difference is that Nami and Robin were still new to the story when their rescue arcs were taking place while Sanji is already established as one of the Monster trio and people expected from him to be way more useful and powerful.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 01:54   Link #6
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
And he has Observation and Armament. Expectations much higher on him.
Old 2018-03-16, 03:08   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^ Not only that, Sanji was already "saved" half way through the arc so he isn't even burdened by that.

---

That said, after reading the actual chapter, the spoilers were a bit misleading and making it look like Sanji jobbed hard. This was actually a decent, action packed Germa 66 chapter!
Old 2018-03-16, 03:19   Link #8
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I'll expect no plot twist so let's assume they get away safely

the casualties are Pedro and most likely Pekoms except if he is saved by Germa66
Bege is most likely get away safely too

the profit.. they got Sanji.. and I believe the Phoneglyph as well because of Brook

This is Strawhat Pirates' overwhelming victories over Big Mom
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 08:09   Link #9
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

is sanji ever going to fight again? i thought this was supposed to be "the year of sanji"??

ever since the timeskip oda made sanji out to be such a hindrance... first with the whole stupid nosebleed skit that went on for way too long... then he can barely take vergo... then he became comic relief by switching body with nami... then he became a "maiden" that needs to be rescued... and now he's just running away (and having trouble even doing that)...

i mean really? how is this "the year of sanji"??
Old 2018-03-16, 08:10   Link #10
marvelB

Okay, I made a more accurate update to the summary! And hey, that giant Road looks pretty cool, IMO. Interestingly, he was first mentioned back in chapter 866, during Linlin's flashback, as just having been born in the Elbaf village around that time. Speaking of, another giant named Goldberg was mentioned in that chapter, as well. Will he also turn out to be a member of Hajrudin's crew....?

Anyway, it sure was cool seeing Germa in action. As for Sanji, I still wouldn't entirely rule him out of getting some action just yet, especially with Smoothie and Daifuku patrolling the sea. I've actually kinda been hoping that Sanji would have a rematch against Daifuku after their earlier scuffle back at the tea party. I still can't really see him taking on Smoothie though (her being a woman, and all), but I guess maybe Jinbei can take care of her? Then again, I'm also still curious about Judge's absence since Germa returned.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 10:37   Link #11
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
is sanji ever going to fight again? i thought this was supposed to be "the year of sanji"??

ever since the timeskip oda made sanji out to be such a hindrance... first with the whole stupid nosebleed skit that went on for way too long... then he can barely take vergo... then he became comic relief by switching body with nami... then he became a "maiden" that needs to be rescued... and now he's just running away (and having trouble even doing that)...

i mean really? how is this "the year of sanji"??
Here we go again, you do realize that they are surrounded by TONS of strong pirates, right? Plus he’s also kind of restricted hanging on to Luffy at the moment.

How did the nosebleed skit “run for too long”? It only lasted for a couple of chapters in a few panels. Also it wasn’t that Sanji “couldn’t take on Vergo” he just needed to get the marines out of that situation and didn’t have time for a full on fight.

Everyone also seems to forget that Sanji did play a significant role, MAKING THE CAKE FOR BIG MOM, there are other significant roles than just pure action you know.

Also the whole “year of Sanji” thing can apply to the whole Sanji family you know.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 11:10   Link #12
Twi

There's also the fact Sanji spent hours working on a cake and unlike the Zoro and Luffy, he spent most of his time learning to cook badass food... none of which they've had a taste of since he went missing.
Old 2018-03-16, 11:16   Link #13
SilverGlavenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
Here we go again, you do realize that they are surrounded by TONS of strong pirates, right? Plus he’s also kind of restricted hanging on to Luffy at the moment.

How did the nosebleed skit “run for too long”? It only lasted for a couple of chapters in a few panels. Also it wasn’t that Sanji “couldn’t take on Vergo” he just needed to get the marines out of that situation and didn’t have time for a full on fight.

Everyone also seems to forget that Sanji did play a significant role, MAKING THE CAKE FOR BIG MOM, there are other significant roles than just pure action you know.

Also the whole “year of Sanji” thing can apply to the whole Sanji family you know.
"Year of Sanji", not "Year of the Vinsmokes", that should be clear enough.

And yes, Sanji barely took on Vergo, his leg cracked when he clashed against Vergo's haki.

Considering how Sanji has been built up to be Zoro's rival, his performance after Time Skip has been lackluster, both in cooking and fighting.
SilverGlavenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 12:47   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I know Oda just wanted the Vinsmokes to look cool, but I wish he hadn't done it at the expense of Sanji. I really hope Sanji will get a proper fight before this arc ends. Yes, he made the cake and that's a crucial contribution, but this is a battle shounen. Being a strong fighter is important.
Old 2018-03-16, 15:16   Link #15
Kaz_

Another good week filled with Sanji getting his ass kicked and being carried, I see.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-16, 15:33   Link #16
Rainbowman

This chapter is going according as planned.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 01:14   Link #17
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I am so disappointed in how Oda's been writing Sanji, it's I'm his own arc too, well I wish Zoro fans luck in Wano, for all we know he could get year of Sanji treatment too LOL.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 06:25   Link #18
J4n1

I think people exaggerate Sanji's poor treatment.
He is cook first, planner second, fighter third.
Sure, it would have been nice to see him kick ass, but the goal was to escape, and he is doing so, help or no, and there's no way he could fight off all the enemies he is facing while carrying Luffy.
And i don't think Luffy or Zoro could either while trying to carry a wounded comrade.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 06:43   Link #19
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

And the Sanji bitching continues...

This chapter wasn't even negative towards Sanji but rather Germa 66 focused. And people are still complaining about Sanji!?

I want Sanji to have his moment before the arc ends as well but right now the situation doesn't call for it. This is a get-in,get-out scenario and there's no time for Sanji to be dominating. Leave it to Germa 66 to secure a path for him.

My guess is IF Sanji is going to have a moment or fight it will be with Big Mom herself. Chiffon specifically changed course from Liquer Island to Puffs Island in fear of Big Mom regaining her senses and then quickly catching up the Straw Hats. I'm betting that's not going to be enough either. She will quickly catch up the Sunny and act as the final obstacle to clear in order to escape. With the Straw Hat Pirates already exhausted from outrunning Big Mom and her crew for multiple hours, it will be Sanji's time to shine.

Now with all that said, if Sanji doesn't get any further moment or resolution of his character in this arc, I'll be right there with you all with the criticism.
Old 2018-03-17, 08:01   Link #20
Theia_Loki

The majority of the Big Mom Pirates might be in utter disbelief right now, but they'll have to face the facts once they hear Katakuri confirm what Brulee said. Even if they don't want to, he doesn't seem the type that would care if his loss is public knowledge anymore.

And to be honest, Daifuku's Genie isn't what I'd call "reliable". Carrot tricked it into taking out his entire fleet, so I'm betting on Sanji making that go crashing into him. Would be worth it to see the look on his face when that happens. ^_^
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote