Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-17, 10:45   Link #1
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Dragon Age III: Inquisition

http://www.dragonage.com/inquisition

Dragon Age III has been 100% confirmed now, we've known it's been in development for a while now but now they've unveiled it. It seems they'll be using Frostbite 2 to power the game.

Story details haven't been revealed, but you can probably guess what it's about from the title.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 10:57   Link #2
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Mhm...

Well, as someone who wasn't as dissapointed by DA2 as others, I'm am of course very courious what they have learnt and what they will do better now.
Old 2012-09-17, 11:01   Link #3
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Shit, Dragon Age 2's been on my backlog of things to complete. Guess I better bump it up on the list.
Old 2012-09-17, 11:08   Link #4
james0246

Very excited. I am definitely a fan of DA2's storyline, so I can't wait to see what a potential sequel to that storyline will show us. Sadly, this is probably 2.5 years away...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 11:26   Link #5
SidVicious
Anime addict

DAIII needs more Morrigan.
Old 2012-09-17, 12:11   Link #6
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Well with Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3'e ending being huge disappointments I don't have high expectation for this.
Old 2012-09-17, 12:16   Link #7
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
DAIII needs more Morrigan.
Yes, she better be... it is canon that Morrigan and Warden went into the mirrior after all.

I Want her to be nice and a little bitchy to the Warden, but all bitchy to the others lol. only he has earned her niceness.
Old 2012-09-17, 13:00   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Well with Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3's ending being huge disappointments I don't have high expectation for this.
Yeah, that's how I feel. Story-wise Dragon Age II was a serious disappointment and Mass Effect 3's ending was a disaster.

May not be guaranteed that I won't buy DA3, but I'm going to wait to be sure they actually get it right. Always a chance Bioware can bounce back...maybe .
Old 2012-09-17, 13:11   Link #9
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I really hope it's going to be better. They opened an open discussion back then in their forums asking about what sorts of development would they see for the next DA games. Since many of the staffs were there that also contributing in that discussion, I guess we will see those developments in this game.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 13:30   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I never played the second game but I liked the first quite a bit. If this follows the story of the second, I may read a quick recap elsewhere to get ready for it.
Old 2012-09-17, 13:48   Link #11
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

DA2 was a multi facet failure in my eyes.

The plot was awful: a majority of the story can be cut from the game and it would form the introduction of an "actual" story. A lot of the major elements in DA:O were missing. Where are my grey wardens? I want to see more dark spawn! Why did (forgot the name of the dragon-witch) only make a cameo? She could have done so much more!

They also tried to make an impact, but feels out of place and out of character. "umm.... did Anders REALLY just did that?"

For now I will just treat DA2 as the origin story for DA3.

Plot aside, the setting was terrible too. The same few zones were reused over and over. Dungeons were reused with only a particular pathway sealed off and entrance and exit swapped.

Quests were also very plain.

The amount of enemies in the game were very limited. They are all the same few archetypes: the warrior, the mage, and the rogue that 1 shots you.

The combat system is horrible. A lot of things are burst oriented. Spell combos for example. Because of the lack of "passive regen", your character would basically "use up all its stamina/mana", do nothing but auto-attack until you get more/drink potions.

"Look! There is more of them!"

The equipment of DA:O and DA:2 were very insignificant (other than some elemental weapons). You pretty much only get more armor and damage: would like to see some "secondary stats" to make the game more interesting. Similar to how blood mages would try to wear as much blood magic efficiency items as possible. (because the stat actually meant something to them)

Because of the friendly fire system in higher difficulty (and the game is too easy on the lower difficulties), a lot of spells became very useless. I believe they eventually made it a little better, but I remember bringing in another melee character and my warrior just "accidentally" kill him over and over and over and over until I just do not care about his injuries anymore. You want to use pretty fire spells? That rogue in your party is going to die (if not already dead) if you had it on autocast...

The only memorable thing for me would be the Arishok (sp?) in DA2: he had some pretty bad ass lines. Too bad his fight was just about dodging his charges and slapping him for a few seconds: rinse and repeat 100 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I never played the second game but I liked the first quite a bit. If this follows the story of the second, I may read a quick recap elsewhere to get ready for it.
Spoiler for plot 101:
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 13:52   Link #12
Blaat

I'll only get this game if I'll be able hide behind a curtain, jump out and shout "no one expects the Chantry inquisition!"
Old 2012-09-17, 14:32   Link #13
Destined_Fate

I was burned out too much by DA2 and ME3 not living up to expectations and the following PR mess. So I'm not hyped at all for this. If it is an improvement I might buy it used... Yeah, I'm being spiteful because Bioware broke the trust I had in them.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 14:59   Link #14
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
You really didn't miss much.
Old 2012-09-17, 16:07   Link #15
james0246

Quote:
It was an interesting story with very good characters (and good voice acting) burdened by many many many design flaws, annoying superfluous quests, and uninspired dungeons (its not so much that they were uninspired, but rather they were the same 5 or so dungeons all the time over the course of a storyline that lasts 10 or so years). Still, the characters and basic story are well worth the price of admission, and I can't wait to see what will be carried over from the second game.

---

That being said, let's not get in to too much hate for DA2 and ME3 in this thread. If anyone wants to bitch and moan about Bioware, just go back to the ME3 thread, since it seems its only purpose now is to complain about Bioware. Let's focus on what we want to see, not what went wrong (sometimes horrifically) in the past...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 16:43   Link #16
willx
Nyaaan~~

Oh! I'm looking forward to this .. albeit with mixed feelings due not to DA2 but to ME3

I LOVED the ME franchise .. and like in "Planet of the Apes" I would accuse them of "blowing it up!" .. as for DA2, I thought it was OK but unpolished. I could understand what they were trying to do, but felt like they whiffed it a bit.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 16:51   Link #17
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
They opened an open discussion back then in their forums asking about what sorts of development would they see for the next DA games.
I only posted once in the DA forums, but I did it in a similar thread like the one you mention here. Back then, my only suggestion was for them to keep the game offline, or at the very least, make online (if any) optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Spoiler for plot 101:
Now that was a quick recap. It does tells me something I more or less suspected about the inquisition bit in the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It was an interesting story with very good characters (and good voice acting)
Yeah, I have heard that the characters themselves were the best part of DA2.
Old 2012-09-17, 17:16   Link #18
Who

The release date isn't too bad, in my eyes. Q4 of 2013? Hopefully, it'll get delayed until Q1/2 of 2014.

I hope the co-op portion of the game is developed by a different studio like with ME3, so that the main team focuses solely on the single player portion.

I don't know why, but I'm still holding out on hope that DA3 will be the game that'll get Bioware back to its original roots after DA2 and ME3.

Edit:

Also very interested in what the game will look like with the new Frostbite 2 engine.

Last edited by Who; 2012-09-17 at 17:32.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 17:45   Link #19
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Well...
+ Moving to a new engine might allow the team to do a lot of things they couldn't have done in the past.
- But at the same time it depends on whether or not they are willing to commit the effort to make it a good game.

Even though the marketing reps praise DA2 as a success, advertising the questionable high scores given by critics, I have faith that the development team know they have really messed up in DA2. DA2 flopping might explain the surprisingly lack of DLCs and even an DA:Awakening-like expansion.

Now is a good time for people to give feedback and tell the developers about our expectations.

Wrt multiplayer: I would say, not yet. There is much for the team to do in single player.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-17, 18:08   Link #20
Who

At the very least, I'm glad they're listening to people.

One of the things I remember seeing a while back is the armor customization for characters. They're keeping the unique individual look for each companion, while allowing players to switch their companions' armor pieces/sets around. The pieces/set is also reflected on each character.

http://greywardens.com/2012/04/new-c...tion-revealed/
Who is offline   Reply With Quote